PDA

View Full Version : Heat 40k edition

simonjedi
11-04-2007, 21:23
Not heat magazine in the 41st millenium, or the temperature of [planet] but any celebrity players of the game?

i know Robin Williams does

he also plays the tabletop wargame Warhammer 40,000

he does 'nds iirc,

might as well tell me the fb,lotr and spec games while your there

Glennie
11-04-2007, 21:45
Billy Crystal, I hear.

ducki3x
11-04-2007, 22:21
Back in the day, I heard from a buddy who's a movie nut (but not a gamer) that many many hours were spent by Williams & Crystal on the set of Father's Day playing WH...

Horus84
11-04-2007, 23:41
well Vin Disel is a big D&D gamer; so would not be surprised if he plays or has played GW at some point. Also Christopher Lee plays WFB and eirely, considering the roles he has played in film, collect Undead.

Rhamag
12-04-2007, 00:00
Steve Davis (UK snooker legend) plays LotR, this I know from a chance comment he made on They Think It's All Over, about painting orcs.

Irondog
12-04-2007, 05:03

I've seen the guy in my local indie game store here in San Francisco. I'm not sure if he goes to the GW store though (the indie is closer to his house).

JT-Y
12-04-2007, 06:34
Apparently Angelina Jollie used to have a pro painted Eldar army.

And Shawn Bean showed a passing interest after seeing the Boromir figure.

There are loads I've heard tell of over the years, not just GW games but historicals as well, but those are the only ones I can remember offhand...
I'll check with a mate and post some more though.

dodicula
12-04-2007, 07:13
I've seen the guy in my local indie game store here in San Francisco. I'm not sure if he goes to the GW store though (the indie is closer to his house).

I keep hearing he shows up at gamescape, but despite spending time there, I have never seen him there. WHat races does he plan?

de Selby
12-04-2007, 11:02
Paddy Considine collects LOTR, according to an old interview in EMPIRE magazine.

Hagraz
12-04-2007, 14:16
john tickle,
and the misfits ( its a band :p )

Jedi152
12-04-2007, 14:20
I love Jon Tickle - what system does he play?

kortholaxthedamned
12-04-2007, 16:05
I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Jackson played a GW game, as he's quite involved with the Perry brothers.

Also, any links to a list of celebs? I'd like to see a whole list which isn't just 'I heard that..played...'

Rhamag
12-04-2007, 23:54
Surely Korn must have been GW players at some time?

Grimtuff
12-04-2007, 23:57

Why, because of the name? For all you know they may really like farming or be avid cinema goers. ;)

Karnage
13-04-2007, 00:05
Jonathan Davis was on record as playing World of Warcraft at least during 2005, and I have seen several players at my local store (including myself) who both play that MMORPG and still play GW games, so who knows....although I don't suppose that WOULD leave much time for that music gig on the side he does :P

Rhamag
13-04-2007, 01:18
Why, because of the name? For all you know they may really like farming or be avid cinema goers. ;)

Well, I was all set to post all mocking and indignant-like, but then a Google has revealed that I am suffering from "false memories". :eek: I would even have sworn someone told me one of their albums or similar has "Bud for the Bud God" in it somewhere. :o

At least that's one fact I can update in my head. Cheers Grimtuff!

Keravin
13-04-2007, 08:49
Peter Jackson plays historical I think. He's certainly had figures made for him.

Gaebriel
13-04-2007, 09:32
Also, any links to a list of celebs? I'd like to see a whole list which isn't just 'I heard that..played...'
There is none - mainly for the reason one couldn't freely add one's own favourite celebrity if there was :p

Seriously, I don't think anyone ever compiled an official list, there are only names that surface repetitively every time this question is asked.

Vin Diesel's D&D interest is kinda official because it is stated in a printed interview.

I can add Wil Wheaton and Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones (who are said to have played Warhammer on the set of Man in Black).

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
13-04-2007, 17:59
I'm suprised that all the LOTR actors dont play, they should, after all how often is it that you get you play with a fig of yourself!

Brinnyunlimited
13-04-2007, 18:23
I'm suprised that all the LOTR actors dont play, they should, after all how often is it that you get you play with a fig of yourself!

You should know, Dark Lord of Naggaroth.

Angelina Jolie plays Eldar. That's the funniest thing I've ever read.

