PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of coming back to Fantasy after a long break

Wintersdark
10-04-2007, 02:35
Hello everyone! I've been gone for a long time, and likely no one remembers me now (Ah, the old Portent days!) but I've been thinking of getting back into Warhammer Fantasy.

I was wondering what, if anything, has changed (significantly) about the game over the last two years? I sold my old armies, so I'm about to be looking into picking a new one, and I'm interested in weather or not anything has significantly changed in how the armies play, new units and whatnot.

So, anything dramatic since the releases of Ogre Kingdoms and the Wood Elves - pretty much that last things that happened before I stopped playing?

Still using the same rules set? Any changes? If so, are there links to explanations of said changes that anyone can supply?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Derrick/Wintersdark

Lander
10-04-2007, 02:52
New Orcs Book, New Empire Book, and New Dwarfs book.

Plus 7th edition warhammer.

Bloodknight
10-04-2007, 02:55
I seem to remember...;).

Well what Lander said.

The game plays more or less the same, some minor tweaks have happened and the whole stuff is better worded than before.

Wintersdark
10-04-2007, 02:58
I seem to remember...;).

Well what Lander said.

The game plays more or less the same, some minor tweaks have happened and the whole stuff is better worded than before.

Good to hear on the better worded part; though by the look of the rules forum, it doesn't seem to have helped much =)

I'm pretty glad the game plays more or less the same, it'll make deciding on a new army a lot easier. I died a little inside seeing the new greenskin army book - when I stopped playing before, I sold 12,000 pts worth of greenskins :(

I loved my greenskins, and would play em again... except for that I'll never again paint that bloody many models. My god.

Bregalad
10-04-2007, 08:42
Well, you will need the new rulebook anyway, as some basic rules have changes (magic, morale, formations,...). Or go for the starter box with some fine small green minis in it plus the small softcover rulebook.

Archaon
10-04-2007, 11:48
Or just hunt down the small rule booklet on Ebay.. as an "old gamer" you don't need the hobby sections and glossy pictures of miniatures. The small book has all the rules you need in them and it is easier to carry around.

Bloodknight
10-04-2007, 11:56
Agreed; two skull pass boxes will give you about 1500 points worth of goblins.

Wintersdark
10-04-2007, 23:56
Meh, don't want to do greenskins again. I loved mine, but I had painted over 600 goblins alone. I just can't bring myself to do that again. Given that, the boxed set's not really gonna be a practical plan. However, I wasn't aware that there was a smaller rulebook with only the new rules in it, not the shiny glossy section and useless crap that usually fills it. Nice to hear, I'll definately pick one of those up instead of the big clunky book.

I'm thinking I'm going to go Lizardmen, actually. Between them and a Chaos Deamon list, really. I want a fun modelling and painting opportunity, without having too many models to paint. I've been eyeballing pictures of tree frogs lately, and kinda want to paint a bunch of skinks and saurus like 'em.

Seems to me, the major rules changes are:

* Only power dice from magic items and the base dice can be shared, the dice wizards generate can only be used by that wizard
* New, much more dangerous looking Miscast chart
* Changes to the lores - seems to me the less used lores have been "tuned up" quite a bit
* Changes to how fleeing troops move; greatly simplified as they don't attempt to go "around" anything and are just destroyed if the hit an enemy unit/impassable terrain. If they move through or land in(in which case they are put on the far side) a friendly unit, that unit must make a panic test (immediately?).
* No more panic tests due to fleeing friends in proximity at the start of the turn.
* Battle standard bonus is now cumulative with unit standard (ie: A BSB in a unit with it's own standard will grant a total of +2 to CR now, instead of +1 previously)
* Stupidity has no effect in combat (no more 1/2 attacks)
* Skirmishers can no longer march while within 8" of an enemy unit (? I think? The rules don't say they can anymore...?)
* Fear or Terror causing characters in units render those units immune to fear and terror; however immune to psychology characters lose their immunity when joining a non-immune unit.
* Spiffy new buildings rules
* Charging models must endeavor to bring as many models from BOTH sides into contact as possible, thus largely eliminating intentional clipping (eg: Chariots charging units and only hitting one model on the corner)
* One bound spell per character limit
* Swarms take additional casualties when they lose combat, as per undead

That's all I've found so far; sound correct? Anything significant I'm missing?

Bregalad
11-04-2007, 00:37
Nice to know that you don't want to paint 600 Goblins again. Have fun with painting 600 Skinks then ;)

TheWarSmith
11-04-2007, 00:57
http://battlewagon-bits.com/product/SP17

$13

Bregalad
11-04-2007, 09:08
BTW, if you need some inspiration and motivation, look at the GW France Lizardmen dorama:
http://fr.games-workshop.com/warhammer/lustrie/decors/hexacoatl/index.asp

Wintersdark
11-04-2007, 14:59
Holy crap.

My god.

That's... wow.

wow.

Damn.

Arnizipal
11-04-2007, 18:03
That's all I've found so far; sound correct? Anything significant I'm missing?
* You need ranks of 5 models wide to claim rank bonus.
* Parry saves only work to the front
* Hatred and frenzy are passed on to mounts
* No more lapping round.
* Units in combat do no need to take longer take fear/terror/panic tests

I think that's pretty much all of the changes.

Sentinel75
11-04-2007, 18:05
welcome back wintersdark, I remember ye!

Selsaral
11-04-2007, 18:53
BTW, if you need some inspiration and motivation, look at the GW France Lizardmen dorama:
http://fr.games-workshop.com/warhammer/lustrie/decors/hexacoatl/index.asp

I think that's the same one from the Lustria book. Yeah really out of control good.

Hadhfang
11-04-2007, 21:04
Characters can be targetted if on thir own now as well.

Marcel
11-04-2007, 21:20
im down for a game.