PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer World - Bugman's Bar

Reabe
04-04-2007, 19:51
Hey, just a couple of questions of your opinion of Bugman's Bar:

1. Is the food good?
2. Is the drink good?
3. Is it open this Friday?
4. How are the prices? Are we talking reasonable or typical GW prices?

Thanks.

Tyron
04-04-2007, 19:53
Food and drink is poor, and over priced - kinda like GW as a whole.

leonmallett
04-04-2007, 19:57
Nice place to spend a saturday night during a tournament to my mind.

Dat Wildboy
04-04-2007, 20:03
yeah, i've wondered what Reabe is asking too. i intend to go on a pilgrimage there sometime in the autumn when i've learnt to drive.

do they sell alcohol there? beer and that? it can't be called Bugman's without beer!

JT-Y
04-04-2007, 20:06
Needs a good manager, too much of a missed oportunity at present, I reckon (talk about potential for an uber-theme pub)...

Beer is average, as is the food.

Crube
04-04-2007, 20:07
Hey, just a couple of questions of your opinion of Bugman's Bar:

1. Is the food good?
2. Is the drink good?

Thanks.

1. Not particularly - think of a kebab. Not the greatest thing in the world, but after a few beers, it's the dogs...

2. As any normal pub really. The Bugman's real ale stuff is average at best, but otherwise, you get your standard pub drinks

3. Quite probably. If there's no event on though, it may only open til 8 or 9pm.

4. Not typical GW, but not cheap - again, I would put it on a par with Nottingham city centre pubs (not clubs) in general

The thing to bear in mind with Bugmans is that most people go there for the place not the food or drink. If you've had a couple of games, then its a good place to have a couple of beers or cokes or whatever afterwards.

I agree that it could be someting really special though

Chaos and Evil
04-04-2007, 20:52
I reccomend you avoid the Burger... one of the worst I've tasted, sorry to say but they're sub-Mc'Donalds.

DonkeyMan
04-04-2007, 20:59
I reccomend you avoid the Burger... one of the worst I've tasted, sorry to say but they're sub-Mc'Donalds.
O.O Now that's bad!

1. Not particularly - think of a kebab. Not the greatest thing in the world, but after a few beers, it's the dogs...
Kebap is actually really nice food if proper made. I haven't seen any proper Kebap in the UK or Ireland so far though (not saying that there is no such place)

spikydavid
04-04-2007, 23:05
1. No

2. Yes - though the choice isn't great

3. Dunno

4. Prices are pretty reasonable - but then I spend a lot of time drinking in London, so others may have a different opinion

Light of the Emperor
04-04-2007, 23:36
When was there, I actually got a Cola with ice! I found that most drinks aren't kept at really cool temperatures over there in the UK...at least while I was there.

Remember to pick up the special edition Bugman model!

75hastings69
05-04-2007, 00:27

I concur, I had a burger there and it was god awful, as were the chips! Beer was ok, but I was happy just to be there and the mrs quite liked it. I saw them advertising for a chef a while back and I thought to myself that they needed all the help they could get!

I agree with the posters who say it isn't fulfilling its potential, it could be a great bar, the decor is great the location is also good, but it just doesn't seem to strive to achieve anything. Oh and the occasional smile wouldn't go amiss from the staff, although seeing the salary they wanted a chef for I wouldn't be smiling either!

The menu has so much potential, it is a Warhammer themed pub, but the menu is just plain (i.e. burger and chips) they could at least use a bit of imagination and call them "squig burgers", or have a "Goblins platter" (stuffed mushrooms for you veggie types!), "Fishman fritters", or "Khorne Kurry" (Thai Red Curry) or something!!

Crazy Harborc
05-04-2007, 02:46
HI THERE.....Um...speaking as a yank (with humor in my heart and thoughts). Honest;)

A bar/pub....with food....named Bugman's Bar....that is designed to attract gamers.

Beer, lots of beer....with poor food (leftovers for throwing):evilgrin:?? Sells at least one minie.

WAIT a minute....ice in a cola.....In the UK!!!:eek: ???

Okay heckling over. I am sorry for the above....TOO many beers yeah know:D

Jedi152
05-04-2007, 08:50
Let's not beat around the bush, i've been there a lot. I've been going since the shop was the small black entrance hall downstairs.

The food is changeable. Very changeable. When ms. Jedi used to work weekends, she used to pick me up at lunch in the week, and we'd eat there. Sometimes you get really good food, and some days you inexplicably get duff food. She used to have a salad that came in a massive bowl, with ciabatta croutons and ceasar (sp?) dressing, and she loved it. I'm a fan of the zinger chicken burger on a ciabatta roll with bacon and cheese.

