PDA

View Full Version : what army do you use and why?

lust_
31-03-2007, 18:55
I just wanted to find out the most popular armys i expect the empire or hordes of chaos i use lizardmen I like the models

caliburn
31-03-2007, 19:06
Mortal Chaos Undivided with a sprinkling of Beastmen :p

I like their brute cc style, as it contrasts with the shoot-y styles of 40k armies I play. Plus, their minis are awesome! The Beastmen are there to add a little speed and tactical flexibility to the army.

caliburn

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
31-03-2007, 19:07
Dark elves
They're elite, organised, look cool, and are perposely(sp?) evil.
You don't have to worry about morals, it's more realaxing to be evil.
I like all elves, but these guys are the best because they a good variety of troop choice and for the reasons above. You only have to look at some of their artwork to fall in love with them.
You dont need to paint as many guys to get a big army, I dont mind painting, I just dont like too much of it.
sorry I can't elaborate, gota watch Doctor Who.:D

boerk
31-03-2007, 19:22
I play Blood Dragon Vampire Counts as the lords and heroes are good fighters, and I don't have to worry about leadership/morale tests or my units running away. My magic phase is also pretty simple in my opinion.

I started out playing 40k, first with Dark Angels and then switched to Death Guard. I guess you could say not having to take leadership tests (except for the manreaper) really stuck in my mind.

However, I've been thinking about starting a second fantasy army where the whole army (not just characters) can actually kill stuff.

lust_
31-03-2007, 19:44
I play Blood Dragon Vampire Counts as the lords and heroes are good fighters, and I don't have to worry about leadership/morale tests or my units running away. My magic phase is also pretty simple in my opinion.

I started out playing 40k, first with Dark Angels and then switched to Death Guard. I guess you could say not having to take leadership tests (except for the manreaper) really stuck in my mind.

However, I've been thinking about starting a second fantasy army where the whole army (not just characters) can actually kill stuff.

i love the look of the vampire counts minis ther cool

Weapon
31-03-2007, 19:52
Right now its just Skaven, thinking of a change though.

lust_
31-03-2007, 19:53
I was going to do skaven but im determand to finish my lizards

starlight
31-03-2007, 19:55
Greenskins:D 'Cause dey is da Best!:D

I have 3K of Snotlings and about the same in Orcs *and* Goblins. If I could get them all table ready, I could likely field over 10K.:eek: One day that will be a reality....but not to-day.:(

gorenut
31-03-2007, 19:57
I play Empire because I like the concept of desperate "mere" humans rallied together with ingenuity and tactics to overcome the physical advantages of other races that they themselves are not blessed with.

Also pistoliers are my single favorite units and possibly models in the game. The concept of guys prancing around on horses with pistols in a fantasy setting is so ridiculous that I was sold and took it even further by converting a captain on pegasus with a pistol.

The versatility is also another thing that draws me in. I can make a mage councel army, a religious nut army, chivalrous knight army, or an army based on a count and his royal guards.

With all that said, admittedly I've kind of ventured too far from the fantasy setting with the Empire. So hopefully when HE get redone, I'll be able to have an army with an archtypical fantasy setting. If that doesn't pan through, I'll restart Vampire Counts when they get redone.

Hahha, sorry for being so long-winded.

zoglug
31-03-2007, 21:29
I personally use a mixed greenskin horde! Im having a little sucess playing them, but am currently struggling to get them all painted. But i do want them done for the Nemesis Crown campaign.

My reasons behind turning green. Firstly, i got a load of models in the skull pass set, cant argue at that. Also, they provide a real challenge as you never know when your going to squable and really mess up your entire battle plan. Plus they are so much fun to play, and i absolutely love the model range.

Cheers

Zog

Weapon
31-03-2007, 21:53
I was going to do skaven but im determand to finish my lizards

Well, I KINDA count them as my first army, I jumped in with 6th Edition, right when it was brand new, and I did skaven. I dont like painting them anymore though, and they never really fit my playstyle, so I am thinking of going into Beasts or Ogres right now.

