PDA

View Full Version : Which Army To Choose

Khorne warrior
15-04-2007, 06:31
>>Okay, I know that noo army is better than another. However, I was wondering, which army do you reccomend:
Empire,
orcs,
vampire counts
or Bretonnians

him_15
15-04-2007, 06:37
If you've decided to go for these four, pick either Empire or Orc which has recently been updated.

Marcel
15-04-2007, 08:34
Well, you said that no army is no better than other. so here is what i recommend:

be different.
play a Tomb Kings army without scorpions.
the people on this forum are going to make you play armies that are banal, bland and lacking originality.
talk to real gamers in real life see what they think.
avoid GW at all costs.
paint your own models.
use the first army to learn the rules and get your painting skills strong.
use the second army to go nuts.
tournaments are a sweet way to get ideas.
you'll also meet alot of jerks.
fantasy orcs pale in comparison to Space Orks
play mordheim first.
if people with children or anyone for that matter, enters the game store, be nice and diplomatic. fill them in, they'll appreciate it.
while shooting is impressive, chasing an opponent down after killing half the unit is way more satisfying.
bring a bag lunch every other time you play, all that pizza and deli can be somewhat bad for your health.
collect dice and other game accesories, they WILL become an obsession.
dont cheat.
dont bend the rules.
learn the (psychology, panic, etc) rules, even if you play undead
whenever you feel like going on warseer, first paint the base colors on a mini.
start a painting log.
be nice.
have fun.

Voltaire
15-04-2007, 09:49
Your style will grossly dictate which army you play. If you could elaborate more on how you enjoy playing in terms of tactics it would be easier to help you out. At the moment though, we would be basically leading you in the direction of whatever our own favourite army was and that definitely not what you need.

ghost of scubasteve
16-04-2007, 00:41
im in this boat too, ive been playing 40k for a while with an

imperial gaurd mechanized/drop troop army
all vehicles with some drop trooping suicide squads

and have been thinking about starting up warhammer fantasy, but cant decide on which army to go with.

my imp gaurd army plays mobile and shooty, ive been thinking about dwarves (slower and stronger??) or maybe something magicy? just something non-shooty, and preferrably non-hordy (ive painted too many imp gaurd dudes!!)

Marcel
16-04-2007, 09:10
Ghost of scubasteve, consider the Ogre kingdoms. very few models unless you play gnoblars.

forgottenlor
16-04-2007, 09:59
So, I'll take your plea seriously and try to adivse you on what you want to play. I like vampire alot. Its very manouerable and you mix spongue units like skeletons and zobmies with hard hitting vampires and undead knights, .... but I expect this list to be massively revised and soon. If you really like vampires, wait it out to listen to how the new book is recieved.
Orks and goblins I personally feel are a very challenging army to play. You have numbers most of the time, but your units are unreliable and you aren't particularly strong in any area, but you have a wide range of choises. My freind has this army and so I have played it a number of times, and I always think afterwards I got very lucky or unlucky. That's the kind of army it is. Hope you can roll well.
The empire: I personally have a love/hate relationship with this army. I find the modells hideous, but the wide range of options make it fun to play. Again I have played with a friend's army and it is his favorite. You can with numbers, calvary, war machines. You can do so many things with this army list. If I were to play with this army, though it would cost me a fortune, because I would buy almost everything in the range. On the other hand, its got lots of plastic.
Brettonians: I like the minatures and the atmosphere of the brets. They are also simple to play. You are faster, you move forward and make your opponent beat you. To be honest, I think ths get boring after awhile, but it depends on what your cup of tea is.
So, I am personally for vampire as they now stand, but I'd wait and see what happens to them. Personally though look at the minatures and think about what style you'd like to play. If possible try to play some games by proxy.

Inkosi
16-04-2007, 12:41
just wondering why his user name is khorne warrior....

xiau
16-04-2007, 18:25
what's your style of play? this will greatly decide on the outcome, maybe if you post how you like your battles to run, we can help more, personally i would say run vamps, but then again their my favourite race so im biased

Canadian_Khan
16-04-2007, 20:25
For having played bretonnians... if you what to have a near unilateral army of knights, go ahead and have fun.
If you do so, never underestimate the power of your archers and men-at-arms...

