PDA

View Full Version : Price increase official

Vic
30-03-2007, 19:33
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/516973/

Executive Summary: Buy your GW stuff now at the lower price.
Here's my must buys before the increase:

Grey Knight Brother Captain Stern
Rohan Captain
Eldar Heavy Weapon Platform
Eldar Ulthran Farseer of Ulthan
Dwarf Lords Dain and Balin

Steel_Legion
30-03-2007, 19:34
just got this from an Email:
"All blister and boxes priced £9 will increase by £1
All blister and boxes priced £10 will increase by £2 "

The game is afoot
30-03-2007, 21:13
This is a novel approach from GW, a price hike, who would have believed it. :rolleyes:
They are nothing if not consistent.

DonkeyMan
30-03-2007, 23:29
Maybe someone should tell GW that there are amounts less then 1£.

They don't need to raise the "cheaper" (nothing is cheap with GW anymore) blister by 1£ directly.

lord_blackfang
30-03-2007, 23:37
I didn't know GW even sells anything cheaper than £12 :p

the_dark_sarge
31-03-2007, 07:50
does any one know if there will be a price rise in australia

kieran

Shadowheart
31-03-2007, 08:13
At least it looks like that huge price increase on the mounted Daemonettes isn't happening.

Don't see why they put Durin & Mardin and the Dwarf Ballista on it, since they won't be released until after the hike anyway.

the_dark_sarge - this price increase is for the UK only. But of course the rest of the world's going to get a hike sooner or later too. And another, and another...

scarletsquig
31-03-2007, 08:18
In fact, they only introduced the letters system of price coding to make regular price rises easier.

"Oh, sorry kid, that's £24 now"

"Are you sure?"

"Positive :) "

Darkseer
31-03-2007, 08:22
I'll take 6 chaos termies and 6 furies.
That's it, chaos army finished.
Carry case full.

Tyron
31-03-2007, 10:36
Ya hey Skaven are untouched!

However with the Space Marine combat squad at £10 now will that mean Space Marine tactical squads will be £20? And if that's the case will all the £18 boxes be £20? :angel:

BlazeXI
31-03-2007, 10:43
Thank god for ebay....

I will repeat myself for yet another time. Price rises by GW affect Independent dealers and ebay prices as well. The GW price being a RRP price is a benchmark for them.
Essentially avery ebayer looks at GW prices and estimates his price. How many times have you seen ebay listing with sentences like: "GW price is 10 GBP you can buy mine for half"?
Even if the seller does not care (his missues commands him to get rid of the hobby) us the buyers compare that price to GW's retail price.

Wintermute
31-03-2007, 11:02
However with the Space Marine combat squad at £10 now will that mean Space Marine tactical squads will be £20? And if that's the case will all the £18 boxes be £20? :angel:

No it doesn't mean the £18 boxes will rise to £20.

GW are raising the prices of the models they didn't increase last year. They (usually) only raise the price of an item every two years. Therefore, the £18 boxes are not due to increase in price until next year.

Tyron
31-03-2007, 11:14
Then why sell combat squads to £10 if it will cost more to get them then a tactical squad?

JT-Y
31-03-2007, 14:18
Thats exactly why Tyron.
The reasoning is similar to the battleforces and battalions and when ordering individual frames from direct; a bigger box works out slightly cheaper.

GW is very loathe to increase the £18 boxes again, admitting, in theory at least, that it is expensive. Hence the new £12 boxes with fewer men in them.
Truth there is that two of those boxes costs £24, so it was a stealth price hike and they thought customers wouldn't notice.

I'm interested to see what goes up in september/october, following current trends and all...

Archaon
31-03-2007, 15:01
Happened the same with the new Fantasy Empire boxes

Usual regiment sizes for mediocre troops were 16-20 models for 30 Euro. New Empire core troops are sold 10 miniatures (and bits for command) for 18 Euro so to get the same you'd have to pay 6 Euro more and have useless extra bits.

Another stealth price increase

Warwolt the skaven
31-03-2007, 15:47
uh, actually you do get 15 minis in that box, no?

Exterminatus
31-03-2007, 16:23
[sarcastic mode]
YES! Another price increase! I can't wait to spend my hard earned cash on overpriced models! This is a day that will be rembered for a long time!
[/sarcastic mode]

Honestly, what can you do about it. The only thing that will seriously affect GW is when people just don't buy the miniatures anymore. As long as people buy the miniatures at very high prices, GW can do what they like. I can't blame them though.... if you had a second hand car and could sell it for $100 or a $1000, at which price would you sell it ;)

DonkeyMan
31-03-2007, 16:31
Honestly, what can you do about it. The only thing that will seriously affect GW is when people just don't buy the miniatures anymore. As long as people buy the miniatures at very high prices, GW can do what they like. I can't blame them though.... if you had a second hand car and could sell it for $100 or a $1000, at which price would you sell it ;)

Well, people started not to buy GW minis (I stopped 3 years ago) and GW tries to remedy their losses by raising the prices. At least that's what I think they are doing.

Hollopoint
31-03-2007, 16:38
Wow, it's almost as if they are seeing what the market will bear. Who is the market again? Oh yeah, that's right, it's us.

Eniac
31-03-2007, 17:14
I would complain but nobody will listen.

Not surprised at the fact there is another price rise, seen many many over the last 13 odd years.

Good job I use eBay and online stores. If GW were cheaper I would buy direct.

god octo
31-03-2007, 17:18
Good job I use eBay and online stores. If GW were cheaper I would buy direct.

Same here- I rarely buy from GW as it gets so damn expensive, plus, as I play witch hunters, I can get only a small range of models in shop, and the P&P online is awful!

dodge33cymru
31-03-2007, 17:25
GW is very loathe to increase the £18 boxes again, admitting, in theory at least, that it is expensive. Hence the new £12 boxes with fewer men in them.
Truth there is that two of those boxes costs £24, so it was a stealth price hike and they thought customers wouldn't notice.

but in all honesty, we were always going to notice a price hike of 33%, however it came about. If that one had been less obvious, say £10 for 10, there wouldn't be half the fuss. As it is, I'd just feel insulted.
I'm another who only uses eBay too, but GW prices going up means eBay ones do too.

