PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Fantasy Army

Althanan
13-04-2007, 03:55
So I'm debating a foray into Fantasy... been a 40k player for six or seven years now and have been tempted by Fantasy for about a year now.

My main problem (besides money, of course) is deciding on an army. I like a flexible army that can adapt to a number of roles without major changes to the army list, and I like an army that can be tooled to deliver hammer blows in multiple areas.

Of course, being the nerd that I am, an army with great fluff matters just as much :p

Based on what research I've done, my focus right now is on the Dwarves and High Elves, but the Wood Elves and Vampire Counts have me somewhat fascinated as well. The Tomb Kings intrigue me as well, but not near so much as the other four.

Any thoughts or suggestions to help the decision?

Marcel
13-04-2007, 04:55
buy, steal or download the books, learn the rules for the armies, and ultimately, choose one that most interests you. i personally am fascinated with dead bodies, so i chose undead. but you are looking into very different armies, so the decision shold be made once youve learned the rules.

Warboss Grimmtoof
13-04-2007, 05:18
Just go with what feels right. Pick an army that has a strategy that you wont have to unlearn all you have learned playing 40k for, something that matches your playing style. Personally, I picked Lizardmen as my first fantasy army (actually I just ordered my Battalion box today) because I like the ability to field mass numbers of weak but very flexible and specialized troops (skinks). If you go with Dwarves, take note that you will be forced to take siege weapons and the like, a fact that puts many off from them. Vampire Counts are cool, and while most of your army will be loads of (basically) harmless cannon fodder, they have a nice range of heavy hitters. Black coaches, Death Knights, and Vampires are all very challenging units that your enemy will have to carefully deal with. This is just my insight. ;)

Marcel
13-04-2007, 05:21
If you go with Dwarves, take note that you will be forced to take siege weapons and the like, a fact that puts many off from them.

what are you smokin' homey?

Rodman49
13-04-2007, 06:19
I would choose either Dwarves or Wood Elves. They both have recent army books and really good models out. You can decide which of these two you want based on playstyle - Dwarves are slow, relentless, and tough armies supported by artillery. Wood Elves are a quick, fragile hit and run army that benefits from quick movement and moving terrain.

I would avoid High Elves and Vampire Counts until they receive new books - the end of this year or beginning of next year.

Franco
13-04-2007, 12:50
Cheak out the GW website and have a look at all the armies. If your not sure on one or two then have a look on warseer.
I would say Dwarfs are a good option. They are cheapish to buy (because of the new boxed sets) and they are strong at battle. But if you want a manouverable army, look elsewhere because they have movement 3.
Chaos are also quite good. Beasts of chaos can look abit stupid, but hordes of chaos have lots of options!!!

DeathlessDraich
13-04-2007, 13:32
Flexible army - TK are successfully played in a certain way. VC are slightly more flexible but it might be better to wait for the new army book which will come out after High Elves - due this summer.
Dwarves are good but have the slowest movement in Fantasy and no magic.
Personally I would recommend Wood Elves from your list as they have interesting abilities but do consider Orcs and Ogres.

Warboss Grimmtoof
13-04-2007, 13:50
Originally Posted by Warboss Grimmtoof View Post
If you go with Dwarves, take note that you will be forced to take siege weapons and the like, a fact that puts many off from them.
what are you smokin' homey?

I am talking about the fact that Dwarves are intended to be supported by warmachines. I am not saying you cant win without them, I am just saying it can be a bit more challenging without an anvil. Slayers are an exception.

Althanan
14-04-2007, 16:16
So it seems like waiting would be the wise thing to do, as two of my main considerations are looking to get new army books in the next year. That's OK by me.

I can't help but lean towards Dwarves a bit, though, and I'm not sure why. The biggest thing that's keeping me away from them is their near-complete lack of mobility. I like to keep my armies as mobile as possible when I can.

At the same time, though, I'm hesitant to go for Wood or High Elves because my main 40k army is Eldar... it would seem almost redundant to go to another Elfin race, no?

reefclaw
14-04-2007, 16:26
get empire,
you have a flexipble army and you have both, fantasy and 40k feeling.;) ;)

else, go for elves (they are flixble).

studderigdave
15-04-2007, 05:33
lizardmen are very user friendly. they were my first army, and i still enjoy playing them. they are VERY flexible. lizardmen are very strong in the magic phase and can hold it down in the combat phase also. they have flyers to take care of warmachines, and many selections that cause fear and/or terror.