PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pikes.

Kahadras
01-04-2007, 14:11
I've just started building a DoW army based on a human Tilean mercenary band. I really liked the idea of a couple of deep blocks of Pikemen to form a nice center for my army to build around. What did suprise me though was how little my gaming group thought of pikes.

I was advised to drop them and go for something else but after rereading the rules I really can't see what there isn't to like. Your unit can fight in 4 ranks giving you an insane amount of attacks, you get to strike first in the first round of any combat (unless your opponant has special rules that say otherwise) and you get a bonus to strength when charged by cavalry, warmachines or monsters.

On the downsides the pike counts as two handed so the best save you can get on your Pikemen is a 5+ leaving them vunerable to being shot and the fact that you don't get the pike bonuses if you get charged in the flank or the rear.

So what are other peoples thoughts?

Kahadras

Commissar Vaughn
01-04-2007, 14:23
I like pikes, My DOW rn two large blocks of them, and my opponents tend to advance to just outside charge range and stand there feeling a bit silly.

Most of gaming group is terrified of them, they can carve up any infantry they come across rather easily..but they cant stop cavalry. But the potential they have does tend to scare eneemy cavalry: They know they can charge without fear of much reprisal...you get to strike first but you wont kill anyone and then they'll slaughter your T3 troops! But theres always some doubt there...the knowledge that if it does go badly for the cavalry it will be very bad indeed!

generulpoleaxe
01-04-2007, 14:24
use skirmishers to shield them from missile fire and cavalry to protect the flanks.

nasty combination as your vunerable flanks are now protected, your pike men aren't going to sustain as many casualties from misslie fire and when combat comes you should be able to manage against many a unit.

sound troops pike men, just watch your flanks.

lilljonas
01-04-2007, 14:36
Another question about pikes: is fielding them with light armour suicide, or a good idea? I'm mostly thinking about it since the models I use have light armour, but it also cuts down a bit on the already pricey cost... thoughts and experiences?

I'm thinking of using it in Empire, and perhaps shielding it with some archers or detachments from units standing next to it.

Stouty
01-04-2007, 14:45
The amount of use you can get out of them depends on your opponents an awful lot.

If your area has loads of dirty players (wood elf+skirmish+combat or skinky/kroxi armies) then they are fairly pants. Against heavy cavalry they're pretty pants to, especially if your opponent refuses to charge you in the front. Shooting is pretty effective against them as well.

However if you play lots of conventional armies (blocks of infantry with supporting flankers) then you can find them quite useful if you play smart. I find that the number of conventional armies is fast disapearing though.

Also: Ogres **** bricks when they see pikes. They cause impact hits. Then you get something like 20 strength 4 attacks, 10 hits, 5 wounds and then they have a bad armour save. 1-2 ogres go splat. :D

The republican guard might be worth investing in if you want pikes. It's 1pt per model for WS 4 (though you do have to buy the stupid hero, he's not that bad value for money with his 4 S4 attacks, he can kill a swordsmen or two a turn). Hitting on 3s is never to be underestimated, as is the defensive properties of not being hit on 3s yourself.

Another question about pikes: is fielding them with light armour suicide, or a good idea? I'm mostly thinking about it since the models I use have light armour, but it also cuts down a bit on the already pricey cost... thoughts and experiences?

Never seen it done myself but they die pretty fast normally. Maybe it might be a good idea, maybe the 5+ save isn't worth it. Spending the points on a screen might work. I can only say "try it". Just remember that these days light armour=no armour.

Corai
01-04-2007, 14:49
Not sure of the basic strength for Pikemen (I'm assuming 3) so striking against ogres they are still only strength 3 as they are infantry, not monsters so will not grant +1 strength

Thanks
Corai

Stouty
01-04-2007, 15:11
My mistake, was thinking of the republican guard who hit on 3s and wound on 5s so it's almost as good.

Still, my point on ogres stands. They really don't like them. Give normal pikemen the warbanner to watch a truly impressive bounce.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-04-2007, 15:43
The problem with pikes is that they are only really good against light/medium infantry and cavalry that charge them in the front. Both heavy cavalry and heavy infantry give them trouble(even to the front), and if you outflank them they are gone.

So it really depends on where your playing. They can be good, but they are required to work closely with the rest of the list, and you need to be aware of there limitations. And don't expect them to actually stand up to a proper combat unit of heavy cavalry.

