PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Rifle Fun

deathwing_marine
01-04-2007, 05:38
Last night, I was playing a League game. I was using some sniper scouts, and shot at the side armor of a predator. my missile launcher did nothing, but one of my snipers penetrated the armor, causing the vehicle to explode!

So, I want to hear cool things people have done with the sniper rifle.
Stories, anyone?

Joewrightgm
01-04-2007, 05:51
I've seen (thankfully not been a victim of) scouts blowing up:
Land Speeder
Dreadnaught (Front Armor! 12 on 2D6, then 6 on the Glance Chart)
Leman Russ (Side armor shot, as above,)
Those are the really good/bad/ugly ones I can remember off the top of my head.

ctsteel
01-04-2007, 05:55
playing a homebrew 40k campaign with some friends (is still ongoing, using map grids, resource points to create new army units etc)

we started out by landing our forces on the map, and essentially we need to move to each grid, and depending on the roll of a die the local inhabitants might be there with what armed forces they have, to oppose we invaders. We set the locals up as deliberately worse than a standard 40k army, as they are not intended to put up fierce battles and cripple our forces, merely make it harder to take territory and force being careful with your units when every point lost counts. And allows the other player to have fun with the locals, effectively throwing them into battle without caring what happens as they are not his own army being demolished - good tactical practice.

Anyway, the army list for the inhabitants was very weak against vehicles initially, such that we have now improved it somewhat. But at the time of my story, the toughest weapon the locals had that even had a chance of scraping armour was a huntsman armed with a standard sniper rifle.

So in one game i was playing the inhabitants, my friend's SM army was rampaging through the board, droppodding and such. He dropped his dread into the middle of the table and proceeded to tear up everything around him.

I deliberately at this point, moved a unit of fodder away from his dread and slightly behind cover, causing him to have to move his dread towards them to rip them up. This of course was my plan, as I'd left a huntsman hiding in forest on the other side of the board, not using him so as to avoid alerting my friend to his presence. There was a tac squad sitting very close to him so I wanted his one shot to count before he died.

My sniper lined up at the dread's rear armour.... hit. I rolled 1d6 for armour pen, got a 6. I rolled another d6, another 6 - penetrating hit, and got a lovely vehicle destroyed result. One shot, one kill of a dread. It was brilliant (if I do say myself), we all couldn't believe it and burst out laughing. Even went to the trouble of taking some photos from the snipers LOS, showing the blown up dread with some cotton wool smoke as it was just a perfect gaming moment.

I imagined that with a big fat juicy dread engine housing in his sights, he's proceeded to place a bullet right up the exhaust pipe :) Of course the marines realised he was sitting behind them right after that and promptly shredded him, but he served his purpose.

deathwing_marine
01-04-2007, 06:00
Its definitely weird moments like these that make 40k great.

Oh yeah, I destroyed a Rhino with a Sniper rifle too

Allarion
01-04-2007, 06:22
this isn't scouts, but eldar pathfinders (still sniper fire)

i took out 2 tau broadside battlesuits in the first turn with 6 shots
and that was his only anti-tank, so that was nice

Reflex
01-04-2007, 07:00
well this is a bit odd but none the less funny...

was using the light infantry doctrine for guard and had a squad of 10 with 1 sniper. anywho, the whole game the sniper did not kill a thing by shooting, but on turn 5 the rest of the squad was wiped out, but he held, he was charged by the lord of change... anywho the lord failed to kill him, he was on one wound, and in hand to hand my sniper kill the lord of change demon...

another funny one was a pathfinder that killed a whole terminator squad on its own before the termies could charge it... picked one off each turn...

deathwing_marine
01-04-2007, 07:12
@ Reflex: wow, thats one brutal guardsman. that'd be so funny to see him whack the lord of change with the butt of his rifle, and the thing actually goes down! :p

jayishollywood
01-04-2007, 08:09
In my IG army i use a unit of 10 ratlings, the best thing 110 points buys.

This unit has never failed to amaze me, killing countless wraithlords, a couple of chaos lords, as well as lots of marines.

I played a game 3 days ago and 6 shot at a orkk trukk with my opponents boss in it. The first roll to pen was an 11 followed by a 12. I ended up getting blowing the thing up and killing 4 trukk boyz as well as stopping the warbosses advance for a turn.

Though i did end up getting charged by him and slaughtered, it was a fun game.

