PDA

View Full Version : UK Store's new 'Freepost Weekly'.

Jedi152
11-04-2007, 14:29
Has anyone else seen this? Linkage! (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=302031&orignav=302031)

A new link on the store front page leads to a selection of items, buying any of which will make your order totally post free!

It claims that the site will update to new items every monday morning - the currents ones are: O&G boar chariot; plastic Balrog; plastic Rhino kit; and the hobby starter set.

It seems a pretty good deal to me ... obviously they're hoping people will buy that one extra thing to make their order post free, which could work. Postage is a fixed 4, but if you need a rhino or whatever anyway it's pretty good.

So what do people think?

**EDIT** It seems to have replaced 'The Vault' which was pretty dire as it was never updated, and the stuff was available in the shop anyway.

McMullet
11-04-2007, 14:42
Interesting... of course there is a potential problem here, that people will end up waiting for the one thing they want to appear on the list. :p

It's only been 5 years... maybe the Gaunt box will be there next week.

Still, it makes the online store seem a bit more reasonable, especially for bits.

Bombot
11-04-2007, 14:48
I think it’s a very good idea.

t-tauri
11-04-2007, 15:08
It's a decent idea by someone in marketing. It certainly makes that bits order a little easier to achieve as you don't get stung as much for the 4 postage as that more or less makes up for the 10-20% discount on your freepost item you'd get by buying from an internet discounter.

Obviously the last few freepost deals they've had have worked well.

rrchristensen
11-04-2007, 15:43
Lame.

Excuse me, but come ON. They drop their outrageous shipping charges if you buy more, from a restricted range of items, at full cost?

I'd rather buy elsewhere and get a discount and cheap shipping. I can still buy the same Rhino, say, IN THE UNITED STATES (NOTE my location) at a nice discount AND get cheaper shipping than 4 even though it's across the bloody Atlantic. Even though I'm paying for shipping it still works out cheaper than the GW deal.

And let's not even go into the fact that I actually pay 8 shipping from GW. And I'm guessing I won't be getting free postage ever.

richred_uk
11-04-2007, 17:21
My guess is that they are looking for ways to creatively compete with online sellers. They can't offer a discount because that would devalue the goods and bring down what they get in their own shops as well as what independents would pay them, so postage is a way of hiding discounts. Same with direct only models, it's a way to compete with the lure of hefty discounts elsewhere.

Personally I'd like to see them starting some sort of loyalty scheme to do this too.

t-tauri
11-04-2007, 17:34
Excuse me, but come ON. They drop their outrageous shipping charges if you buy more, from a restricted range of items, at full cost?
I don't think anyone's disputing that. The advantage to those of us in the UK is that we can basically get bits freepost if we buy something on that freepost list. That item will cost us slightly more than buying from an internet discounter but it offsets the postage.

It's not great but it may be more convenient and cheaper for some of us than a bits order into the nearest store.

Huw_Dawson
11-04-2007, 18:35
Yet another example that GW arn't as dumb as they are likened to be. Plus, I'm starting an Orcs and Goblins soon, so the fact that one of them is a boar chariot is nice. :)

Nice to see that GW are listening to the market - bearing in mind that if your buying off eBay... your buying off eBay. At least with the online store, you are always getting exactly what you paid for, plus the great customer support, so when you discover that half your order looks like it's a large blob of plastic, which can happen with any plastic item you buy, you can return it. :p

- Huw

god octo
11-04-2007, 18:42
That good, but I doubt that as a WH player, I will find much that I could buy.

kaimarion
11-04-2007, 18:48
why dont they have a points syestem like GAME's(the store)were you get reward points from buy from them instore and on the internet.

Dragonreaver
11-04-2007, 19:06
Because that costs a lot more to implement?

Horus84
11-04-2007, 19:57
because it not need. GW is a highly specilised niche market. It not liek your averge run of the mill high street retail store.

Customers don't need insentive like loyalty schemes etc.. to keep coming back - people return to GW store because they want to get something, they want to game or like the whole community aspect of GW as a whole.

Similarly, GW dose'nt or rearly offers discount on it's products becasue of too things. Firstly, all the stock stored in shops it not change every months - it can take a very long time for models to get updated. Secondly, if they did sales then it would devalue the product to both the cusomers who bought them straight away and to GW. That's why pretty much all retail store are trapped in a constant cycle of sale after sale; i.e. easter, may holidays, spring sales, summer sales etc.... Customers wait until the sales come along. How often have you gone into somewhere and brought something to fun out a week later it is half the price? and how gutted have you felt?

Vaktathi
11-04-2007, 20:58
is it just me or are the feepost items, once converted to US currency, grossly overpriced?

a rhino at 18 BPS is equal to $34.56-$4.56 more than the US online store Rhino (and $9.56 more than many online retailers and storefront discounts)

the Baelrog is 35 BPS, $67.2 US after conversion, yet only $40 on the US online store.

what is up with that?

t-tauri
11-04-2007, 21:03
Horus84, that's the company line almost verbatim. I first heard that from a manager years ago and I still find it amusing.
How often have you gone into somewhere and brought something to fun out a week later it is half the price? and how gutted have you felt?It happens all the time in HMV and Virgin and every other shop. It's just one of those things.

