PDA

View Full Version : Representing Long Beards

Rpait
13-04-2007, 20:48
So I'm looking to add some longbeards to my dwarf army. The problem is that I loathe the masks on the new plastic ones. Would it be acceptable to just paint their beards white to show that their older while younger warriors have black, brown, or blonde beards? Or would that be considered iffy?

gukal
13-04-2007, 20:54
Buy a couple boxes of the just-turned-classic metal long beards. They are a very nice set of sculpts in my opinion. Then save the plastics for the beardlings.

I don't think they are sold by GW by the box anymore but you should be able to get one or two on ebay at some point.

- Gukal

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99060205075&orignav=9
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301178&orignav=301116&GameNav=301115

knightwatch
13-04-2007, 20:59
Rpait,

That is exactly what I am doing for my Dwarf Tourney List. I see no reason not to as long as you explain to your opponent your paint scheme.

Crazy Harborc
13-04-2007, 22:55
Been there and did that too, white paint will work. I also gave them a distinctive paint scheme uniform wise.

Falkman
13-04-2007, 22:58
Another advice would be to use only the models with the longest beards, perhaps buy two plastic kits and use the ones with really long beards as Longbeards and the other ones as normal warriors?
I had that in mind some time ago when I bought some dwarfs, but my interest in them faded.

MadJackMcJack
14-04-2007, 00:22
It's how I represent my longbeards, that and a higher degree of gold in the armour. They are old dwarves after all, so white or grey suits them.

stecal
14-04-2007, 19:40
I glued the face masks on as shoulder pads, used the longest beards and added horns to all the helmets for my Longbeards.

spaint2k
14-04-2007, 20:16
I extended their beards with greenstuff, and painted them with grey or white.

Steve

zak
14-04-2007, 20:45
I quiet like the face masks, but I have also painted all of their beards white and used far more gold to make them stand out. I can't see a problem with what you are proposing.

Lander
15-04-2007, 04:15
Paint'em Gold armor White Beards, Ive found that Bleached bone with a Skull white Highlight gives for a good veteran look its what I did for my classics longbeard unit.

They are a very nice set of sculpts in my opinion.
Due to the sculpts I grabbed them before the new rules:D .

I extended their beards with greenstuff, and painted them with grey or white.

Ill have to grab the new set and try that. Seems a cool idea.:angel:

Ganymede
15-04-2007, 06:15
You can also represent longbeards with a grander banner and musician.

Vattendroppe
15-04-2007, 10:13
I'd prefer the old metal ones any day. They're nice and looks more like longbeards than the new plastic.

Lander
15-04-2007, 14:54
Indeed. I love the Champion model with his mug.

Finn Sourscowl
15-04-2007, 16:39
I was in a similar conundrum (sp??) to you, Rpait, and ended up making my first attempts at sculpting cloth out of GS to give them all fur lined cloaks which I then painted in a tartan colour scheme. They're really distinctive now, with the added bonus that my sculpting is much better (although this is, of course, a relative thing... I'm still pretty useless!)!

Of course, following Falkman's advice might be a little less hassle!

heretics bane
15-04-2007, 16:58
You can also represent longbeards with a grander banner and musician.

yeah same here, usually have ork heads hanging of the banner and some runes on it and grey beards