Eniac
31-03-2007, 17:27
I havent brought anything direct from GW or their stores for over a year now. Each increase just gives me more incentive to buy elsewhere.

Firestorm Falcon
31-03-2007, 22:54
I still buy my eldar from GW but only because I'm only buying new models at the moment. As for my Storm Trooper Marines i'ts ebay all the way. 11 marines for £5 anyone.

Some guy (UK)
31-03-2007, 23:04
Wow, it's almost as if they are seeing what the market will bear. Who is the market again? Oh yeah, that's right, it's us.

And the main market: 10-14 year olds.
At one end of the scale, little Jimmy gives up the hobby after a few months either because he is 'bored with it'-no long term investment-, or mummy and daddy give up on funding the 'hobby'.
At the other, John would rather spend his money on cheaper things, or clothes, cinema tickets, music etc; and not get the stick from friends for painting 'little toy soldiers' . Mum and dad don't support him so much as they want him to partly taste real life, and they too cant justify the prices.

Sterotypes, but stereotypes are that- a characteristic of most people in general (rather that is how I take it in this case).

Rabid Bunny 666
31-03-2007, 23:27
In fact, they only introduced the letters system of price coding to make regular price rises easier.

"Oh, sorry kid, that's £24 now"

"Are you sure?"

"Positive :) "

I thought it was to make it wife friendly :evilgrin:

"how much was that?"

"uh... £5?"

Archaon
01-04-2007, 00:28
uh, actually you do get 15 minis in that box, no?

If you mean my post with the Empire core boxes then no.. 10 miniatures which you can build as either Swordsmen/Halberdiers/Spearmen or Crossbows/Handguns.

Granted.. you get quite a few extras (amongst them the unused weapon options) but who needs that anyway?
I know that it is cheaper for GW to produce them since everything is on fewer sprues and it frees up shelf space because you only need two types of boxes but they still took advantage and introduced a stealth price hike.

Reflex
01-04-2007, 02:20
another price hike... saw that coming from the otherside of the universe....

i think that my space wolf army will be my last GW army.. from now on its DKoK... (i know they are more exspensive, but they are tons cooler... i am just boycotting mainstream GW (so not FW and specailist games... just 40k and Fantasy...) If you get what i mean... even though FW stuff is more exspensive.. it dosent make sense.. but either dose this price hike right!)

Osbad
02-04-2007, 10:30
Pirce hikes, schmice hikes...

GW priced themselves out of my particular market a long time ago...

When you look at the really nice, and often much cheaper offerings from other manufacturers it makes absolutely no sense to buy anything much from GW any more and hasn't for a number of years.

Unless of course you have a plastic fetish or need to play in GW "official" settings such as stores of GT's, in which case the premium charged is just a tax on taking part in official events.

GW's insane prices used to annoy me as I used to like their stuff, but felt I was being ripped off. Now though they are just amusing - the prices being asked are often double or treble what I think they are *really* worth (based on the level of quality and price offered by comparable models and kits from other manufacturers - such as Ground Zero Games, Iron Pig, Warzone, etc., etc., etc.) for many items and that level of self-delusion on GW's part, and the poor mugs who still pay that kind of money for plastic or white metal-related fun is actually quite silly! :D

The boyz
02-04-2007, 11:23
Crikey, £10 for five plastic SM's. These price rises are ridiculous.

Axel
02-04-2007, 11:37
On the other side of the price hike, some kits, like the Leman Russ, are (at least in Germany) still the same price then 10 years ago...

clovis
02-04-2007, 11:41
I feel bad as i still buy plasctic space marines!Even though i am a Fanatic( or addicte) of GW i still think that price are way too expensive!That's why i realised , only recently, that competition is good, because it could force GW pay more attention to this matter, specially if sales continue to drop!(well doesn't seems to be the case.
I have a question for those of you who don't buy anymore GW figurines( plastic or metal). Why is it that you still moan about GW even though you letf GW hobby for 1,2 or 3 years. In my part when i hate or dislike something i don't talk about it anymore! I move on. Just my opinion

Ravenous
02-04-2007, 12:22
Holy hell, again?

So Eldrad who was a $18 blister 4 years ago, went up to $20 2 years ago, went up to $25 a year ago is now going to be $30? its the same bloody sculpt since 2nd!

WTF GW!

Gouging doesn’t = profit. It equals pissed off people.

Deals, bargains and customer appreciation = Happy gamers.

EDIT:
Just checked out the price for Eldrad a second ago it turns out we are already paying $30 for him so he is going up to $35!

This is what doesnt make sense you pay 10pounds for both Eldrad and the weapon platform and 9 pounds for yriel.
Yreil $18 soon to be $20
Eldrad $30 soon to be $35
Platform $25 to $30

What the hell is that? 1 british pound does not equal $12 Canadian its $2.

Reflex
02-04-2007, 12:34
ok... so its 10 pound for a unit of 5 plastic space marines.. which is $24 AUD... but GW sells them for $30 AUD, which is 12.4 Pound.... so you complain that you have bad prices... we have them worse.. tehre excuse.. shipping... well i'm sorry but it dose not cost $6AUD to transport a small box weighing what, 500 grams max, half way across the globe.... no it dosent... how do i know this, it dosent take a retard to go and ask some questions at a transport and logistics company...

so you can complain... but we have it oh so worse...

GW is running itself into the ground... it can be seen... i am not 100% sure on this, but hasnt there profit been falling ever scince 2003??? which is when they had there last major price hike... correct me if i am wrong...

magemanda
02-04-2007, 12:39
I feel bad for the online stores actually. They generally offer at standard GW prices with 'x' amount discount. If GW increase the price by which they are selling to independent retailers, then it stands to reason the Internet stores will have to start raising prices as well - otherwise they wouldn't make a profit.

Eventually these price rises will cause all other methods of purchasing GW models to become obsolete as well.

Ravenous
02-04-2007, 12:47
It’s almost like they are expecting you to be a crackhead for this stuff. Instead of coming up with business strategy they say "hmm sales are low.... RAISE THE PRICES! That will work for sure!" In another thread I agreed the company wasn’t run by idiots, boy was I wrong.

I'm glad my painting business pays for my hobby expenses.

This is getting out of hand.

scarletsquig
02-04-2007, 13:55
I just gave up 40k/ warhammer... simple choice.