Ravenous
01-04-2007, 08:16
Back when falcons were next to godlyness I took 2 of them down with sniper rifle fire.

rolled to hit 6, rolled to glance 12, rolled for damage with holo field 5,6

keatsmeister
01-04-2007, 08:54
Not really done anything special with the sniper rifle. DId clip the suppressors of a sniper squad once, which looked a little odd, but fun. In terms of games, my snipers usually do what I expect, nail a few grunts, bring down the MCs. It's when you manage to kill an Inquisitor Lord with a cultist and his bread knife, or someone manages to bring down your Chapter Master in Termie armour using Yarrick's Bale Eye that things get weird...

Lord of Skulls
01-04-2007, 09:16
My sniper Scouts against Space Wolves a while ago:

Turn 1: Blow up a Rhino, killing two of the passengers.
Turn 2: Snipes two more Marines.
Turn 3: Snipes two more Marines.
Turn 4: Snipes two more, before getting charged and bringing down a further 2 Space Wolves before dieing :)

RustyHarlequin
01-04-2007, 09:53
In the End Game campaign weekend at Notts I was up against a Witch Hunters army, tooled up with all sorts of anti-eldar nastiness. Sure enough my squadron of three War Walker opened fire upon a pair of Penitent Engines, only to fail to have any effect. The engines stormed forward, got shot at again to no effect, and finally charged into melee against my Walkers. All three were promptly destroyed, however three of my squad of Pathfinders in a neighbouring copse could now draw a line of sight on the Engines. Vainly opening fire on them, hoping to at least slow down their advance, they promptly hit and destroyed both with the proverbial roll of 6s :evilgrin:

This little incident remained a sore point with my opponent for the rest of the weekend, inspite of his having won that particular battle :angel:

xibo
01-04-2007, 09:59
Yesterday I had a special weapon squad with 2 sniper rifles shoot a huge sized black templar squad 6 out of 6 turns, every time causing one wound and him failing one save and the pinning test...

Does the Exitus Rifle count here, too?

guillimansknight
01-04-2007, 14:37
Last night, I was playing a League game. I was using some sniper scouts, and shot at the side armor of a predator. my missile launcher did nothing, but one of my snipers penetrated the armor, causing the vehicle to explode!

So, I want to hear cool things people have done with the sniper rifle.
Stories, anyone?

vindicare assainin turbo penetrater round and a mono that had just teleported the whole cron army

put it together

one battle

one shot

one victory

note home game so we tweaked the rules

thats how so many crons ended up within 6 of the mono ect

Flame Boy
01-04-2007, 15:08
Well, back in Second Edition My friend's Vindicare assassin was perched in a conspicuous watchtower, and when my Commander and his entourage advanced in a rhino, he wrecked the Rhino's track units, flipping the vehicle over an creating a whole mess. My Commander, a Librarian, a Chaplain, a Standard bearer and an Apothecary were left pinned behind a rhino, and the only one to have any chance of surviving was my Librarian, who cast The Gate to escape, but my entire command structure was taken out by that swine.

It's a lesson to people, when playing second edition, do not try to use your newly-bought 3rd edition command squand in the way it's intended in 3rd edition!

Thankfully the Vindicare isn't quite so terrifying anymore. He was taking my whole army out by himself. :-p

Inquisitor Lord Horus
01-04-2007, 15:22
I have 26 sniper rifles in my eldar outcast army and the coolest thing that happened to me was keeping a SM termie sqd pinned for a 4 turns in the same spot.

Lyinar
01-04-2007, 19:06
I've seen the exact opposite of all of these uber sniper stories.

I've faced an Inquisition army with a Vindicare Assassin who killed ONE thing the entire game, and that was just the Power-Weapon Initiate in one of my Black Templars Crusader squads.

And my Tau Sniper Drones, while they perform decently, their Drone Controller has never hit a single thing with his networked Marker Light.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
02-04-2007, 01:29
Playing against eldar with my SW for four turns two squads of long fangs had failed to kil a fire prism that was really making a mess of my army, on the fifth turn with no long fangs left i took a potshot with my scout sniper rifle, crashed the fire prism into his HQ which was holding the objective and got me enough victory points to draw the game - what a shot!

Dragonreaver
02-04-2007, 01:58
My squad of ten Scout Snipers killed a five-man Terminator squad the other day, in one round of shooting.