Corai
31-03-2007, 22:10
I considre myself a chaos player and devotee of Tzeentch, but I currently have no active Chaos army (working on that though!). Instead I tend to transplant the chaos fluff into tother armies. At the moment I play Ogre kingdoms (chaos ogres natch). The models are amazing, You can spend so much time on each one, the army is comparabley, very cheap, and the tactics and strategies needed to make an MSU army work increase my enjoyment of the game so much!

Thanks
Corai

Vattendroppe
31-03-2007, 22:22
Empire, they're the best of doing alternative human armies, such as ind, cathay or araby. You said not empire, but hey, I do not mean the empire either, just use the lists ;)

Or did you? I'm most uncertain of that first post! Empire lists it is anyway, due to the reason above.

Onisuzume
31-03-2007, 22:30
Lizardmen ofcourse; they're lizards. (I like lizards, snakes, etc.)
Their standard rank&file troops are rock hard. (sauri)
Their magic is simply amazing. (2nd gen slann)
Aztec feel is simply nice. (kinda was a fan of that, and my e-mail included an aztec word)
They have a superb mix of civilized and savageness.(resp. skinks and sauri)
Gotta love big strong units. (krox)
Big lizards just rule. (sallies)
And I like dinosaurs, and this allows me to play with them without feeling childish. :p

bert n ernie
31-03-2007, 22:35
Yeah, Skaven are hellish to paint.
I am pretty certain there are more people who have climbed Mt. Everest in the world, than people who have finished Skaven armies.

I think I'm a third of the way through mine. Maybe.
I love hordes though, and you get so so many models!
Just take lots of units and you'll almost always be able to outmanouver your opponent.

Weapon
31-03-2007, 22:48
Empire, they're the best of doing alternative human armies, such as ind, cathay or araby. You said not empire, but hey, I do not mean the empire either, just use the lists ;)

Or did you? I'm most uncertain of that first post! Empire lists it is anyway, due to the reason above.

He didnt say NOT empire, he said he EXPECTS empire and chaos to be the main ones.

Highborn
31-03-2007, 23:06
(prepares for the inevitable lynching)

My main army is Wood Elves, because I love the feel of how the army should play with maneuvrable elements striking fast & hard, dictating the flow of the battle and moving the fight faster than an opponent can react with MSU fast cavalry, skirmishers and some solid missile support.

SlaaneshSlave
31-03-2007, 23:19
I have a mortal Chaos army that is cool, just due to Slaanesh.

I have a Slaanesh Demon Legion because naked demon chicks are WAY cool. It is hella fun to play, but VERY 1 dimensional.

I have 5k of painted Skaven. These guys are great fun to play with. Many different playing styles available. Can make a strong balanced, well rounded army that is good against all comers. Can make a crazy broken army tooled for a specific opponent. Can make a cool army that has almost no change beat anyone. Just way to fun.

hivetyrant333
31-03-2007, 23:22
Tomb Kings - I just love the models.

I'm also looking to start Orcs and Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms and Hordes of Chaos (with a slight emphasis on Nurgle) for the same reason.

==Me==
01-04-2007, 00:01
Win-win for Skavendom!!

We are the master race and as the Great Ascendancy draws nigh you inferior races will see the extend of your futility in opposing the will of the Horned Rat!

Skaven are an awesome army: horde-horde, cunning-sneaky, capable of decimating whole regiments (theirs and their enemy's) in one good magic/shooting phase, awesome background-wise, and a treat to play (as long as you have the right attitude)

Lord_Magellan
01-04-2007, 00:17
I'm a Tomb King and proud.

Makaber
01-04-2007, 00:23
My first army was Beastmen, because I like to play the unglamorous underdogs, and I typically favour a fast, agressive playstyle. Plus, I love the imagery. Sadly the concept art is still a bit better than the models, but that doesn't prevent the models from being very nice indeed.