When you detach yourself a little and actually look at that £10 chunk of "special character" metal as if you'd never been into Warhammer at all, it starts to be a pretty easy descision to make.

And then you realise the complete freaking goldmine of models you're sitting on that can be eBayed to fund pretty much anything you want.

The price rises are good in the sense that your old figures are now worth more than you paid for them, even second-hand... and if they've got a decent paintjob.. $$$ :)

I've sold 2 armies and funded a week-long trip to NYC. The view from the top of the Empire State Building at night is beautiful.

Take a step back and consider what you *really* want to be doing at this point in your life.

Reflex
02-04-2007, 14:02
i am just not gonna buy anymore models... if i want to re paint them i can go down the street and buy some break fluid.. there $500 saved on buying new models...

so i am boycotting buying new models... unless they are a must have... which i doubt... the only new thing i am buying, are the new foundation paints... and that 6x4 puzzle board...
thats it...

I think GW rely on there new releases to much nowadays, instead of having a rhino for 10 pound... they have them at 20... which is stupid.. you can rant to me about quality, but quantity has a quility of its own when it comes to toy friggen soldiers!

Finnigan2004
02-04-2007, 14:39
I have to say that I still buy from games workshop from time to time when I play in store, but I too generallly buy off of ebay or other internet stores now. I like to support the company and won't officially boycott them because I really love their product. Some of their prices are becoming really silly though.

Ravenous
02-04-2007, 15:04
I look at buying stuff a little differently then most, I get paid for painting peoples models and I get 20% off at my comic store. So pretty much everything is paid for.

Now if Im getting tired of the prices I wonder how a kid can even get into this hobby without having his parents put him into slavery.

I cant see how GW can say their target market is kids. When they can't afford it nor can their parents what does that tell you?

IronSailor
02-04-2007, 15:09
I think Ravenous hit the nail on the head with his post.

Some of the miniatures that are increasing in price have been out around for 10 years or more. I think that some of the troll and dragon ogre models were released over 15 years ago and without being harsh, really show their age.

There is perhaps some justification in charging more for a new model because it has exquisite detail or is larger and more dynamic but ugly models like the minotaurs (not the lord) that are going to cost £12 are not worth half that.

There must be a graph for profit and turnover that shows units sold vs unit price – I really think that the decrease in units sold more than compensates for this price increase.

One more thing that annoyed me was seeing on the UK web page ‘Price Changes’ yet all of them are increasing, would have been so much easier to simply write price rises.

kuriad
02-04-2007, 15:12
This price hike is just wrong??

Do GW think money grows out of trees these days??

Well I guess this is the last time I even look at getting another army.

Osbad
02-04-2007, 15:30
My eldest son is just getting into wargaming and asks for stuff for Christmas and birthday etc. He gets stuff, but we have our financial limits - if that isn't enough for the army of his choice, then too bad, he goes without. If that means he can't get the force he wants then that's one of life's tough lessons. Hasn't been a problem though so far as I help him get stuff second hand and off ebay etc.

If the kids' parents don't understand the market and how to keep playing for small outlay though, then I guess the number of kids who start off and drift away shortly after because its too expensive will increase.

The "law of supply and demand" is really that, a physical law. GW can no more defy it than they could defy the law of gravity (which is the law their share price is currently following ;))

I guess for many of us, the price hikes don't stop us from completing an army, but they sure as heck kill off the desire to start a new one!

It really is ridiculous when you can buy 2 bottles of wine or 4 pints of beer for the equivalent price of a single Goblin!

redbaron998
02-04-2007, 15:36
You know eventually the incompetent staff of GW corporate is gonna destroy our hobby. Yes warhammer has the established backround, player base, and plastic moulds that other wargaming doesnt have. But eventually other people are gonna catch up and we are gonna find ourselves with lots of money invested in a hobby that doesnt exist anymore.

Anyways for me its sad cause I like to support my Hobbytown by buying from them. I dont think I can do that anymore and I am gonna have to buy from discounted online retailers.:(

scarletsquig
02-04-2007, 15:57
It really is ridiculous when you can buy 2 bottles of wine or 4 pints of beer for the equivalent price of a single Goblin!

And *that* is the single main reason why people quit Warhammer as soon as they start uni :D

Vic
02-04-2007, 16:02
Originally Posted by Osbad

And *that* is the single main reason why people quit Warhammer as soon as they start uni :D

Women, you forgot to add women to that reasoning :cool:

Either in the form of girlfriend or the upgrade model WIFE.....

Jedi152
02-04-2007, 16:40
I gave up Gw stuff at uni for one simple reason, it's not very socially acceptable.

No it doesn't mean the £18 boxes will rise to £20.
Not now. If they're not by this time next year i'll buy you a pint.

Oh, and my main comment, copied and pasted from the other thread:

The same comment i make every time: People will moan, but they'll still pay. People need their fix, y'see?

Apoth
02-04-2007, 16:43
Did the price hike already happen in the US without me noticing? Or did I just miss the last one?

I had a small DH army about 1.5 years ago and buying DH Termies cost me $10 a piece. Now they're $15 a piece? Yikes!

Bolter Bait
02-04-2007, 18:48
Hmm, I hope that this is just part of the whole "Raising the UK prices to finally match what the rest of us are paying" bit and that it doesn't trickle down. Zoanthropes and Tyrant Guard are already $20 U.S. for a blister that contains one model and they certainly don't need to go up.

Which reminds me; making the rules for the biovore worse, giving us an awful new figure and then doubling the price to $20 U.S. last year was sheer brilliance.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
02-04-2007, 18:50
actually, i would rather have the model (although not a goblin, i have no interest there) - you get something to show for your money the next day (rather than just a hangover), that you can keep for - well - forever (and unless you collect wine bottles...). you can use it over and over again without additional cost (i dont think the beer will taste the same the second time you drink it... although i guess that depends on the brand :p), you can pass time painting and even repainting it to your hearts content, and when you are done, you can sell it - you may even get more than you paid for it (thanks to the continued price rises). aside from recycling the bottles/cans, i cant see a market for 2nd hand alcohol. ;)

then again, i only spend about £3 a month on booze (2 bottles of Magners!). :p

~ Tim

chaos0xomega
02-04-2007, 21:37
Does anyone know if this will effect the overseas markets? I.e. the US.... you know, the colony that fought back...

