PDA

View Full Version : Which race of Elves do you prefer?

balthier
31-03-2007, 20:34
This is a question which i know myself. I prefer the WE, but i dno't really have a good idea about what other people think.

All three races of Elves have good story background and their own unique battle style. Who's army/race do you prefer more, and which story do you prefer out of Wood Elves, Dark Elves, or High Elves?

superknijn
31-03-2007, 20:39
Dark Evles; they fit my Lawfull Evil or at times my Chaotic Evil tendencies.
High Elves are a bit too boring and standard for me, and wood elves have never been my thing,. especialy now that everyone plays them.

xenotaph
31-03-2007, 21:03
Dark Elves FTW!!!

I would pick Dark Elves on all accounts. They also reside on the continent that looks also similar to North America. Bonus! Or is GW trying to tell us something? LOL

god octo
31-03-2007, 21:03
I play wood elves, and they were my first (and currently) only fantasy army. I don't know why I picked them, though I have the sneaking suspicion that it was due to the pic of the Great Eagle born mage!

skott4991
31-03-2007, 21:12
Combat wood elves would be my favourites because i have never really looked at dark elves and well as for high elves...:o ...zzzzz.

Onisuzume
31-03-2007, 21:12
(Un)Dead ones. :P (yes, i'm refering to the standard bearer of the cursed company)

enyoss
31-03-2007, 21:22
... the Great Eagle born mage

That paints a pretty hideous picture :p.

I started off liking the Dark Elves around the early nineties but then absolutely fell in love with the High Elves after reading the 4th edition army book. I like the concept of the Wood Elves though, especially in their newest incarnation.

So in summary, High Elves are the favourites with Wood Elves a close second.

Cheers,

enyoss

Highborn
31-03-2007, 23:08
I love the High Elf background slightly more than the Wood Elf one, but the Wood Elf play style is much more to my liking so I play them and content myself with painting the occasional High Elf and hoping they get a good book soon.

Tsot
31-03-2007, 23:36
Wood Elves! no pointy hats :D

==Me==
31-03-2007, 23:57
It's gotta be the DE: cruel, capricious, cunning, and other cool words starting with "c" :D

Following that, the Elves distilled into Skavenbrew

hertz
31-03-2007, 23:59
I really canīt choose.
It depends on in which respect, and it goes back and forth between all three.

Tsot
01-04-2007, 00:19
It's gotta be the DE: cruel, capricious, cunning, and other cool words starting with "c" :D

Following that, the Elves distilled into Skavenbrew

conniving, carnivorous, callous, crafty, crooked, conspiring, calculating, clever :p

Makaber
01-04-2007, 00:24
Villains are always more interesting than heroes, so I prefer Dark Elves by a longshot.

Tanith Ghost
01-04-2007, 00:49
Dark Elves FTW!!!

I would pick Dark Elves on all accounts. They also reside on the continent that looks also similar to North America. Bonus! Or is GW trying to tell us something? LOL

That we're cruel raiders and opressors? That the rest of the world lives in constant fear of where we'll raid next or who we'll dub the 'Ulthuan' to our' Naggoroth'? That we have pointy ears? Is that it GW? Are you trying to tell us we have pointy ears!? :p

Dark elves every time. For the reasons given above. Anyone with that many good 'c' words that decribes them is totaly awsome.

Caligula
01-04-2007, 00:51
None of 'em, ya can't trust the pointy-eared cowards.
Sorry...that'd be the Dwarf in me coming out.

Voltaire
01-04-2007, 01:40
The tragic Dark Elves always grabbed my fancy. There's a great sadness in the Dark Elves.

sulla
01-04-2007, 02:06
DE. They are a nice mixture of imperial roman backstabbing and treachery allied to the bloodthirsty religions of south america.

Add to that their compulsive flirtation with danger allied to the newer backstory for them presenting them in a tragic light and they are such a tragic,twisted fun mixture that they are the most fun elves for the roleplayer in me.

(Doesn't mean I'm happy with how they work on the battlefield, but it provides some consolation for it...)