Parka boy
01-04-2007, 17:28
My first thought on pikes is why are they so crap my 2nd is why didn't they make it into the main rule book. I don't know what's worse a spear or a pike in warhammer?

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-04-2007, 19:31
I like the idea of pikes in a good strong infantry army. So if you do too, go for it.
Those pike rules are more realistic than I thought, reminds me of Rome total war. I always trounced them when they had loads of pikes, mainly because the computer was stupid and left there flanks open to a cavalry charge (deadly). but if I ever went equal sided front to front combat, they would win because they kept poking me before I could even get close enough to hit them. So keep them in the centre of your army.

BTW why aren't Mengil's Manflayers on the DoW GW site?

Galladorn
01-04-2007, 19:58
Listen, anyone who tells you not to use pikes in a DOW army is a fool. What other army out there has core infantry that practically negates cavalry, and scares the bejesus out of the enemy. If you want a Tilean mercenary army ( I also play one), 2-3 big blocks of pikemen, 25+ strong, each one supported by duelists to protect your flanks. Now you need a hammer to crush the enemy. Volands venators are great for this, as well as Ogres. Although generic heavy cavalry are also a great way to go.
Basically, the more the enemy shoots at your pikemen, the stronger your hammer will be when it charges home. The more the enemy goes after your hammer, the stronger your pikes will be.

Do not make the mistake of playing defensively with the pikemen. You WILL lose this way. Imagine running up with 3 units of pikemen, 30 strong, 2 units of duelists on either side of this formation to protect flanks and to take out small stuff. On your extreme flanks of the army are a unit of heavy cavalry, 10+ strong (10 strong for volands venators is good enough)
Advance, advance, advance, the enemy will not be able to stop everything

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-04-2007, 21:32
Listen, anyone who tells you not to use pikes in a DOW army is a fool. What other army out there has core infantry that practically negates cavalry, and scares the bejesus out of the enemy.

I thought we were talking about pikes?

Heavy cavalry, especially those with T4 and/or 1+ save isn't really all that intimidated by Pikes. They will most likely still run them down, and especially if there is a hero present.

Not that Pikes by default is bad, they are just not the anti-cavalry weapon you might have thought they are.

Pikes are very good in there niche, they just struggle outside of it, and they are fairly expensive for whats essentially a lightly armoured human.

But certainly try and see if you can get them to work for you if your interested in them. They can certainly work in your army if you design it with that in mind.

Malen Kharn
01-04-2007, 21:50
i have used merc pikes on a couple of occasions. Generally, they arn't the super unit that the rules would appear to make them. They are best used as a capable infantry (spearmen idealy) unit.

Crazy Harborc
02-04-2007, 01:58
I place my DoW pikes at my Empire armie's center. If my opponent provides a target unit to face off against....I'll do it instead.

With units of spears (with detachments of swordsmen) to either side, opponents often get all in a dither:D. Pikes striking first in round ones does seem to worry the heck out of my usual opponents:D .

Sanjuro
02-04-2007, 09:42
I'm one of those who play defensively with pikes and I have mixed success - lots of draws, a couple of losses and even a few wins. My experience has shown that you absolutely need to anchor their flanks. I like to use terrain to anchor one of their flanks and a block of 25 dwarfs to anchor the other. With the general giving Ld9 to the pike blocks and the Paymaster giving re-rolls to the whole infantry brigade they are somewhat adept at staying put.

However, versus shooty armies, pikes are pretty much zonked. They are, after all, T3 infantry that cost 11 pts each, and worse - each and every casualty decreases the effectiveness of that unit exponentially. Even a block of HE spearmen can suck up a few casualties before that happens to them (they are otherwise in the same seat as Pikemen, really expensive infantry that is really easy to kill). Last game vs. Empire, both of my 24 strong pike regiments were gone by the start of my 2nd turn (a couple of stragglers were all that was left). He had his entire infantry unscathed, so I conceded there and then. Not much point in playing on. :)

I'm unsure about the 'advance at all cost' tactic with Pikemen. I agree that the enemy probably cannot kill them all, but the risk is too great for me. I am a very cautious condottiere - I fear flanking too much! My standard tactic is, as I said, to anchor the flanks of my pikemen so that the only way the enemy can attack them is from the front. Normally, no enemy is crazy about doing that (since I have not yet met a single warhammer player who doesn't overestimate what pikemen can do in close combat) so my infantry occupies a 'forbidden zone' on the battlefield.