If the prices keep going up here, Im just gonna stop buying. I'll buy what I need to round out my current armies and then never again. I'll buy forgeworld stuff, but Citadel wont get another penny out of me.

Besides, Im going to college at the end of this year, prolly wont have anywhere to play anyway, seeing as how Im gonna be stuck in the middle of nowhere of new york state(unless I go to Boston University...)

JT-Y
02-04-2007, 22:29
One thing I've thought for a long time is that GW employees, including the top brass who decide these things (most of whom are still gamers, after all), just don't realise how much money they are asking and how it could be concieved by consumers as being too much.

Thats because they, quite simply, pay next to nothing for models. They pay the cost of the plastic or metal and thats all, or 50% or retail price at most.

They have absolutely zero comprehension of what it means for a person to have to pay the sticker price in the real world. They are completely alienated from their customers in this respect.

To them, the asking price is simply a sticker, nothing more.
If we say its too much, they think 'Surely not'.

If they had to pay what we do, do you think they'd see the prices in the way we do? I think they would.

Anyone else think there may be some truth in this?

Reflex
02-04-2007, 22:36
i'm sorry but i am doing a space wolf army and a lizardman army... i cant afford to buy GW stuff anymore... the sad part if, alot of people love this hobby, yet it is not welcoming ack to us... i mean we buy there stuff, so they double prices over 10 years...

it really is just rediculus... and a kid wont understand that unil he/she has to pay for it thereself... which is not unil 16/17/18....

i can see GW running itself into the ground.. alot of western companies do that these days because a) they cant compete with china or b) there prices are to high period... i can see GW joining the bunch very soon...

Crazy Harborc
03-04-2007, 01:21
Suprise, suprise, suprise.......it's Spring/GW price hike time. Other companies go up a few cents here and there. GW the leader of the pack:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EarlGrey
03-04-2007, 01:57
So, hang on. People are being priced out by this price rise? From the looks of things it's special characters and the odd metal model that only appears a few times in an army (and a few common plastic sets, but they can be bought cheaper in bulk boxes). The main troop sets are the same price, the battalions are the same price, and a lot of other stuff that is probably the bulk of an army remains the same price. In fact, it's now even better to buy a full tactical squad over two combat squads (£2 less and you get a wargear sprue). So, how can you suddenly no longer afford to buy models? What on earth were you buying to build your army?

"My army of Abbadons will crush you!"
"You can only take one in an army, sir."

Oh, and can I get a show of hands of those who have run a business for a large number of years and know every last detail of Games Workshop's finances? Think about that for a moment before you go calling people idiots (or monkeys, or frogs... etc).

VetSgtNamaan
03-04-2007, 02:24
I have to admit I like it when GW raises thier prices since it means more people who had mini's kicking around in thier closet/storage will actually get off thier **** and find them if it means them getting some decent money for it. ANd thusly I end up with minis at 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

Crazy Harborc
03-04-2007, 02:28
I don't know ALL the details of GW's finances. Been a wargamer for over 40 years. have been one of the owners of a gaming shop way back before GW was a big deal.

Been part of several successful businesses. Learned a lot about being a happy customer and how to treat customers to keep them happy. Yearly price hikes WAY ahead of inflation isn't one of them.

Reflex
03-04-2007, 03:33
earl Grey... its not whats being increased, its the damn principal of the matter... i mean ffs they keep doing it every bloody week.. thats how often it feels.

and because they keep doing it, i am not going to buy anymore... i dont care if its stuff i wouldnt buy anyway, because if they keep getting away with it they are gonna keep doing it until it gets to the things i like and buy! so screw that!

Ravenous
03-04-2007, 05:33
I think its also the amount of price rises.

Most companies will do one every 4 to 5 years or if they do one every year it will be by 10 or 20 cents.

GW on the other hand cranks it by $5 on half of their products every ******* year! and sometimes we get nailed by both in the same year!

Dark Eldar raiders for example were $32 here in 2001 they now go for the hefty price of $55! with nothing new other then box art.

Ianos
03-04-2007, 09:44
What is even worse is the fact that there are no real adjustments by country and the median salaries that exist in each one. In Greece for example an average salary for a person in the age of 20-30 with a degree is 750 euros, almost $900 or 500 pounds. How is someone going to give up half his salary to start an army when a) He/she knows it's going to get even more expensive to finish b) He/she sees the attitude of neglect to anything non marine and the lack of support to even the cheapest thing to create i.e. rules?

Oh by the way, if you want to increase sales the way to do it is to give bonuses to customers for buying hit them in the ears with a stick or force them to buy models they don't want because they will "save money", i am sick and tired of seing unthemed unnecessary battleforces and packs while there is no bonus whatsoever if you buy above certain price levels or multiple orders. Now that is bad marketing...

Jesse Custer
03-04-2007, 16:48
GW are raising the prices of the models they didn't increase last year. They (usually) only raise the price of an item every two years. Therefore, the £18 boxes are not due to increase in price until next year.
I don't know for you guys, but here, a quarter of the range (price bands) is increased every year, not the full range. There is cycle of 4 years (not 2) where the whole range would have been increased in price. But I may be wrong.

Bunnahabhain
03-04-2007, 19:40
The pricing policy gets stranger and stranger. One Guard HW team, £10, 3 teams, £20.....

Looking at the price increases, it's virtually all metals, which is something, at least.

Lexmechanic
03-04-2007, 20:14
By the Maw,this is disturbing, I´ve already experienced 5 price increases.
Looks like those Maneaters are going to be airmailed soon..

Lexmechanic
03-04-2007, 20:17
I don't know for you guys, but here, a quarter of the range (price bands) is increased every year, not the full range. There is cycle of 4 years (not 2) where the whole range would have been increased in price. But I may be wrong.

Good point, maybe I could collect some data starting from this point onwards. We'll see in a couple of years.

Krootman
04-04-2007, 00:04
I just read my post and realized I have nothing to add to this thred that wount **** people off...all im going to say is get a friend to work at gw and you wount have this problem.

Reflex
04-04-2007, 00:14
if we worked at GW we would have this problem... because GW staff dont exactly get the highests to norm pay checks... so it all evens out... (correct me if i am wrong...)

