PDA

View Full Version : Men of Numenor, 500 points.

Makaber
13-04-2007, 16:44
Okay, I need a good army. This is what I had in mind:

Elendil (165)
Isildur (100)
9 Warriors of Numenor w/ bow (72)
17 Warriors of Numenor w/ Shield (136)
3 Warriors of Numenor w/ Shield and Spear (27)

That's 500 points. Now, I have some regrets with this list. The first is, the original draft with 20 swordsmen and 10 archers clock in at 505 points, meaning I can't have the option to volley fire. The second is I can't afford sheilds on the heroes, but I guess Defense 7 should suffice. Of course, this army will be a lot better at 700 points, where I can afford more men, but I really want to field Elendil, and as soon as you have him in, its a shame to leave out Isildur.
Now, what I want your opinions on:

1) Would it be worthwhile to drop a swordsman to get some more spearmen?
2) Should I try to get shields on the characters after all?
3) Should I drop Isildur in favour of a standard captain, and get more men?
4) Do you think it's a worthwhile army to invest in?

Sniper Kelly
14-04-2007, 15:39
Hi there,
It looks like a pretty solid list. Here's my thoughts:

1) I'd probably drop a bowman to get more spears
2) Maybe, but I don't think they're desperate for extra protection
3) I wouldn't, but if you do expand to 700 points a captain would be a good idea.
4) Yes, I think so. I like playing 'historical' LOTR games.

Hope this helps.

Neknoh
15-04-2007, 09:15
I would concider replacing Elendil with a captain and using the extra points to buy Isildur a shield and to add even more spear and bow-men (heck, give your bowmen spears as well)

Pertinax
15-04-2007, 10:28
If I were to take out one of the heroes, I would take out Isildur. For 165, stats like that and an amazing free heroic combat EVERY round, Elendil is just a can of wup-ass waiting to be opened.

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 17:37
I wouldnt recommend taking both Elendil and Isilder in 500pts. Try taking out Isilder, putting in an Archer Captain and more troops.

Pertinax
15-04-2007, 17:58
Purely hypothetical question: Why would you want an archer captain?

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 18:24
In most of my armies I take a captain who accompanies my archer group. Why? The new courage rules are deadly. You really do need Stand Fast to keep an effective army when you get under 50%. Are Numenoreans Courage 3 or 4? If they are 4 courage isnt as much of a problem.

Pertinax
15-04-2007, 18:57
My reasoning would be that the front line is where the captain should be, where he will be instantly more active. The addition of a capt with the bows would purely be investing in 60 points for a M2 captain with a stand fast that takes pot shots wiht an S2 bow without much long term effect.

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 19:21
Fair point- but I usually play Orcs where its 45 points for a Might 2 Will 1 captain who can really help out with Stand Fast.

Pertinax
15-04-2007, 19:50
Besides, I've just noticed that neither Elindil nor Isildur have a 12" Stand fast, which many of the other "kings" have.

So reinforcing the front line is probably a very good idea.

Taker of skulls
16-04-2007, 11:48
I would consider taking Isildur out of the force as his father is better in fight value and gets heroic combats. Then give Elendil a shield to reinforce his defence (as one point of fate never did any hero much good), get more spear men and bow men so that you have a solid fighting hero (apart from poor fate), solid infintary ( swords backed up with spears *the high fight value means you nearly always win combat anyway*) and a good block of archers that you can stand out of range and volley fire with. if you have any points left i would consider getting a captain and/ or a banner (next to Elendil you cant go much wrong).
Though courage might be a problem when your force breaks, keeping your soldiery near Elendil will give them the advantage of his courage and heroic actions.