PDA

View Full Version : Mike McVey working for GW again?

OrlyggJafnakol
06-04-2007, 10:33
Just come across this article on the UK site. Good old Mike McVey discussing his Dark Angels work. It was nice to see his work again, I remember trying to ape his style when I was a small boy.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/darkangels-diorama/1/

Is it a reprint or is he working for them again? I do hope he is back, I loved his style.

IronSailor
06-04-2007, 10:41
I think it's a reprint as I remember seeing that about ten years ago.

The thing about McVey is that he doesn't paint the back of models which makes them less impressive when you see them in real life.

t-tauri
06-04-2007, 11:17
Definitely a retread of a very old WD article. McVey's still in the US with Privateer.

superknijn
06-04-2007, 12:34
You can even see the oldm pattern bolters on the right wall....
Itīs a nice diorama, though.

Chaos and Evil
06-04-2007, 12:39
I think it's a reprint as I remember seeing that about ten years ago.

The thing about McVey is that he doesn't paint the back of models which makes them less impressive when you see them in real life.

He only did that once, and that was for a painting guide...

The game is afoot
06-04-2007, 12:39
Mike McVey is gone for good.
He's making a LOT more in the states.

Snib
06-04-2007, 12:48
Mike McVey is gone for good.
He's making a LOT more in the states.

People generally do make a lot more in the states, taxation is lower, and similar band jobs pay more (skilled jobs - unskilled labour is questionable with a much lower min wage etc etc), however this is offset with healthcare costs etc. Its swings and roundabouts.

Also I very much doubt you are aware of what salary he is on :) so the point is negligable.

Bloodknight
06-04-2007, 13:30
The diorama in that article was featured in the 2nd edition "Angels of Death"-codex, so I doubt that heīs back.
Still brilliant work.

Parka boy
06-04-2007, 15:05
I wonder if he got paid again for them showing it or do GW have some nasty contract clause that states something like? Anything you make while working for them belongs to the company.

sigur
06-04-2007, 15:09
I'd be surprised if they didn't. Isn't that more or less a standard clause in contracts for work like the stuff McVey did for GW?

Snib
06-04-2007, 15:28
I'd be surprised if they didn't. Isn't that more or less a standard clause in contracts for work like the stuff McVey did for GW?

Generally speaking yes, the IP belongs to GW and would have been in clear print on the contract. Nearly any creative process for a large organisation has an IP clause to remove all personal claims to produced items (this can even include work in the same environment out of work hours for the duration of employment).

t-tauri
06-04-2007, 16:03
I wonder if he got paid again for them showing it or do GW have some nasty contract clause that states something like? Anything you make while working for them belongs to the company.That's very much standard for any large company. All work produced for the company is "work-for-hire" where the copyrights and trademarks remain with the company.

Parka boy
06-04-2007, 17:53
Copyrights are funny old things and art work copyrights (Which the sculpture is). is a very shady area. In my experience many companies pay when they reuse work even when they could get away with not doing so (who want to go to court over a couple of quid) just to keep everyone happy.

james1225
06-04-2007, 19:13
Nah its definatly reprint. hes over at PP now heading the design studio and hes just formulated the paint range

The game is afoot
08-04-2007, 15:37
Also I very much doubt you are aware of what salary he is on :) so the point is negligable.

You are correct in that I don't know what he is on now, however the point is FAR from negligible, you see, he is the Head Honcho of the PP design studio, whereas when he was in Nottingham he was a painter on the 'eavy metal' team, arguably the most 'negligible' salary of all roles in the GW company.
His income now will be, beyond question, vastly greater than anything he earned at GW, and considerably greater than his contemporary at GW.
After all, his new company is not 'losing' profit. ;)

Mikhaila
08-04-2007, 22:43
Is PP making a profit? or is that a guess? As a private company, I've never seen their numbers.

Damien 1427
08-04-2007, 23:47
I just hope he stays at PP. The main is one hell of a painter, but he should never be allowed near a sculpting tool again.

james1225
09-04-2007, 01:30
He hardly paints lol, its his missus that handles that side lol.

BodhiTree
09-04-2007, 01:42
I just hope he stays at PP. The main is one hell of a painter, but he should never be allowed near a sculpting tool again. Yes, that is the reason that Khador Warjacks don't sell at all, and why Khador is so unpopular. ;) Let's not forget a bunch of the Cygnar Warjacks, nobody plays them either. Oh yeah, and some of the Protectorate stuff too. This (http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=80) doesn't exactly strike me as an abomination of miniature design.

The pestilent 1
09-04-2007, 02:12
Yes, that is the reason that Khador Warjacks don't sell at all, and why Khador is so unpopular. ;) Let's not forget a bunch of the Cygnar Warjacks, nobody plays them either. Oh yeah, and some of the Protectorate stuff too. This (http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=80) doesn't exactly strike me as an abomination of miniature design.

