PDA

View Full Version : Tired of humans so need some advice

Red_Lep
30-03-2007, 21:18
I posted a thread earlier asking for help deciding between IG and SW(thanks to those who responded to it) but I just realised that after two human armies I needed a break. I looked around and decided that since I didn't want small numbers, humans, or a shooty army Orks where the way to go. I like the look of the Stikk Bommas and Stormboys but needed some advice on what else is useful.

Exterminatus
30-03-2007, 21:22
Although I dont play orks, think along the lines of grots, nobz and a lot of boyz

Lancaster
30-03-2007, 21:23
Necrons

Just do it, when in a large enough force, they are very powerful, and they are always a very characterful force to play

lanrak
30-03-2007, 21:24
Hi Red Lep.
Have you looked over the feral orks list?
Quite a few 'characterful choices' in this alternative list.(May not be allowed in some tournaments though.)

TTFN Lanrak.

Onisuzume
30-03-2007, 21:49
Orks, definitly orks.

Red_Lep
30-03-2007, 22:06
Well, since I just noticed that Stikk Bommas only have a CC weapon and not a choppa I guess I'll go with some Slugga Boys with three Rokkit Launchas. What are some good numbers to keep in mind?(please, something besides big numbers or lots) Also, I know there are rules for 500 point matches but I forget what they're called so I can't look them up, anybody know?

bratbag
30-03-2007, 23:24
A 20 ork slugga boy unit with 3 rokkits and a nob with power klaw and choppa is a good solid unit. Give the nob 3 ammo grotz (as the rokkit boyz can use them for to-hit re-rolls) and you can lay down some suprisingly effective anti-tank fire as you advance (got to love ork 'assault' heavy weapons)

Slugga mobs can best be described as 'nob delivery systems' under the current codex. Your 19 other orks will net you around 70 attacks on the charge but you will notice that it is the Nobs power klaw that gives you the consistent kills.

A pair of such mobs will give you a good core.

Grotz should be next on your list. They give you better difficult terrain navigation, a cover save in the open and better yet they are a totally disposable unit. Use grotz to absorb charges then counter-charge with the boyz.

A standard grot mob consists of a slaver with rokkit, tankbuster bombs and squiq hound then between 19 and 29 grotz.

Skorcher buggies are another of the orks little gems. VERY cheep fast vehicles with a heavy flamer. Ram them down your opponents throat turn 1 and dare him to shoot them (leaving nice LOS blocking wrecks). If any survive (take numbers) then burn away while cackling gleefully.

These are just three examples. There is plenty of advice to be had at The-WAAAGH (http://the-waaagh.com) that goes in-depth into orkoids as a whole.

Red_Lep
30-03-2007, 23:39
A 20 ork slugga boy unit with 3 rokkits and a nob with power klaw and choppa is a good solid unit. Give the nob 3 ammo grotz (as the rokkit boyz can use them for to-hit re-rolls) and you can lay down some suprisingly effective anti-tank fire as you advance (got to love ork 'assault' heavy weapons)

Slugga mobs can best be described as 'nob delivery systems' under the current codex. Your 19 other orks will net you around 70 attacks on the charge but you will notice that it is the Nobs power klaw that gives you the consistent kills.

A pair of such mobs will give you a good core.

Grotz should be next on your list. They give you better difficult terrain navigation, a cover save in the open and better yet they are a totally disposable unit. Use grotz to absorb charges then counter-charge with the boyz.

A standard grot mob consists of a slaver with rokkit, tankbuster bombs and squiq hound then between 19 and 29 grotz.

Skorcher buggies are another of the orks little gems. VERY cheep fast vehicles with a heavy flamer. Ram them down your opponents throat turn 1 and dare him to shoot them (leaving nice LOS blocking wrecks). If any survive (take numbers) then burn away while cackling gleefully.

These are just three examples. There is plenty of advice to be had at The-WAAAGH (http://the-waaagh.com) that goes in-depth into orkoids as a whole.

Thanks, my local store uses a 500 point varient of the combat patrol rules to start the tourneys so I'm wondering how that works if Orks have to have a Warboss? Any body know?

Bregalad
30-03-2007, 23:47
Be aware that a new Ork Codex is rumoured to be released 1Q 2008, so everything said here may change soon. And why not start with the "we love Orks" thread or the Ork tactica for getting a feeling for the Boyz?

Irondog
31-03-2007, 00:05
If 500 points is your starting point, a 20 strong mob might be a bit pricey. The mob bratbag described will run you about 250 points. Maybe try going with 16 or so, that'll save you some points for use elsewhere. The trick to small games is to be effective without going overboard.

Having said that, if an HQ is mandatory in your combat patrol variant, you'll want to go cheap on your warboss too. As IC's go, the Warboss doesn't stand up to the characters fielded by other armies out there. You can get one with a choppa, slugga, and 3+/5+ save, for under a hundred points.

As Bregalad said, check out the Who loves Orks (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33080) thread, for over 5700 posts of orky goodness.

Red_Lep
31-03-2007, 00:18
Its not the Warbosses points I'm worried about its that it says its required but CP rules say no more than two wounds, thats what I'm confused about.

starlight
31-03-2007, 00:37
In CP HQs are optional.:D Necrons have the same issue.

You can use the Shootas from your first Boyz box to convert Big Shootas or (with a bit of work) Rokkits. For CP, consider a unit of Tankbustas as your second unit.

Red_Lep
31-03-2007, 00:41
In CP HQs are optional.:D Necrons have the same issue.

You can use the Shootas from your first Boyz box to convert Big Shootas or (with a bit of work) Rokkits. For CP, consider a unit of Tankbustas as your second unit.

Oh, guess I must have overlooked that. Thanks. If no HQ I'm guessing you make a Nob or something like in Fantasy?

Dragonreaver
31-03-2007, 00:55
Combat Patrol doesn't use a general/HQ/leader (unless. of course, you take one anyway). No "you must take this" type rules apply at all in Combat Patrol.

It's the same for IG (who are compelled to take a Command Platoon, and must have one regular platoon per Armoured Fist Squad under normal rules. Under CP rules, you can take a patrol full of AF squads if you want to).

Red_Lep
31-03-2007, 00:58
Combat Patrol doesn't use a general/HQ/leader (unless. of course, you take one anyway). No "you must take this" type rules apply at all in Combat Patrol.

It's the same for IG (who are compelled to take a Command Platoon, and must have one regular platoon per Armoured Fist Squad under normal rules. Under CP rules, you can take a patrol full of AF squads if you want to).

Score, thanks:D