PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying old empire wizard

TheLionReturns
12-04-2007, 10:22
I'm not sure if this is the right section and apologise if not.

I am doing a sale of all my old WFB and 40K models partly for health reasons because most are lead and partly as an excuse to get some shiny new ones. Anyway I stumbled across this old Empire Wizard which I cannot remember buying. I think it may have come free with a White Dwarf or something around the mid 90's. Anyway the pic is below and if anyone can shed any light on this model ie was it from a white dwarf? which one? is it meant to represent a particular college of magic? etc I would be grateful. There is a pic of the model as an attachment.

This is my first time posting an image so not sure if it will work ok.

Jedi152
12-04-2007, 10:23
It did come free with a WD, and was part of the plastic wizard boxed set.

They're quite highly regarded as some of the better wizard models - probably because they look like wizards should, not waving swords and other 'fighty' stuff.

I think it was a gold (metal) wizard.

squiggoth
12-04-2007, 13:17
He's still available in the "Wizards" toyboxes that you can find at independant retailers, together with a bunch of other plastic Wizards (from Warhammer Quest and Talisman).
Most of them are still pretty good models, especially considering that they were made in the time when plastic units were mostly ugly, badly detailed and stiff-posed. :)

I'm not sure which College this guy represents .... I've been using him as a BloodBowl head coach.

enyoss
12-04-2007, 14:56
Definitely a wizard from the Gold Order. As Jedi says, they came free with WD ages ago (I'm pretty sure it was the June 1996 UK copy). Didn't know they were sold overwise though... we learn something new everyday I suppose :).

They were great models though. The best were probably the Bright, Grey and Jade models, which in my opinion can rival today's stuff. Oh, and they achieve it without resorting to a billion tiny components too (me and these multi-part plastics really got beef :D).

Cheers,

enyoss

Eversor
12-04-2007, 15:16
<snip> especially considering that they were made in the time when plastic units were mostly ugly, badly detailed and stiff-posed. :)
And that's different from today? ;)
Anyhow, he was first released for the third edition of Talisman, along with some brothers (and a dark elven sister) from different colleges.

pookie
12-04-2007, 15:35
its the Jade wizard, i still have him somehwere....

The Dark One
12-04-2007, 15:54
He's still available in the "Wizards" toyboxes that you can find at independant retailers, together with a bunch of other plastic Wizards (from Warhammer Quest and Talisman).
Most of them are still pretty good models, especially considering that they were made in the time when plastic units were mostly ugly, badly detailed and stiff-posed. :)

you are kidding right
i have been looking for those wizards for a few years now

enyoss
12-04-2007, 17:05
its the Jade wizard, i still have him somehwere....

Not so I'm afraid, it's definitely the Gold wizard ;). The main identifiers for these wizards were:

Jade - Sickle
Celestial - Skullcap (I think)
Amber - Weird lightning claw thing!
Bright - Leaning backwards from his staff with a beard which looked as though it was burning.
Grey - Typical Gandalf style brimmed hat
Ameythst - really can't remember this guy... probably had a scythe though :D
Gold - The guy up at the top of the thread.

My mate still uses the Grey and Bright wizards in his Empire army, and between us we've got the Amber, Gold and DE Sorceress knocking around somewhere. The DE Sorceress model was a really good sculpt too.

Cheers,

enyoss

enyoss
12-04-2007, 17:08
In fact, most of the guys are here:

http://www.solegends.com/cittal3/index.htm

The Jade wizard is down as a Druid here, and the Light wizard I forgot about is also there.

Cheers,

enyoss

EvC
12-04-2007, 19:20
Thanks for that link, I'd always wondered what the Khemrian-style Wizard was (The "High Priest") and now I know :)

kyussinchains
12-04-2007, 20:55
actually enyoss, the wizard that your cousin uses is actually the wizard from warhammer quest... unless they are the same model, he's not actually the grey one

and where is the DE sorceress?? I've been playing dark elves all these years and you keep it secret from me??

Festus
12-04-2007, 21:18
Hi

The WHQ Wizard that came with the box is a grey one, just not the same as the Talisman Grey Wizard.

Festus

Bregalad
12-04-2007, 21:34
I got these, too. IIRC they were in a special plastic wizards box, containing 6-8 wizards, among them the 4 from "Talisman Dungeons Of Doom Expansion" and the above one plus some evil wizard with skull cap and a female Dark Elf Sorceress. The Gandalf type was also included in the Warhammer Quest game.

enyoss
12-04-2007, 23:01
and where is the DE sorceress?? I've been playing dark elves all these years and you keep it secret from me??

Ha! I thought you had it? Well, it must be with either Dave or Rob or that's the end of that then :).

Cheers,

enyoss

TheLionReturns
12-04-2007, 23:51
Thanks for the help identifying the model. I am pretty fond of it but considering I am getting rid of all of my empire army there doesn't seem much point keeping it. I like the bloodbowl coach idea mind. He may get a reprieve and stalk the touchline for my human team. We'll see.

dirach.
13-04-2007, 08:10
This model was first released in one of the Talisman expensions. He was a alchymist. So gold wizard is a natural choice for his order.

BlazeXI
16-04-2007, 18:27

If you were so kind to post a link if possible, or at least quote a price. I love that Babylonian Wizard! As the Dark One have been looking for him for a while. Even with the new ones being sub-zero-cool (been watchin Top Gear this weekend:evilgrin: ), this would make addition to my collection.