My second army (and the one I currently use the most) is Dark Elves. I wanted something with rock-hard moral, being fed up with Beastmen unreliability. I also wanted large orderly blocks for a change, and some shooting. However, the army started taking a life on its own, and after winning an eBay auction on a ton of Witch Elves, it ended up as another fast agressive army much like the Beastmen. It's a blast to play though, with viritually no ranks whatsoever in the army as a whole, having to rely on kills alone to generate CR.

Felworth
01-04-2007, 00:25
Greenskins:D 'Cause dey is da Best!:D

Elves are too girly, Humans are too squishy, Chaos is too pointy, Dwarves are too hairy... Orcs are juuust right. Mean and green is the only way to go!

The fact that OnG utilize technology that revolves around throwing Goblins at the enemy is just a bonus really.

Capitán Sánchez
01-04-2007, 00:43
Dogs of War, over 8000 points.

1.- I love the models.
2.- You can use many other miniatures (i.e.: Mordheim ones)
3.- THEY'RE METAL, and I absolutely hate plastic miniatures.
4.- I like to play armies that seldom people use, maybe that's the reason why I also have a Halflings Army:D )

Thank you

P.S.: Bert n Ernie, nice to meet you again. Skaven hellish to paint? Still painting at night? ;)

skavenguy13
01-04-2007, 01:01
Skaven:

-I love the army
-I think they're fun to play (at least when using a balanced army)
-I'm getting pretty good with them
-A couple of those models are MY work and I like showing my work when it's good :p

Why I don't use the others?
-about 1% painted
-some are too fragile right now
-skaven do the job very well right now anyway, I'm not in a hurry :)

Voltaire
01-04-2007, 01:40
I have always played Chaos. Simply put, I love them to bits. Currrently I own close to 5k of them. Heres why I love Chaos;

1) They're villainous
2) They're spiky
3) The Chaos Warriors are my favourite models done by GW
4) They were my first army.
5) Chaos is inevitable

They fit into my idea of what an army of villainous goons should be doing - smashing apart the hordes of normal people only to be stepped on by some great hero. All these coupled with the fact I believe villains have more fun mean that Chaos is ideal.

Nekki
01-04-2007, 02:53
First army ever was Chaos back in the old days. Than came 6th edition and the list didn't realy apeal to me anymore. Deamons werent as fun to use anymore.
SoC made me happy that i could use a pretty well deamon army again.
So now im here hoping that when the new chaos book would come.
That it will allow me to play a descent deamon force again.

What i play right now.
Orcs and gobbos. Why. They have the best playstyle to go with. And some fun units =)
Also working on a lizardman army nowadays. Just like the way these guys look. And i always hated playing them :p

Freenut
01-04-2007, 03:06
Depends on what day you ask as I have, wood elves, dark elves, high elves, vampires, tomb kings, orcs, goblins (I run them as two diffrent armies), ogres, and mortal chaos (khorne). Right now I am big into orc. There is just so much you can do. In my opinion savage orc boar boy big 'un are better than than khoren chosen knights. Sure they do not have as much protection but under the new rules nothing in the game hits harder.

ikit_claw
01-04-2007, 06:28
I got into the game with a Bretonnian army, which was a lot of fun because of how mobile it was, with high armor saves all around and a minimum S5 on the charge for most of the army. Plus, back in those days, it was barely worth it to fire on a Bretonnian army.

I got bored of being good, so I switched to Skaven after they were redone for 6th Edition, and they're still my main army. I love them to death, but it takes forever to finish them off. Still, I love their fun special rules, their unreliability, and unique character and background. Once, I incinerated 1 Chaos Chosen and 11 Slaves with my Warpfire Thrower, and I gleefully told my opponent that I was still winning.

I've begun to collect Dark Elves recently, to try something completely different from what I'm used to. Bretonnia and Skaven are both "hammer" armies, where you hit the opponent with massive charges or overwhelming numbers. The Dark Elves are a "scalpel" army, requiring subtlety and precision to work correctly. My success has been mixed, but I'm getting better.