Multifarious
14-04-2007, 00:46
One of the princes of the UAE plays/played. What does the thread title mean anyway? "Heat 40k edition"?

Karnage
14-04-2007, 01:04
Heat is the name of some celebrity dirtsheet-style magazine in the UK. The OP seems to have made this with the idea of identifying celebrities and/or wellknown people who play Games Workshop games.

Multifarious
14-04-2007, 11:40
Oh, embarrassingly I am in the UK and didn't actually know that. Thanks.

Karnage
14-04-2007, 11:52
Trust me, I wish I could live in such blissful ignorance of the magazine too :P

BodhiTree
14-04-2007, 22:49
I'm pretty sure Will Smith plays as well. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I believe that in Enemy Of The State, the plastic bags he brings into his house from Christmas Shopping are old GW bags. I was pretty sure there was a strategic placement of White Dwarf as well. I might be wrong though, I need to sit down and watch it again.

Edit:

I can add Wil Wheaton and Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones (who are said to have played Warhammer on the set of Man in Black).

Whoops, missed that, sorry. But still, if anyone has Enemy Of The State on DVD, check it out and see if it's true. :)

ankara halla
14-04-2007, 23:36
While Mr. Smith migh indeed enjoy this hobby of ours, I need to point out that most of the props in movie/TV scenes of any kind of budget (and set in "real" life) are product placements where the stars of the shows have no say (nor usually intrest...) what is placed where.

Granted, GW is such a niche that it might indeed indicate an actors/directors/camera-mans fondness of the hobby, but it's no accident that for example many, many movies/shows feature Tolomeos in them... (if you don't know what it is, good for you... seriously, I used to sell those pieces of **** to pay myself thru college).

Point being that a mag or bag anywhere isn't usually an indication of anything :)

RavenMorpheus
15-04-2007, 04:16
Not heat magazine in the 41st millenium, or the temperature of [planet] but any celebrity players of the game?

he does 'nds iirc,

might as well tell me the fb,lotr and spec games while your there

Bryan May of Queen's son used to or still does, that's the reason why Bryan May bought GW shares - not sure that counts though.

And does RW really play a GW game or is that something he's been quoted as saying to boost his popularity?

TheWarSmith
15-04-2007, 06:51

Korn were a bunch of LOSERS in high school, and not the cool gaming kind.

reds8n
15-04-2007, 12:16
And does RW really play a GW game or is that something he's been quoted as saying to boost his popularity?

:D :D . Funniest thing I've read in ages. Boost your popularity through......................warhammer. You're beatiful man.

and @topic : Batfish, Bolt thrower etc all used to play....
....not really famous as such, but , hey they released records and such.

although you'll have to be an old git like me to remember them being in WD. ...and the free Flexi disc:evilgrin:

RavenMorpheus
15-04-2007, 19:38
:D :D . Funniest thing I've read in ages. Boost your popularity through......................warhammer. You're beatiful man.

and @topic : Batfish, Bolt thrower etc all used to play....
....not really famous as such, but , hey they released records and such.

although you'll have to be an old git like me to remember them being in WD. ...and the free Flexi disc:evilgrin:

Yeah well a lot of "celebs" say these things to boost their popularity with a minority of people who aren't into their music.

Bolt Thrower, D-Rok used be on GW's short lived record lable - I must be an old git as well lol :D

Brandir
15-04-2007, 20:05
I doubt very much that there are many 'celebrities' that would say they played Warhammer to boost their popularity. Lets face it wargaming and rpging are both regarded as a bit of a geeky hobby.

Some famous dads and mums (such as the world's greatest guitarist Brian May) might be caught in the shops because of their kids.

But what counts as 'famous'? An appearance on a reality telly show? Infamy after being exposed as some evil criminal mastermind? Slept with a famous person? Related to a famous person?

I was interviewed for a BBC documentary a few years ago. Must of had 5 mins or so on screen time as well as about 5 mins or so of me doing my job as the cameras was following me - although they did seem to take hours of film!. Does that make me a famous person?

It must do as I have subsequently written a few articles for a national magazine and been a Five Live 'expert' during a couple of discussion programmes! All these 'extras' based on producers/editors seeing my ugly mug on the telly.

So, add 'Brandir' to this list of famous people who play wargames!