I also always deploy in a refused flank, with all my missile and artillery support and auxilliary units on the refused flank (apart from the units needed to protect the rear of my infantry). Usually, the enemy goes after these units. The plan is that it's hard to net enough VP by just going after my support (all the real points lies in my infantry) and so the enemy suffers a pyrrhic victory on this flank while my main line is more or less intact. This is sometimes enough to net me a draw, which is what I always play for with DoW. Playing for a win with infantry-based DoW is biting over more than you can chew, in my opinion, though it is of course always a bonus when you manage to eke out a victory.

Commissar Vaughn
02-04-2007, 11:21
I use mine offensivly, pikes levelled and marching across the board...this puts the enemy on the backfoot straight away and denies him space and time to manouver for a combat on his terms. This gives your pikes an advantage and ive often run even small units of pikes thru large amounts of enemy infnatry, taking on unit after unit and beating them one after the other.

Parka boy
02-04-2007, 12:54
I'm one of those who play defensively with pikes and I have mixed success - lots of draws, a couple of losses and even a few wins. My experience has shown that you absolutely need to anchor their flanks. I like to use terrain to anchor one of their flanks and a block of 25 dwarfs to anchor the other. With the general giving Ld9 to the pike blocks and the Paymaster giving re-rolls to the whole infantry brigade they are somewhat adept at staying put.

However, versus shooty armies, pikes are pretty much zonked. They are, after all, T3 infantry that cost 11 pts each, and worse - each and every casualty decreases the effectiveness of that unit exponentially. Even a block of HE spearmen can suck up a few casualties before that happens to them (they are otherwise in the same seat as Pikemen, really expensive infantry that is really easy to kill). Last game vs. Empire, both of my 24 strong pike regiments were gone by the start of my 2nd turn (a couple of stragglers were all that was left). He had his entire infantry unscathed, so I conceded there and then. Not much point in playing on. :)

I'm unsure about the 'advance at all cost' tactic with Pikemen. I agree that the enemy probably cannot kill them all, but the risk is too great for me. I am a very cautious condottiere - I fear flanking too much! My standard tactic is, as I said, to anchor the flanks of my pikemen so that the only way the enemy can attack them is from the front. Normally, no enemy is crazy about doing that (since I have not yet met a single warhammer player who doesn't overestimate what pikemen can do in close combat) so my infantry occupies a 'forbidden zone' on the battlefield.

I also always deploy in a refused flank, with all my missile and artillery support and auxilliary units on the refused flank (apart from the units needed to protect the rear of my infantry). Usually, the enemy goes after these units. The plan is that it's hard to net enough VP by just going after my support (all the real points lies in my infantry) and so the enemy suffers a pyrrhic victory on this flank while my main line is more or less intact. This is sometimes enough to net me a draw, which is what I always play for with DoW. Playing for a win with infantry-based DoW is biting over more than you can chew, in my opinion, though it is of course always a bonus when you manage to eke out a victory.

Good advice 11pts a str3 attack sure makes goblins look good and reminds me why I stopped using pikeman as 11pts is the same cost as a DoW light cavalryman who also comes with a str 3 attack.

I think the pikeman build has suffered quite badly under the new pistol rules my duelist now avoid H2H combat, but I have still found maneaters to be great flanker protectors.

Peril
02-04-2007, 18:26
Now you have hit on it! Pikemen force most units to try and go around them. Sure there are units that will still flatten them .. and those units will also flatten any other non-stubborn/unbreakable infantry so why is that a negative? You will have other ways of dealing with that (shooting, magic, Slayer Pirates). You can use the Pikes to beat down almost any other infantry of its points or less (except Dwarves), and since the BSB adds CR again, add the Paymaster for more fun! Then put something really gross on the flank like Golfgag, Maneaters or the Bearmen and then your opponent doesn't have any attractive options.

Bascially most naysayers will say the same things: They can be shot or magicked to death, and Chosen Chaos Knights of Khorne with the Khorne Chaos Lord will run them over. Again, of course this is true of any unit. Recognize them for what they are, and the inherent weaknesses that affect all infantry and you will be fine.

Parka boy
02-04-2007, 20:12
You can use the Pikes to beat down almost any other infantry of its points or less (except Dwarves)

I do believe your wrong I'd put 4 units of duelist with pistols up against 25 pikemen with full command any day.