Vattendroppe
01-04-2007, 08:07
4.- I like to play armies that seldom people use, maybe that's the reason why I also have a Halflings Army:D )

I just got to ask, what's the feeling of playing an army with a standard toughness of 2?

Kirth
01-04-2007, 09:35
Vampire counts because zombies are awesome.

They have a special rule called "Braindead." It doesn't get any better than that!

Capitán Sánchez
01-04-2007, 09:39
I just got to ask, what's he feeling of playing an army with a standard toughness of 2?

T2, but WS4 and Ld8 make them nice opponents. Not to mention it is a really funny army.

Anyway I am more painter than player, and love the models, specially housewives and cookers. :D

Oh, BTW, I have a big Bretonnian Army I used to play with, but being based in infantry units I do not use it anymore since the 6th. ed. AB was released.

Thank you

lilljonas
01-04-2007, 09:55
I have Nipponese, due to a crush on japanese history.

Onisuzume
01-04-2007, 11:11
I just got to ask, what's the feeling of playing an army with a standard toughness of 2?
Ask any lizardmen player with a horde of skinks. :p
Or a southlands/Red Host army because their standard infantry has...wait for it.... T2! Heck we got hero-level characters with T2... Or even T2 lord-level characters in the southlands.
Probably the only army at it.

And if you're looking for the definition of light cavalry; than Horned One Riders are it. M8, fast cavalry, WS2, S4 on the charge, 6+ armour save and.... T2 for the riders. >_>

I have Nipponese, due to a crush on japanese history.
Which army book do you use to represent them? Empire? DoW?

Vattendroppe
01-04-2007, 11:14
And if you're looking for the definition of light cavalry; than Horned One Riders are it. M8, fast cavalry, WS2, S4 on the charge, 6+ armour save and.... T2 for the riders. >_>

IIRC the horned one riders are pretty expensive also?

lilljonas
01-04-2007, 11:24
Which army book do you use to represent them? Empire? DoW?

Empire. I'm doing late 16th century, so it's all spearmen, pikemen, shock cavalry and handgunners. The list will probably be very nerfed, since I'm cutting off engineers, crossbowmen, free company, pistoliers, outriders, mortars, helblasters, helstorms, steam tanks and probably swordmen, flagellants and mages due to the background. But DoW pikemen are in. :)

Onisuzume
01-04-2007, 11:35
Empire. I'm doing late 16th century, so it's all spearmen, pikemen, shock cavalry and handgunners. The list will probably be very nerfed, since I'm cutting off engineers, crossbowmen, free company, pistoliers, outriders, mortars, helblasters, helstorms, steam tanks and probably swordmen, flagellants and mages due to the background. But DoW pikemen are in. :)
So that would be after the Sengoku Jidai...
A pity imo.
Since I could see the flagellants work as, for example, Sohei or Ikkō-ikki.
Possibly with a warrior-priest leading them.

||-MARKO-||
01-04-2007, 11:44
WAAAGH! da orcs is fer me. not cuz der a 'orde, or cuz da gruntz an dat arr good ut anythin', but cuz der fun. oo wantz an armee wut iznt fun when itz fer playin' a game?

OR

i play orcs. not because their a horde army, or because they have cool stuff like giants, rock lobbers and black orcs, but because theyre fun. who plays a GAME with an army that aint fun :D

marko

dodge33cymru
01-04-2007, 11:46
High Elves

i) I like the arrogance.
ii) I like the 'eliteness'.
iii) I like the "last line of defence" element of their fluff.
iv) I like the use of own weapons and evasion as a defence, as opposed to physical toughness and armour (unfortunately, not very well represented in current WFB).
v) I loved elves in Tolkien's books.

But I think the main reason I am stuck with them is magic. I love the imagery of magic and this is what first drew me to them back in 4th edition. 5th ed. Master of Stone anyone?

