PDA

View Full Version : Questions about this game

Hulkster
17-03-2007, 21:54
I have been looking at this game and it looks interesting.

Could anyone give me a rough idea of the rules without obviously telling me them?

How many pts do you typically play?

How much does it cost to make an army of that size roughly?

How long does it take to play a game roughly?

Steam_Giant
17-03-2007, 22:36
The rules are easy to learn and fast to play. Points-wise i've only managed to play 30-60 point proxy games. So run through this forum to get a better idea of sample flight numbers. As for Cost? See the forgeworld website www.forgeworld.com. As i said before its a fast game, however i guess it depends on the size of the game you are playing. Why not check your local groups to see if anyone will show you a game ?

Hulkster
17-03-2007, 23:10
No one at my group plays, hell there is only 4 of us, and there is no GW store near by

I was asking about the cost as in the cost of a typical 'army' in this game. I want to know if I can afford to get 2 or 3 different 'armies'

CaptainSenioris
17-03-2007, 23:29
Squadrons vary from 60 pts for a small game to 200pts for a large game.

60 pts could cost you 24 plus postage
200 pts could cost you min 48 eg 8 thunderbolts plus weapons.
You'll also need the book and some manouvre cards.

A game with a couple of planes can last from 15 mins(don't ask) to 40 mins.

I'm gonna try a bigger game this week will let you know how it plays, only just finished getting a decent sized squadron together.

If you're ever in Edinburgh PM me and I can tell you wher my club is so you can have a game.

Hulkster
17-03-2007, 23:33
Edinburgh is a long way for me lol, but thanks if I ever am I will pm you

thanks for the info on prices, and please tll me how the large game goes

robertsjf
18-03-2007, 13:37
Hulkster, do you have any epic armies with flyers and flak in them? If so, you already have an army...

Hulkster
18-03-2007, 19:43
No

and even when I did play epic I never had any flyers. lol

CaptainSenioris
23-03-2007, 17:02
Right I said I'd let you know ho my large game went so here goes:

As so many people turned out wanting to play I didn't play my original 140 point game instead we played a massive 280 point game involving 5 players and around 30 planes.

-Our battlefield was of a 6' by 4' table, half covered in card epic sky scrapers and half covered in an airport with 3 runways a couple of bunkers and some hydras(control of which was decided by dice rolls each turn). If I do say so myself for an aeronautica board it looked awesome.

-The two forces were a joint imperial navy/space marines squadron vs an aliance between chaos and eldar pirates(we just wanted to make it even there was no real background to it).

-Our objectives were:

Imperial: Damage the city as much as possible, attempt to land the thunderhawk and thunderhawk transporter in the city and prevent the enemy from detroying the airport.

Chaos/Eldar: Disable the airport and prevent the Imperium from Damaging the city and landing the space marines.

The game was fun but we won't play an aeronautic game of that magnitude for a long while.

The first problem we came across was that due to the number of objectives and different abilities on each side the objectives were kind of uneven, in future to solve this I may make sure that objectives are kept to a 'one side must do this, the other must prevent it' style so to keep things simple.

The second problem was landing, in order to land a thunderhawk it has to slow down which is impossible for a power diving thunderhawk, we started at max altitude to represent them descending from space, 6' just isn't enough table to slow down on, there are ways I could have tried such as jo-joing to slow me down more but I was too preoccupied trying to aim myself away from hitting skyscrapers which was quite fun in itself.

The third problem was Hell talon's, as much as they are bombers and they are awesome, they just aren't very good at bombing, the payload is in no-way big enough. You'd need a lot of them to even make a dent in most Epic scenery like bunkers and runways, we only had 2.

The fourth problem to a certain extent was the number of players, we all had fun but not having contol of all of the planes caused problems over who would go next etc.

The fifth problem was time, managing that many planes with that many people took time we got through half a game in 2 hours.

There were loads of funny moments though eg a lightning not turning enough and hitting a building, the marauders racking up more kills from turrets than the fighters and my ace(which was supposed to be me in-game) getting shot down in turn 2.

So in conclusion, Aeronautica is awesome but keep the games small unless you are really well prepared.

I hope that wasn't oo much to read.

Steam_Giant
23-03-2007, 20:01
Sounds like REAL Aerial Warfare !!

Congratz on the epic battle !! (LOL)

CaptainSenioris
24-03-2007, 00:00
Sounds like REAL Aerial Warfare !!

Congratz on the epic battle !! (LOL)

Cheers, much apreciated.

Hulkster
24-03-2007, 10:59
sounds like it was fun

I maye have to get the book in a couple of months

thanks for getting back to me

Brother_Bethor
25-03-2007, 17:00
Thanks for battle report.

-Our battlefield was of a 6' by 4' table

The second problem was landing, in order to land a thunderhawk it has to slow down which is impossible for a power diving thunderhawk, we started at max altitude to represent them descending from space, 6' just isn't enough table to slow down on, there are ways I could have tried such as jo-joing to slow me down more but I was too preoccupied trying to aim myself away from hitting skyscrapers which was quite fun in itself.

Well, I've managed to land with my lone T'hawk on table with the same dimensions. My flying beast was facing two Ork Fightas. Our initial positions were along short edges facing each other. Thunderhawk was power diving from outer atmosphere (alt 9). Not only I've landed, but I did escaped into space and in the meantime I've shot down one of the interceptors. All of this in the standard 12 turns. :D

CaptainSenioris
26-03-2007, 09:12
Nice one, I'll have to give it another go at some point.

Slekith
26-03-2007, 10:56
Pretty good job! Try to improve the rock texture though, paint job is good I mean the "modeling" process. Congratulations.

CaptainSenioris
28-03-2007, 13:12
I think somebody made a quick reply in the wrong window.