PDA

View Full Version : Gearux makes a table!!!

Gearux
14-03-2007, 01:44
After years of talking about making one I've finally decided to build a gaming table. Heres my plan:
Have 3 2' by 4' section that can be put together to from a 6' by 4'table. I will make several different sections, but for right now I'm making two plain grass sections and one with a river running across it.
I just bought a whole bunch of supplies today and I'm going to go get the Polystyrene for the board itself tommorow.
Please watch this spot as I will try to update it as often as possible. Criticism welcome!:)

swamp_slug
14-03-2007, 17:07
I always like reading terrain logs, I eagerly await pictures.

Gearux
14-03-2007, 19:37
Ok minor update, I bought the polystyrene to make the board. I got giant 4' by 8' piece that I will cut into 4 4' by 2' segments. I will hopefully be putting up some pics before the end of the week.

jubilex
17-03-2007, 13:48
I don't know if you thought about this, but it is how I went about making my board. The idea behind it was to make it as flexible as possible. So I painted the table top to look like water. Loads of shades of green, then buried it all in a ton of pva. So, I had a giant lake then! Next up were 4 2x2 1" thick polystyrene boards. These had two coats of sand and pva put on them and were then painted in grey/drybrushed with white and patches of flock added. Hey presto, it's Norway. So, I've got a lake that can be partially/fully obscured by terrain boards. Next up were four 2x4 sections of base boards, 1 edge (each one) of which was chamfered to look like a hill contour. These can be used to expose areas of water to create rivers and lakes. They can also be laid across the board to create a contour across it. We have enough to go from water at one end of the table, to four contours at the other. Side of a river valley if you like. Its also easy to make beaches in the same way. The whole set up is really flexible. Hope that may help/be of interest.

BaronDG
17-03-2007, 15:52
This is my table:

http://www.vacuumtempus.org/bordbygge.html

At least the first 2*4 section. The water pools are 2 cm below the table edge and I can cover them with other terrain pieces or even a piece of ordinary ground that I have prepared.

Gearux
30-03-2007, 21:22
Hi all! Sorry its been a while. School is crazy right now, and I have a new computer so I don't know how to put transfer pictures right now. Expect a real update with pictures before monday.