PDA

View Full Version : Dragons?

Josef Bugman
10-04-2007, 10:11
I reckon dragons are becoming a proper race, with drakes as warriors and dragons as rare. what does anyone else think?

druchii7
10-04-2007, 10:30
what??

what sources?? do they consume illegal substances?? (XD we got enough with ogres, don't you think?)

seriously, it's got no sense. maybe an unofficial experimental list (as dinossaurs list), but rely on GW's staff brain. there is no background for them in current world and dragons... aren't they suposed to be too rare for filling a whole army?

in addition it would be too hard... a whole army flyinf throwing flames...

(aren't you thinking abour cnfrnttn?)

Josef Bugman
10-04-2007, 10:57
you have got a point there but it would be cool!

Dspankdo
10-04-2007, 11:58
Thats the silliest thing I've heard today.

sigur
10-04-2007, 13:01
I second this, but would put it a bit less rude. Anyway, WHFB definitly needs no new races and it definitly should not go for over-the-top-high-fantasy (or steampunk or any other hip stuff in any way). (Like chariots being pulled by lions and floating or "burning" mages :mad: )

Dragons are nice and cool and all, but keep them to one per army at max, only avaible to some armies and only for games of 2000+ points.

TheWarSmith
10-04-2007, 13:37
hahaha, or 2 in a HE army. muahahaha.

A dragon army would just be daft.

I agree that warhammer really doesn't need new "races". If anything, they should work with the areas of the world they haven't developed fully yet, namely Araby.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
10-04-2007, 13:47
perhaps they should make a wider range of dragons for various armies, then if you really wanted, you could make your own dragon army. but I wouldn't want an official one as advertising as it sounds.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
10-04-2007, 14:47
I dont think they should make a dragon army but i do think they should make new armies e.g. araby , cathay ect..

khorne666
10-04-2007, 15:08
I am looking forward to eventually getting a cathay army list as they do look quite good on the infantry side. I think the reason Josef thought this may well be the page at the end of the background section? It has dragons, Cathay and Chaos dwarfs. The page is about :Quote: Races that do not have an army book in print at time of release.

DeathlessDraich
10-04-2007, 15:36
Knowledge of all armies is paramount in tournaments.

The good players not only have a sound knowledge of the basic unit abilities and stats but also can anticipate the most effective and dangerous magic item combinations for every army possible.

Adding more armies simply places more pressure on new and inexperienced players, making them more susceptible to a sudden unleashing of an unknown magic item which could devastate their army or spoil their general strategy.

I think Fantasy is close to the maximum army limit if it has not already reached it.
http://www.warseer.com/sylass/TheNextEra/Dragon%20Army.doc

Josef Bugman
10-04-2007, 15:41
oh i was ganna use lizards with halberds as warriors

Rider-Of-Kurnous
10-04-2007, 15:42
Does anyone know if gw are bringing out any new armies
[dice0]

Jellicoe
10-04-2007, 16:08
I seem to recall once upon a time a very long time ago (2nd edition) when the original Ravening Hordes was in force someone attended the GW tournament with an army of 6 dragon riders and creamed pretty much everyone. Result being severe restrictions of flying creatures the following year and a preponderance of bolt throwers in people's tournament armies

cant see it happening in anything but a fun list these days

sigur
10-04-2007, 16:24
I dont think they should make a dragon army but i do think they should make new armies e.g. araby , cathay ect..

Uhm...no. Maybe just release miniatures to use for DoW after a little redux of the list. I'd prefer keeping the focus on the Old World actually.

@DeathlessDraich: I have to disagree. It was never much of a "pressure" for new players to min-max new armies or anything. People who like doing the maths for days and nights wo work out the biggest chance for them to win a game will always do that. It's the game that suffers big time. It's about impossible to balance the about 15 existing armies now and adding in even more armies every four years definitly wouldn't make it any better.

Vogon
10-04-2007, 17:20
I agree that warhammer really doesn't need new "races". If anything, they should work with the areas of the world they haven't developed fully yet, namely Araby.