Reminds me of the old 40K dreds.
IE: Crap.

Really don't see the appeal of them (Or atleast that model, I'll look into the rest of the range for fairs)

BodhiTree
09-04-2007, 02:15
The Warmachine aesthetic was established in the days when they just had the Iron Kingdoms D20 universe. McVey works within that model. Edit: I might be wrong on the age of the D20 game, but the universe was already established before Warmachine was created, anyway. Edit: I wasn't wrong.

SON OF LION
09-04-2007, 04:43
The full diagram is much more impressive. It is probably one of the main reasons that I put as much energy into my Dark Angels as I do.

I also quite liked his other diagrams, specifically the lizardmen sacrifice and the chaplain versus the exodite.

I don't think you can really blame him for his initial sculpts. I heard that unlike the other sculpters, he wasn't given an apprenticeship or even enough time to finetune his skills before they threw down a big job for him. The fact that his sculpts blew chunks seems to me to be more the companies fault for throwing him in the deep end. He's gotten a lot better now so there is some truth in what I say.

blongbling
09-04-2007, 11:45
The full diagram is much more impressive. It is probably one of the main reasons that I put as much energy into my Dark Angels as I do.

I also quite liked his other diagrams, specifically the lizardmen sacrifice and the chaplain versus the exodite.

agreed...i still think that the DA diorama is one of the most evocative ones i have seen.

I don't think you can really blame him for his initial sculpts. I heard that unlike the other sculpters, he wasn't given an apprenticeship or even enough time to finetune his skills before they threw down a big job for him. The fact that his sculpts blew chunks seems to me to be more the companies fault for throwing him in the deep end. He's gotten a lot better now so there is some truth in what I say.

from what i understand is that he wanted to do sculpting and wanted to give it a go....he then decided he was better than other people and wouldnt listen to anyone. perhaps he learnt to listen to others and not assume cos he could paint he could sculpt...his PP stuff is ok.

BlazeXI
09-04-2007, 12:32
The reason most talents flee from GW, the market leader, is the slary. The likes of McVey, Pirinen, Chambers and so on (there was also that 40k guru, but as I do not play 40k I can't recall and I do not want to put someone working in trouble) have proven themselves in GW and now begun to earn a decent pay elswhere. Let them stay there and do a great job. And Khador Jacks are awsome!

Exterminatus
09-04-2007, 13:23
Unfortunately Mike Mcvey is not back. I remember seeing this one in WD 194 or around that time... definately between WD 192 - 200.

Archaon
09-04-2007, 15:00

I particularly like his Horus/Emperor piece before the final confrontation.. that looked really well.

McVey was the go to guy for dioramas back in the day but generally the Eavy Metal team back then had more time to paint up models and pull off good conversions.

I remember i was a bit disheartened when i saw EM miniatures in the WD because whatever i tried i didn't even come close. It may have been the main reason that they took "lesser" painters or instructed them to dial it back a bit so new players aren't discouraged by perfect painting.

As to his sculpting for GW.. that really blew. His special character Blood Angel priest (can't remember the name) has to be one of the worst models ever.. just showed that he wasn't ready yet.
If he sculpted some Warjacks i say he can't mess them up much. They are far easier sculpts.. many flat and undetailed spaces, no faces (very hard to make look good) and the detail isn't that staggering.

Damien 1427
09-04-2007, 17:07
Yes, that is the reason that Khador Warjacks don't sell at all, and why Khador is so unpopular. ;) Let's not forget a bunch of the Cygnar Warjacks, nobody plays them either. Oh yeah, and some of the Protectorate stuff too. This (http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=80) doesn't exactly strike me as an abomination of miniature design.

Chaplain Lemartes also sold a shedload, what's your point? Just because something sells, doesn't mean it looks good. And looking good is subjective, anyway...

Me, I enjoy the idea of the Warmachine designs, but I think they (The 'jacks) are alright models at best, and at worst some of the most poorly-designed kits I've ever come across.

The infantry are far, far better in both respects. Such a shame the main theme of it aren't.

BodhiTree
09-04-2007, 17:13
Chaplain Lemartes also sold a shedload, what's your point? I was just poking at you because I thought your comment was subjective in the first place. ;) No hard feelings.

blongbling
09-04-2007, 18:38
The reason most talents flee from GW, the market leader, is the slary. The likes of McVey, Pirinen, Chambers and so on (there was also that 40k guru, but as I do not play 40k I can't recall and I do not want to put someone working in trouble) have proven themselves in GW and now begun to earn a decent pay elswhere. Let them stay there and do a great job. And Khador Jacks are awsome!

actually thats not true...all the people you listed there left for reasons not salary related, well except for Pirinen..GW pays its studio types quite well all things considered

Wintermute
09-04-2007, 19:35
I think this thread is beginning to deviate from its original topic and the question originally posed has been answered.

Thread closed.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition