PDA

View Full Version : Vampire count theem. (help me make up my mind.)

HiveTrygon
02-04-2007, 16:54
I'm decideing to try fantasy out for a second time. I lost interest and sold off all my stuff but wanted something slightly different than any of my 40K armies. I play Tau, Chaos undivided, necrons, dark angels, tyranids, and witch hunters. I started thinking I'd love to do undead. They were allways my favorite, even over chaos, in fantasy so I want to go back to my roots.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide upon a theem to convert my troops over into. I want it to appear the vampire count raised a recently killed army he fought. I'd like to do something slightly different though, sooo here were my ideas.

Orc VC, convert skelletons with orc skulls, zombies could be from orc sprues I guess. The thing with this is that the orc skelletons are all that appeals to me. Zombie orcs don't do it for me and they are not going to mix well with zombies from the plastic sprue.

Next idea was chaos VC. I could make some warriors with skelleton heads into grave guard and take marauders mixed with zombies to make some very cool units. Swap out some chaos weapons with skelletons and get a little chaos feel going as well. The Chaos knights could be black knights and I could use a chariot with a wraith and casket as the black coach. Seems a step in the right direction.

I also thought, cool to have an empire army. I like the models and well mixing them with VC is a very simple army. I could easily go this route.

Pirates and VC. My favorite idea would be to convert over a bunch of pirates. Thing is I'm not 100% sure what to do to make a few different units. Zombies mixed with milita are a very quick and pirate like look but what to do with skelletons. I could sculpt hats, easy enough but what about grave guard and black knights. I could dress the grave guard up as fully clothed pirates sure but black knights are probably not going to be in a pirate raid. Then again what about ghouls or other stuff. The pirates seem to limit me to zombies, skelletons, grave guard, and spirit hosts.

So, you see my problems, which theem would you rather see me do. I'm leaning toward the pirates but not sure how they are going to work out on the field as all foot slogging troops. Any suggestions on other types of units, thanks in advance.

Lander
02-04-2007, 17:07
Hurugh....lets see.....

Check this link for a pick of a VC force thats Orc themed...

http://www.dragon-slayers.org.uk/galleries/wfb_goran_farm_vampire_counts_orcs_of_sylvania_ima ges.shtml

The Pirate thing would be cool...they had some Zombie Pirates inthe Lustria series. Personally I think an Undead Dwarf VC army would be awesome, but a challanging task in a way.

HiveTrygon
02-04-2007, 18:16
Thanks for the link. Dwarfs would be very coo now that you mention it. I could get almost everyting converted from plastics as well. Sculpt beards on zombie heads, skelleton heads, just swap them onto dwarf bodies.

Skelletons=dwarf warriors with beards. zombies=dwarf warriors with zombie heads and beards. grave guard=dwarf miners. Hummm.... now you have me thinking of another thing. I wonder if I should just combine them all into a rag tag, he's dead, your dead, their dead, everyone is dead army.

xiau
03-04-2007, 20:17
Only problem i could think with a VC themed Dwarf army, is the size of the models, normal skellies would stand higher than a stinty Dwarf, so that may cause a slight hitch.

Felworth
03-04-2007, 22:21
Eh, when I get the financial resources together I figure I'll purchase a box of zombies, skellies, state troops, chaos warriors, Orcs mayhaps and anything else I find.

I figure Necromancers aren't terribly picky about what serves them and undead Orcs won't mind shambling shoulder to shoulder with human zombies.

Ooh, graveguard made up of undead chaos warriors, black orcs and dwarves. That would be worth a try, if a bit expensive.

HiveTrygon
03-04-2007, 23:16
Eh, when I get the financial resources together I figure I'll purchase a box of zombies, skellies, state troops, chaos warriors, Orcs mayhaps and anything else I find.

I figure Necromancers aren't terribly picky about what serves them and undead Orcs won't mind shambling shoulder to shoulder with human zombies.

Ooh, graveguard made up of undead chaos warriors, black orcs and dwarves. That would be worth a try, if a bit expensive.

I was thinking the same thing, yet I'm not sure if it would look to mixed up with such variation in size. So I figure I would try and keep certain units together. I was going to originaly do brettonians as black knights, chaos warriors as grave guard, militia as zombies, dwarfs as spirit hosts, orc skellons mixed with human ones. I figure these mixed in this range would keep the units uniform and hopefully make the army unified when painted. As for bansee I'd probably just use the model made for it. I'm starting to think I may be better off waiting for the new models down the road. I don't play fantasy as yet anyway.

lokigod
03-04-2007, 23:27
Im building this same army for my son his first :)

here are some of the parts im using

silver helm box/ empire knights box + spider riders+ tomb king horse man box = cool looking undead black knights

HE spearman/ Dark elf spear man/ Night goblins/ empire milita/wood elf/chaos warriors + zombie and skeleton sprues :)

Anyway I just bought alot of extra models off club mates and bought a few boxes now I have enough for like 100 skell and zombies :), and its really fun army to convert :)

Also look at cursed company dow for premade dwarf and orc skells

HiveTrygon
03-04-2007, 23:50
Im building this same army for my son his first :)

here are some of the parts im using

silver helm box/ empire knights box + spider riders+ tomb king horse man box = cool looking undead black knights

HE spearman/ Dark elf spear man/ Night goblins/ empire milita/wood elf/chaos warriors + zombie and skeleton sprues :)

Anyway I just bought alot of extra models off club mates and bought a few boxes now I have enough for like 100 skell and zombies :), and its really fun army to convert :)

Also look at cursed company dow for premade dwarf and orc skells

Are you mixing those or using parts from each of those kits for a unit? That sounds crazy. I'd love to use night goblin for skelletons now that you mention it. I could cut out the goblin heads and have loads of skelletons with hoods, like units of wraiths.