Reflex
01-04-2007, 11:47
i am a men of lizards player... nothing like battle hungry sauruses and pain in the **** skinks to win the day for the old ones.

grg3d
01-04-2007, 11:50
Ogre Kingdoms
1) I like the models (well most of them)
2) Always wanted to do them since 2nd addition and now have an army book
3) Believe it or not I like the history in the ogre book
4) Not allot of people play ogres
5) Bracer of "hand guns"....nice
6) Smaller model count for overall army
7) Easier to paint (big models) my eyes are getting tired
8) Easy to do conversions on
9) Most players underestimate them
10) Their Ogres

lilljonas
01-04-2007, 11:51
So that would be after the Sengoku Jidai...
A pity imo.
Since I could see the flagellants work as, for example, Sohei or Ikkō-ikki.
Possibly with a warrior-priest leading them.

Yes, I'm basing them on the eastern army of Sekigahara, 1600. Ikko-ikki purged, and no large amount of sohei in any of the major armies by then (Tokugawa were hostile to and defeated the buddhists in Mikawa, for instance). So flagellants are only ok if I broaden my army further into the fantasy realm once I've reached 2000ish points. Would work for the Nipponese army, not so with the Sekigahara army. We'll see.

EDIT: also, I don't think that PM's ikko-ikki is "all that", which affects my choise. After all, the reason for choosing the army (oooh, on topic!) is simply to be able to field all those other lovely, lovely miniatures. :)

The boyz
01-04-2007, 11:58
My main army is Dwarfs, but its been a while since I have played with them. The army that I am playing with most at the minute, is my second army which is Skaven.

The thing I like most about the Skaven, is the fact, they can be the most enjoyable and most frustrating army to play with, all in the same game.

bert n ernie
01-04-2007, 12:52
Wow, good to hear from you Captain Sanchez,
didn't think you were still around these days.
Halflings? man, and i thought I had a weak unit horde army.
how can you have ranked units in a halfling army? Surely by the time you've gotten half of them to rank up the other half have all gone off for Mid Afternoon Tea?

Nekki
01-04-2007, 13:23
how can you have ranked units in a halfling army? Surely by the time you've gotten half of them to rank up the other half have all gone off for Mid Afternoon Tea?

Picturing that in front of me was rather amusing. Make a good special rule for them.
Do not dare interupt the afternoon tea. :p

Angelwing
01-04-2007, 13:39
I run skaven, just liked the look of them, vampire counts and tomb kings because of the whole undead thing, and chaos dwarfs because i hadnt seen an army of them in years.

Commodus Leitdorf
01-04-2007, 13:43
Empire! Gotta love flashy colours and columns of soldiers marching to face whatever happens to be popping out of the woods today!

Plus, im historically a fantasy racist, if it ain't human I dont wanna play it...My Chaos Dwarfs being the exception of course ;)

xiau
01-04-2007, 20:48
I used to mainly play Ogres, as i love mass blocks of Ironguts sprinkled with gut magic, some very nasty combinations. These days however though iv'e somewhat retired from battling and spend time building up armies, i have a few on the go at the moment. When i do return to battling though, i would like it to be with a Kislevite army.

Strangelove
01-04-2007, 21:08
Main army is still Wood Elves, but I got a bit bored with them, and a lot of people didn't like playing against them.

So...

I just started Ogres. They're a new style of painting and playing, and seem to be difficult to win with. I like the models and the fluff as well.

Also, I hate Reabe. :p

studderigdave
01-04-2007, 21:13
4k of lizardmen and 3k of ogres.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
01-04-2007, 21:27
I have around 5k of Orcs and Goblins. They're my favorite army because, when it comes down to it, they are well and truly a thinker's army. You can't go to battle with M4 troops and decidedly "charge". You especially can't do that with M4 troops that make up their own mind 1/3 of the time what THEY feel they oughtta do. So playing O/G keeps you on your toes, you take what the fates toss at you and incorporate it into Da Kunnin' Plan.

I like to stomp my foes into the dirt because I stomp 'em for me and nuffink else. Not no stupid gods (G/M are only to be invoked, not worshipped), not no stupid boss man (well, besides me), not some sense of nationalism. Your battle is fluffy as long as you're having a battle.