Bloodknight
02-04-2007, 20:25
Many opponents just overestimate pikes, thatīs what makes them sort of worthwhile, as theyīre expensive and not very good fighters. 1+-Knights donīt really care and pikemen still lose badly against bretonnians. Their main anticav use lies in Silverhelms. Point for point pikemen lose against an equal amount of points of spearmen of any other race except Bretonnia - do the math :)

Reabe
02-04-2007, 20:46
Dogs of War used to be quite good before 7th edition. Most opponents weren't too sure about Duellists and Pikemen and found them scary. Duellists with Pistols could fight rather well, and Pikemen were rarely charged.
Now with 7th edition, pistols were nerfed, and, by some bizarre, truly unfair reason,Ogres don't count as monsters and/or Chariots, despite being damn near like them.

If you take pikes you're going to need a lot of them. 20 minimum. 5pt duellists can shield them.

thepaintingmonkey
03-04-2007, 10:11
I run a block of 20 in my list and im really REALLY not impressed with them. I dont believe its just the 'chosen unit of khorneflake doom' that can crush them. Against normal cavalry (5-7 in a unit, no heroes) they generally only win with ranks etc... Against normal T3 inf with Hw/sh they will just not kill enough. I think the problem comes down to the fact that they cost so much. Yes, they have a field day against goblins and skaven slaves. but come on, who doesnt? Silverhelms are about the only cavalry that suffer in my experience. really, 250pts for 20 with full com and heavy armour? Think of any other army's infantry block with full com for that price.
I agree with bloodknight that they have a certain psychological effect. But that trick only lasts until your opponent goes up against them once and then they learn.
Now I might have biased opinions because I only use 20. Personally i dont want to make more of the models! Try out big units. Maybe making them 30 strong works.
If you do take them I'd advise you see them as a support unit. Use them to hold a unit until your massive unit of cav with lord/paymaster/both can smash into them. Try putting a hero in the front. those extra 2 wounds he should do really make a difference.

Sanjuro
03-04-2007, 10:32
Then put something really gross on the flank like Golfgag, Maneaters or the Bearmen and then your opponent doesn't have any attractive options.

Of course they do. They have the option of charging that unit on the flank. :) If they are Bearmen or maneaters, they can't even run away!

Well, I jest - that is still a halfway effective tactic and about the only tactic us DoW infantry condottieries can use - skewer them on the pikes, hope they stick and shuffle some support into the flanks on the next round. I used to do countercharging with pistol-armed duellists, but since they got uber-nerfed (completely needlessly) that isn't as effective any more. I find myself using more and more heavy cavalry, however.

Bascially most naysayers will say the same things: They can be shot or magicked to death, and Chosen Chaos Knights of Khorne with the Khorne Chaos Lord will run them over. Again, of course this is true of any unit. Recognize them for what they are, and the inherent weaknesses that affect all infantry and you will be fine.

This is true - however, there is no doubt in my mind that pikemen need a 1-2 pts cost reduction. They should be about 9 pts, not about 11 pts.

One very sneaky tactic with pikes that I have started thinkin about recently is to use them in an empire army and put a warrior priest in the regiment. I've looked in the Annuals and can't find any rules that say you cannot do this. And when you do, you suddenly get to re-roll all those nice to hit-rolls which immediately makes pikes a more interesting option. I mean, 24 S3 attacks that strike first in the 1st round, even before chargers, and you get to re-roll them all? That's quite nice, actually. And the warrior priests can buff the regiments even more, making them unbreakable for instance, and carrying magic items not available to a DoW general such as the Sigil of Sigmar, Rod of Command, Shroud of Magnus, etc.

Bloodknight
03-04-2007, 10:37
A block of 30 will most certainly only be there to lose more points (did I mention I play 28 pikemen in 4 ranks?). Yes, the block can soak some wounds and will most likely outnumber, but it will still lose more often than not and is very expensive: 360 points with full command for 30 very average models.

edit: I am also in the 9 point camp.

Corrupt
03-04-2007, 11:32
250pts for 20 with full com and heavy armour? Think of any other army's infantry block with full com for that price.

High Elf Spearmen.
20 Spearelves, Full Command-250pts.
And we done have lots of funky cheap other options like duellists as infantry. We get 12 pt archers with no armour and 16pt Lothern Sea Guard (350pts for 20 with full command)

Bloodknight
03-04-2007, 11:53
HE Spearmen are better in combat than Pikemen for the same cost. But yes, HE are a bit on the bad side of infantry, too.