They used to do the 'Fat Bloke Special' (yes, that's officially what it was called) - officially the best burger known to man or beast. 2 quarter pound burgers, each with cheese and bacon stacked up, with onion rings on top. They helped make me the man i am today!

Remember that you can't compare tournament food to the normal food - at tourneys they just basically give you the crap they serve the staff.

The drink is typical pub fare, John Smiths, Carling etc. but Bugmans XXXXXX is good.

The prices are pretty reasonable. Typical pub food prices really.

The menu has so much potential, it is a Warhammer themed pub, but the menu is just plain (i.e. burger and chips) they could at least use a bit of imagination and call them "squig burgers", or have a "Goblins platter" (stuffed mushrooms for you veggie types!), "Fishman fritters", or "Khorne Kurry" (Thai Red Curry) or something!!
They did used to have themed food - warhawk burgers etc a plenty, but they stopped it. Not idea why.

Have you never been Reabe? You live in Nottingham! You should go, even if you just test it and report back to us!

Gaebriel
05-04-2007, 09:14
Have you never been Reabe? You live in Nottingham! You should go, even if you just test it and report back to us!
A least now you know it's secure ;)

If I ever visit Nottingham (more out of other historical interest than for Warhammer World), I would surely go to Bugman's - I mean, being able to say one downed a pint at Bugman's is worth it.

So I think it's for novelty value and mostly interesting for visitors, when the food is that mediocre. Though interesting that as with everything else, GW seems to save on staff...

Osbad
05-04-2007, 13:16
I've eaten at Bugmans a few times over the years. Perhaps not enough to be representative. Each time though I had a standard Burger and Chips, and I noticed a quality drop off over time. First couple of times they were just fine. Last couple of times the bun was dry, they burger over-cooked and the chips were frozen crap. So much so that the last time I went (March 2006) I vowed never to eat there again. My guess is the penny-pinching bean counters were at it behind the scenes.

As for the beer - well it was OK. Lkie everything else GW it has suffered massive price hikes, but at least the Bugmans (if you like beer how could you ask for a pint of anything else there?) was kept well and tasted OK, if a little unexceptional.

Personally now, I woulnd't eat there (or the burgers at least) anymore unless I was starving and couldn't be bothered to pack sarnies or walk into Nottingham, but I'd still have a pint.

Darkseer
05-04-2007, 13:53
1. Is the food good? - No!
2. Is the drink good? - cheap Guiness = win! :D
3. Is it open this Friday? Go to The Pit & Pendulum for Friday night instead.
4. How are the prices? - Awesome, but I live in London

machine_recovered_meat
05-04-2007, 14:07
Go to The Pit & Pendulum for Friday night instead.

Whilst I've not been to Bugmans, and thus cannot speak of it either way,
I'll heartily second this recommendation. The Pit is a cracking pub.
Always find time to go there when in Nottingham.

ArtificerArmour
05-04-2007, 14:57
There's a subway about 5-10minutes walk away, and a reasonably nice pub across the road from there. From what I remember of my pilgramage there...

pookie
05-04-2007, 15:02
yeah, i've wondered what Reabe is asking too. i intend to go on a pilgrimage there sometime in the autumn when i've learnt to drive.

do they sell alcohol there? beer and that? it can't be called Bugman's without beer!

would it matter if they sold beer? youd be driving there?

back on topic, ive always wondered wether it woul be worth a visit, beingup norrth though im not inclined to just go and take a look, might have to find a reason.

Tyron
05-04-2007, 15:30
Thinking about it most of the people who go there dont drink normally (go clubbing, bars ect) so the owner has the mind set that they can handle only one drink and thus charge a lot per pint.:skull:

leonmallett
05-04-2007, 15:33
would it matter if they sold beer? youd be driving there?

back on topic, ive always wondered wether it woul be worth a visit, beingup norrth though im not inclined to just go and take a look, might have to find a reason.

Attend a tournament or campaign weekend and combine a visit with that.

Flame
05-04-2007, 17:05
I disagree about the food, I quite like it!

Usually eat there once a week on thursdays, and the chicken zinger meal is quite tasty! Plus the cheesy garlic bread aint bad.

Beers ok, the kronenberg they have there is the only decent one.

Jedi152
05-04-2007, 17:08
I disagree about the food, I quite like it!

Usually eat there once a week on thursdays, and the chicken zinger meal is quite tasty! Plus the cheesy garlic bread aint bad.
Phew! It's not just me!

As i said, it's a bit random. I've been in and had a gorgeous burger with melted cheese, lashings of salad and curly fries, and been in the next week, ordered the very same thing and got a crummy carpet burger with a processed cheese slice, crap oven chips, and a slice of tomato.

Crube
05-04-2007, 17:11
Jedi = the truth.

