PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Boy in the Big City--A Reflection On Games Day Chicago

warpoet
01-08-2005, 18:28
Games Day Chicago 2005 was actually my second Games Day. The wife and I attended a GD in Baltimore a few years back as part of a whirlwind east coast vacation.

This year the wife and I went to Chicago, though she spent the day with a friend and we needed three shifts of babysitters for the triplets. I wanted to compete in the tournament, but we couldn't make it to Chicago that early on Friday.

Chicago is a neat town for a GD, though I have to admit my severe suburban misgivings. In Metro Detroit, we have no real public transit system. We drive places in SUV's and make sure our neighbors keep their jobs at the factories. So the whole red line/blue line deal to get from the apartment we were staying at to the convention center scared me a bit.

I couldn't help but notice my fellow subway riders looking at me strangely. It must have been the recent events in London and the toolbox and mini case I was carrying and not my good looks that were drawing their attention. Still, I went straight there. I even text messaged my wife "I ride big bus."

The center itself was very nice. There was a sports collectibles show that same day. Baseball card geeks look a lot like gaming geeks, and I even saw some of them pop into our hall from time to time. Maybe we have some conversions.

The line to get in was crazy nuts. I hope that means attendance was good, and secures more GD events in the Midwest for the future. I had ticket 1864, or something. That's a lot of 40-45 dollar tickets if they started at one.

I brought my orks. Lots of orks. My goal for the day was to have some fun, get in 2 or 3 games, and listen in on the seminars. I was snatched-up right away for a game by a fellow around 10 years old.

I pride myself on putting my minis where my mouth is and being willing to teach young gamers not the rules so much as the etiquette, so I agreed to a 1,000 point game. He busted out his space marines (primed, mostly) and I brought out the boys. I don't know the new SM codex very much, but in 1,000 points he had two dreads, a whirlwind, two tactical squads, and two deep striking assault squads. That seemed like a lot to me. Whatever.

He beat me by a bit. At least my looted basilisk managed to kill an entire assault squad in one shot.

I checked my bags for a bit and snagged a $4.00 slice of pizza.

I caught the tail-end of the new products seminar. The Q and A was pretty funny: "Do demonhunters have a primarch?" I thought Mr. McNeil handled the poor kid's question nicely. and delicately.

I found another open table and played an early teenager. Ork on ork action this time, though the fellow didn't have the new rulebook. So I flipped the switch between editions and played old rules style. I also gave him a fine lesson on burnas and mega armor and why I own none of the latter and plenty of the former.

I saw all of the second new products seminar.

All in all it was a good time, though I think we need a change a bit.

First of all (old man rant warning) the yelling from the big game got a wee bit out of hand. My ears were ringing. One Waaagh every half hour would have been fine.

Second, we need some open gaming tables with some age restrictions. I would have loved to get in a game with a veteran gamer if there was space. Not that I regret playing against those kids (minis where my mouth is), and I could have said no to either of them, but the chance to get in a well-generaled game but not be in the tourny would have been cool.

Third, I need to start a space marine army now. All those orks are a lot to heft around. I guess I could still paint them green. . . .

mad dog
01-08-2005, 19:14
Sounds like you had a pretty good time Warpoet.

I wish I could persuade my wife to let me attend GD Chicago, she's OK about the UK GD but crossing the pond ......... she draws the line there.

UK GD's are a nightmare. The only games are large participation games swamped with kids, ditto most other features at GD. I once made the mistake of going to GD on a GW coach, now don't get me wrong I like kids (well not in a Michael Jackson sort of way), mine are fine (especially now they are grown up), other peoples can be a bit wearing though. After a tiring day (without any alcoholic refreshments at the venue - we had to find a pub outside!) my patience was a little thin on the journey home. Four irritating teenage kids in front of me on the coach were being a pain, swearing (and not even creatively) and name calling, jumping around etc. They particularly seemed intent on questioning each others sexuality - after a while I stood up and stated that I was indeed gay (I'm not !!) and that their behaviour was particularly offensive and politically incorrect and that they should think before they shot their mouths off. If you could have seen their faces !!!!!!!!!!!! - they looked terrified. I'm not sure if it was because I'm a fairly chunky gruff ex army Sergeant -Major, or because they thought they had a gay middle aged man sat right behind them. I got a peaceful journey the rest of the way and approving nods from the other "grumpy old men" on the bus.

Golden Daemon is the bit I really like to see but its like visiting the Crown Jewels in London - lots of people, not much time, keep moving. So you never get time to look as closely as you would like. The UK GD is moving to a bigger venue this year - maybe it will be better for it.

Am I going ?? - Nah, I'd sooner nail my genital to a plank of wood.

Good luck with the marines and finding opponents who shave.

Bruen
01-08-2005, 20:48
At least my looted basilisk managed to kill an entire assault squad in one shot.

Hehe I love it when that happens :) I once killed a 300+ point command squad with 2 shots from a submunition railgun.

I don't know the new SM codex very much, but in 1,000 points he had two dreads, a whirlwind, two tactical squads, and two deep striking assault squads. That seemed like a lot to me. Whatever.

It is possible:

1 Dreadnought @ 105 Pts
Assault Cannon; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter

1 Dreadnought @ 105 Pts
Assault Cannon; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter

1 Whirlwind @ 85 Pts
Whirlwind Multiple Missile Launcher

4 Tactical Squad @ 100 Pts
Bolter (x2); Lascannon (x1); Plasmagun (x1)
1 Sergeant @ [15] Pts
Bolter

1 Sergeant @ [15] Pts
Bolter

4 Assault Squad @ 110 Pts
Bolt Pistol & CCW (x4); Frag Grenades
1 Sergeant @ [22] Pts
Bolt Pistol & CCW; Frag Grenades

1 Sergeant @ [22] Pts

Total Roster Cost: 715

Glad you had a good time.

warpoet
01-08-2005, 23:55
1 Sergeant @ [15] Pts
Bolter

1 Sergeant @ [15] Pts
Bolter

1 Sergeant @ [22] Pts

1 Sergeant @ [22] Pts

Total Roster Cost: 715

Glad you had a good time.

Except, of course, that his squads were all ten-strong, and he had some sort of uber-marine leader.

But you're right, I did have a good time.