Sanjuro
03-04-2007, 16:30
Corrupt: you hit the nail on the head there, Pikemen suffer from the exact same problem as HE infantry - too expensive for what they can do.

Parka boy
03-04-2007, 18:07
One very sneaky tactic with pikes that I have started thinkin about recently is to use them in an empire army and put a warrior priest in the regiment. I've looked in the Annuals and can't find any rules that say you cannot do this. And when you do, you suddenly get to re-roll all those nice to hit-rolls which immediately makes pikes a more interesting option. I mean, 24 S3 attacks that strike first in the 1st round, even before chargers, and you get to re-roll them all? That's quite nice, actually. And the warrior priests can buff the regiments even more, making them unbreakable for instance, and carrying magic items not available to a DoW general such as the Sigil of Sigmar, Rod of Command, Shroud of Magnus, etc.

There is a rule somewhere that sez only DoW characters can join DoW units.

gorenut
03-04-2007, 18:36
So what would you guys use instead of pikes as core infantry? I suppose Dwarven infantry would fit the bill to be anvils, only thing is that they take precious special slot.

Parka boy
03-04-2007, 19:03
I use 18 to 24 pirate slayers. The unit is quite costly but they will never run away or be that bothered by a flank charge making it the perfect anchor unit. I really don't think much of the other dwarven infantry available to DoW as a special slot not with all those lovely norsemen and orges.

Sanjuro
03-04-2007, 19:50
There is a rule somewhere that sez only DoW characters can join DoW units.

Where is that rule?

Peril
03-04-2007, 19:57
If I were to use a unit of Pike, I would run 7x4 with no armor upgrade. I would give them a Standard and Musician. That's 28 attacks against any unit coming in the front (even against 5 wide small base you get 5+corners), and full rank, banner and outnumber. It costs the same as 20 Black Orcs with command. The Pikes will consistantly win that fight.

Parka boy
03-04-2007, 20:01
I'll have a look for you but I'm almost certain its there the rules for DoW being so bloody old it could be anywhere. Anyways it matters not for Empire as they no longer can take DoW.

The armour upgrade is a must at only 1pt a 5+ save will save 1 in 3 men and is twice as good as a 6+ save :)

lilljonas
03-04-2007, 20:06
I'll have a look for you but I'm almost certain its there the rules for DoW being so bloody old it could be anywhere. Anyways it matters not for Empire as they no longer can take DoW.

Empire can take DoW. O&G can take DoW. The reason it's not in the lists is that the DoW list itself allows it, and the designers are contemplating remaking the DoW rules sometimes in the future. That's why they want to have the DoW rules separate, and no rules in the other army lists. The DoW list is still valid, and the DoW list says Empire can take DoW.

Parka boy
03-04-2007, 21:08
Good point lilljonas they can take from the RoR units as stated in their rules but its really fuzzy about units from vanilla DoW list as its still set in "included in your army list as a rare choice" which is no longer there.

And I'd never say that using a DoW choice is ever that valid outside of a DoW list :P.

Sanjuro
03-04-2007, 21:16

It's not in the latest Chronicles (2004) and it's not in the 7th edition rulebook, not anywhere I can find it at least (i.e. not in any logical place).

The way I see it, there's really nothing against this. And Empire can indeed field vanilla DoW units. Here's the relevant quote from the DoW army list: "Empire [list of other armies] can field any unit from the Dogs of War army list." (Chronicles 2004, page 57.)

The way I see it, there's nothing to prompt you to handle DoW units differently from other units in regards to characters. This might create issues with, for example, Chaos characters, but it does not create issues with Empire characters. Or if it does, at least I cannot see it.

lilljonas
03-04-2007, 21:44
No, Perka Boy. First of all, it says "in general". "In general" means "usually". But that point could be argued. But, as you asked sanjuro to do, let's post the entire rule.

"In general, they are included in the lists as a Rare choice.

In addition, the following restrictions apply: Empire, any Chaos, Dark Elves, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Khemri, Dwarfs, and Lizardmen armies can field any unit from the Dogs of War army list." (my own emphasis). I don't see how that can be misinterpreted.

