PDA

View Full Version : New Player; Help on Blitzkreig List (EDITED)

Akira
11-04-2007, 00:52
Hey guys

I am a player of 40k and now I am starting an IG Epic army. It focuses on Titans and Tanks to blow a hole in enemy lines, which they (LR tank comp.) will pour through along with any other formations, while the infantry attack the front lines to sandwich the enemy:

Total: 3000 pts.

Leman Russ Tank Company:
9 LRs
1 Vanq.

3 Hydras

Leman Russ Tank Company:
9 LRs
1 Vanq.

3 Hydras

Regimental Command:
60 Guardsmen (12 Stands)
Supreme Command Unit (1 Officer Stand)

7 Chimeras

Mechanized Infantry Company:
60 Guardsmen (12 Stands)
Command Unit (1 Officer Stand)

7 chimeras

2 Warhound Titans

what do you think?

how can I use this to resemble blitzkreig and still be competitive?

Hena
11-04-2007, 04:33
Few comments.

1. You can have each upgrade only once, so the infantry companies can't be that large.
2. In most games you really want the Supreme Commander, especially with IG as they have initiative 2+. So switching one company to HQ would be advisable.
3. Artillery company can be useful, but also it's a sucker for air assaults or anything similar. be careful on it's use.
4. You have three BTS (Break Their Spirit) goals. Hydra to one the Leman Russ companies (or artillery company) would help out in that and give them some additional anti air protection.

Akira
11-04-2007, 04:48
sorry about that. I misread.

firestorm40k
11-04-2007, 07:11
Echoing what Hena has advised, I'd say rather than taking the Hydras as support, put one on each Tank & Infantry formation as support. The current size of the infantry companies is fine.

You could do with some Thunderbolts, as Hydras aren't quite enough Anti-Aircraft protection I've found, plus you can hassle your opponents' soft ground targets, such as Artillery as Hena points out.

It is difficult in E:A to get the balance between having a themed/'fluff-y' list and one which is competitive; but I can't see why, with practice, you'd get this devastatingly effective. :) :cool:

StugMeister
11-04-2007, 13:03
I say stick with themed lists - we play the game for fun not competitiveness!

For example, I know I could do with having more armour, AA and air support in my Siegemaster army but I prefer to stick with the infantry steamroller.

Akira
11-04-2007, 13:11
So blitzkreig tactics don't work in epic.:(

CELS
11-04-2007, 16:41
Oh, I'd say they can, from my limited experience. But remember that you need to accomplish more than one mission objective. If you want to spearhead your way through the enemy lines, you may achieve the blitzkrieg objective by taking the objective on your opponent's table edge. That's one goal down. Then you need at least one more to win. If your enemy's most valuable formation is a slow one, you might try a 'Break Their Spirit'. If your enemy is more mobile, like the Eldar or Tau, then this might not work.

I tried the blitzkrieg tactic a few days ago with a similar armylist. Two Leman Russ companies, two Hydra batteries, one stormtrooper platoon and a Reaver Titan. My opponent played a Tau list with lots of anti-tank weapons. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that the Bell of Lost Souls tolled once on Terra and a black candle was lit :)

Hena
11-04-2007, 18:09
Depends on how you define blitzkrieg. In a way the simplest way to do the required two conditions is Blitzkrieg and Take and Hold. As you can do take and hold with blitz objective and one other. To my experience, those are most often done.

For batrep with two tank companies see this.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67844

For that list, I'd put one group of Hydras into the others as firestorm said and take a Thunderbolt formation instead of the other. But you need to try to play the game and see what kind of troop allocation works best for you. Epic in general allows pretty wide troop selection to be useful and competitive.

Akira
12-04-2007, 02:27
Blitz as in:

1) something to hold the line (3 infantry companies)

2) a lot of points in formations that focus one one tiny point and annihilate it before the enemy can respond (Titans, SH Tanks, bombers, barrages)

3) something to pour in the gap and is fast, light, but powerful and numerous: (rough riders, 2-3 Mech. Inf. companies, Hellhounds)

orangesm
12-04-2007, 03:28
I have my Hydras embedded, also while you have 2 Titans you have nothing to go after war engines, which could be a bad thing for you.

Hena
12-04-2007, 04:38
Blitz as in:

1) something to hold the line (3 infantry companies)

2) a lot of points in formations that focus one one tiny point and annihilate it before the enemy can respond (Titans, SH Tanks, bombers, barrages)

3) something to pour in the gap and is fast, light, but powerful and numerous: (rough riders, 2-3 Mech. Inf. companies, Hellhounds)
You can't fit very much stuff into 3k. But here's a possibility

500 Req HQ (3)
050 Hydra
650 Tank Company (2,3)
050 Hydra
250 Infantry Company (1)
100 Fire Support Platoon
250 Infantry Company (1)
100 Fire Support Platoon
250 Artillery Battery: Manticore (2)
200 Deathstrike Battery (2)
200 Super Heavy Tank: Shadowsword (2)
150 Thunderbolts (2 + AA defence)

Alternative1: Baneblade (1) + Snipers/Ogryns to one Infantry Company
Alternative2: Sentinels (3) + Rough Riders (3)

Akira
12-04-2007, 23:07
thanks, I'll go with that -

spreading epic - got someone to play epic in my area