PDA

View Full Version : Harlequins and Rangers

Bruised Lee
05-04-2007, 07:54
With the imminent release of the new Harlequins, I've had an idea for an idea for an army. It may not be the best tournament winning force, but fluff-wise, I think it's quite sound.
The idea I have is of a group of Harlequins wandering around the webway coming across a group of Rangers also wandering around the webway.
Over a couple wraithbone cups of chai lattes with soy milk (or whatever it is that space-bourne elves imbibe socially) one group happens to mention "We're on our way to somewhere or another to do some such thing". To which the other group replies "No kidding! Us too. You wanna team up?"
And just like that an army list is born.
My HQ would consist of an Autarch (probably based on the Yriel model) converted to look like a ranger (ie; cloak, hood, leather straps & pouches).
He'd have a fusion pistol (he traded it from a Harlie) and a power sword. I want him to have a long rifle as well, but I don't know if that's strictly legal. The long rifle might have to count as some other bit of war gear.
Next up, I'm going to have a Farseer, who I'll convert to look like a Harlequin Avatar. I'm thinking of making him or her out of a Wood Elf Spellsinger.
My three Elite slots will be taken up by Harlequin Troups. One troupe of the new Harlies and two troupes of the old ones.
For my troops, I have one squad of the new rangers, upgraded to pathfinders,
one squad consisting of my old rangers and another squad of rangers made using Eldar guardians, Dark Eldar warriors and the plastic Wood Elf and High Elf sprues.
Let's not forget about Jetbikes. Preferably two squads. One converted to look like rangers and one to look like Harlies, led by the old Harlie Jetbike.
Vypers as my Fast Attack, again looking suitably ranger-y.
I'm thinking of fudging things a bit by including warp Spiders. The too can be found strolling the webways, though I don't know if they ever really stray that far from their craftworlds, but I really like the models.
Heavy support is where I run out of ideas.
I suppose it's feasible for a bunch of rangers to wander off with a falcon or war walker but it doesn't really seem right to have them drag some cannons, albeit floating cannons, all over the place.
I'm also aware of the need for a way of keeping my Harlies alive until they come to grips with enemy.
The old chapter approved list gave Harlequins a thing called a Razor as an heavy support option. It was a cross between a Vyper and Raider, so maybe I can build one or two of them and use them using the old rules or the vehicle design rules.
Obviously this list needs some fine tuning and I haven't even begun working out a points cost for thing yet, but what do you guys think?

elvinltl
05-04-2007, 09:05
Just go for Alaitoc. It saves you alot of trouble...
Fluff says that rangers usually disrupt enemy troops and Harlequins moves in to deal the crippling blow.

However, fluff wise, i give you my full support. I am very eager to see such a nicely converted army and wonder how they will work. Simply sensational army.

smileyface
05-04-2007, 20:20
Are you planning 2K then? Your list sounds a bit more than 1500.

The ranger/harlequin association is fine and dandy. The warp spiders and jetbikes are a bit dubious. Shining Spears could work, if you convert them a bit and make them harlequin bike riders.

For HS you could use wraithlords. They have been a part of the harlequin fluff for a long time, and offer nice anti-tank (which you are otherwise lacking).

Your ranger lord has troubles - he can't legally be equipped with a fusion pistol or long rifle. You could model a fusion pistol on him and then have it count as a fusion gun & shuriken pistol (which is legal), but there isn't really a rifle option for him (reaper launcher is the only long-ranged weapon).

It might be better to make the ranger-leader a farseer (mind war could be a sniper rifle, maybe? Or a long-barrelled needle pistol.) and have the harlequin leader as the autarch.

I was tinkering with a similar idea recently, and came up with the following legal 1500 list:

"Great Harlequin on bike"
Autarch, bike, laser lance. 130

"Harlequins on bikes"
3 shining spears including exarch with withdraw. 142

6 Harlequins including death jester, shadow seer, and five kisses 168
5 rangers 95
5 rangers 95
5 rangers 95

Harlequin wraithlord (wraithsword and bright lance) 140

That leaves 19 points, which is just enough to get a fusion gun for the autarch and have 9 spare, or to swap a wraithsword for a missile launcher for some extra shooting.

Or you could drop one of the brightlances down to an EML and then upgrade some rangers to pathfinders instead.

Other options include adding vypers (convert to a fighting platform at the back, then stick a death jester on there). Or mimes, who I've never liked, but are basically storm guardians.

It's not a tactically optimised list, but I think it's playable.

Marius Xerxes
05-04-2007, 20:37
Yeah i was going to say if you had a "longrifle" on your Lord, use a Reaper Launcher. Its long range and will easily hurt anything except terminators. Fair enough in my opinion. I agree with the wraithlord idea as heavy support. The new bright lances can be easily modeled to look like they are holding it like a rifle. Though if your wanting them to be purely a ranger look to the heavies, i would go for brightlance, missile launcher. IMHO the sword they can have is not at all worth it compared to the additional firepower you can add. Without the sword i still dont want to get close to the thing in HtH.

UrbanFarmer
05-04-2007, 20:42
I hope your wraithlords don't roll any ones

Paul Nexus
05-04-2007, 21:27
I think the reaper launcher would best represent a long rifle. Two shots and a good AP will represent a expert marksman, while the S value could be interpreted as some low level anti infantry round, allowing the rifle to be fired at speed.

smileyface
08-04-2007, 13:46
IMHO the sword they can have is not at all worth it compared to the additional firepower you can add. Without the sword i still dont want to get close to the thing in HtH.

I agree, from a tactical perspective. However, if you harlequin the thing up it looks better with a sword. See, I can do fluffy play. :angel:

Lameth
08-04-2007, 19:04
If you want to go for a Ranger/Harlie army, use the experimental Harlie list and take in Rangers as Allies/detachment. Would fit in with the fluff better - company of rangers meeting a Harliequin troupe.