Oh and I think that the plastics are alright (I normally can't stand plastics), but I especially like the savage and black orcs. Those are a delight to paint.

Crazy Harborc
02-04-2007, 02:05
Well......I don't play Skaven, Chaos deamon armies, Ogre Kingdoms. I do play the rest, and have armies to use too.;) I prefer to just let my VC and TK armies gather dust. Orcs/Goblins and Empire are my usual favorites.

PinkFellSquig
02-04-2007, 05:58
Vampire Counts

Dwarfs

Wood Elves

maybe also Skaven

soultaker87
02-04-2007, 07:34
I play Lizardmen and Orcs and Goblins (heck I like green). lizardmen was my first, I love anything that has scales and spikes. also I love dinos. I like green-skins because they kinda remind me of me and my little brother arguing over nothing:D . also because they are fun to play with. I would have to say that lizardmen are used in serious battles while orcs are used in fun battles.

Nell2ThaIzzay
02-04-2007, 08:19
I run Necrarch Vampire Counts because I always like Necromancy in my fantasy.

EverQuest - Originally ran a Druid, but eventually moved to Necromancer
Diablo 2 - Necromancer
WarCraft 3 - Undead
Morrowind - Wood Elf with summoning abilities. Secondary a Necro
Oblivion - Summoner
World of WarCraft - Undead Warlock
Magic: The Gathering: Black / Green Reanimator deck

When I began reasearching Warhammer and learning about it probably a good 3 years ago or so, before I knew anything about the game, and how it worked, or anything, I knew that I wanted to play Vampire Counts. I chose to play Necrarchs, because they were the most magic heavy bloodline, and I was playing them for the Necromancy, so it was just obvious for me.

After a box of Skeletons in which I assembled about 6, I stopped with the hobby, because I didn't have the patience to assemble and paint the models. Not only that, but it's a very expensive hobby.

But my friend never really got out of it, and decided one day, probably close to 2 years ago, that we should give Warhammer a 2nd chance. So, I hunkered down, put together those damned Skeletons, and ended up buying more and more, until I eventually got myself a complete army. I've been playing Vampire Counts for 2 years strong, and I have no plans on stopping anytime soon.

I tried to build a Hordes of Chaos army as a secondary, because I like the daemonic concepts and such, but I haven't been able to really get into it.

I've been wanting to build a Wood Elves army as well for awhile (wood elves, druids, and such, have always been #2 for me in fantasy, just behind Necromancy), and after I got my tax money in, I went ahead and blew over $340 yesterday on 2150 points worth of Wood Elves.

I build my armies based upon the fantasy themes and elements that I like. I'm big on dark magic, Necromancy specifically, and Undead when it comes to my fantasy, so Vampire Counts were a no-brainer. Chaos appealed to me because of the Daemons, and on the same line as Undead, I like the concept of the Daemons and such. I like fairly dark elements of my fiction.

With my Wood Elves, I'm going for a "living forest" theme, and am running mostly Dryads, and Treekin, with Branchwraith heroes, and a Treeman Ancient as my general. I should get my first Wood Elf game in on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it.

Frankly
02-04-2007, 09:09
Empire at the moment.

I had a few thousand points of empire that have been and hanging around over the years and I've finally got a chance too play them.

I'm interested in playing a more static battle line and getting away from my more mobile armies, LM and VC.

Nell2ThaIzzay
02-04-2007, 17:51
more mobile armies, LM and VC.

VC, mobile?

What kind of crack are you smoking?

Vattendroppe
02-04-2007, 18:12
VC, mobile?

What kind of crack are you smoking?

Dunno, but it seems to be magic... :D

Oh, I just have to laugh at that one! Even though it's my own joke.

him_15
02-04-2007, 18:39
My's lizardmen.
I just like lizard and dinosaur.
It's also easier to paint compares to other races, no symbol on banner and shield. But the model still looks very nice.
Love their cold-blooded role too.