The reason for them not to be listed as a Rare in the book is because they want to keep the door open to rearrange the DoW rules sometimes down the road before the next generation of Army Books. When the new DoW list arrives, you can disregard this post. When there's official rulings that the old DoW lists are invalid, you can disregard this post. Until then, however, Empire players are free to field pikemen and other DoW units as rare choises.

Sanjuro
03-04-2007, 21:47
Please your just making things up now you blagger why didn't you finish the sentence

Pardon?

First off, what's with the name-calling? I've been only civil to you, and I take offense at being called a 'blagger', whatever that is. I'd appreciate it if you could be civil in return.

The sentence I quoted doesn't end with "In general, they are included in the lists as a Rare Choise", that part comes earlier on.

Key part here being the words in general, and army list tradition. The DoW entry in the Rare section of the army books were removed for one reason: developers want to have the option to write a DoW army book of their own, which will itself include all the rules for using DoW units in other armies. They are, in effect, tidying up the army books for future projects. Until then, I can see no reason to change they way we have been using DoW units for years.

Strictly legal in a by-the-letter-of-the-law sense? No. Then again, the entire DoW army list is located in an obsolete supplement. By the strict wording of the rules, no such army does exist.

And yet, it does. It continues to exist only thanks to the goodwill and sense of honour among a group of people who love the game, not the letter of the law.

DoW is for idealists, mate. Idealists and enthusiasts. Cynics and pessimists need not apply, the exit is right over there. Now, pass the grappa!

Sanjuro
03-04-2007, 21:48
Q. Can Regiments of Renown or Dogs of War units be joined by non-Dogs
of War Characters?

A. No.
S. Anthony Reynolds - Warhammer Design Team

Ah, thank you! A kind and civil response, which was edited in after I had typed out my previous post, which I will let stand for various reasons.

Where did you find this gem? Is it in an online FAQ? If so, would you kindly link to it?

Bloodknight
04-04-2007, 00:30
I knew I had seen that before. I think itīs from the FAQ on the now dead GW forums.

And here one for the "O&G and Empire canīt take DoW"-faction: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301082&orignav=13

spacedwarv
04-04-2007, 02:32
Pikes look alot better than they are and many people quite overestimate them which can be a very good thing. I usually field them regardless because I just like the concept of a 20ft long piece of metal stabbing the enemy. =)[dice0]

darknuke
04-04-2007, 04:56
pikes are awsome i have lots in my army and
i never lose:evilgrin:

Az_Barag
04-04-2007, 06:43
I love pikes, they rock against armies such as brets and other cavalry heavy armies, just protect the flanks with swordsmen or other no pike infantry and you will be fine. Also you could use the rules for pisaros lost legion, the whole front rank of crossbowmen is good as anything that is shooting youwill get shot back at and you can stand and shoot as a charge reaction. Also isnt there a rule stating that your pike grant an extra 1 plus armour save due to arrows rebounding off the pikes? or is that me remember ing history classes??

Az

Art
04-04-2007, 19:38
Az_Barag it sounds as if you have never played brets if you think that pikes are any good vs them. Sorry but most of what you have said doesn't hold any water the lost legion are a nice idea but don't work and you seem to be getting WFB mixed up with WAB with the extra pip of armour save thingy.

Parka boy
04-04-2007, 23:23
Sanjuro calling you a blagger wasn't meant to be insulting rather a description of what you were intending to do with pikemen. Blagging, is a very common term used within my gaming circles I'm sorry if I caused you any distress and I would have said it sooner but my 24 ban was just lifted.

Az_Barag pikeman fall to pieces vs brets only slightly slower than ogres and thats only because ogres move faster.

Bloodknight
04-04-2007, 23:26
So whatīs a blagger anyway? I am always keen on learning new swear words ^^.

Angry Lawyer
04-04-2007, 23:30
"Blagger" isn't really a swearword. It's more a synonym for "a teller of tall tales" or "One who exaggerates" or something. It's quite close in meaning to "Bluffer".

Pikes win due to the psychological factor. People don't see them often, therefore fear them.

-Angry Lawyer

Crazy Harborc
05-04-2007, 03:05
Well.....now my regular opponents are used to pikes....They use them (or have) too.

Between playing (using pikes) WHFB and WAB (several periods), the weak points and strong points stand out. Good and bad, IMHO.

I say IF you like them and enjoy using them.....do it. A good part of wargaming (for many of us lifer gamers) is because of the minies we like and use.