PDA

View Full Version : A question on Stands

hereticdave
07-04-2007, 15:08
So brand new noob to Epic here and fresh from eBay with the beginnings of an Eldar army. As the lot didn't come with any stands i'll have to source some as such the following questions:

Is there any ingame difference between using the older square and the current rectangular shaped stands?

Is there an issue with mixing them within the same army or between two armies fighting?

The reason i ask is that i've always rather liked the square 'Space Marine' ones - they just look tidier somehow :D

Anyways your responses/advice is much appreciated!

Pulsar
07-04-2007, 15:22
the only things that matter are:
• A stand may be no more than 40mm and no less than
5mm across in any direction.
• A stand must be at least 20mm across in one direction
(ie, a 5mm by 5mm stand is not allowed, but a 5mm by
20mm stand would be okay).
• Stands representing infantry units must have at least
three infantry models and may not have more than
seven. Infantry mounted on bikes or horses must have
between two and four models mounted on each base.

thats from page 16 of the rulebook.

so as long as you don't break these rules you can have any shape stands.

CyberShadow
07-04-2007, 15:41
... and yes, you can have different bases in the same army if you like.

firestorm40k
07-04-2007, 16:35
You can also do what appeals to your aesthetic sense (obviously within the rules, which Pulsar has already pointed out). In my Imperial Guard, I use the rectangular bases that most Epic Infantry are supplied with nowadays, wheras the Tanks I've put on old 2 pence & 1 pence pieces. A lot of people don't like basing their vehicles, it's totally a matter of preference. I'm currently putting together Epic Chaos armies, and for most of these I'm using the Warmaster 4cm x 2cm bases.

So long as it's within the rules, do what ever matces your taste! :)

Major_Gilbear
07-04-2007, 17:27
The other guys are quite right!
I should point out one more thing thing though: square/narrow-front bases are better for getting lots of troops into CC, but more vulnerable to template (i.e. barrage/blast) weapons. That is to say, the reason for the generous basing rules that Pulsar posted from the rulebook is because what you may gain as an advantage one way is usally a penalty in another.

hereticdave
08-04-2007, 23:53
Great! Thanks very much for all your help!

I think i'll be a sucker and go with the square ones and take my lumps :D

Dwarf Supreme
10-04-2007, 16:55
I also prefer the looks of the square bases, but it is easier to paint the rectangular ones.

Karhedron
12-04-2007, 21:44
I also prefer the looks of the square bases, but it is easier to paint the rectangular ones.
This is definitelt worth considering. Trying to paint the rear models on a square base can be a right pain (assuming that you want to go to that much effort on 6mm high infantry ;)).

Minister
13-04-2007, 12:53
I've always liked the rectanguar ones better, but have been tempted to use 40mm round ones for some characters to make them look that bit nicer.

hereticdave
22-04-2007, 05:15
One small flaw in the 'master plan' would be that the new models bases are a teeny tiny bit larger than the holes in the older square bases :(

Malakai
22-04-2007, 23:09
The old square bases' holes were so close to the size of the miniatures that some times it took an act of Khorne to force them in. Believe me, once the rectangle ones are textured you wont see any gaps.

-Malakai

hereticdave
23-04-2007, 21:46
Yeah its a pain in the ****. I'm going the other way though - new models into the older square bases. They're just a fraction of a millimetre to big so every figure requires a firm scraping with the modelling knife to squeeze them in.

All part of the fun i guess :P

That said i'm halfway completed my Harlequin Masque and just for fun cut out the Scouts for my Alaitoc Craftworld army and painted my very first stand of infantry.

Small beginnings but what the hey :)