Freenut
01-04-2007, 02:39
I have 4 elven armies (one is undead but I designed it to play like a wood elf army. ) Which one I perfer would depend on what kind of mood I am in. But if I had to pick one it would be High Elves. For all the problems with there list I still love the fluff and most of the models. Besides they seem the most "Elfy" to me.

Alathir
01-04-2007, 04:15
Wood Elves are my favourite but they beat High Elves just by a little bit... I love the Wood Elves style and feel but I love the eliteness of the High Elves and their background is really awesome.

Dark Elves don't do that much for me, they are a little but 'ooh, kinky'.

Overt_Spy
01-04-2007, 06:54
High Elves are at the top of the list for me, but then again thats because i've always been a "good"-type guy.

Dark Elves get second, because they're fun to beat up on. ;)

Wood Elves are at last, I dig the whole nature thing, but dislike the whole hiding in their forest, shooting from the shadows, being protected by trees. Who likes hippies anyways?

SisterMordagg
01-04-2007, 07:11
None of 'em, ya can't trust the pointy-eared cowards.
Sorry...that'd be the Dwarf in me coming out.

Spot on Caligula. Spot on.

Ward.
01-04-2007, 07:50
Wood elves and dark elves are tied for me, don't really mind high elves, they just seem as interesting as the other two.

gorenut
01-04-2007, 08:53
It's cliche to think that villains are cool :)

I personally like High Elves' imagery and story the best, but I like their models and rules the least.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
01-04-2007, 11:27
Dead elves.

I feel I associate the most with Wood Elves...the militant environmentally friendly psycho that'll slit your throat in your sleep if you **** in the wrong bush. I really like them.

I like the High Elf background the most, of all the armies out there. Still, like a certain American political party, they're pansies in the face of True Evil.

Dark Elves still have the best models imo (better than the wood elf ones, except the plastics). I guess I have the most respect for them, even if I don't appreciate what they do.

Intrepid Adventurer
01-04-2007, 11:48
It's cliche to think that villains are cool :)

I personally like High Elves' imagery and story the best, but I like their models and rules the least.

Worded my thoughts!

The boyz
01-04-2007, 12:03
My favourite Elf race has to be the twisted, evil, Dark Elves. They have some of the best looking units and I like their Background too.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-04-2007, 14:57
My favourite is...Well you can probably tell from my name.
next comes wood elves because I love bows and stealth and ranger stuff, oh yeah andI'm a tree hugger too!
then high elves because they are like dark elves, but the models are worse, cost more points and are sissier.

I love all elves, but it's good to see that DE are winning in this thread. All high elf players please take notice of my sig.

Rodzaju
01-04-2007, 16:40
I love the dark elves, but somehow can never manage to win with them....

Vogon
01-04-2007, 16:55
Dark elves all the way.

They still have some of the best minis in GW's catalogue and have the best back story of all the elven races.

Yes they can be challenging to use but I fo one would never change my allegance.

Cheers

Vogon.

Jongrom Calasson
01-04-2007, 17:07
1. Sea Elves :D
2. Dead Elves
3. Wood Elves
4. High Elves
9,999,999,999,999. Dark Elves

sigur
01-04-2007, 17:39
I quite like all of them but since their latest incarnation, I'm less fond of Wood Elves. Not necessarily because of their rules; it's more the miniatures which are bland and lack character. Also, WE are an elven army. There are just too many forest spirits in the army (Dryads shouldn't be a core choice in my opinion).

Dark Elves (the army I play) are terribly slick-looking antagonists. This extremely clichéed image is just fun to play with. You can imagine easily that the first thing Malekith does after getting up in the morning is shaking his fist towards Ulthuan, cursing and shouting things like "Next time I'll get you High Elves!" and "I will aquire my throne again, even if it takes another 1000 years!". They have enormously cool miniatures with lots of character and an okay army list. Not that I win much with them, but we aren't supposed to, right?;)

High Elves have very interesting, partly diverse fluff and look potentially beautiful on the battlefield. On the tabletop, nothing beats an army with a bright colour scheme. The list is kind of flawed (Heavy Cav as core units?:rolleyes: but there is a new army book coming up so let's hope for the best (as long as they retain a GWish elves image).