But please, for the sake of your army... have at least 2 damsels... if you don't you will find that game very... very boring... cause you won't do anything but move, shoot a little, of fight, shoot a little... or shoot and charge...

Khorne warrior
17-04-2007, 03:46
Alright, after talking to my buddy, I discovered that I like war machines, shooting, and Close Combat etc. However, I found that the dwarfs and the Empire would suit this role. Which do you think is more worthwhile. I mean, dwarves are better in CC, but they are very slow.

forgottenlor
17-04-2007, 09:07
Hard choice. I find the dwarf figures nicer, but its sort of boring playing such an immobile army with no magic. That's just my opinion. I like having access to light and heavy calvary and dwarves dont have that.

Hulkster
17-04-2007, 09:11
Having had an Empire army I would have to say Dwarves

more interesting, you dont have to worry about magic and you can field all manner of stuff

Dwarves FTW

ChaosTicket
06-05-2007, 02:26
>>Okay, I know that noo army is better than another. However, I was wondering, which army do you reccomend:
Empire,
orcs,
vampire counts
or Bretonnians

the Empire is a balanced army with cheap infantry, powerful artillery, and decent magic and heavy infantry. The main reason to choose them is mainly guns and cannons, as they have about a 16th century knowledge of blackpowder weapons(They won't have muskets and volley fire for some 200years).

Brettonia is better for a melee player, as they have severly reduced ranged capabilities(about 13th century technology), but larger numbers of knights that are also more effective(their infantry are no longer that good now that Empire infantry cost the same but are plainly better)

Orcs are have the same ranged ability as Bretonnia, but basses itself more on numbers of infantry and medium cavalry. Don't think that they are just a horde army. They still have quite powerful units (Big Un's and Black Orcs come to mind) and Leaders.

Vampire Counts are a "Hard" army to play. most of their units are below average, slow, and realy heavil on it's characters to boost their abilities. Personally I think these guys suck with Zip for range weapons, high costs, and bad units(their wights are no better than other heavy infantry as they just trade some stats).

Really which do you want, a German army, Scottish highlanders(orcs), Romanian/Transylvannian Undead, or French Knights.

Being descended from german ancestors and having a fondness for 16th Century Blackowder weapons, I LOVE the Empire.

Vile Snotsuckle
06-05-2007, 15:08
There are so many ways to choose an army, all of the armies are cool, so I tend to choose an army that is easy to paint and cheap. In the past, you could be really cheap and only buy armies that had high point value units to save a buck. Plus, you could save time and not paint squat. Now, the way GW has things worked out, you have to pay about the same for each army...perhaps.

I would probably say Vampire Counts, painting the skeletons will be a simple.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
06-05-2007, 15:28
i woul say brettonians but it completely depends what you like

Galladorn
06-05-2007, 15:48
Choose Empire
Why?
Because when you win a battle using plain ol' ordinary humans while playing against an opponent who uses Monsters, insane frenzied infantry and insane special rules, it just feels great.

popisdead
06-05-2007, 16:34
Empire are good as they are the generic average army with loads of ways to make them not crap, (detachments, warmachines, cool magic items, etc).

Orcs are great, there are loads of models, the army is fun, it's very customizable (all orc, all goblin, 8 chariots, all warmachine, etc)

I dont' recommend VC only as in less than a year there will be an entire redux of the model line, unless you are converting your army wholy.

Bretonnians are good if you like knights :)

big7samuraifan
06-05-2007, 17:47
1st - always go with your gut (or heart)

2nd - go with what YOU are interested in...which minis are most appealing to you? which fluff or background is coolest to you? Does one army stand out in other hobbies you are into (i.e. you like Britonnia and you also love Ancient England and knights)?

3rd - Is painting going to be a factor? Are you good? Go for Brits or empire? Are you not such a good or patient painter? Tomb kings and orcs would be easier?

Just some thoughts...Write up some pros & cons, price out a 2k army (if $ is a factor), go play test at a local GW store to get a feel for each...

Then decide....

kuriad
09-05-2007, 13:51
If you want to always win.

Go Brets or Wood Elves