PDA

View Full Version : Which model you dislike or you think it could has been designed better?

him_15
10-04-2007, 17:38
By that mean the apperance of the model.
For me that would be the Bone Giant form TK. They look rahter like dancing in my sight. And the opponent always laugh on them rather than fear them. Their profile and skill are great but i just think they could have been designed more fearsome.

75hastings69
10-04-2007, 17:53
Yhetees, Treemen, Treekin, Chaos Trolls, Chaos Ogres are all the worst IMO. However I do not like the Skaven Clanrats with their flipper style feet, hopefully this will be sorted when they are redone.

I think from the above list Yhetees have to come top, they are IMO the worst sculpts ever to come out of GW, even worse than Morley's NAGASH!!!!!! I think if they were more like Heresy's Snow Trolls alot of people would have been alot happier.

sigur
10-04-2007, 18:00
I'm quite happy with the miniatures but the DE Manticore isn't a beauty really. Pose-wise, I'd prefer it more to look like the old one (like the one Dieter Hellnich was riding).

Selsaral
10-04-2007, 18:01
The bat swarm from VC is really, really, really bad.

The furies, while a huge step up from the old harpies, are not very good miniatures. They are all in the same pose and are clumsy on the battlefield.

Bloodletters have never been particularly good. I prefer the first generation version over the current.

The treekin could have been better but I don't hate them. Why oh why must they all have their tongues sticking out (treeman too!)?

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
10-04-2007, 18:10
harpies. the beastmaster on the manticore. the assassin models but they're not that bad. the noble and highborn figs-oh wait there aren't any. the black dragon doesn't look bad but it is really hard to construct without there being gaping bag gaps between parts. some of the new orc characters are just two wierd. I dont like the riders of kournos (sp?) all undead are really bad. The dark pegasus has really bat like wings. the steam tank looks horrible.

him_15
10-04-2007, 18:11
I also don't like the lizardmen hero on cold one.
The cold one is ok and the fur made from skaven corpse is very cool.
The weapon and helmet, however are very very bad.

Belerophon709
10-04-2007, 18:18
Plastic Chaos Warriors when trying to create a fluffy Slaaneshi force.

Arhalien
10-04-2007, 18:55
Yhetees, Treemen, Treekin, Chaos Trolls, Chaos Ogres are all the worst IMO. However I do not like the Skaven Clanrats with their flipper style feet, hopefully this will be sorted when they are redone.

So basically anything by Trish Morrison Hastings? :p
I'd second everything there but the treeman (I don't have a problem with it)

My vote would go to High Elf plastic Spearmen and archers, and Dark Elf Spearmen. I feel swordmasters are too static so I'd like them to change.

I'll have a think about some more and add them later.

kaimarion
10-04-2007, 19:05
chaos chariot.....chaos lords dragon and the blood thirster
chariot:its too old fashioned
dragon: too old fashioned
blood thirster: wings dont fit properly

DesertDirge
10-04-2007, 19:11
All of VC models (espeacially Vamps/Necros/direwovles)

Skaven.. just something off about them.

Tk skellies!!!

DE... could use a revamp... but if not just witches.

He.. all core troops

Ogres... yhetees and Gourgers!!!

LM... sallies

WE.. treemen/treekin

O&G.. wolves/boars/Orcs

gorenut
10-04-2007, 19:50
I really wished they made Kroxigors look like they do in the book. Thick and powerful.. not like my iguana while it's shedding skin.

Also, I think GW is really missing out on sculpting really good looking minotaurs. They're one of my favorite mythological creatures and if they were to release good minotaur models... I'd be sold on creating an army of them, or at the very least a beastman army.

Bloodknight
10-04-2007, 20:05
Most of the Trish Morrison stuff (I think the´s good at dragons, but not much else) as well as all Vampires and HWE archers, whoever had done them.

Cragspyder
10-04-2007, 20:06
Personally I think TK Carrion should be all bone, no meat. Though I guess they couldn't fly that way... but Warhammer is magic anyways!

I also don't like the Bone Giant, especially the stupid skull turban.

As far as my other army, Lizardmen, goes, I don't like the Cold One riders in the army book, though they have changed the model for the Cold One now. I still like the look of the old Skink-ridden Cold One better.