Not all that impressive really, when you consider that all it needs is at least five 2+s (I got 9), at least five 4+s (7!), and then at least five 1's from your opponent (that's the bit that takes some doing :p). But still pretty impressive :p

Especially as, when he saw the models come out of the case, he somewhat sheepishly asked me to run through the Pinning rules with him because he'd never played against Snipers before. Pffft, as if he's gonna survive long enough to be pinned, with rolls like that :p

Elvani
02-04-2007, 08:00
I was playing against my guard friend

eldar pathfinders: 1st turn took out his uber command squad as he had placed them right in their view

2nd turn: killed 5 kasrkins and pinned them.

3rd turn: owned his Leman Russ

4th turn: had a duel against his ratling snipers, (CC) hilding them up long enough to allow my avatar to rampage into the IG flank.

result: a routing IG army :skull: , my friend now always tries to concentrate fire on my pathfinders now (and when they are in cover most of the time, they have a 2+ cover save, so it takes him a long time to do much to them)

Anathema
02-04-2007, 09:39
When facing Marines I usually have at least one turn firing at Land Speeders with my Pathfinders. No-one aside from my regular opponents expects this and the look on their face when they realise you've just glanced their Speeder 3 times and killed it with Sniper rifles is priceless. They are excellent light vehicle killers.

FMMonty
02-04-2007, 10:04
I didn't realise they rolled 2d6 for penetration, and my pathfinders nearly always have light vehicles trying to blast them out of cover. I rather look foward to this for my next game...

Quin 242
02-04-2007, 10:09
Last sniper out of 10. Battlewagon full of Scarboyz w/ Warboss.

Single shot. 6 to hit. 2X6's to penetrate. 6 to blow it up :)
It went down and took over half the orks insdie down with it. The Scout went on to survive the game and killed another 2 orks :)

RustyHarlequin
02-04-2007, 23:44
I can only guess he was barely moving the Prism and you hit it in the rear armour then, in order to get a penetrating hit and explosion - other wise its destruction would have had no effect on his HQ :confused:
:evilgrin:

Playing against eldar with my SW for four turns two squads of long fangs had failed to kil a fire prism that was really making a mess of my army, on the fifth turn with no long fangs left i took a potshot with my scout sniper rifle, crashed the fire prism into his HQ which was holding the objective and got me enough victory points to draw the game - what a shot!

TEMPLARDAWG
03-04-2007, 00:04
My son killed a C'Tan with his Ultra Marine sniper scouts.

<><

LightedDark
03-04-2007, 00:22
Meigel.

One of my path-finders already had a rep. But this time he decided not to be in the Farseer's unit. I noticed afterward.

Anyway only thing in LOS is a Dread. So the rest of the guys watching the game laugh as I take the first two shots and do nothing. They delight in reminding me that I need double sixes to pen.

However I fire the last round, hit big surprise, wound, still the watchers aren't worried and remind me again. So I roll

And wouldn't you know it that was one dead dread. To balance this out my phineox lord (the Hawk one) Had died in his first turn doing nothing.

Sigh he can't roll an armour save to save his life. Oh well they all can't be Path-finders

Cadian Desert Guard
03-04-2007, 00:35
it seems most of these "fun moments" are followed up by horrible failure to win the game, do people only use their snipers in the worst situations and are surprised when they come through? anyway just thought id ask

LightedDark
03-04-2007, 00:42
I don't know about anyone else but I play an Altioc list[dice0]

deathwing_marine
03-04-2007, 02:11
Good stories everyone! Didn't think this would turn into a pathfinder thread :p Keep 'em coming!

@ Cadian Desert Guard: My scout snipers usually infiltrate into cover near a tank, since they have a missile launcher. When the ML fails to do anything, the sniper rifles are worth a try, proven in this thread!

03-04-2007, 02:49
I know a sniper who took out a bloodthirster in H2H.

ok so the squad took him down to one wound..he charged them in cover he struck first....luck was with hem and poof he died,

the owner said he was promoting him to chapter master hehe
it as funny

RavenMorpheus
03-04-2007, 06:02
My trusty Dark Angel scouts took down a Lord of Change once with their Sniper rifles, mainly because my opponent plonked him right in front of them so they had a perfectly clear shot - doh!

And I won that game

Stormtrooper Clark
03-04-2007, 10:55
Pathfinders, god i love them, since i play mostly Cityfight they are even better!

Crassus
03-04-2007, 13:30
vindicare assassin used a turbo-penetrator round into my land raider blowing up, then on the next turn, blew up my vindicator causing my flank to collapse

how unlucky was I?