Angry Lawyer
02-04-2007, 19:23
Fimir (proxying over Beasts of Chaos) because they're what peaked my interest back when I was introduced to the hobby through Heroquest.

Kislev, because Polish-inspired stuff rocks.

High Elves, because they came with the 4th edition boxed set and I didn't have that much money back in the day.

-Angry Lawyer

Nell2ThaIzzay
03-04-2007, 09:00
Dunno, but it seems to be magic... :D

Oh, I just have to laugh at that one! Even though it's my own joke.

Hehe, nice.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
03-04-2007, 09:10
Well my main army is OnG( mostly goblins:p), and I treuly love the looks of such an army on the field but they are fun to play and I lost only one battle with my goblins since the coming of the new book:d. And I have around 15 000pts of OnG and it is still expanding.

Green is Best

But I'm slowly starting a skaven force( I hate the tails).

Greetz
G

snurl
03-04-2007, 10:00
Dwarves. and more dwarves. and then some.
And the Slayers Army.

I also have a 50% completed Tomb kings army,
A 33% completed Orc army,
And a seething pile of old undead which may yet see daylight someday.

Why?
I liked the Dwarves ever since I read the Hobbit. When the first D&D figures came out back in the 70's, I bought some. Dwarves, that is. Hooked ever since.

Bloodknight
03-04-2007, 10:41
My main army is Dogs of War, as they allow me to buy random models I like and play them together in a very unbeardy way :).

My second army (and first WFB army) is Tomb Kings, which were the first WFB models I actually liked. They´re still my most successful army in gaming terms.

My 3rd army: Dwarves. I always wanted some dwarves, but the army was too expensive before Skull Pass.

Dogskills
03-04-2007, 12:47
Have to say He for the moment. Why? you say well cause they are a big step from my OaG that is my real main army. Fewer models, very different in painting and play style.

balthier
04-04-2007, 00:27
I use the WE.

I used to use Dark Elves but i found them too daunting. I used to hate the WE but i love them now. i like thier lore and i think they look amazing. Not forgetting their story and background.

rastro
04-04-2007, 00:49
I play Orcs with a few goblins in there.
i just like the background for the Orcs and i got a ton of the models

Az_Barag
04-04-2007, 11:14
Go the Dawi. I have played dwarfs for about 5 years, after buying them off my best mates brother after he was converted to 40 K. I love the high WS and Ld and the T helps out alot against most missiles and spells. I also love the gunlines of them, so all in all i love playing with them.

Az

Necrothrall
04-04-2007, 11:21
I collect Vampire Counts as my main army. More specifically the Von carstein and Blood Dragon bloodlines, although I've been known to use a pure necromancer force. I've collected undead since 4th ed. What got me started was seeing a bunch of skeltons in a white dwarf that my friend brought into school about 11 years ago, and basically I thouht they looked cool.

I also collect Skaven, for no reason other than Grey Seer Thanquol was my favourite character in the Gotrek and Felix Novels.

I also have a small orc and goblin army. No real reason why I started it other than I liked the new models, especially Skarsnik, I'd I've got a bit of a thing for horde armies.

Braad
04-04-2007, 18:58
Green!

And then I don't mean nature...

TheWarSmith
04-04-2007, 19:07
Chaos, period.

I just love the variety, and Tzeentch is just plain awesome. I love that I have access to flyers, cavalry, skirmishers, ambushers, magic, infantry, and artiller.....oh wait, no artillery.

It's so much fun that I can run widely different lists almost every game and have fun.

Selsaral
04-04-2007, 20:17
I picked up chaos without really knowing anything about the game or the other armies. But it wasn't a bad decision, I like bad guys, and I like a vaguely serious theme unlike for example orcs.

I haven't come across an army I liked as much except for Lizardmen and Wood Elves. One of my gaming buddies got into Lizardmen and after reading their army book and seeing their miniatures I concluded I would be just as happy collecting them instead of Chaos.

And as for wood elves....well I was overcome by the pretty pictures on the games workshop website and have started collecting them myself. The earlier edition did nothing for me, but the seventh edition model range is far superior and really grabbed me.

