PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Legion Cultist Question

BloodOrkClanBoss
04-04-2007, 16:46
If I made an Alpha Legion list, what could I use for cultists?

I would like to use the new Ork Kommandos I have as cultists for it, but my friends tell me it's not very fluffy. Though Blood Axes have been known to hire out and it represents an aliance between Alpha Legion and that particular squad(s) of Blood Axe Kommandos at the time. They are armed correctly with Hand weapon and pistol.

Any thoughts on this?

Thommy H
04-04-2007, 16:55
Orks 'counting as' humans isn't very WYSIWYG, to be honest. You'd be better off using LatD rules for mutants to represent Ork allies I think.

As to what you could use: converted guardsmen, Necromunda models (House Cawdor or Redemptionists would look good), old Chaos Cultists from e-bay, Mordheim possessed warbands, WHFB flaggelants...probably lots more I haven't thought of...

pookie
04-04-2007, 16:58
the problem you have is that Cultists are not 'hired' like you mean, they are a group dedicated to a cause, Blood Axes would hire them selves out yes, but this doesnt make them a cultists. ( why not use them as allies instead?)

BloodOrkClanBoss
04-04-2007, 17:02
I was trying to stay with one army list and used figures I liked instead of having to rely on converted Imperial Guardsman to serve my needs.

This definitely makes it easier to chose what army Im going to do next between Alpha Legion and Blood Ravens. I really don't want to paint 30 human cultists.

The idea is for an all infiltrating list, which is my prefered tactic. (being all sneaky like) Blood Ravens and Alpha Legion stood out with fluff as being that way, Ravens with magic, Alpha Legion with tactics.

Darkhorse
04-04-2007, 17:10
My own, cultist hordes are Sisters Redemptia, Mordheim Possessed Bretheren and the Cultists from MO (in the collector's guide).
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060108059&orignav=10
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99111101001&orignav=300808
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301182&orignav=301117
I also have a few fantasy sigmarite priests and Necromundan Redemptionists mixed in.

Hicks
04-04-2007, 17:14
Indeed, that would be against the WYSIWYG rules. I'm not against "count as" when it comes to wargear or something that can be easily explainable (like a huge sword counting has a power fist), but chaotic orks working for the AL is IMO terribly unlikely.

Marshal Augustine
04-04-2007, 17:32
ig just use guardsmen, poor fools.

BloodOrkClanBoss
04-04-2007, 17:34
Sisters Redemptia? Possessed Brethren?...
they don't have pistols...
they aren't WYSIWYG everyone screams!

What's acceptable and not acceptable then?
No Orks for Cultists...
But it's ok to represent pistol and sword with sword?

I know there is a Grot army running around using Imperial Guard rules. Is that acceptable?

(not trying to fight, Im ok with the general consensus, but Im trying to figure out where the line is drawn? I should mention I would never compete in a GW tournament. That's not my style.

loveless
04-04-2007, 17:40
Typically, you just add on a holster - voila, instant pistol on a fantasy model

Karmoon
04-04-2007, 17:44
Surely you gentlemen are aware of the incredible quality militia parts from forgeworld?

Expensive but tasty - like many things in the world.

Otherwise, i'd recommend mixing cadian, catachan, and imperial scout parts together :)

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Darkhorse
04-04-2007, 17:47
Haven't you ever done a conversion before?
Generally the questions my lot get are:
1) How many are there?
Answer; 60 in 3 covens of 20.
2) Do they have strength 4 on the charge?
Answer; Yes with furious charge.
3) Are you sure they're fearless?
Answer; Yes, with MoCU and free Icon.

Culven
04-04-2007, 18:02
why not use them as allies instead?
FYI, there are no rules that allow any army to use Orks as Allies.

BloodOrkClanBoss
04-04-2007, 18:05
Yes I have done a conversion before, Im just not looking for a Hordes army and I was hoping to get away with using my current Ork horde army as cultists instead. (Didnt want to paint all those humans)

Thanks for the help, it looks like I will do Blood Ravens instead.

Eetion
04-04-2007, 18:09
Well, its easy enough to use a mix of Catachans and Marauders for a decent looking Cultist.....Or you could use the FW bits if you have the cash.
Check out the Link in my sig for All your Alpha Legion needs, Conversions, Paint schemes etc, Converting and painting cultists isnt as tedious as you would think.

Lord Balian
04-04-2007, 19:07
Cultists traditionally are chaos zealots that are just basic humans, like IG. Although I have a Fallen Angels army using Alpha Legion rules where they are "hired mercs" rather then cultists.

What I use for my cultists to make them look humans with guns, are Empire Militiamen. I bought a bunch of pistols and modded them on. But Chaos Marauders would work also.