The lord of chance seems to govern your food order. but more recently, the quality seems to have dipped somewhat...

Huw_Dawson
05-04-2007, 18:49
Isn't it possible they just have different staff working there on a rotation basis?

And as someone else said, don't judge Bugman's by it's tournament food - they have to keep it quick and cheap otherwise the slightly tipsy players go crazy. :p

- Huw

Angelwing
05-04-2007, 23:11
i've been twice. The food is okay, but remember its a staff canteen, not the Ritz.

squiggoth
05-04-2007, 23:28
1. Is the food good?

It's British food, so about as bad as the junk they serve in the Netherlands but then fried to hide the tastelessness. :p
Nah, I had some sandwiches and english breakfasts and dinners over there and they were of the kind that you often find in the kinds of cheap restaurants that a poor dutch schoolboy visits when he's on holiday in London. It's not bad, but no michelin stars either.

2. Is the drink good?

They serve Grolsch (yay!), lots of ales (nay!) and Bugman's XXX (basically old shampoo, but without any hairs in it)

IIRC, they're open 7 days/nights a week.

When I was there, the prices were comparable to regular Nottingham pubs.

@Crazy Harborc - you should post more often when drunk. :D

Crazy Harborc
06-04-2007, 00:49
Well........I was very sleepy, yes.....had I been drinking, no. I was just in one of those moods at the time of posting here.

Grolsch.....HI THERE:D Last November we went on a Holland America cruise, 15 days round trip from San Diago, Ca. to Hawaii......Part of a Jazz tour group with 4 bands. Lots of time in the lounges and main theater.

Grolsch....I discovered it on the third(?) day out. It was the unique bottle and it's size that got me to try it. Been looking in my area since we got back...no Grolsch:mad: I quess I'll just have to do another HA cruise.

neko_katan
06-04-2007, 05:12
this is really a shame, in Japan at one of Bandai's big center's they have a bar with themed drinks from their shows, like a Haro (a gundam 'character
...if you can call a beach ball a character..but yah..all colored and in glasses specialy done up)

It'd be cool if they at least used some food coloring and creative names so you could order drinks like an "imperial fist" or "gobbo mushroom brew" or sumfin...

it could taste like crap..but you add some food coloring and you're set...atmosphere wise anyways...

squiggoth
06-04-2007, 19:33
Well........I was very sleepy, yes.....had I been drinking, no. I was just in one of those moods at the time of posting here.

Grolsch.....HI THERE:D Last November we went on a Holland America cruise, 15 days round trip from San Diago, Ca. to Hawaii......Part of a Jazz tour group with 4 bands. Lots of time in the lounges and main theater.

Grolsch....I discovered it on the third(?) day out. It was the unique bottle and it's size that got me to try it. Been looking in my area since we got back...no Grolsch:mad: I quess I'll just have to do another HA cruise.

Make a cruise to the Netherlands then - turn left at Hawaï, cruise for a couple of weeks, steer in the direction of Rotterdam, follow the river upstream, once you reach Nijmegen turn left, go A Bridge Too Far towards Arnhem, and cross some farmland until you reach the Groenlo area and there you'll find the Grolsch brewery.
Over here Grolsch is as easily available as tap water, and almost as cheap. And make sure to get your hands on Grolsch Kanon, which is a type of Grolsch that contains enough alcohol to turn you into a herd of pink elephants after a few sips. :p

Art Is Resistance
06-04-2007, 21:57
IIRC that they stopped calling the food things like 'warhawk sandwich' due to the cringing embarassment felt by anyone over 12 ordering the damn things...

Food is as everyone says - depends who is one - but it's no worse than a wetherspoons - as for the prices - no more than a typical Notts pub.

the atmosphere can be good if there's a good mix of people in there - as long as there aren't too many kids running around.

Crazy Harborc
07-04-2007, 00:38
Did, did I catch that correctly a few posts back. Tournaments are held at Bugmans. Nutters (including me okay) have beer/alcohol available during playtime.:evilgrin: Where....where...do I, I, sign up, up that is...to um play:D ??

squiggoth
07-04-2007, 01:55
Did, did I catch that correctly a few posts back. Tournaments are held at Bugmans. Nutters (including me okay) have beer/alcohol available during playtime.:evilgrin: Where....where...do I, I, sign up, up that is...to um play:D ??

The gaming hall is right next to the bar .... as it should be at every self-respecting tournament. ;)

holymarine
07-04-2007, 02:44
Does anyone know if they still sell those goblets, mugs?