Crazy Harborc
05-04-2007, 03:31
My REALLY favorite army????....That is not a legal army by the by. It would be a mix of of Empire, DoW, Greenskins, Woodies and High Elves.

I use AB to generate my rosters....i can just se the read inked warnings flashing on the screen, if I ever try to use Army Builder to create a "Borc's Special Army roster":eek:

neXus6
05-04-2007, 04:03
I've collected Greenskins for about 13 years, I've always liked them.
Kinda moved onto Beastmen too probably for the same reasons I like Greenskins the two are pretty similar yet different. :D

vinush
05-04-2007, 21:49
Empire - Because I like the models, and the rules, and the range of fluff you can come up with for your army.

Vampire Counts - I started off with undead back in 5th Edition, and have always had a place for them in my unbeating heart. They tie in with the fluff of my Empire army too...

High Elves - My third army ever. I liked the look of the models, and so I started them. Shame the rules never really suited the background.

Wood Elves - Started for a Crazed Gamers article we did at my local club.

Orcs & Goblins - My second ever army, and first complete one. No matter how hard I try to turn away from the uncultured, inherrently anti-tactics rabble that are O&G, my heart's still green to the core.

And a smattering of Dwarves - Taken for the UK doubles tournament a couple of years back. We placed 69th, which is almost as good as first in my opinion.

\/ince

xibo
05-04-2007, 21:59
Dark Elves for the fluff and the executioner and corsair models ( although most of the others are awesome, too, imo ). I'm thinking about starting wood elves, not so much because of the fluff but because of the models, too.

Warwolt the skaven
05-04-2007, 22:18
skaven, because its the only army I can field 100 models in 500pts without being scared away by anything and anyone (Nightsuckers)

Dooks Dizzo
05-04-2007, 22:22
I play Ogres because I am retarded.

The Dark One
05-04-2007, 22:37
undead, because i like skeletons, zombies, wraiths and Nagash a lot

Parka boy
05-04-2007, 22:57
I've collected nearly all the armies at one time or another apart from elves I'd like to have a dark elf /cult army at some point because I like the theme.

The armies I have at the moment

O&G: I like green and big infantry units I used to like the randomness about the list but now most of that seems to have been written out.

DoW: I started because I like the idea of a mercenary army but now I like it for being balanced list flexible list where special rules don't win you the game (but thanks to the crappy paymaster rule they will lose you one or two)

Nurgle Legion: Solid army that is balanced by some huge weaknesses I'll be very sad if the Legion armies don't get a fair list in the new chaos books.

Empire: From DoW to empire in a few easy models.

Brets: Well they can become very boring to play because of the lack of variation and a knightmare to paint. But I wanted a human general that could go nose to nose with the big boys.
Its so easy to max out on magical items with this list and what lack of variation the rest of the army it sure has loads of fun items and virtues :) Come on chaos if you think your hard enough Grrrrr

but mostly because I like the models

Grymlok
05-04-2007, 23:22
Lizardmen,

Just love crushing anything with Kroxies!!!! Also, I love Saurus and all the Dinosaur models. Fantastic army to paint too, with a lot of colourful options available to you.

lust_
06-04-2007, 01:24
lot of O&G so far

kaimarion
06-04-2007, 01:58
I play chaos hordes
because i play chaos in 40k aswell so am a fantasy noob but they always apealed to me...i ve been playin them for 4 months now and never looked back and hopefuly never will.
the fire still burns

Talonz
06-04-2007, 03:28
Empire, first and foremost.

Men, steel, gunpowder. Lots of troops. Nuff said.

Then goblins. And I do mean goblins. Well ok, some trolls, giants and snotllings, but no orcs! And no wolves even (but for my general, but that will change as the new mount models come out).

And finally, perhaps skaven. I have a few blisters already but need to work on my first 2 armies first. Loved playing them in mark of chaos! The voice work on them got me right away! And an all foot troop army with assassins, wacky warp tech, etc.? Awesome.