PDA

View Full Version : starting 40k and tyranids

gill
13-04-2007, 19:25
ok well im thinking of stating 40k,

was thinking of getting the tyranid battleforce, is this a good way to start out.

also should i get the battle of macgree boxset or should i try n get the rulebook on ebay?

Subtext
13-04-2007, 20:29
The Tyranid Battleforce is great, I have two of them and will probably get a third one soon. Everything in the Box is useful and you can also build a completly legal army with one.

Stingray_tm
13-04-2007, 20:38
Exactly. But beware: Don' expect to win games with these units alone. They are a great start, but Tyranids have problems with low point games.

gill
13-04-2007, 20:54
well my brother who will be my main apponent is getting the chaos battle force, how do u think i'll fair against him? hes new like me as well

gLOBS
13-04-2007, 22:43
One thing I have to say. If you don't know what you want to use on big guys buy some rare earth magnets. This will let you play the same models in different ways and will make your army less dull with variety without buying new models.

max the dog
14-04-2007, 18:15
Play a few games with different mission scenarios. Your style of playing is different than mine so your needs would most likely be very different too. Your opponents are also different; I play a lot of space marine armies and only rarely a true horde list. That twists my army types to include lots of genestealers and a few monstrous creatures. I need rending and monstrous creature attacks to get past their armor save.
Vrs horde lists I'll add more gaunts and try to out-horde them.

No matter the type of opponent I always try to include at least one shooty fex, a flying hive tyrant, and out number them in models.

This is a good site to build up your armies model count;
http://bwbits.com/

kesher
15-04-2007, 04:08
and bwbits.com is having a sale this weekend, I hear... Cough cough..

dblaz3r
15-04-2007, 04:55
Well having just looked over the tyranid model range for the best part of the last 2hours I will now be joining you starting my own tyranid horde probably about 3000 points to start within the next 3 weeks, seen as I have alot of money burning a big hole in my pocket right now.
Oh yea 100th post hooray, triple figures.

max the dog
15-04-2007, 16:40
3000pts!!!!

I sincerely hope that you know how to speed paint if you're looking at a horde. That massive amount of nids can get overwhelming to start out with. Pick out a simple paint scheme that's easy and quick to paint and would go well with the big guys as well as the little gribbles. Aside from the details my nids are just 3 colors. I keep them on the sprue but clip off as much as possible from the parts that show, primer everything, airbrush the liche purple basecoat, drybrush enchanted blue, drybrush a mix of enchanted blue and skull white, skull white on the claws, talons and teeth, clip from the sprue and assemble, flock the base with sand, glue to base, finish the details. I've done 60 gaunts in one mind numbing night that way.

dblaz3r
15-04-2007, 17:37
Yea its alot at once but I`m going to have alot of spare time and I already have my DA to finish first (I have a big plate:D). I don`t mind playing with unpainted models till I get a grip with their game play and how I want to equip them before I get the painting side of things started. They`ll just be a play at home army until I have them ready for public battle anyway. Cheers for the tips as well.

nooobie 69
15-04-2007, 22:12
get raveners and you'll always win yay!! Any way whoever says with nids you cant win in small games well i have a 500pt combat patrol (for doubles to make 1000pts) and nobody wants to play me necause i have 10 raveners with rending claws and scything talons 3 warriors with scything talons and spinefists and 8 spine gaunts. Also no matter what type of tyranid army you are doing you need to make sure that you have synaps the best way to do this is with either warriors or a flying hive tyrant

gLOBS
15-04-2007, 22:28
Don't you have to take 1 Troops Choice in combat Patrols?

Subtext
15-04-2007, 22:35
Yea its alot at once but I`m going to have alot of spare time and I already have my DA to finish first (I have a big plate:D). I don`t mind playing with unpainted models till I get a grip with their game play and how I want to equip them before I get the painting side of things started. They`ll just be a play at home army until I have them ready for public battle anyway. Cheers for the tips as well.

You could just get some Varnish and dip your Nids. I only need 1-2 Days for 500 Points of nids. So you can easily finish the whole 3000 Pts in two weeks. :cool:

Now how does that sound?

dblaz3r
16-04-2007, 08:01
Well im not really in a hurry to get them painted up as i`m looking to make nids my main force of attack and really want to take the time to make them look as stunning as I can master (fingers crossed thats somewhat half decent), plus I have yet to decide on what color scheme i`ll go with and a particular theme. I`m looking to build my own game board at home as a sort of infested world that people can come and try to cleanse of the xenos menace, heavily advantaged toward the nids of course, it is theirs to devouor. Was thinkin of a jungle them but seen as ive got DA already with orks when they get realeased and nurgle in the future sometime, I think its abit of overkill on the greenness.