Crazy Harborc
07-04-2007, 02:45
I like that idea. Get opponent's um feelin fine:D

There may be a couple of indies on this side of the pond that offer a bit of the foam and snacks. Heck, we usually have a beer or two/three (the house limit). I offer pretzels to wash down the beer, soda and or water. Um, should, should that be wash down the pretzels, whatever.:D

Gaebriel
07-04-2007, 07:51
Beer and Pretzel games for the win! :p

Flame
08-04-2007, 10:47
Does anyone know if they still sell those goblets, mugs?

Yes, they do!

samael
09-04-2007, 10:41

Yes the beer is available at your table.They provide handy hard plastic pints so you can take it into the gaming hall.

So now that we've taken away the last of the hurdles you'll sign up for a Carnage tournament? :) ;)

Cypher
09-04-2007, 14:18
It used to be themed. I went there about four years ago now and had something along the lines of a 'Space Marine Sandwich'. Wasnt bad, although kinda simple compared to the food served at aussie pubs, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless.

Dspankdo
09-04-2007, 15:02
Always wanted to visit WW and bugmans, on my big OE I'll have to stop by. Thats before I tramp through scotland after the elusive, perfect, scotch whiskey.

scarletsquig
09-04-2007, 17:11
IIRC that they stopped calling the food things like 'warhawk sandwich' due to the cringing embarassment felt by anyone over 12 ordering the damn things...

That's a bit daft... it's no worse than ordering "diddy donuts" or whatever from McDonalds. I'd personally love to go up and order a squig burger with extra fungus and halfling greens :)

I would have thought they'd have stopped selling themed food for a much more boring, fun-killing reason like it violating the latest EU directive on the labelling and representation of consumables no. 834902 (part f) or something.

Dspankdo
09-04-2007, 17:17
And why would people be embarrased in the first place, there in a bar in a toy store in between rounds of pushing toy soldiers around a table-top for no apparent reason:D

Atrahasis
09-04-2007, 21:01
The beer is average with average prices.

I've never eaten the food as I'm always there at events so eat in the staff canteen, not the bar.

From what I can tell, though, the quality of food has gone downhill a lot since the old manager left last year.

Gearux
10-04-2007, 00:04
Needs a good manager, too much of a missed opportunity at present, I reckon (talk about potential for an uber-theme pub)
Sounds like it! I know that personally that if it were truly Dwarf themed I would crap myself with excitment. Maybe its just because I'm an American, we just can't stand the thought of missing a good cash cow.

Remember to pick up the special edition Bugman model!
NO WAY!!!!!!:eek:

holymarine
10-04-2007, 00:24
I bought one of their Tankards about three years ago (maybe 2) and I still have it. Wanted to get the other drink holders wont be down till October

Crazy Harborc
10-04-2007, 00:33
One more reason to skip whatever and get on to Nottingham. A long time buddy and our wives are "talking about" a trip to the UK in the next year or so.

Atrahasis
10-04-2007, 01:31
NO WAY!!!!!!:eek:Yes way. I sent one to an Aussie gent in exchange for a Chronicles '04 (they didn't release it in the UK).

Sikkukkut
10-04-2007, 04:32
It used to be themed. I went there about four years ago now and had something along the lines of a 'Space Marine Sandwich'.

I had one of those when I visited there. Space Marine meat tastes a bit blander than I'd expected :D

I had a couple of meals there, and you're right, it was about on par with most of the pub meals I had in England. Then again this was nearly three years ago, and I take the point about oscillating quality. It's annoying when that happens.

RevEv
12-04-2007, 07:33
I've stopped in Bugman's many times - normally as a break when travelling North. I've eaten many times there and the food is changeable.

In the bar the food is standard pub fare and good, but not overly exciting. I went last in February, on a cold, snowy day, and the Chilli is just what I wanted... if a bit too much (the food portions are huge). My kids had the platter between them, which went down well with a 3yr old and a 6yr old. Cost wise it wasn't too bad.

In the staff canteen, when we stopped with the kids when going up North again, things were different. Bog standard subway style sandwiches with chips (good ones). They were very accommadating about the youngest Ev (still eating mush at the time).

For a staff canteen Bugman's is great, and a far better break from the M1 than the services at Donnington Park.

Never tried the beer - I'm always driving.

As for the Fat Blokes Special - legendary! The best burger I have ever eaten (and that's many as I was once a fat bloke).

kyussinchains
12-04-2007, 21:38
I agree with those who say the fat bloke special was grand!

I also enjoyed the steak ciabatta too, but as always, the food is pretty variable.....

it's non-smoking too, which until july at least, is a great thing for those of us who dont like to stink like tramp's socks

on the three occasions I've been there they've always had really attractive, friendly barmaids too, which is always a bonus, especially when you're a repellant geek like me!

the beer was normal prices, maybe 20p a pint more than a town pub, but nothing extravagant!