PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Spearmen

Belerophon709
08-04-2007, 14:16
Hey all!

First off, I don't have a copy of the Wood Elf Army Book. I play Chaos mostly. However, I've gotten my hands on a bunch of old Wood Elf minis, and was thinking of starting up a small contingent of these guys.

However, some of the minis are classified as Wood Elf Spearmen (says so on the still unopened blister). From what I can gather from the Army Builder programme, there are currently no Wood Elf troops armed with spears, so what can I use them as? Nothing?

The Dark One
08-04-2007, 14:28
use them as Eternal Guard

Sauron90
08-04-2007, 14:29
Wood elf Spearmens (called Glade Guards) where a part of the Wood elf list until the latest edition of the Wood elf army book they where removed.

But fear not.

A new unit was added Ethernal Guards. According to the fluff most of them fights with bladed sticks (bad choice of words). But some fights with Spears and Shields. Regardles of Equipment they count as 2 HW in first rank and spears in second. As well as according to GW event rules you can use models that where removed from the army list as another type of unit if they look similar and you explain it to your opponent before the game. So you can use them as Ethernal Guards without any problems.

MadJackMcJack
08-04-2007, 14:30
Eternal Guard (http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/gallery/7/) use spears.

Ward.
08-04-2007, 14:32
Eternal guard.

EDIT- madjackmcjack and the dark one beat me to it.

MalusCalibur
08-04-2007, 14:42
Closest you can get is Eternal Guard, but they look so vastly different from the old Spearelves that it might be a stretch. You might need to convert them by adding additional blades to the other end of the spear shafts.

Although from what I understand, Eternal Guard are not very popular among WE players.

MalusCalibur

Bloodknight
08-04-2007, 14:45
Eternal Guard. These just some sort of doublebladed spear normally, but I think Spearmen would pass as them.

MadJackMcJack
08-04-2007, 16:50
Actually, if you read the description of the Eternal Guard weapons rules, it says something along the lines of "Some use spear-staves, while others use spear-and-shield", so there's nothing to stop you using a mixed unit of both types. Could look pretty cool actually.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
08-04-2007, 18:53
you could always use the old glade guard rules if your oponent agrees-just normal WE stat line with spears and shields. I really liked those figs.

Franco
08-04-2007, 18:58
I've never seen those men do you have a pic???
I think you can use them as eternal guard like everyone has said!!!

gorenut
08-04-2007, 20:30
easily use them as Eternal Guards. If I remember correctly, in their rules, they even get an extra point of armor save due to how they use their weapons. So just count them as highly skilled spearmen who get 2 jabs at the enemy (in the front ranks)[dice0][dice1]

Angry Lawyer
08-04-2007, 22:39
I believe the way the description of "Eternal Guard fighting style" was deliberately created to incorporate the old spearmen miniatures. Hence the "Sometimes with spear and shield" bit in there.

-Angry Lawyer

Vattendroppe
09-04-2007, 08:57
Eternal guard would fit as a glove. The new models are all equipped with doublebladed spears, but fluffwise they've got lots of different equippement. Two HW, HW/S, ordinary spears, doublebladed spears, sort of bo-staffs and so on and so forth. Rule-wise they're all equipped the same way. (They get two HW in first rank, fight with spears in second rank and always have a 5+ armour save, they're darn good I do must say!)

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
09-04-2007, 11:19
'I've never seen those men do you have a pic???'

No, afraid not. From what I can remember they were green robed hooded, lightly armoured (if any at all) holding a rugged wood spear and shield.
You might be able to find some pics on ebay.

Edit: quote thing didn't work

Rider-Of-Kurnous
09-04-2007, 12:22
Use them as eternal gaurd in the army book it says
"different eternal gaurd kindreds use differnt armament some rely on spear staves while others use the more traditional spear and shield" however they are armed doesnt change theyre rules

Angry Lawyer
09-04-2007, 20:35
They're in the online store, under Classic Wood Elves, as "Classic Glade Guard"

-Angry Lawyer