I've never felt better spending money in a GW then getting 3 for 2 in a sale or grovelling through a box of 1 each blisters picking out loads. If GW want to compete for sales with internet retailers then they need to get people spending money in the local GW as well as direct. The only things I ever buy in GW are limited edition stuff and black library paper backs. The local staff are shocked when my wallet appears. All my spend is on the internet or with forgeworld.

Sales get people in the shops. Binning excess stock is in my opinion silly and wasteful. People don't buy sales stuff instead of other purchases, they buy it as well as other purchases. I've still got a skaven army in blisters and boxes I bought when they had the sale for the transfer from lead to white metal. Didn't really want them but the price was right and GW got some money for them rather than bunging them in a landfill.

james1225
11-04-2007, 22:12
Lol their not listening to the customer they are exploting them, You can still get their products at 20% and free p&p and they dam well know this and want to do their best to bring the custom to them instead, where they make a nice fat profit.

Ivan Stupidor
11-04-2007, 23:04
Lol their not listening to the customer they are exploting them, You can still get their products at 20% and free p&p and they dam well know this and want to do their best to bring the custom to them instead, where they make a nice fat profit.

Let me get this straight. Games Workshop is offering free shipping on your order if you buy certain items, and you're arguing that this makes them more evil?

Jedi152
11-04-2007, 23:06
why dont they have a points syestem like GAME's(the store)were you get reward points from buy from them instore and on the internet.
Don't get me started!

I believe (and have stated so on several occasions) that a loyalty card scheme would be just what GW need to help bring sales back in from eBay and independents.

Skullz was a good start, but was limited. Making it on all purchases would bring more people back to the core stores. Maybe a point for every pound spent, and 100 gets you a 10 voucher or something.

Let me get this straight. Games Workshop is offering free shipping on your order if you buy certain items, and you're arguing that this makes them more evil?
People round here will say anything to claim that! :p

James - Look at it this way: You are buying for your marine army. You plan to buy infantry this month, and vehicles next month. You put 30 odd worth of stuff in the basket, and are about to add the p&p. Then you notice this offer and so bring the purchase of a rhino forward to this month, and save p&p. Yes, you've spend an extra 15 (or whatever, can't bothered to check) to save 4, but you were going to spend it anyway next month AND get lumbered with 4 shipping both months.

How is it evil?

james1225
12-04-2007, 00:06
Dont remember saying evil lol, I just said they were trying to bring more custom to them and not other stocklists.

Bael
12-04-2007, 03:02
Sales get people in the shops. Binning excess stock is in my opinion silly and wasteful. People don't buy sales stuff instead of other purchases, they buy it as well as other purchases. I've still got a skaven army in blisters and boxes I bought when they had the sale for the transfer from lead to white metal. Didn't really want them but the price was right and GW got some money for them rather than bunging them in a landfill.
This is very true. I have 2 trays of unopened old blisters from old GW sales that I convinced myself I would one day get round to painting at the time of purchase. My LGS here regularly discounts any discontinued blisters and boxes (including some splash release items) at 30%. I popped in there for a couple of paints the other day and ended up walking out with a Wood Elf army box because it was 40% off. It's still sitting untouched under my stairs.

Darknight
12-04-2007, 03:13
Has anyone not considered the fact that GW make more profit by selling a product at an indy than through their own stores or mail order?

Bear in mind all you have to do is ship that stuff - you don't have to store it, no brick and mortar store, no shop assistants . . . .

Seriously - GW want people to spend more money in indy stores, but they want to keep the bits market for themselves.

Wildkard
12-04-2007, 09:18
This is very true. I have 2 trays of unopened old blisters from old GW sales that I convinced myself I would one day get round to painting at the time of purchase. My LGS here regularly discounts any discontinued blisters and boxes (including some splash release items) at 30%. I popped in there for a couple of paints the other day and ended up walking out with a Wood Elf army box because it was 40% off. It's still sitting untouched under my stairs.

I think everyone has done that at some point! I have about 20 unopened blisters of Dechala the Denied One that I got from a sale for next to nothing! (I think at the point I was planning on making a unit of daemonettes out of them or something) And also an entire pike army that yet again cost me nothing and I have never touched! GW sales were great..mainly because you bought stupid amounts of models that you would never normally buy for no reason other than they were cheap!! Bring back sales! :D

gjnoronh
12-04-2007, 09:51
I think it's a great idea. It's amazing how the option of free post for those folk who were ALREADY buying from the GW online store is the cause of more gripes. . .

scarletsquig
12-04-2007, 09:54
Bizzare to only have 4 items reduced a week.

Should be interesting to see what isn't selling well though... I'm assuming that's how they're picking the weekly specials, although on the other hand I can't really see why the SM Rhino wouldn't be selling well.

