PDA

View Full Version : Help with my dark elves!!!

animal64
30-03-2007, 08:02
So i am relatively new with fantasy (ive played about a total of 3 games) and i need some help expanding my dark elves force.
Currently i have the following:
5 CoKs, 11 Dark riders (i have no idea how i ended up with 11 i think i got an extra one?), 2 Reaper bolt throwers, Noble on Cold one (malus model), sorceress, and i believe around 32 spearmen.

So what should i add? I really like the executioner models, although im not sold on their abilities. would a block of 15-18 of them be a bad idea?? I was also told that warriors w/ RxBs were a good idea, but i just dont really like them, not trying to run a gunline i do enough shooting in 40k hah. Alright if anyone has any suggestions they are greatly appreciated!

Vattendroppe
30-03-2007, 08:50
According to my experience you should get around two units of 10 models with repeater crossbow. Just devastating.

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-03-2007, 09:08
RXBs with Shields are the single best unit in the DE army. You really should get a couple of units of those. If your afraid of ending up with a gunline, I'd drop the RBTs in favour of the RXBs, but 2 units of RXBs and 2 RBTs isn't anywhere near a gunline, and Dark Elves really do need a bit of shooting to thin out enemy support units.

Also, executioners are pretty good. Fairly cheap(for elves) and they pack a nice punch in a fight.

Personally I run them 21 strong, with a Banner of Murder for that extra charge range. Makes there great weapons deadly. Just don't imagine that there killing blow does anything. It's a gimmick that might prevent your opponent hitting them with characters, but rarely does it actually kill anything.

animal64
30-03-2007, 09:26
How about witch elves? how are they? they seem like, to me, to have a big ass bullseye on them esp. w/ no armour save

Gimp
30-03-2007, 10:40
Witch Elves well there very specific.

Against heavy infatry (like chaos chosen) and heavy cavalry they bounce right off them in close combat.

However when it comes to light infantry well thats another stroy. They mince and hack their way through them its scary.

Two examples of mine.

3 witch elves (command) charge a unit of High Elf archers. Over-run into a unit Lion Guard and kill them too in the next round.

5 withc elves charge a unit of night goblins destroy that then over-run into a unit of orc big-uns. Next round kill them to and over-run them. My next round charge some rock lobba.

The ideal way to use them is too have 7 to 6 models wide in the front this gives you 22 attack if you have a hag. This is enough to make sure nothing really strikes back. So you porberally want your unit to be 12 to 14 models in total. Oh one last thing give your Hag manbane. Makes her realy good at taking down big stuff.

sigur
30-03-2007, 10:58
CO Chariots are very nice units to support your infantry. RxB Warriors with shields indeed are great units (very flexible but that comes at a price). Another Sorceress couldn't hurt, as well as an alterntaive Noble.

But what you really need are either Harpies or Shades, preferrably both to be able to switch. You just need this kind of unit for and marchblocking, harassing and such. If you're cunning enough, you can do that with your Dark Riders too but Harpies and Shades just come in handy in several situations.

Executioners do fairly well in bigger blocks due to them being quite on the cheap side.

Bregalad
30-03-2007, 11:23
Have a look at the Tactics forum where such questions are dealt with.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
30-03-2007, 14:37
i'd say get either 10 witch elves or executioners.
RXBs are a must. I'd stay with 1 sourcerous.

Mangosta
31-03-2007, 00:55
10 or 20 RBXs.

If you want to expand your forces start with the core units first, you will always use it.

Venkh
31-03-2007, 02:55
I would get some harpies

Excellent march blockers, mage/machine hunters, screeners, baiters, decoys, light unit killers, enemy in the wayers etc etc etc.

Chariots work well with warriors you might want to get one or two.

I dont use rxb warriors at all anymore, I use shades and dark riders for my RXB shooting instead. Its not like there is anything wrong with them, its just that i dont see them as really vital.