In fact, Lizardmen are a mixed bag for me. I like all the new core models (Saurus look better, especially the shields, and Skinks look better cause they have scales), but I dislike some of the new special models (the old Kroxigor and Salamanders were better, the Cameleon Skinks look stupid, the Cold One riders used to look stupid, and the Terradons and Stegadon are the same).

Despite my comments about TK they are my favourite model range in the game (though I like the look of the Wood Elf range as well).

Also, I hate all Beasts of Chaos models, every single one.

Chiron
10-04-2007, 20:25
Liche Priests

the new Ogres, or maybe thats just the whole greenish tinge paintjobs on em I keep seeing (fun fact, never actually played an OK army)

scarletsquig
10-04-2007, 20:33
The current Chaos Dwarf models are pretty horrible, I don't like the look of those big hats.

Harry
10-04-2007, 20:42
Can anybody tell me the point of a thraed like this?

75hastings69
10-04-2007, 22:05
Just another run of the mill moaning thread, although I suppose if anyone from GW is interested they could see what minis people aren't impressed by....

.. and do nothing.

I agree with Chiron on the Liche Priests, they could have been much better. I also don't like the current Empire general on Griffon and as many people have said the Manticore! that model has serious potential to be awesome!

Also LM Kroxigors, if they looked like the stuff that Rikard is working on they would rule!!!!

devolutionary
10-04-2007, 22:08
Chaos Trolls and the War Hydra. Most other stuff (including the Yhetees) I'm fine with.

willibob
10-04-2007, 22:19
i dislike the bone giants too and they look crap without sufficient bending and regluing of arms, aside form the cursing involved in this process...

also the one with skeletons on its head looks like its got a big ol' pineapple strung up there

and i have never liked the high elf dragon...

xiau
10-04-2007, 23:00
Let's see, Yhettees for a start, they look like Trolls with a mullet slapped on them, deffo bloodletters, just don't look as nasty as their description says, fell bats, can you say hideous? vc necromancers, what are they like 4th ed models now? and most things from dogs of war, just plain terrible imo

warboss48
10-04-2007, 23:04
I personaly dislike the dragon ogres. They just look horrible. Not the shaggoth though, that one is pretty good.

Marcel
10-04-2007, 23:10
the underside of the lizardmen. unfinished.
yhetees. minotaurs. dark elf characters.

skavenguy13
10-04-2007, 23:14
My post will probably exceed the character limit if I listed everything, but the main ones IMO are yheetees (heads) and clanrats (palms). That's just HORRIBLE.

Johnny Bravo
11-04-2007, 01:24
Can anybody tell me the point of a thraed like this?

Can anyone tell me the point of a post like this? :p

Personally, I can't stand the Bone Giants. And most of the Beastmen line.

Harry
11-04-2007, 05:30
Can anyone tell me the point of a post like this? :p

Personally, I can't stand the Bone Giants. And most of the Beastmen line.

As you ask (and not because I have any problem with your post over any other on this thread).

My point is...unless you explain what it is you don't like about a particular sculpt or indeed 'most of the beastman line' Its not very constructive. If you actually cared enough about it you (one) would take the time and the trouble to explain what it is you dislike about a sculpt or at least identify which minitures in a range it is you (one) might like to see redone otherwise all you are doing is shouting 'your crap' from the cheap seats and no one takes a blind bit of notice of your opinion.Good grief...this place is hard work sometimes.

HERE IS SOME OF WHAT I HAVE SAID ON THIS TOPIC IN THE PAST

"No on is saying you can not dislike a sculpt.
No one is even saying you can not come here and say you don't like it.
All I am saying is you can't just slag it off in a couple of words and give the sculptors the credit they deserve for the time, care and talent that has gone into its creation."

"I just think we should cut them some slack. Even on a bad day. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it on a forum but let us do it in an intelligent and fair minded way as you guys did expaling carefully why we were disappointed not in a glib, sarcastic way as others have. I think these artists, writers, sculptors have earned that we give them that much respect."

"My problem is when someone looks at six months work and takes the ****. Comes up with some smart **** remark or just says I think 'it stinks'. This simply is not fair. (You can not write off six months work with two words and be fair!) These guys are some of the best at what they do. They work with huge enthusiasm and try their very best to get it right sometimes under ludicrous design restrictions that you would not believe if I tried to describe them to you. Sometimes against all their instincts as artists and sculptors as to how they would do them given the creative freedom to do so."