Ravenous
04-04-2007, 01:44
if we worked at GW we would have this problem... because GW staff dont exactly get the highests to norm pay checks... so it all evens out... (correct me if i am wrong...)

They get minimum wage and get 60 - 75% off GW product. If you work at the head office or a stock holder you get 90% or 6 cents an ounce.

GW figures that working for them is payment enough.

I just read my post and realized I have nothing to add to this thred that wount **** people off...all im going to say is get a friend to work at gw and you wount have this problem.

Getting product for others while you work at GW gets you fired. Its pretty common.

I was thinking about working there so I could help my friends and my painting gig out but then I saw how much they got paid and the fact I have to say things like "foot sloggin orks is a viable army" with a straight face.

swordwind
04-04-2007, 01:47
"Great! I get 75% off my models!"
"But you get paid 80% less than you did before..."

Ravenous
04-04-2007, 01:54
Its great if make double of minimum wage and spend half your paycheck on warhammer a month but somehow I doubt that happens.

Wintermute
04-04-2007, 08:05
Can we now get back on-topic please and discuss the price rise which is due to be implemented at the end of April in the UK?

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

clovis
04-04-2007, 08:35
I think the price rise is not the main problem. Reason why so many people are complaining ( and i understand them to a certain point) is that some items have reached a "critical" point!Buying a box of 10 space marines for 30€ is quite expensive( but as a fanatic i still buy some from time to time, and in the store for high price).And from what i gather the increase is only for metal blister at the moment( i don't buy much of them). Other compitors of GW are not cheap either, but it seems as GW is on the top of the podium every is moaning at them. I hear all the time :

1/they're going down( i 've heard that for the last ten years!):o
2/i won't buy their product anymore:mad:
3/ PP and Rackham are way better( good so buy their product, i'm happy for you):angel:
4/ they are greedy( i agree, as most of the company!):confused:

Voila! this is my point of view.

IronSailor
04-04-2007, 09:45
I think it'll be quite an interesting year for GW financial wise. The LOTR hangover will be ending with the sales of Middle Earth products finally levelling off to a steady level. It should allow them to have a good hard look at their core ranges and assess the prices and who they are marketing to. If they feel they have to attract more gamers, then one of the options would be reducing prices. Some items to be released like the foundation paint set are a brilliant idea, the top selling item in GW every year is chaos black spray followed by some of the other hobby items – however, they didn’t produce enough of the new paints apparently which is pretty silly.

Hopefully game licences such as those from THQ will bring in additional revenues to take the strain off the miniature range. The other benefactor off this is that games like DOW may encourage additional people to get involved in the hobby. I think talking of doom & gloom with regards to the company going under is a little far fetched – they could close unprofitable stores and save a fortune but they refuse to do this on principle at the moment which I feel is a good thing.

The final point is that the company do have to make a profit, it’s the principle of capitalism with a successful company growing every year which GW did until 2005. The eps of GW last year had fallen to around a quarter of what it was in 2005 which doesn’t make corporate types very happy… Probably wiped a few million off the value of the company actually.

Loken1
04-04-2007, 13:29
Can anyone do anything on this site other than complain??

JT-Y
04-04-2007, 14:11
Yes Loken1, but not when we are hit in the pocket for above and beyond the rate of inflation.

Feed the family or buy GW models?
Not much choice is it?

'If only they were more affordable, I'd be able to do both!'

See where I'm coming from?

swordwind
04-04-2007, 14:23
Loken1, out of interest, how long have you been using Games Workshop products?

Bombot
04-04-2007, 14:39
Can anyone do anything on this site other than complain??

Some websites think this place is the natural home for anyone who kisses GW’s backside. And relatively speaking, they’re not wrong.

Really, it says a lot about a company when they have to shut their own forums owing to the barrage of criticism they got on them.

TheStrategist
04-04-2007, 15:25
See? This is the exact reason why GW has lost money from my purchases. Now, when I need something, what do I do? Go on Ebay. Honestly, if I could have 10 minutes with the president of GW, oh, how the curses would flow... *sigh* Why do they raise prices? Inflation only affects us by like, 4.5% annually? Then why raise them 30% every 4 years? If anyone up in the GW employment ladder is reading this: STOP HIKING PRICES, IT's COSTING YOU CUSTOMERS!!!

There, rant over.

Jedi152
04-04-2007, 15:26
I'm still not sure it is costing them customers. We all complain, but i bet we all still fork out.

Marines could be £30 a squad and people would pay it.

Archaon
04-04-2007, 15:34
I'm still not sure it is costing them customers. We all complain, but i bet we all still fork out.

Marines could be £30 a squad and people would pay it.

No.. i don't fork out.

I'm considering an Empire army and when i have money to spare i'll be looking at alternatives.. Ebay or board sales for cheap core troops, other miniature companies with suitable miniatures (looking at Gamezone Imperial Knights.. way better than current GW knights.. slightly more expensive but way better design which makes them worth it) and every deal i can get.

I won't buy full price for a new army anymore.. even when stores give a 10% discount for purchases of a certain amount or more it still is expensive.

Added benefit is that i don't attend official GW tournaments so i couldn't vare less about the "only GW miniatures" business.. if it looks good, has a reasonable price and is identifiable in the army i will consider buying it.

Bombot
04-04-2007, 15:53
I’m with Archaon. I fancied a WHFB army, but went for an alternative company so I would put my money where my mouth is. Getting an alternative is admittedly trickier for 40k, unless you go for Imperial Guard (and I note that £ per model wise, the IG are one of GW’s better buys). Well I suppose GW got some of the £20 I paid for the Fantasy rulebook and Dwarf armybook (via a third party over eBay).

I will continue to maintain that GW have overstepped the mark with their prices but it’s not like I can prove it for a while.

JT-Y
04-04-2007, 16:00
And I've pretty much ceased to purchase their products altogether, from GW retail, Direct or from independants (who still pay GW for the stock in the first place). So they now get no income from me, and apart from maintaining my army book collection, I'll not be buying from them either.
All my miniatures come from elsewhere.

And I am by no means the only one, how many people cease to buy from them and then go quietly away and make no mention of the fact? I know quite literally dozens. So they are losing sales.