Voltaire
04-04-2007, 18:04
I'm doing the Chaos VC theme for my next army :-)

Lander
05-04-2007, 02:23
Painting red eyes and black/grey skin is a good Idea for undead dwarfs as well as throwing in zombie/skele Bits....as far as the all mix thing just keep you bases to size.

benccowan
15-04-2007, 21:08
because im a hoarde type of guy i say just cut up your models

Goldenwolf
15-04-2007, 21:10
I always liked the mixing of the Dark Elf Warriors with Skeletons, and Empire Militia with Zombies.

somebody
15-04-2007, 22:14
I'm *still* in the process of making an undead Warhammer World VC army (these photos are three years old). Hope that since I'm getting back to WH I'll finish painting it soon.
For fell bats I used Bretonian pegasus and have Dwarf/skaven things as ghouls (when a dwarf doesn't take care of his beard you know he has left himself go).
For grave guard I mixed a box of Dark Elf warriors with skellies. For wolfs I want to use chaos hounds and I'm still deciding which cool minis I'll use for spirit hosts and the Banshee. I think a Khemri chariot could do nicely as a Black coach.
I would have liked to have used the new Bretonian knights instead of Imperial, but they didnít exist when I started converting. Undead Lizardmen on cold ones could look very cool if done right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0041.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0096.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0098.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0046.jpg

Other units:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0046.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0048.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0047.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0044.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0039.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Dospatitos/DSCN0050.jpg

HiveTrygon
15-04-2007, 22:33
The pegasus knights are brilliant as fell bats. I would have never guessed to do that. I would however think adding some skelletal parts might make them slightly less horse like. I'd probably also add a dark familar riding them instead. Thanks for the idea! :D

Tamlin
18-04-2007, 08:43
I was inspired by an article on a Zombie Pirate army that appeared in White Dwarf a while back. The rules for the army weren't to my liking but the pictures were fantastic. So I decided to do a Ghost Pirate army based on The Secret of Monkey Island that counted as Vampire Counts.

My Skeletons are ghostly green Zombie Pirates. I bought 3 bags of Zombie Pirates but you could get the same effect by mixing a box of Empire Militia with a Zombie box. For shields, I used the round wooden shields that Skaven troops use.

My Ghouls are Monkeys. There are two monkey like Familiars and the new
Empire State Handgunners have Powder Monkeys. eBay also has Monkey in Fez Swizzle Sticks that look like they're the right scale if you want more variation. Gnobblars, Forest Goblins, or Amazons could also be used as Ghouls/Headhunters.

My Dire Wolves (Dire Monkeys) are plastic Cocktail Monkeys glued to solid Cavalry Bases.

My Zombies (Land Lubbers) are shieldless Skeletons. Yes, I've switched Zombies for Skeletons and vice versa since I find the Zombies have more character. I point this out when I field them.

My Grave Guard is more Zombie Pirates armed with pistols and painted ghostly blue. They're using the shields that came in the Skeleton box.

My Fell Bats (Fell Parrots) are Lego Parrots painted ghostly blue and glued to tombstones, a palm tree, a parrot stand... I used one Parrot per base and two would look better but I didn't want to confuse people since I may want to include some Parrot Swarms someday.

My Black Knights are the new Empire Pistoliers. The horses are ghostly green while the 'pirates' are ghostly blue with skull and zombie heads. Their powder is wet so their pistols behave like lances.

My Banshees are a regular Banshee 'bride' and a fancy looking pirate 'groom'. Both are painted with ghostly green faces and hands with ghostly blue outfits.

My heroes are more solid looking since they're the ones that summoned up the rest of the army. The Lahmian vampire with snake is a Voodoo Lady (Necromancer). A pointing gnobblar with a zombie head reading a huge book and a zombie pirate holding a pitchfork are Voodoo Priests (Necromancers). A pistol packin' pirate is a Wight Lord or Vampire.

For Spirit Hosts, I'm planning on using ship's rats, Tiki shields, Tiki poles, gibbets, skull poles, skeletons dangling from poles... You know, stuff that would scare a ghost pirate.

A stage coach would make an excellent Black Coach. Just watch Cutthroat Island to see what pirates do with coaches.

So a piratey VC army can be done. If you don't have an aversion to non GW figures, Reaper Miniatures has a line of Skeleton Pirates called Razig's Revenge.

HiveTrygon
18-04-2007, 22:52
Thanks for the tip on Razig's Revenge. I'm going to look for them now. I'm thinking of using my confontation undead horde which is huge, right now for a stand in until the new models are released. If these Razig's Revenge are cool I might use them as well.

nanktank
19-04-2007, 05:13
Hurugh....lets see.....

Check this link for a pick of a VC force thats Orc themed...

http://www.dragon-slayers.org.uk/galleries/wfb_goran_farm_vampire_counts_orcs_of_sylvania_ima ges.shtml

That has got to be the funniest thing I have seen in ages, I love it, especially the banshee.

Back on topic you seem to be very interested in the VC Pirates so I would head in that direction

HiveTrygon
20-04-2007, 00:35
I love the pirate list even more than the vampire count list but hate the fact you have to take the vampire charecter and can not use necromancy spells to raise more dead. I'm fond of the dead rising theem as well. I guess I could make a load of zombies and skip the skelletons leaving them for the grave guard spots.