PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting

corsair_01
11-04-2007, 06:54
I have Finally decided to start an Empire army
Im asking for help on how to start this army,
I have and empire general on foot and mounted but wat else do i need?
i plan on getting my twoo core choices soon
so any other information would be great

snurl
11-04-2007, 08:08
Buy the Battalion box and an army book for starters.
The Battalion box has more figures in it than you would get if you bought them in individual boxed sets.

Talonz
12-04-2007, 02:55
State troops and cannons. So in that respect a battalion box or 2 is a good start.

blahblahblah
12-04-2007, 05:50
see if anyone still has the empire models from the 6th edition boxed set, they might be willing to part with them relatively cheap and it would give you handgunners, spearmen, cannon/mortar and mounted character.

TheWarSmith
12-04-2007, 05:56
The problem with getting multiple Empire Batallions is that you end up with units that you probably wouldn't want to run too many multiples of.

With 2 Batallions, you'd have 16 knights(which is a lot), 2 cannons, and 10 pistolier/outriders(which most people would say is about 2x the needful).

I'd buy a Batallion, and a couple state troop boxes to get your blocks of infantry.

Hold off on buying wizards and flagellants for now, as there are nice looking plastics coming out for them this summer.

lorelorn
12-04-2007, 06:47
Tactical Considerations
Once you have an idea of the army you would like to take, consider your broad tactical leanings. Don't worry about details at this stage, just think in generalities. Do you want to charge in and fight as soon as possible, or stand back and shoot from a distance? Many of the Warhammer armies are deep enough to let you do either, or a mix if you prefer. Your leanings will determine the units you'll want to choose.

Your first purchase
Your first purchase should be the book for the army you have chosen. Each army in Warhammer has its own book, giving you full details of every unit you can take. Reading through the book, in light of your tactical preferences will give you an idea of the kind of army you would like to take.

Your first, second, third List
It's now time to write some army lists. Write some lists for your army to the points value you expect to be playing. Don't just write one, write many, and see what you like and dislike about each list. You can actually do this before buying the army book, either by using the in store copies on a Games Workshop store, or by borrowing from friends. Get feedback on your army lists.

Once you have a good idea of what units you would like to take, and in what numbers, you can start making your first purchases.

Rodman49
12-04-2007, 07:27
I'd agree with most of the other posters. Get the army book and Battalion box. From there make a 500 pt warband list.

After that get you some characters and more infantry to make a 1000 pt list.