...Still, like a certain American political party, they're pansies in the face of True Evil...

It's always good to have the guys who can point right at the True Evil in the lead, right?

Phoenix_331
01-04-2007, 17:52
I prefer Wood Elves, because I just like the idea of sneaky elves killing the enemy from a distance and the enemy doesn't even know he is being attacked. And when the enemies get close, they call in the treespririts not to mention the powerfull treeman --> byby enemy!!:p
And be honest: you got to love the models!!

Tanith Ghost
01-04-2007, 17:56
Still, like a certain American political party, they're pansies in the face of True Evil.

Who, me?:evilgrin:

xiau
01-04-2007, 18:37
Wood Elves. Don't get me wrong, i am quite fond of all elves, but i like the fluff of Athel Loren.

Talonz
01-04-2007, 19:00
The only good elf is a dead elf. Hate the cheesy pansy bastards.

Although dark elves look pretty cool...at least then I would have the backstory to go along with my hatred of the other pointy eared bastards. :evilgrin:

Felworth
01-04-2007, 19:43
The only good elf is a dead elf.

Or at least a dying elf who can tell you where to find 'iz mates...

Elves is elves is elves. Sure, some might paint their nails black as opposed to say, white or blue or what not but at the end of the day their all the same. At least to a casual observer...

heh

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-04-2007, 19:51
Or at least a dying elf who can tell you where to find 'iz mates...

Elves is elves is elves. Sure, some might paint their nails black as opposed to say, white or blue or what not but at the end of the day their all the same. At least to a casual observer...

very very casual indeed.

Galladorn
01-04-2007, 20:03
High Elves

They are in a constant state of Warfare with their Dark Elf kin,
They are constantly invaded by EVERYTHING
and they still find the time to save the world when chaos invades the old world

Talonz
01-04-2007, 23:18
High Elves

They are in a constant state of Warfare with their Dark Elf kin,
They are constantly invaded by EVERYTHING
and they still find the time to save the world when chaos invades the old world

See what I mean? Arrogant bastards. :D ;)

Frankly
02-04-2007, 00:42
I like the whole idea of the woods coming alive and treemen charging into the ranks of the enemy

WE's for me.

PinkFellSquig
02-04-2007, 05:55
Wood Elves ... they've got my respect for messing with chaotic tree monsters. Dark Elves are pyramid-scheming drug mongerers. High Elves have a great unit diversity for being almost entirely elfy... buuuuuuuut they are currently BORING AS HELL TO LOOK AT!

nuff said...
~J~

Alathir
02-04-2007, 08:06

heh

The same could be said for pretty much every fantasy race, undead, dwarfs, demons etc.

Stormtrooper Clark
02-04-2007, 10:47
Dark Elves! *Evil crackeling can be heard in the background*

PS: Why not make a poll?

Sherlocko
02-04-2007, 11:06
I kind of like Dark Elves but itīs too bad that their plastics are kind of bland. Same could be said about High Elves. Both are at least a joy to play against.

The Wood Elves list on the other hand must have been the creation of too much smoking of magic plants or something. Swift daemons who strike hard wich are backed by fast cavalry and arrows. Not my favourite.

Lexmechanic
02-04-2007, 12:00
I enjoy reading the tragic fluff of both High Elves and Dark Elves. They are so closely connected. I prefer although high Elves in game terms (that is mainly because a friend of mine already has Dark Elves).
i think the WE fluff is quite lame and overacted.
" Beware, for this forest is prohibited to all lesser forms of life. Enter and we will kill you! Athel Loren for life"
It is also very unrealistic. There canīt be more than a couple hundred thousand wood elves there. Still they are able to fend off incoming Waaaghs! which contain tens of times more greenskins than the whole WE populace.
" The Greenskins rampaged through the sacred forest and despair grew in the hearts of brave elven defenders. The greentide was unstoppable. Then Orion wakes up and the remaining 2 million orcs and goblins panic and are killed in furious pursuit. The forest is again peaceful and the roots of newly born trees crawl through the skulls of fallen invaders."