Jedi152
12-04-2007, 10:22
I was wondering if they should increase it to one item per army or something, but i guess that's a little too much post free.

I can get free mail orders anyway by simply walking into the store, but this is a good deal for me - it's much easier to simply click a few buttons and have it delivered to your door.

asmodai_dark86
12-04-2007, 10:31
In practice though it works out at roughly the same costs, as Rhinos got for around 12 quid if you shop around. Add another two pound for shipping and I've saved 4 quid.

If I buy the rhino through GW to get a bits saving then I pay an extra four quid from the usual to have it shipped from GW, so in terms of the rhino kit there isnt a saving to be had overall...

In all honesty, if your making such a large bits order that you want it free then as Jedi152 points out its free in store. As far as I'm concerned you deserve to pay over the odds if you havent got the sense to save yourself some money.

Exterminatus
12-04-2007, 10:31
Anyone remember the big lead miniature sale? All miniatures were 25% to 50% discount because they would dump the miniatures anyway for the new metal ones. I bought loads and loads that day :D

Huw_Dawson
12-04-2007, 10:51
I'm confused why American gamers are complaining that this isn't actually a saving for them... considering their buying from a shop on the other side of the atlantic, it's not neccesarily going to be the best value for money...

- Huw

EDIT: Yoop! I just noticed I'm past post 200! :D

richred_uk
12-04-2007, 11:23
I can get free mail orders anyway by simply walking into the store,

Have they dropped the 2 that they used to charge for mail order into stores? If so that's great and I'll start using the system a bit more.

Can you order the direct only modles this way too?

Jedi152
12-04-2007, 11:24
The charge might still apply to normal stores, but my local is Warhammer World ... you can make orders and they go and get it for you in about 15 minutes, and yes you can order direct only models this way.

But as i say, i've no idea about the charge to normal stores.

DarthSte
12-04-2007, 17:02
The four choices seem a bit odd, but clearly it is one from each major game system and a hobby item for those that don't collect orcs, Moria or one of the 50 or so 40K armies that could take a Rhino.
I like it, think it is a good idea. I always used to check in the pre-order section if anything was coming out in the next couple of weeks that I wanted, just to knock 2 off the postage. So I'd probably use it.

warmasterbond
12-04-2007, 17:26
Have they dropped the 2 that they used to charge for mail order into stores? If so that's great and I'll start using the system a bit more.

Its never been 2 in the UK at least, its 1 and free for mail orders of 25 or over.

Like the idea of this personally, although I feel that how succesful it will be will depend if they stick to changing the offer items weekly or not.

Bombot
12-04-2007, 17:46
Should be interesting to see what isn't selling well though... I'm assuming that's how they're picking the weekly specials, although on the other hand I can't really see why the SM Rhino wouldn't be selling well.

I don't think they'll only go for stuff no-one wants, or it doesn't achieve anything.

The idea is to get people using their direct channel and so saving GW the margin they would have 'paid' to the discount retailer that the customer might otherwise have used.

Vaktathi
13-04-2007, 01:38
I'm confused why American gamers are complaining that this isn't actually a saving for them... considering their buying from a shop on the other side of the atlantic, it's not neccesarily going to be the best value for money...

- Huw

EDIT: Yoop! I just noticed I'm past post 200! :D

if you were referring to my post I was remarking on the item cost difference, not the shipping cost. mainly I was asking why a Baelrog was twice as much in the UK as it is in the US?

RavenMorpheus
15-04-2007, 04:00
Seems to me that GW aren't losing any money at all this way and in fact are ripping people of even more.

You'll plan to buy something, when you need a Rhino for example and a Rhino won't be on "the list". Therefore you'll have to pay the postage.

Guess what says the GW online store/staff on the phone - your "postage for free item" was on last weeks item list, this weeks item list is (insert product names here)

GW aren't going to compete with the online retailers full-stop unless they reduce the prices of their products, they can't really reduce postage costs unless royal mail/parcel force, fedex or whoever they use drop their prices so the only other way they can do it is to have a wholesale sale, and that ain't gonna happen.

People won't buy something they don't want just to save a few /$, I wouldn't anyway.

Binky
16-04-2007, 15:32
if you were referring to my post I was remarking on the item cost difference, not the shipping cost. mainly I was asking why a Baelrog was twice as much in the UK as it is in the US?

There have always been price differences between the UK and US, some things cost more, some things less, plus the US dollar is at a pretty low value at the moment which makes the difference even more noticeable (it's great for importing HD-DVDs from the US though)

Vaktathi
17-04-2007, 05:23
There have always been price differences between the UK and US, some things cost more, some things less, plus the US dollar is at a pretty low value at the moment which makes the difference even more noticeable (it's great for importing HD-DVDs from the US though)

yeah, I know, but its wierd because usually items from the UK are more expensive in the US than vice versa, definitley was not expecting such price differentials there is all.