These prices are having a huge and very marked effect on their portion of the market, and if anyone interested were to look around, on TMP or the FoW forums for eg, and many others, they'd see this to be true.

Its not just this increase either, its the other two in the past 12 months as well. Which means pretty much everything they sell has gone up in the past 12 months, or in the 12 months before that, and all above inflation.

And whilst regiment/squad sets haven't increased, the newer versions are packaged to include an increase in price and some older things are getting repackaged (Pegasus Knights, buy 3 for £20, or 1 for £8, which will probably go up to £10 soon too).

Jedi152
04-04-2007, 16:05
Then i guess i stand corrected.

clovis
04-04-2007, 16:07
And I've pretty much ceased to purchase their products altogether, from GW retail, Direct or from independants (who still pay GW for the stock in the first place). So they now get no income from me, and apart from maintaining my army book collection, I'll not be buying from them either.
All my miniatures come from elsewhere.

And I am by no means the only one, how many people cease to buy from them and then go quietly away and make no mention of the fact? I know quite literally dozens. So they are losing sales.

These prices are having a huge and very marked effect on their portion of the market, and if anyone interested were to look around, on TMP or the FoW forums for eg, and many others, they'd see this to be true.

Its not just this increase either, its the other two in the past 12 months as well. Which means pretty much everything they sell has gone up in the past 12 months, or in the 12 months before that, and all above inflation.

And whilst regiment/squad sets haven't increased, the newer versions are packaged to include an increase in price and some older things are getting repackaged (Pegasus Knights, buy 3 for £20, or 1 for £8, which will probably go up to £10 soon too).

Okay good for you!

So why do you keep complaining! :wtf: You were hunhappy and you found a way to get your figurines somewhere!

JT-Y
04-04-2007, 16:25
Because I give a damn Clovis, and would be happier if GW stuff were more affordable to me.

As much as I enjoy other systems and like other miniatures, I still like GW stuff, so I complain because they are, quite simply, pricing me out of my hobby by increasing prices at such a ludicrous rate.
The upshot of which is that I feel miserable about it and am forced to go away, so that I can feed my ******* family and still enjoy my wargaming hobby, but at the cost of the GW aspect of my hobby!

And I'm not some lazy benefits bludger, I work bleedin' hard for my money and earn well, but sadly, like most of the population, not enough to afford GW's incessant price hikes.

Can you understand that?

Tyron
04-04-2007, 16:46
JT-Y, buy them from ebay and other internet sites.

grg3d
04-04-2007, 16:53
Disclaimer this statement is not aimed at anyone!

(Gets up on soapbox)You must take action
To be blunt…if you don’t like the price increase, don’t buy their product.
Stating the fact or complaining about it verbally on the net will do nothing about a price increase. (Amen)

Talk with your wallet instead and stop buying their products.
I did, it started with the white dwarf (20 years + I no longer buy them) halleluiah

Next I looked at all the armies for 40K (2) and WFB (1) and made up my mine (so can you) on which army(s) for each game system I would play, bought all the units I would ever need for each army (in one go as to maximize my discount) and stopped buying stuff that did not fit into my army(s) Amen, halleluiah

Unfortunately (into the valley of temptation) they are releasing the Devastator all plastic squad box soon (you know the metal weapons nightmare) in the USA.
I want it, “Good Lord” the crowd proclaims “resist the temptation”

I believe GW will keep increasing the cost of our little army men until they have a big sales slump and find out just how much we as a consumer are willing to pay/not pay for the figures until then the price will increase ever higher.

Chant “We must crush the Evil Empire”

So if everyone stops buying now, we as a consumer could set the price or stop any more increases in the price if GW is not selling any of their products.

However I think I’d have a better chance at winning the lottery before this would happen :p

TheWarSmith
04-04-2007, 17:42
What I fail to understand is why outdated models keep getting more expensive.

Minotaurs and things of that nature used to be $15(maybe less?), now they're $20, and soon they'll probably be $22(right?)

I can understand higher costs for new figs, but this does seem a bit over the top. Perhaps this is just a way for them really to push into their plastics.

Hollopoint
04-04-2007, 18:53
I don’t know, to tell the absolute truth I’m not all that bothered about the price increase. Of course nobody wants to pay more for something but at the end of the day I still see GW as an affordable hobby. In fact, I would go as far as saying it is a comparatively cheap hobby. I’ve been playing the games for more than 10 years now and there has always been moaning about the prices. There’s always was and there always is going to be people complaining that they are being priced out of the games and their poor family can’t eat because they want to buy toy soldiers, talk about melodramatic.

I’m waiting to buy a Playstation 3 because I want to see if the price drops a bit because even at £425 pounds (Which would keep you in GW stuff for ages!) it is just the start. I’ll need to get a good few games and a decent Hi Def TV for the full experience. I’ll be at about 1500 quid before I get gaming to the standard I want, but I’ll still spend just as much, if not more of my free time on the GW hobby. I also like to paint and I would class myself as semi-serious about it, you think GW is expensive! Ha! I just bought a good drawing board and it cost me £200 pounds. These are just a couple of examples but here are a few other hobbies I know people do.

Equestrian related activities (My sister spends over £500 quid a month on this ****!)
Snowboarding and Skiing
Diving and snorkelling
Driving
Go-carting (went to this the other weekend and spent over £100 in one bloody day!)
Doll House making (you think our models are expensive? Go buy a little dinning set!)
DIY (Power tools and wood)

The list goes on and on. OF course you have cheaper hobbies like martial arts or you can go outside and kick a ball around for free.

I can get a box of 5 lovely Pistoliers that will last me a lifetime for a couple of packs of fags and a coke, Or a trip to the cinema if I don’t get any food and take the bus.

Games Workshop raise there prices going on sales figures and what they think they can get away with, that doesn’t make them evil or bad, it makes them like every single company on the planet. It’s a niche product with a small customer base, it provides gaming space and some of the best customer service out of any company I’ve ever dealt with.

People will then shout out “But the sales figures dropped and they are just putting up the prices to try and gouge their existing customers!” The answer to that is not to buy it, this is not milk and bread we are talking about. Besides, with the huge growth the company experienced a few years ago a drop-off was expected, and with the Intellectual Property being handed out to well respected companies, Two MMORPG in the works, numerous other games and any Aces up their sleeves I would say the future looks bright for GW. Besides, Kirby just bought half a million pounds in shares, now why would he go and do that?

EvC
04-04-2007, 20:08
JT-Y, buy them from ebay and other internet sites.

Forgive me for pointing out the bleeding obvious to you, but when GW raise their prices, eBay and internet sites generally raise their prices by the exact same proportion. Thus, a price rise by GW is a price rise for all GW products!

This isn't the first time this has had to be pointed out even in this thread, but it's such a simple and blatantly obvious concept that it should not need saying repeatedly!!!

JT-Y
04-04-2007, 20:17
Hmmm...

Probably one of the reasons that I'm skint and don't have huge amounts of expendable income, like oh-so many others, is that I myself spend huge amounts on equestrian related ****!

Oh no, hang on, thats what I do for a living!

The price and affordability is relative to the funds people have avaliable to them.
Not everyone has expendable income avaliable to them unfortunately.
But why price them out of the market and so limit the market itself?
Makes no sense...

Hollopoint
04-04-2007, 20:43
Hmmm...

Probably one of the reasons that I'm skint and don't have huge amounts of expendable income, like oh-so many others, is that I myself spend huge amounts on equestrian related ****!

Oh no, hang on, thats what I do for a living!

The price and affordability is relative to the funds people have avaliable to them.
Not everyone has expendable income avaliable to them unfortunately.
But why price them out of the market and so limit the market itself?
Makes no sense...

Why pander to those with no expendable income and keep prices low, when the market is able to bare a price a higher than what you are currently charging?

I understand that it must be frustrating not to be able to buy all the models that you want but I suppose it comes down to what you think is worth it. I get a huge amount of enjoyment out of the hobby and I would say that the fun per pound spent is easily the highest ratio out of all the other activities I engage in.

Games Workshop takes 70 percent of the RRP as profit. For a large scale company with all its manufacturing based in the UK and USA that is not a very big margin. At the end of the day, the only way we will se a price drop is if manufacturing is moved to China or somewhere similar. Is that what people want?

DonkeyMan
04-04-2007, 20:50
All I can say is:

Do complain, but do also write a letter to GW (a real one) and stay friendly in the letter and say them that you are going to stop buying their products. And then even though its hard, don't buy their products anymore.

Only complaining, but still buying the products won't help. I'm not saying people are doing it here (some probably do ;)), but many friends of mine do exactly this. One day they don't stop complaining, the other they spend loads of money in a GW store.

I did stop buying GW products (okay I still buy WFRP and will buy 40K RP, but this is not really GW) and wrote them a letter (without an answer of course).

On bad mood days I bitch around about GW pricing, but I feel much better now not giving them any money any more.

From a GW Fanboy, I became a more critical customer for the most part of my GW era, then a GW hater for a short while to become someone now who simply doesn't care about GW at all anymore.
And when I talk about GW here, I mean the company. I still do like the Fantasy and 40K Worlds.

Asmith
04-04-2007, 21:00
70% is not a big margin? I can't think of many companies that run much higher, manufacturing in china or no. In fact that's pretty gigantic.

IronSailor
04-04-2007, 21:18
Asmith is right - 70% is a pretty impressive margin.

Are you sure this figure is correct?

The game is afoot
04-04-2007, 21:26
The mark up is affected by the volume produced, the more they make the greater the margin, and vice versa.

Hollopoint
04-04-2007, 21:27
Maybe I didn’t phrase that right. :confused: It costs GW around 6 quid to manufacture one of its 18 pound box-sets. So it takes around 12 quid when it sells it, but all its other overheads besides manufacturing are taken out of this. So its retail space, staff, etc… is taken from that 12 quid. So the actual profit is a lot smaller.

Take a Nike trainer on the other hand – It only cost them a few quid to make something that they sell for £40 or more in the shops. So GW sell there product at around two times what it cost them to manufacture where-as other companies may sell their product for 10 or 20 times what it costs them to make.

So GW could only lower there prices if they dramatically reduced the manufacturing costs and they could do this by making them abroad.

I think that’s right. :eyebrows:

Warboss Snazgrod
04-04-2007, 21:35
This is one price rise too many for me, no more purchases at GW for me which is sad as i have been buying from them for the last sixteen years. They are gonna get a polite letter explaining why i won't be purchasing their product any more and why i won't be buying White Dwarf either. Ebay here i come...

Asmith
04-04-2007, 22:14
No I understood you right, you are talking about gross margins. Nike's is around 40% according to google. So approaching half of what GW takes.

The situation is actually worse than you make out because GW makes a large amount of their sales (42%) through independant retailers from which they recieve only half of the MSRP. If you work through the math it costs GW 24% of the MSRP to make their product (including packaging) so about $6 on a $25 box. This is a lot bigger margin than most companies make.

The numbers are on average of course so it's more on some sets (terminators anyone) and less on others. Also as they move more and more to plastic sets I'm sure this margin will continue to go up.

Hollopoint
05-04-2007, 01:17
So if on 42% of their sales they are only making around 30% profit then surely what they are trying to do is balance the books by charging slightly over the odds in their own stores. Working through all the maths and taking into consideration that a large percentage of their sales is at a smaller profit margin then they are only looking at around 45% overall on all their products.

Tyron
05-04-2007, 01:34
Forgive me for pointing out the bleeding obvious to you, but when GW raise their prices, eBay and internet sites generally raise their prices by the exact same proportion. Thus, a price rise by GW is a price rise for all GW products!

This isn't the first time this has had to be pointed out even in this thread, but it's such a simple and blatantly obvious concept that it should not need saying repeatedly!!!

And yet you still save 25% or more of that current price....seems worth it to me.

EvC
05-04-2007, 02:08
Any sensible gamer worried about his wallet will have been doing that in the first place. If an internet shop raises its price at the same rate GW does, then that's not exactly going to be encouraging is it?

Crazy Harborc
05-04-2007, 02:10
Yes I know......don't like the prices, just stop buying GW minies. It's a luxury hobby, a niche market, we should be happy to pay more each year for our GW fixes.

As long as I am still buying even the reduced amounts I buy now (price hikes caused it).....I'll complain about the latest price increases. This month it's the UK. No doubt it will happen here soon, very soon.

clovis
05-04-2007, 08:17
Because I give a damn Clovis, and would be happier if GW stuff were more affordable to me.

