PDA

View Full Version : Who's had a chance to see the Khazad Dum Book?

Horus84
13-04-2007, 14:30
Just wondering if anyone else has had a chance to see the new book as I was pondering over it a couple of days ago and was mightly impressed. It looks even better the arnor in terms of layout and style and the rule for new stuff all seem balance and fun

HeraldOfTheFree
13-04-2007, 19:06
I have seen it.
Only noticed one mistake so far- Balin and the Dwarf King are the same points, when Balin has much more equipment and statistics.
I was very impressed by the village scenery in the final scenario, and the Dwarf Hold/Outside board. I feel the book needed more pictures of all this cool scenery though.
And the background section was short, as usual. Disapointing compared to, for example, the background in the Siege of Gondor.
Goblin Prowlers seem broken. I think we worked out if you give them great weapons and they trap Sauron they wound him on 3+. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Lord Gordonis
13-04-2007, 22:31
I havent seen the book yet, hopefully to see it soon :D

Sniper Kelly
14-04-2007, 00:03
The Arnor supplement didn't have much about the scenery either, but they did do terrain feature on the web for it, so maybe they'll do the same with this one.

Horus84
14-04-2007, 11:19
I liked the section about gaming Khazad Dum with all the rules for mirror etc.. quite neat. Yeah the goblin prowlers seem horible but come Sauron would still have them in fight with his number of attack, higher fight vaule and might.

I really liked the rules for the Dragon. Really scary but potencially easy to scare off the table. The fire breath has to be the scariest thing in the world for sheild walls or blocks of infrantry.

HeraldOfTheFree
14-04-2007, 17:25
Sauron is an example- the only defense 10 warrior I can think of. Think more along the lines of Aragorn. We tried it out. Aragorn lasts until his might runs out, then as soon as the Prowlers get a chance he's dead.
The store LotR mega-battle was cool today. Goblin King had to escape the battlefield with a troll bodyguard. At the start the forces were evenly matched- the fairest mega-battle in Altrincham history.
However... half way through the game the Dragon came on, an army of its own. Fair? Hell no. Defense 9, Wounds 9, Fiery blast? When it came on it was 75% through the game. Both the good and evil forces were near-destroyed. But the Good was winning because the Dragon 'missed' the Elven host...
Its very very tough. And I dread the day when every kid has a Dragon army...

Mars
14-04-2007, 19:26
Any details on those Goblins prowlers? Rules, cost...
I do hope they're broken :D. Seriously, I can use something to crack open massed Minas Tirith Warriors, I tend to have serious trouble with those (contrary to solitary Heroes, whom I just Troll-sandwich).

Horus84
15-04-2007, 10:05
Prowlers get an extra +1 to the would roll if you have the oppent trapped. This also stacks wit other bonus's such as two handed weapons - which they can be upgraded to come with. I think they clock in about 8-9 points with two handed weapons.

9 wounds on the dragaon I was reading and the stat line said seven. They may have been swinderling you. Also everytime is takes a wound it must pass a courge check at courge 4 or if flees the battle field. So not too scary

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 11:10
Nope- unfortunately its the rules.
50 points for Defense 9 and Wounds 9.
50 points for Breath Fire, a 'Bow' that requires a will point to use and is Strength 10, instant kill.
50 points for Fly, making its movement 12 inches.
50 points for Wyrmtongue, which gives it magic abilities.
You can have two of these upgrades. I do think some of them are underpointed though...

Horus84
15-04-2007, 18:02
Hardened Skin is just +2 defence to defence 9 not wounds a well. The Dragon can also have all the upgrade not just two.

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 18:21
No offense Horus84, but have you actually seen the Khazad Dum book in detail or are you basing your facts on what people have told you?
Next time you get a chance, read the Dragon entry in the book. You will see who is right...;)

Horus84
15-04-2007, 21:18
well I considering I work at GW, then yes I have seen it and read it. Toughned Hide is definatly only d9. However, I could have missed only two upgrades allowed out of the four. I will be checking tomorrow now you got me wondering. Though I have been using it all week in our store 350pt easter campaing with no upgrades. It kick's ass - I only lost to a high elf army in all the two weeks! Go me

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 21:36
Sorry Horus, I didnt mean any disrespect at all, Im just 90% certain I'm right- I had to teach the staff at my local store the rules for the Dragon, :(. We dont have much LotR support... What GW do you work at just out of interest?
I think the craziest thing about the Dragon is the fact that in 1000pts, you can take FOUR of them without upgrades... and its a legal army...

