PDA

View Full Version : A tribute army

Oakenshield
29-03-2007, 14:31
Hi guys,

I have recently been thinking of getting back into Warhammer 40,000 and was thinking of putting together an army in tribute to veterans. Not as a gift par se but just something to get me thinking about the seriousness of war.

I was thinking of an Imperial Guard force but with the helmets converted to the flat "Tommy Aktins" style:

http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/exhibitions/changingTheWorld/images/102932.jpg

Is this possible with the current plastic Cadians?

I was going to theme the army constrution as well to a WW1 style using mostly infantry and fixed guns. Do the vehicle design rules still exist as I want to use a Leman Russ without the turret as a support vehicle for the infantry?

Finally I was thinking of trying to build the army up by using sources such as e-bay or independant retailers to try and save myself some money. However I think that for every "deal" I get I should donate the difference to the British Legion.

Anybody got any ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Shadow Lord
29-03-2007, 14:39
Vehicle design rules still excist...as for the look of the "Tommie-style army"...that's going to be pretty hard. Maybe you can look for the sprues you need in the WHFB-section...or make them yourself with green stuff if you're handy enough!
But I'm sure there are others out there tht can help you out more specific!
Good luck and post your results if it works out, I'm curious...

sigur
29-03-2007, 14:42
I guess it would be easier to use Steel Legion miniatures for that, but Cadians with Catachan heads (or even Men-at-Arms heads with slightly converted helmets) might work too if you want to keep it on the inexpensive side.

Apart from that...I don't think that 40k is the best medium to express any tributed to real-world veterans or the seriousness, stupidity and cruelty of war.

Mother_Mercy
29-03-2007, 14:44
Some of the Brettonian archers from WHFB have helmets quite like those old brittish soup bowls. Could try ordering a whole bunch from Battlewagon bits.

Oakenshield
29-03-2007, 14:45
I was thinking of just slicing the top off the cadian helmet and modelling it myself. I am a little conserned about the side parts of the helmet however.

Sigur: Why do you think that? (This is not an attack...I do just want to know :) ) I think that 40k is quite a valid idea for it. I was put well off historical games (both miniature and computer) by the attitudes by a lot of players and also the moral minefield it creates.

If I can create a lasting "creation" and hopefully donate a bit on the side I think it is quite a valid idea.

sigur
29-03-2007, 15:19
Since you came up with the minefield metaphor: I think that 40k is a clown in said minefield. Sure, there is no real seriousness about it; yet, there are these underlying ideas. I just think that trying to express something serious in a 40k army without cloaking it in irony can't work that well. It's a bit like the people who directed Charlie's Angels adding a serious scene about a serious topic (AIDS or whatever). It just looks out of place.

This is just my personal point of view, maybe you're looking at it in a different manner. I you want to make a WW1/british army-themed IG army, but I have a bad feeling about the idea of seeing it as a tribute to people who died/suffered in a war.

Oakenshield
29-03-2007, 15:22
Hmm I can see what you mean. It may look like I am trying to use the WW1 theme because it is "cool" like the people who like daubing nazi signia on armies.

Maybe I could just put together an army at a discount and keep with the donation policy.

*goes for a ponder*

sigur
29-03-2007, 15:37
The idea behind your sketch is alright and doesn't have much to do with the nazi insignia guys. It's more like the mere presence of such people which undermines your whole idea.

Go for an IG army with the typical british helmets and according heavy weapons. You would get a very characterful army and donating is always a nice idea (if you can afford it).:)

Mother_Mercy
29-03-2007, 16:01
I think Sigur's point (with which I agree) is that you can theme your army any way you damn well like (yes, even an SS-theme, if you do it tastefully). And donating money to veterans is always a noble thing.

But making a toy army as a serious *tribute* to real soldiers...well, it's a bit like modelling your gaming table as a flooded city in tribute to the victims of hurricane Katrina. A flooded city game table would be awesome...only not as a "tribute" to people who actually suffered through the real thing.

Do the army, donate the money...but don't take your army so seriously. A tribute should be a bronze statue, not a little plastic toy ;)

Templar Ben
29-03-2007, 16:08
Apart from the Tribute debate, I am also doing a WW1 IG style army. I am using Brettonian Men at Arms for the heads. Hope that helps.

gitburna
29-03-2007, 19:40
This is not
The best army in the world
This is just a tribute

ww1/2 could be cool.

You'd probably be looking at the death korps of krieg type of organisation, lots of mortars and field guns, machine guns etc, and some heavy tanks like the russand demolisher. It would all be very evocative of muddy trench fighting.you could even try modifying the rifles a bit like the vostroyan weapons were.

loveless
29-03-2007, 20:15
This is not
The best army in the world
This is just a tribute

oh gitburna, if he went along with that he'd have to play traitor guard or LatD

so there could shine a shiny daemon
in the middle
of the road

etham
29-03-2007, 22:38
I think I agree with Sigur on this issue, although I'm sure my veteran relatives will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Basically I think 40k glamorizes all of the worst parts of war in a way that makes this project slightly askew.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, though. Any art that is inspired by the trials and sacrifices of veterans is a good thing when taken with the appropriate amount of sobriety.

Something else to think about is the humor to be found within this dire subject. A good example is the film Life is Beautiful (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/). It's a VERY heavy and sad film with lots of humor. I think that might be a mood worth looking into for this, although I don't know how to represent it aesthetically.