Or indeed Chaos Dwarves which actually exist as a more or less playable army that are badly in need of a 7th ed update before bringing out entirely new armies like Araby

10-04-2007, 17:20
its GWs way of getting the heat of of bret RAF. "they complained about this watch the flyand dragon army"

Vattendroppe
10-04-2007, 17:35
No. Maybe in WoW, but not in WFB.

TheWarSmith
10-04-2007, 17:58
Uhm...no. Maybe just release miniatures to use for DoW after a little redux of the list. I'd prefer keeping the focus on the Old World actually.

Araby IS the old world.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
10-04-2007, 18:01
isn't it wierd how they call Naggaroth and Lustria the new world, and during the 18th century ish they called america the new world. I think GW is lacking in imagination.

TheWarSmith
10-04-2007, 18:20
Uh, isn't it weird how Naggaroth conveniently looks just like Canada and Lustria is the whole of south america?

Those relations are fairly well established.

Also note that the old world pretty accurately represents Europe.

Warhammer geography is almost completely unoriginal, but that's not the point of this thread.

Belerophon709
10-04-2007, 18:21
I wouldn't be opposed to a dragon-themed army... Although I think that this should just involve Lizzies... They are - after all - just less evolved dragonkin ;)

Lander
10-04-2007, 18:50
Chaos Dwarfs need a rewrite besides that Im ok with all the list we have so far. A Dragon army would be Silly.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
10-04-2007, 19:22
A Dragon army would be Silly.

but why is that? sounds like a cool idea to me, but I agree that chaos dwarves and other armies-or old ones- should come first.

Kjell
10-04-2007, 19:43
Dragons just aren't very organised. Intelligent, haughty, powerful and whatnot, but not well-connected. What I would like to see, however, is a return of different kinds of dragons. A model for a Cathayan dragon would be nice as well.

What I would like to see the most, however, is a plastic sprue for variant Beastmen. Cat and hound for Gors and lizard, insect and maybe something generally gribbly for Ungors.

But that's another topic. :p

Rider-Of-Kurnous
10-04-2007, 20:43
hmmmm i still think theyll bring out new armies eventually

pookie
10-04-2007, 22:36
hmmmm i still think theyll bring out new armies eventually

what fishmen........ :cheese: no seriously, i hope they dont bring any new races out, but if they did they would have to be from the far east, chathay/nippon etc...

no seriously, Dragons in the warhammer world are a race in decline, the vast majority of those that are alive are asleep, and theres very few people/beings etc that are able to rouse them.

plus isnt there some thing about they become less inteligent as they get the older? they owuldnt be able to organise into a force even if they could be bothered to awake....

TheWarSmith
10-04-2007, 23:11
Pookie,

Far east/nippon/cathay/ind wouldn't be new races, but rather new lands.

Most people here, myself included, are not fans of new races(dragons, fishmen, etc.), but I would support new armies based off of pre-existing societies(Araby being my most hopeful).

Vattendroppe
11-04-2007, 08:55
(Araby being my most hopeful).

Araby beeing the most probable also I suppose, after all they're already in warmaster.

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-04-2007, 10:05
but why is that? sounds like a cool idea to me, but I agree that chaos dwarves and other armies-or old ones- should come first.

I wouldn't call it silly(I'd be more rude, but I don't think the mods would let me), but lets stop and think about it for a moment.

Lets start with everything we know about Dragons. They are a very ancient race, here before the Old ones. Back then the world was much cooler but the old ones moved it closer to the sun, something the dragons apparently don't like.

There are very few living dragons left in the world, or at least, very few active ones. High Elves and Dark Elves are the biggest 'dragon users' in the world(as far as we know), and between them they could perhaps muster 20ish or so dragons for battle. In total. Thats it, most dragons won't wake up, even for the call of the mightiest elf prince.

Chaos Dragons is, maybe, an exception to this, it's a little hard to tell how many of those there are. Same with Zombie Dragons, but it's almost certainly very difficult to create and maintain those, so likely not very many.

So just before looking at the game effect of a dragon army, it would seem to go against most things we know about dragons already.

But if you look at the game effects, it's even more of a no-go. For a start, it would completly turn the game upside down. While I'm a firm believer that any army can succesfully fight a dragon, multiple of them is much more dangerous, and having an entire army of them would flat out mean that a great many match ups just wouldn't be a game at all.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
11-04-2007, 10:18
but they wouldn't all be the big dragons that we have now, they might be the characters or somethings, just little regiments of little firebreathers.

sigur
11-04-2007, 12:01
Indeed, that's a part of what most people think is "a silly army idea".

pookie
11-04-2007, 12:21
Pookie,

Far east/nippon/cathay/ind wouldn't be new races, but rather new lands.

Most people here, myself included, are not fans of new races(dragons, fishmen, etc.), but I would support new armies based off of pre-existing societies(Araby being my most hopeful).

True.

i hadnt meant new races as such, just expanding on them, althoughi Agree Araby would make more sence and may tempt me into a human army for fantasy..

Bubble Ghost
11-04-2007, 12:31
Where on earth does this idea-that-won't-die of an army of dragons come from? Is it really just because they were mentioned as an intelligent race in the background bit of the new rulebook? It appears that people think "race" is synonymous with "faction", and "faction" is synonymous with "army", and suddenly a bunch of geeks arguing about toy soldiers have held up a mirror to the human race. How depressing.

Slekith
11-04-2007, 12:45
I don't like the idea of a Draconian like army in Warhammer. We already have the Ogres, if you like that go play Dragonlance IMHO.

Franco
11-04-2007, 13:20
Wouldn't a dragon army cost alot of money???
Also, it would be a small army because they will cost alot of points each. I know the army wouldn't be just big dragons and dragon riders, but dragons are really good. So you can either make rubbish dragons which are cheap in points, or good dragons which costs alot in points. If they are good dragons, it wouldn't be a big army. I guess that GW would then make most of the models metal to pick out more detail, which would make the army cost alot. If they were rubbish and cheap in points, then most people wouldn't collect them and it would be a waste of space!!!

Vattendroppe
11-04-2007, 16:30
Wouldn't a dragon army cost alot of money???
Also, it would be a small army because they will cost alot of points each.

Didn't you just argue against yourself in the same sentance there ;)
Dragons as an army would be about the same cost as an avarage army I suppose. Considering you'd only get 5-6 models into one army.

BTW, they would be terribly weak to great cannons XD

Rider-Of-Kurnous
11-04-2007, 18:48
If they did make a dragon army it wouldnt actually be a dragon army more like a different lizardmen army where the core are say little dragon-warriors that are part human and the rare would be dragons

Franco
11-04-2007, 20:18
If they did make a dragon army it wouldnt actually be a dragon army more like a different lizardmen army where the core are say little dragon-warriors that are part human and the rare would be dragons

Do you think they will be a bit like Ogres aswell??? Because ogres have about 8 in 1 unit, and i don't think they will make really small dragons as core. They might make baby ones for one unit though!!!

Rider-Of-Kurnous
12-04-2007, 20:01
what fishmen........ :cheese: no seriously, i hope they dont bring any new races out, but if they did they would have to be from the far east, chathay/nippon etc...

no seriously, Dragons in the warhammer world are a race in decline, the vast majority of those that are alive are asleep, and theres very few people/beings etc that are able to rouse them.

plus isnt there some thing about they become less inteligent as they get the older? they owuldnt be able to organise into a force even if they could be bothered to awake....

When i put new armies i didnt mean new races just armies from the different parts of the new and old world[dice0]

Crazy Harborc
13-04-2007, 03:32
In the old days, dragon models costed 30/35 dollars and were metal. Now, it's the age of plastic for big and heavy models....like dragons.

To come up with all the master molds needed would very likely be in excess of at least a total of 400K....as in $400,000.(USD)