AND FROM DR DEATH (Who is better with words than I am)

"This I wholeheartedly agree with. Critique and commentry is good but derogatory comments do not such make. Granted they are getting paid for it but none the less the sculpter has taken the time and invested themselves into creating the sculpts and so one should tread carefully and courteously around discarding that effort. I think people should analyse their complaints before presenting them so as to clarify the specific bad points of a model so those specifics can be challanged or agreed with".

Dr Death

Braad
11-04-2007, 07:18
I have a nice word in Dutch which I can not utter (it's not a bad word, most just wouldn't understand...) here, but Harry has a point...

I think liking or disliking a sculpt is mainly a matter of personal preference for the looks of the model.
I don't know hardly any recent sculpt of GW that I consider badly sculpted anyway, only differently sculpteed to what I or someone else would like.

Personally I don't like the (don't know if this is the right word...) skewed/sloping underjaws of the newest orc bosses. It makes them look a bit silly and I prefer the tougher look of a big boss that seems to be roaring his battlecry. Also the style of the new night goblins differs to much from those in my army already, so I take the old ones. But as I said, that's mainly a "style" thing, they are not badly made or so....

Frankly
11-04-2007, 08:36
Treemen.:o

Warlord Wyquix
11-04-2007, 09:45
For me:
Skaven Clanrats - feet and monkey hands
Ogre Yhettees - Just awefull all over
Treemen - Look like bits of 2x4 nailed together
Tomb Kings Bone Giant - Whats with the monkey head?
Dwarf "Longbeard" Masks - Fall apart, only useful as shoulder guards

Think thats all I've got at the moment

Cheers
W.W.

Arhalien
11-04-2007, 09:49
Treemen - Look like bits of 2x4 nailed together

Well it is supposed to be wood :p

Dark messiah
11-04-2007, 10:59
i have to say the new orc shaman is terrible
the 6th eddition shaman had a great expression and tons of character
a far cry from the toothless git of 7th ed

Mr. cheesy poof
11-04-2007, 11:26
I personally hate the current carrion (i have the old ones instead :) as well as the fleshhounds of khorne (smiling hell dogs anybody?). But worst of all has to be the strigoi vampires. They look like vody builders for the top half, and chickens from the lower. Just plain terrible.
Ian

Finnblood
11-04-2007, 12:27
Hmmm..

I like the Yhetees. Personally, only OK model I don't like is the Gorger and that's just my view on the particular creature. The sculpt is good, I just imagined a skinny ogre different...

Horrible minis include:
Many of the old vampires, especially Necrarchs are a lot worse quality than most of the Empire core troops. They are heroes for Gods' sake :cries:

Dragon Ogres and Minotaurs. Dragon Ogres really don't follow the fluff description (unlike the Shaggoth, which is a great model) they look like crossbreeds between retarded Romans and Disney dinosaurs. Minotaurs are awfully disproportioned. The head is HUGE! I'd like them to resemble the old plastic minotaurs more.

Plastic Rat Ogres. The models are a lot weaker quality than the metallic ones. I would have rather had the cast based on the metal ones.

Dragons. The Dragons all have a very silly pose. Zombie Dragon being maybe the worst.

Manticore could use a more realistic and detailed sculpt. The Hydra heads are really poorly positioned. Like he couldn't support them up or something.

The CD and Halfling models have all pretty horrible faces. Both could use a new range.

Also, some of the Dogs of War units don't really fall in line with the overall quality if Games Workshop.

The people at the casting workshops could also be more careful when making the casts. Some models, especially war machines have very ill-fitting parts. Not every gamer wants to spend lots of money on greenstuff and special tools just because GW sells poorly casted models.
---

Now, as an amateur sculptor, I know how hard it can be to sculpt miniatures (I frequently remove older models from my army) and that it is time consuming and one really needs to put effort into his work. Yet, when miniatures do get outdated, it would be fair to the consumers to make a new one. The River Trolls lasted age very nicely, but some other miniatures could really use replacement or some redoing.

Oky
11-04-2007, 18:34
Both... DE Sorceresses...
I find the model so ugly... And it drives me nuts...

Rider-Of-Kurnous
11-04-2007, 19:18
whats the matter with the treeman i think him and his treekin look absolutely awesome they are much better than the classic ones they didnt even look like trees

der_lex
11-04-2007, 22:04
I have to admit I don't like the treeman/treekin either. That's a shame too, otherwise I might've started a Wood Elf army instead of Empire.