Horus84
16-04-2007, 14:31
well, I must admit I mis-read the enties in question and indeed you would be right. Too excited about the rules I guess. I read the fire breath attack first and was laughing manically atfer that - and still am really. I would in the Yorkshire region and we have a excellent LOTR gamer base of about 15 odd regulars. As for the Dragon. I think he is pretty balance. I mean sure you can fit four in a 1000pts but I reckon a 1000pts of any Legion based army with the max amount 33% bowmen would drop them quite easily - it is after all only C4, so an fail a courage test with relative ease.

My faviourite new unit has to be the vault wardens - the models are really nice and a defence 9 sheild wall! That a sacry prospect.

HeraldOfTheFree
16-04-2007, 14:44
I really like the new Shaman model... it looks much more 'gobliney' than the old one. I also like the ballista and the rangers.

Horus84
16-04-2007, 18:50
yeah, the shaman is awsome and the ballista is real nifty too (do people still say nifty :confused: ) I don't think there is a bad model coming out this time around. The only one I am not too keen on Durin and that's just the head; it looks too angular to me. Saying that the LOTR as a range are all very solid apart from some odds and ends.

verydarkshadow
16-04-2007, 19:02
Just quick question, is the dragon's M/W/F more like a Captain, a King, or Elrond?

And any word on the Dwarves?

HeraldOfTheFree
16-04-2007, 19:35
I think I'm allowed to do this as the Khazad Dum book isnt on sale yet- the Dragon has 3 Might/3 Will/3 Fate.

Scanno
22-04-2007, 01:42
There are some stats in the new WD, mine arrived during the week. Iron guard have 2 attacks and throwing axes! Only one of the three dwarf lists can take the tunnel fighting guys :( Not that it matters, want to do pure dwarves anyway :)

cdc89
23-04-2007, 20:23
i dunno about durin he looks too elfy in a dwarven style but his rules are cool but he is under pointed in the rules. dragon F/7 S/7 D/7(9) A3-4 cant remember. W/7(9) C/4 M/3 W/3 F/3 fire - 50pts (like a trebuchet but strength 10 all round and costs a will) wings - 50pts (12 inch move) toughened scales - 50pts (D/9 and W/9) and wyrmtongue - 50pts (lets u use a free will on these spells per turn - transfix, compell, and i think sap will correct me if i am wrong i saw the book 2 weeks ago.)

Durins guard Mardin is good with his troll slayer rule.
vault warden team - 25pts team of 2 dwarves one with huge tower sheild and D/9 and a cool guy with a spear/ pike behind him. iron guard - A/2 + throwing axes 12-15pts.

just thought i would mention all i could remember instead of only part of a profile.

ChrisLS
24-04-2007, 04:16
Goblin Prowlers seem broken. I think we worked out if you give them great weapons and they trap Sauron they wound him on 3+. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Huh? Sauron is defense 10, the Prowlers S3. That would make it a 4/4 at best, and they have to beat and trap him.

Gondorian
24-04-2007, 11:34
Throw in a bat swarm and a troll aswell. Only problem there is needing to pass courage checks, goblins are fine with a shaman but the bats and troll need some good dice.

ChrisLS
24-04-2007, 17:15
Yeah, but the prowlers still need to roll 4/4s - they don't give the backstabber ability to the trolls, and nothing there reduced Sauron's defense. Can they beat him? Possibly, but they aren't wounding on 3+.

Gondorian
24-04-2007, 17:49
Nope, they can't wound him on threes, I was just offering some advice for goblins going Sauron hunting.
I'm looking forward to prowlers. I believe its best to equip them with two handed weapons as opposed to any other gear as when you do trap a model the odds are there will be another normal goblin in the combat, thus goblin wins the fight, prowler makes the kill.