As much as I enjoy other systems and like other miniatures, I still like GW stuff, so I complain because they are, quite simply, pricing me out of my hobby by increasing prices at such a ludicrous rate.
The upshot of which is that I feel miserable about it and am forced to go away, so that I can feed my ******* family and still enjoy my wargaming hobby, but at the cost of the GW aspect of my hobby!

And I'm not some lazy benefits bludger, I work bleedin' hard for my money and earn well, but sadly, like most of the population, not enough to afford GW's incessant price hikes.

Can you understand that?

I do understand that pefectly:o and see where your frustration come from.

JT-Y
05-04-2007, 11:45
Thanks Clovis, I wasn't meaning to sound snappy BTW.

As for GW's costs, I'll not embarrass them by telling you what it costs in reality to get a box on the shelves.
Most of the %ages stated above are accounting for the extra costs incured via its retail arm. Fair enough, but the real costs are lower, and with more units sold they become lower still.
What price hikes do, and I'll say this forever, is decrease the amount of unit sales. GW don't see that though, as they seem to only see profitability hovering at the same level.

Nevermind though, I'm sounding repetative:rolleyes:

Donkeyman is right in what he says.
Write to them. A real and proper letter.
They don't recieve complaints and don't know how to deal with them when they do as a result. Most gamers are willing to just bite their lip and won't complain to GW because they love the buggers.
But do it. Write a sensible and polite letter. If they get enough they may see a real issue (and I've just been hit in the head by a low flying pig, but still).

I have done, and may even get a response one day (so don't expect a response, that they can't do, like I say, complaints scare them so they hide).

Tyron
05-04-2007, 11:51
"They don't recieve complaints and don't know how to deal with them when they do as a result. "

They throw them in the bin next to them.

JT-Y
05-04-2007, 12:12
Don't say it out loud Tyron.

Its not true if you don't say it out loud...

Osbad
05-04-2007, 12:31
I can understand the rationale for GW hiking metal model prices - after all these things are relatively expensive to manufacture, ship and store as they are heavy, fragile and hard to package. This means that their margin is always going to be under pressure. In particular the lifetime of the original mould isn't that huge really, and they wear out rapidly and need replacing a lot.

I still think GW over-value their IP when they choose the price point for their models relative to other manufacturers, but on the whole I can understand the relative expense of metal models.

However, what I can't understand is why they charge so bloomin' much for their plastic models. Surely if there was a product that was suited to a "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" marketing ethos it would be plastic toy soldier kits! They are light (so cheap to ship and pack), have minimal variable costs to manufacture and have an infinite shelf life.

So why do GW treat their plastic models as some sort of "premium product". They got lots of feedback about how good value everyone thought BfSP was because you got 100 minis + a rulebook for £40. Why not make everything that good a deal? Seriously, it costs them pennies to manufacture plastic sprues, and once the die is cut (from stainless steel) it will last forever. So why not give you oodles of models for your money?

To an extent GW are doing it with their "Army Deals" and the like. But it is too little and too prescriptive.

Obviously they must want to price themselves as a "premium product" or some such tosh. But the problem with that is that no-one considers plastic miniatures to be a premimum product. Plastic is a cheap, inferior, (albeit easier to convert) material to make toy soldiers from in comparison to tin alloy. Everyone knows that. It's one of the reasons (apart from the "d'oh!" ruleset) that grognards refer to it as "kiddie kay" in disparaging tones. Plastic=toys in the "normal" gamers' minds. No way is it justifiable to charge as much for a plastic model of something as for a metal version. Yet GW do it. (Case in point: Balrog kit = £35 for plastic or a metal one).

If GW worked their plastics manufacturing capability more and packed double to volume of models into any given box, then gamers would feel they had got much more value for money and would be happy with that. GW would be doing something no other manufacturer does - so could maintaint their "hobby leader" status, so they would be happy too. The extra cost of moulding an extra sprue and sticking it in a box would be minimal, yet the benefits to the consumer and therefore in restoring a shred of GW's tattered reputation are immense.

It truly beats me how GW can't see that. GW seem locked in this mindset that people will pay loads for their product whatever they charge for it. When all the evidence seems to be pointing towards their customers increasingly moving away from them.

GW have the capacity and capability to blow other companies away by offering cheap and (realtively) nicely molded plastic models to play games with, but instead choose to treat their plastic models as some sort of Rolls Royce product. It makes no kind of sense to me...

But then I've only been a Chartered Accountant for 17 years, so what the heck would I know about profitability... ;)

Tyron
05-04-2007, 12:43
Don't say it out loud Tyron.

Its not true if you don't say it out loud...

Ofcourse it's true, they have better things to do then read little letters. They know you will still buy them so they dont care.

Asmith
05-04-2007, 15:36
@ hollopoint: your math is wrong again... you already know what their overall profit is. It's the 70% figure you gave earlier that already includes the lower profit margin on 42% of the sales.

@ osbad: "Seriously, it costs them pennies to manufacture plastic sprues, and once the die is cut (from stainless steel) it will last forever. So why not give you oodles of models for your money?
"
to be fair the dies don't last forever. In normal molding operations after about 100,000 cycles you usually need to repair or replace the dies to prevent things like flash and loss of dimensional tolerancing. GW doesn't really care about these things however so they can probably get 500,000 - 1,000,000 cycles before they need to work on the dies. I agree with everything else you said though.

Tyron
05-04-2007, 15:39
Well I just reveived my mail order and they charegd me a £1 less for each blister/character :p

MrLiy
05-04-2007, 20:02
Well I havent paid full price in about a year and a half....only buy models from stores going out of sale...or at least 20% off....

I actually took all the money I saved over this time and bought a super expensive triathlon bike.

If GW's profit margin is 20% they definetely are not getting anything from me

Parka boy
05-04-2007, 21:18
I do hope that people will stop buying models from them at some point so they get the message enough is enough.

Crazy Harborc
06-04-2007, 01:11
Gotta say it. Well, so much for intelligent, adult level posts.

Captain Brown
06-04-2007, 02:12
There is a reason we discourage price threads, this one earned several members a suspension.

Thread Closed.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition