PDA

View Full Version : Why the wait?

IronSailor
03-04-2007, 09:56
I can't remember a time in the last three years where we didn't know which exactly which one was going to be the next army.

For instance with 40K there was SM, Tyranids, BT, Tau, Eldar and most recently DA and we all new which one was coming next. Now we haven't heard anything confirmed and the rumours say Choas or Orks.

Likewise with WHF there was the release of OK, WE, Dwarfs, O&G and finally Empire. HE are rumoured to be the next release with sources saying they aren't out until the end of the year.

Why is there such a wait for a new army this year? Is there some radical shakeup going on within GW… Have they moved some armies forward that weren’t going to be released in the foreseeable future?

Dspankdo
03-04-2007, 10:11
The next release will be chaos, then another big release then orks. The next Fantasy army hasn't been confirmed cause it's not happening for about 6 months.

Jedi152
03-04-2007, 10:19
The fantasy campaign, the Nemesis Crown, will be taking up a fantasy 'slot' this summer.

So the current release schedule is: Dark Angels, Nemesis Crown, 40k release, High Elves.

IronSailor
03-04-2007, 18:30
I just think it's a bit daft to wait until the autumn to release a new series of miniatures. I was wondering if there was a reason for no scheduled release of a new army until September/October? It's only just April - that's almost half a year!

lord_blackfang
03-04-2007, 18:43
The fantasy terrain would take a "miniature release slot", don't you think? Plus there's some more Orc, Dwarf and Empire stuff on the way.

The game is afoot
03-04-2007, 18:56
The slow release schedule is not doing GW any favours on the retail front.
So little new material in the stores means less and less reason to frequent them.
Who wants to see the same old stuff on the shelf week after week.
I agree with what some other posters have been voicing in that GW would be doing it's retail branch a real favour by selling a grewater diversity of gaming products from other companies as well.
More variety means a variety of more customers.

NakedFisherman
03-04-2007, 18:59
I just think it's a bit daft to wait until the autumn to release a new series of miniatures.

You're absolutely right. It is daft. But GW's business plans are often daft, so it fits well.

That doesn't stop the incredible daftness from being excusable, though. 'Hey, here's a bunch of crap that we repackaged and the new releases are for armies that have recently got a shedload of new models that you're still busy painting and assembling!'

Meanwhile Vampire Counts and Skaven have had the same crappy basic models for over a farking decade.

The boyz
03-04-2007, 19:02
The slow release schedule and the constant rescheduling of future releases is kind of annoying. I was looking forward to VC coming out this year, but now I have to wait until sometime in 2008.

The game is afoot
03-04-2007, 19:07
Point in case.
This kind of sloooooow delivery schedule is not doing them any favours.
It's a dinosaur in the Internet age.

sheck2
03-04-2007, 22:01
I do not disagree with their slow army/update release schedule...

However - they are releasing a lot of stuff this summer.

In May - LOTR is getting 11 releases, Fantasy is getting 6 releases and the foundation paint line...

In June - Fantasy is getting 8 releases and 12 terrain releases...

Now - some of these are re-packages, but overall this year has been pretty good for new product.

The issue IMO is that they tend to release a whole bunch for a particular army meaning if you do not play that army - your 'wait' time for new product can be years. This summer, because of the NCC, has releases for multiple armies - this is excellent, but can they keep that up?

NakedFisherman
04-04-2007, 00:21
This summer, because of the NCC, has releases for multiple armies - this is excellent, but can they keep that up?

No, Medusa V had releases for multiple armies. Nemesis Crown has releases for three armies, and most are just repackages. What a crock.

JT-Y
04-04-2007, 00:47
He's right, it is a crock.

Also, and I know I'm not the only person who thinks this, but why release a shiny new edition of WFB (personal oppinions of that notwithstanding) and then proceed to release bugger all in the way of army books for a full year?

A campaign book and mighty empires rehash don't really cut it when there are several books which need updates now and new miniatures, because, lets face it, some of the existing models have grown mould whilst sitting on the shelves.

Terrain is nice, as is paint, for those who want it. But rereleasing existing battalions so as to creep in another price rise can't really be counted, can it?

spacedwarv
04-04-2007, 01:30
The problem is is that with years of mismanagment (random price hikes so Kirby can go home with 1million quid anyone?) is fianlly catching up with them. They just need a plain resturctering from the top down.

NakedFisherman
04-04-2007, 03:26
Also, and I know I'm not the only person who thinks this, but why release a shiny new edition of WFB...and then proceed to release bugger all in the way of army books for a full year?

That's something I was thinking of, too. Look at the Vampire Counts range.

But hey! New buildings! And plastic tiles for campaigns that get released after the worldwide campaign already started!

I reminds me of glaring plot holes and silly situations in movies. I just think to myself 'how could they not see how ridiculous that is?'

Light of the Emperor
04-04-2007, 05:16
I too am baffled by the lack of credible evidence of upcoming armies. Orks were supposedly next and rumors of Apocalypse were abound too. Now there's supposedly chaos next?

There wasn't much in terms of fantasy during CoD so I guess it'll be the same in this case.

verydarkshadow
04-04-2007, 05:26
Well, to be honest, I think we're about to see all this change (starting in the fall).

I'm really looking foreward to the fantasy terrain, but as for the new orc, dwarf and empire minatures, I agree there are other armies that need new models much more.

Still, I think a lot of this years products are dictated by their awefull salses in the last half of 2006. Though how plastic trees and buildings will really help that is beyond me...

scarletsquig
04-04-2007, 07:18
I'm really surprised they're not bringing out a new 40k army for the summer holidays.

Kids are off school, loads of free time, they like 40k, parents will want to get them out of the house rather than sitting in front of the computer... dammit GW, throw them a bone!

leonmallett
04-04-2007, 08:39
Guys - people are upset about the slow release schedule? They can't do too much too soon or else releases will get lost. They are also balancing releases for 3 game systems.

And regarding the rescheduling? I love rumours but that is all they are. Until things are confirmed they are not really 'rescheduled', are they?

If an announcement is made and then reneged on (remember the bunker/dug-out trench piece? that was never released despite being in WD), then we have cause to be upset.

t-tauri
04-04-2007, 08:52
If an announcement is made and then reneged on (remember the bunker/dug-out trench piece? that was never released despite being in WD), then we have cause to be upset.That was binned as it didn't reach GW standards. I picked one up at Games Day and I have to agree that it was extremely poor piece of vac moulded tat. I'm happy for them to use quality control for once.

We're just seeing a couple of factors playing out I feel. One is to tighten up rumour release so new stuff is still a surprise and not dent the sales of armies due for replacement. The other is that in the current GW financial situation they're making changes to the schedules to maximise profitability-easy fixes to codexes/army books they can sell lots of new miniatures for. For 40k things like plastic vindicators and chaos terminators have been ready for a long time they're just waiting for a suitable codex to push the sales.