What I dislike about them is that they don't look 'natural' enough. It looks, indeed, like they're hammered together, like some disturbing kind of wood golem. The Ent models from the LotR line are more what I would like to see...

As I said, I think it's a real shame, since the rest of the new wood elf line is absolutely stunning... but when you don't like your potential centerpiece for an army, it's a reason to pass it by and go for something else instead.

szlachcic
11-04-2007, 22:09
harpies. the beastmaster on the manticore. the assassin models but they're not that bad. the noble and highborn figs-oh wait there aren't any. the black dragon doesn't look bad but it is really hard to construct without there being gaping bag gaps between parts. some of the new orc characters are just two wierd. I dont like the riders of kournos (sp?) all undead are really bad. The dark pegasus has really bat like wings. the steam tank looks horrible.

I actually think the manticore looks much better than the black dragon. The beastmaster riding the manticore isn't so great, but I have actually grown to like the manitcore. At least it is much better than the one that VCs had in 5th edition, damn that thing was ugly and had huge buck teeth. I am suprised you say the steam tank looks horrible, are you sure you aren't talking about the old one. I think the current steam tank is one of my favorite models for empire and has a lot of cool details on it.

Bortus
11-04-2007, 23:36
I wish they would redo the Kroxigors and the Dark Elf War Hydra! Yuck!!!

Paulus
12-04-2007, 00:08
I personally don't care for the Chaos Ogre's, these are probably my least favourite mini's of all time (when compared with the standard of other mini's GW were producing at the time).

To me they just look far to block shaped & not as smoothly crafted as other mini's.

I hope that makes sense! :eyebrows:

Rider-Of-Kurnous
12-04-2007, 15:03
I have to admit I don't like the treeman/treekin either. That's a shame too, otherwise I might've started a Wood Elf army instead of Empire.

What I dislike about them is that they don't look 'natural' enough. It looks, indeed, like they're hammered together, like some disturbing kind of wood golem. The Ent models from the LotR line are more what I would like to see...

As I said, I think it's a real shame, since the rest of the new wood elf line is absolutely stunning... but when you don't like your potential centerpiece for an army, it's a reason to pass it by and go for something else instead.

I cant remember where i heard this but loads of people complained when the ents came out that they looked too much like the treeman and treekin![dice0][dice1]

Franco
12-04-2007, 15:07
I dont really like them aswell. They are ok but they need inproving. But this isn't going to happen because they have only just updated them!!!

Follower of Zork
12-04-2007, 15:31
Treemen, Chaos Trolls, Chaos Ogres, Skaven Clanrats, Dwarf Hammerers, Daemon Princes and most of all Rat Ogres, all need a redue

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
12-04-2007, 18:11
what's wrong with clanrats? clanrats look great!

Franco
12-04-2007, 18:37
And i think the ogres look good aswell!!!
The rat ogres that is, the chaos ogres look stupid.

ZeroTwentythree
12-04-2007, 19:10
I'm going to be the dissenter and mention that I like the new treeman, and think that it's better than the previous ones. My main complaint (re: the treekin, too) is the goofy "tongue" thing makes it look like a dog with its head out the car window.

I'd nominate the older oversized skaven done by Maurader (currently all but the globadiers and WFT have been retired out of the range), the stormvermin, the "punched in the mouth" heads from the new Empire plastics, the bone giant (the scorpion is pretty ugly too). I hadn't really looked at the VC figures until I read all the comments here, but yeah, they're pretty ***** as well. In fact, the VC range seems to rival the Skaven in terms of how badly the range needs redone.

Also, I think most of the previous Greater Daemons were better than the current ones. (I don't understand why they replaced all the heads. :wtf: )

ZeroTwentythree
12-04-2007, 19:12
Rat Ogres? The new ones look decent, they just take way too much modeling to hide all the joints between all the bits. If you're good with the greenstuff, I think they're really nice figures. They're just not great for beginners or those who don't want to spend all the extra time on them.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
12-04-2007, 19:46
I just assembeled my treeman he has loads of different parts so he is a pain to glue but i think he looks brilliant!!!!

Asrai Wraith
13-04-2007, 14:00
Games Workshop need to redo the Malekith model. The man on the front cover of the Dark Elves book looks so much better than the model in a dragon.