PDA

View Full Version : Araby, Cathay, Nippon and Ind, etc. ?

him_15
07-04-2007, 18:13
Obviously these races stand for China, Japan, etc. And they are all seem to be mankind sort of things. Just wondering is there any possibilty that these race would be implemented as a new race in our Warhammer world in the future? If so, what do you think they would look like?
According to the rolebook, Cathay seems to be an empire with different sorts of people commanded by a dragon Emperor. armys are various of exotic warriors and monks. seems to interesting enough to become part of FB.

Mangosta
07-04-2007, 19:01
I hope to see those army list in the future. Humans should be the most predominant race in the warhammer world...but they have only two army books of twelve...(empire and bretonia)

Allarion
07-04-2007, 19:03
I really hope they are eventually too, it seems like the would really add to the game and set it apart from other fantasy games, everyone has elves and dwarfs, but who has monkey-warriors?

Bregalad
07-04-2007, 20:06
Here is the fan-made Cathay Codex:

Okay, so I've finally finished talking with the devs and I have the go-ahead. Behold, warhammer armies: cathay. This isn't just a list. This is a book.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/17d6c704-fd8f-4c22-9a45-52c8946cf958/Warhammer-Armies:-Cathay.pdf

I'd like to thank everyone who helped out on this project, which has taken almost five years from first idea to completion. Especial thanks to the members of this forum who helped out- rabid bunny, malika, juddski, bubble ghost, balloon dog, anachristica, Taven and others who I no doubt forget but were just as helpful. ESPECIAL ESPECIAL thanks to juddski for his amazing work in illustrating most of the book.

I'd like to now point out that yes, this is a fantastical representation of the ENTIRE EAST. Not just cathay, this list was designed to create both nippon and steppe lists with minor variations, which forced the inclusion of some entries. I was also careful to include the ability to create more 'historical' lists. You can do it easily enough if you want, but for those who want the crazy ass stuff, it's there in force. Also remember that this is a representation of CATHAY, not china or japan. Cathay, culturally and thematically, is a melange of cultures as far apart as the middle east and korea, not just china, just like every other human army. The aim was to create a list that could satisfy both the history buffs and the anime fans at opposite ends of the spectrum, and in that end we have more or less succeeded, remember, if you don't like it, you don't have to take it...

I'd also like to point out that this list has undergone over a hundred playtest games against many armies over the years and is pretty darn balanced, fairer than many of the official lists IMHO. The advantage of online publication is we can get your feedback and update the list constantly, so please, tell me what you think on here, via PM, or via email at thereisnosaurus@gmail.com, hatemail included. I'd also be deeply greatful if you could inform me if you spot any inconsistencies caused by the new rules, as this will save me a year or so of re-proofreading.

I will be endeavouring to get this list a published spot on warseer where it is permanently available and continue to improve upon it as people play games. I have, as I said, been talking with the devs a bit on this, and I'm fairly sure there will be no official cathay for a while. However, given how impressed they were with this, I'd say it's a safe bet to say you won't find a better list for cathay for a long, long time.

Kirth
07-04-2007, 22:49
Personally I think Araby is the only army that has the right to be added. Araby is part of the old world yet all we ever see of it are Al Muktar's desert dogs?

C'mon.

_Ashdil_
07-04-2007, 23:05
Some years ago I made a list for the ape armies of Ind. Think planets of the apes in how they look (the newer one). Quite a good list too... now where did I put it?... Sadly I dont think I have it anymore.

lilljonas
07-04-2007, 23:22
There's several threads about it different parts of the forums, both here and in the Background discussions. Searches on Cathay, Nippon etc should net you quite a bit of reading. :)

Overall, the main issue seems to be how to squeeze in more humans, no matter if they are from Araby, Cathay or Border Princes. A new army has to be unique enough to make it different from all existing armies, and generally this has been done with adding new species (lizardmen, ogres etc). Most medievalish armies can be fielded as DoW, Empire or Bretonnia if you think creatively and use a bit of "counts as". Both Cathay, Nippon and Araby.

Grymlok
08-04-2007, 00:33
I wonder if they would ever consider doing an Army book with all four of them in one book. Call it the Other Nations of Man or the Armies of Men or something.

Saying that, I'm sure most people would want dedicated books.

spikedog
08-04-2007, 03:48
Araby is the army of all of them that interests me the most. I would love to do an army of elephants, djinns and flying carpets. If Warmaster is anything to go by it is something that GW are at least coinsidering.

It does seems strange that the most common race (humans) have only 2 armies and yet one of the rarest (Elves) have 3. Not that I have anything against Elves mind you.

DarkAngel74
08-04-2007, 23:54
Make a *********** counterpart of Korea for chrissake, GW!!

Hollopoint
09-04-2007, 00:04
I think it would be an excellent idea to have an Araby and Far East influenced army enter the Warhammer world. I think there would be enough diversity and character for them to be different.

Cherrystone
09-04-2007, 00:36
and Far East influenced army enter the Warhammer world.

RE-enter, there were unit entries and miniatures in the 3rd edition armybook.

Stouty
09-04-2007, 00:49
Well the current armies of men are fairly historical so the only way I can see araby, cathay etc being given an army book is if they were to be quite fantastical, drawing heavily from the mythos of and about the region to create something quite unique. I mean as far as fantasy goes empire has nothing outside of it's hero choices.

Magically imbued guardians of the sultan? Swordmaster wannabes of Nippon? Tigermen of ind?

Who knows? GW is keeping very tight lipped so as not to write themselves into a corner on almost every nation without an armybook. Cathay has a fair amount written about it in comparison to ind but most of that is 1st/2nd edition when the gods of law and the greater demon of life still roamed around the canon fluff.

TheWarSmith
09-04-2007, 16:58
I hope to see those army list in the future. Humans should be the most predominant race in the warhammer world...but they have only two army books of twelve...(empire and bretonia)

and chaos, and DoW

Xavier
09-04-2007, 17:38
That Cathayn army book is pretty cool, especially for a fan made one.