Icarus
02-04-2007, 15:33
" Beware, for this forest is prohibited to all lesser forms of life. Enter and we will kill you! Athel Loren for life"
It is also very unrealistic. There canīt be more than a couple hundred thousand wood elves there. Still they are able to fend off incoming Waaaghs! which contain tens of times more greenskins than the whole WE populace.

To be fair, its guerrila warfare, and as such should be able to deal with a force ten times their own size. There are real-world examples of similar scenarios.

In answer to the question, I'm torn between Wood Elves and Dark Elves. Both have some really cool aspects to them, and I wouldn't really want to annoy either of them. High Elves are far too "Hi we're the happy shinny good guys" for me to pay them any attention I'm afraid.

Getifa Ubazza
02-04-2007, 15:47
I like Dark elves most, at the moment, tomorrow it may be High elves. Im not keen on the Wood elves themselves, although i like the tree things alot.

MadJackMcJack
02-04-2007, 17:16
Dead elves. Mwahahahaha!

Living-wise, high elves. I like the streamlined armour and smooth lines, plus they're always done shiney, which is always good. Dark elves come across as too "We're evil, so spikes galore lads! And stick the women in bikinis too!", while wood elves just aren't my thing at all.

Lexmechanic
02-04-2007, 18:09
To be fair, its guerrila warfare, and as such should be able to deal with a force ten times their own size. There are real-world examples of similar scenarios.

that's true. I got a little carried away. But still they are a very small faction in the Warhammer World. It is a wonder how they survive.

High Elves are far too "Hi we're the happy shiny good guys" for me to pay them any attention I'm afraid.

May be, but I see them on a different perspective. I think they are much like the Eldar in 40k. They are not the good guys, they are overarrogant and concider every other race inferior compared to them. It is mainly because of their psychological flaws that there exists Dark Elves and the world was almost swallowed by chaos. Their arrogance destroyed the two only possible protectors of the world in the War of the Beard. They pursuit their own ends. They come without warning and may exterminate the whole populace of a whole Empire city without any haste just because it was built on something valuable or was a possible threat in the future. Next day they come to aid in the battle against chaos warbands that ravage the given county.

They are one of the most realistic factions in the game fluffwise. Dark Elves are cool, but if you think about it, would there ever be such a culture. No civilian riots? No questioning? They come and kill, take slaves for fun and are allround nasty and mean. Just because they lost a civil war their culture became utterly corrupted and every single one of them holds eternal bitter towards High Elves. Weren't Dwarfs supposed to be the ones who hold grudges?

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
02-04-2007, 18:11
PS: Why not make a poll?

I agree, can somebody do that please.:)

Icarus
02-04-2007, 19:06
May be, but I see them on a different perspective. I think they are much like the Eldar in 40k. They are not the good guys, they are overarrogant and concider every other race inferior compared to them. It is mainly because of their psychological flaws that there exists Dark Elves and the world was almost swallowed by chaos. Their arrogance destroyed the two only possible protectors of the world in the War of the Beard. They pursuit their own ends. They come without warning and may exterminate the whole populace of a whole Empire city without any haste just because it was built on something valuable or was a possible threat in the future. Next day they come to aid in the battle against chaos warbands that ravage the given county.

I was talking more about their models and imagery than anything else, not being too familiar with their background myself. In the sense you describe they do become a bit more interesting. However they still don't grab me at all, which is odd given I'm huge fan of the Eldar in 40k.

RustyHarlequin
02-04-2007, 23:19
All three, plus Eldar in W40K (actually a mix of Craftworld & Dark :evilgrin: ).