RavenMorpheus
15-04-2007, 20:19
I doubt very much that there are many 'celebrities' that would say they played Warhammer to boost their popularity. Lets face it wargaming and rpging are both regarded as a bit of a geeky hobby.

Some famous dads and mums (such as the world's greatest guitarist Brian May) might be caught in the shops because of their kids.

But what counts as 'famous'? An appearance on a reality telly show? Infamy after being exposed as some evil criminal mastermind? Slept with a famous person? Related to a famous person?

I was interviewed for a BBC documentary a few years ago. Must of had 5 mins or so on screen time as well as about 5 mins or so of me doing my job as the cameras was following me - although they did seem to take hours of film!. Does that make me a famous person?

It must do as I have subsequently written a few articles for a national magazine and been a Five Live 'expert' during a couple of discussion programmes! All these 'extras' based on producers/editors seeing my ugly mug on the telly.

So, add 'Brandir' to this list of famous people who play wargames!

I must be famous as well then I got 4 mentions when requesting a song on TotalRock.com the other day lol :D

And "celebs" will do/say anything if it brings in the /$ - look at Jade Goody, nuff said.

I don't see as it matters which "celebs" play GW games or any other similar types of games - it doesn't influence what I play, but I suppose with "celebs" saying I play 40k etc, the games get out to a wider audience and thus become less geeky?

Matt_Windu
15-04-2007, 20:30
Also Christopher Lee plays WFB and eirely, considering the roles he has played in film, collect Undead.

Please please, please tell me this is true. If this is true than....damn it, it's just makes Christopher just about cool enough to be God.

JT-Y
15-04-2007, 20:34
Apparently Chgristopher Lee plays a few wargames, as I've heard his name mentioned in relation before.

@Brinnyunlimited, I didn't say Angelina Jolie played Eldar, but that she owns a pro-painted army.
The two are not always the same thing;)

RavenMorpheus
15-04-2007, 20:34
Please please, please tell me this is true. If this is true than....damn it, it's just makes Christopher just about cool enough to be God.

I can see Christopher Lee playing chess, but I can't picture him playing WFB for some reason, would be pretty cool to think one day you could have a game against him though.

Olith
16-04-2007, 00:24
I must be famous as well then I got 4 mentions when requesting a song on TotalRock.com the other day lol :D

And "celebs" will do/say anything if it brings in the /$ - look at Jade Goody, nuff said.

I don't see as it matters which "celebs" play GW games or any other similar types of games - it doesn't influence what I play, but I suppose with "celebs" saying I play 40k etc, the games get out to a wider audience and thus become less geeky?

The celebs that are definate players of GWs games arent that sort of celeb. They are famous for having a talent and aren't those who milk their fame. There was a recent More4 interview with Williams, I only caught a small part sadly, where he talked about wargaming, and you could tell it was a part of his life (repeated Wednesday the 9th of May at 9pm if anyone is interested).

kaimarion
16-04-2007, 12:26
Marlin Manson(cant remember his real)name used to play wargames dont know if he does now.

netronelson
17-04-2007, 11:10
er - ok, back on topic...

How about famous parents? - anyone know any of them? seen famous people in your local GW store buying stuff for their kids?

I saw Jet off of the Gladiators years ago in Meadowhall, and Daley Thompson at Warhammer World once...

N.

Grimtuff
17-04-2007, 11:57
The manager of my local store (Lincoln) was up in Liverpool when John Barnes (ex Liverpool footie player) came in the store. He thought it was a music shop.

Cue some laughing from him when he realised his mistake that sounded scarily like Dr Hibbert from the Simpsons....

Warmaster Primus
14-06-2008, 17:38
Jay of Jay and Silent Bob fame plays Fantasy.

Templar Ben
14-06-2008, 17:46
Can we combine this with http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143713?

junglesnake
14-06-2008, 21:50
john tickle,
and the misfits ( its a band :p )

Jon Tickle - I guess I am a semi-official source of info on this because I know him and have done for most of my life (nearly all of it).

When I was a kid he was one of the people that influenced me to start wargaming. He had a large collection of the original Lord Of The Rings stuff from GW.

I heard Jaques Viellnerve the F1 driver also games apparently. Other than that my knowledge is limited I am afraid.