I really couldn't say any one specifically as they all have an equal amount of good points; my Dark Elven army is probably the oldest one (more than half the army are ancient pre-slotta metal based ones, around a hundred plus of them including cold ones), Wood elf the most mixed with GW/Grenadier and other makes making up its compostion, and High elf has Grenadier & Ral Partha units but is becoming increasingly comprised of Lord of the Rings miniatures :D

Felworth
03-04-2007, 03:40
very very casual indeed.

Heh, if you Dark Elves wanted to get your island back so badly all you would have to do is stop painting your armor black and switch over to white.

Trust me, no one would notice... lest of all the High Elves.

The Old Scholar
03-04-2007, 05:22
When I was young, I collected Wood Elves because there weren't any other elves. When playing Wood Elves, I loved them the most because of the Wardancers. I think the idea of berserker elves is cool as hell.

Life overwhelmed me. I left the Warhammer universe for several years and returned when the High Elves Army set had just come out. Fourth Edition, I think. I learned then about Swordmasters. This idea sold me on High Elves and at the time the models outshined the static, hooded Wood Elf models that looked like crap next to my Skarloc's Wood Elf archers.

That leaves the Dark Elves. They are okay. If I had to choose an aspect of the Dark Elves I would have to say the Witch Cults and their Assassins are really intriguing.

But, because I view High Elves as truly good--regardless of countless complaints about them being arrogant, haughty, aloof, and pansy weaklings--I find their Samurai-esque dedication to martial perfection--Swordmasters--their affinity for magic, and their kinship with Dragons to be really tantalizing.

So, I pick High Elves.

Scythe
03-04-2007, 11:17
Dark elves first... great models, nice background and history, and a very challenging but rewarding army to play on the tabletop, with possibilities to excel in every game phase.

Wood elves have extremely good models and a unique playing style, but not as diverse as the dark elves, so they come second.

I find the high elves background very interesting. Sadly, the models are not really interesting, and the current rules are pretty bland, with only one or two viable army builds.

Hawkmoon
03-04-2007, 16:31
It's gotta be dark elves. For the same reasons that many have already stated. Cool background, a challenging but enjoyable army list and some of the best models in the WHFB range. (minus the hydra, ugh!)

Not to mention Dark Elves were the second army I ever collected and the first army I ever fielded in a battle. (a friends army I borrowed)

Wood elves would definitely get a 'best improved army' award though, considering their past incarnations.

rastro
04-04-2007, 00:52
dark elves i just love the pure evilness
too many people have wood elves
never even played against a high elf in any game

Monk
04-04-2007, 01:08
Dead elves. Mwahahahaha!

Precisely!

Saulot
04-04-2007, 04:15
Dark elves come across as too "We're evil, so spikes galore lads! And stick the women in bikinis too!"

And who doesn't like that?!? :p :p

Dark Elves got my vote. (If there were a poll). :D

TheWarSmith
04-04-2007, 05:37
dark all the way. Gotta love how sadistically twisted they are. I am so anxious/worried/excited to see how they get redone in 2027.

Az_Barag
04-04-2007, 06:38
I like the WE becuase of the units are original to just them, I love the models so much more that the other elves. Also i like the fact they a slight evilness to them that the HE dont have but not as much as the DE have. Woodies also have awesome rules and can move whole forests, not even the HE can so that.

Az

Cadian Desert Guard
05-04-2007, 00:37
Dark elves all the way, mostly because i don't like the egotistic high elves and because wood elves hang out in trees, there has to be something wrong with them.

MadJackMcJack
05-04-2007, 01:28
And who doesn't like that?!? :p :p

From my pervy point of view, yay. But my practical side realises that having that much exposed flesh in a battle is very much a bad thing. Plus the whole chainmail bikini thing is so cliche. Hell, the whole way they portray their evil is cliche! I can just imagine the first meeting of the Druchii lords.

"Right lads, so we've decided to turn evil. Any ideas on how to do that?"
"Well, we could glue a bunch of spikes to our armour and some black paint maybe?"
"Ooooo! What about scantily-clad warrior chicks? They're always evil right?"
"Beautiful! Let's chuck in some monsters and adopt slavery and then call it a day. Who wants to order cathayan?"