PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like the new state troop models?

Warlord_Grotsnik
15-04-2007, 20:05
BECAUSE I SURE DON'T!

Were they trying to emulate Bretonnian Men-at-Arms or something?

loveless
15-04-2007, 20:11
Have you handled the new minis yourself, or are you just looking at a painted picture and going "ew, not what I'm used to!"

Up close and personal, the minis are gorgeous. The pose is dynamic, the majority of the shields are pretty, most of the heads are usable, and most of the uniforms are unique while maintaining uniformity.

As for the Men-at-Arms...they're some of the best minis in the Bretonnian range.

So what's the complaint here? "Boo hoo, the faces don't look real enough"? "Boo hoo, my enormous puffy sleeves have been relegated to pistoliers and the general now"?

If I've said it once, I've felt it 100 times.

Give some supported criticism as opposed to meaningless complaints that don't explain WHAT is wrong with the topic in question.

zak
15-04-2007, 20:22
I like them ,but I don't love them. Some of the bits are a tad bad, but they are an improvement upon the previous ones, which were static and monopose.

Warlord_Grotsnik
15-04-2007, 20:36
The reason I hate them is because they are trying to copy off Men-at-Arms, and that's plain to see.

Horus84
15-04-2007, 21:23
eh?, They are pretty similar to the original mulitpart one. They have really just had details add that makes them more "grim" warhammer fanasty rather than germanic looking men from history. Personally I think they are great.

If anything you would argue the men at arms look like them as the orginal empire plastics came first.

HeraldOfTheFree
15-04-2007, 21:31
The Men-At-Arms and the State Troops are similar as they both feel Warhammer. I love the new State Troops. At first you think they look bad/small/too different from photos, but paint up a unit of them- its guaranteed to change your opinion.
Im currently working out a plan of how to replace my 70 'old Empire' with the new State Troops. In my army I have a total of 150, so I'm not that long off ;)

gorenut
15-04-2007, 22:01
I like them, but don't totally love them. They are definitely better in person and especialy with a proper paint scheme. There are a few gripes that would make me love them instead of just like.. such as:
Wish armor was more apparent on them
Not a fan the shoeless wonder (though thats easy to get around)
Would have liked it if their shields were bigger - I know it might be more accurate to what swordsmen would use.. but this is Warhammer.. I'd like to see grand shields on them (not a problem, I'm replacing all of mine with round lion shields).

Other than that.. great models.

PS: You might want to do a search on this topic. These models have been discussed to death when they were first shown and released.

Ganymede
16-04-2007, 00:23
Personally, I enjoy the look of the new models. I feel they are leagues better than the old state troops. The missile troops, especially the handgunners, look like they are posed a bit awkwardly. I wound still say they are nice models, and mich better than those two part handgunners of old.

Ironically enough, I will be using millitia with the free company crossbows and blunderbusses to represent my shooting detatchments, so I won't get to benefit fom the new missile troops.

Bloodknight
16-04-2007, 00:31
I still like the old ones better than the new ones. Some of the newer models are quite good (pistoliers), but the state troops suck IMO. I donīt like the faces and, in case of the missile troops, the large guns. Theyīre also not puffy enough^^.

TKitch
16-04-2007, 01:13
the new models are ptetty awesome in general.

the faces, yes, they need work, but they're pretty hot overall. There are good heads in the box, and the rest you can pull from pistoliers!

der_lex
16-04-2007, 01:27
Love them as well. Currently painting some of them up, and enjoying the fact that the level of detail is just right...enough to make the minis interesting, yet not so much that you have to spend too much time on every model (they are a rank and file unit, after all).

As for 'they look too much like men at arms'...you can put a commoner in a pretty uniform, but he'll still be a commoner. Of course there's not going to be much difference.

TheWarSmith
16-04-2007, 02:29
Giving us 100% and 0% isn't really a good poll......at all.

I won't answer the poll because neither response comes close to how i feel about them.

They're a definite improvement over hte last ones, but there are some bad things about it.

NakedFisherman
16-04-2007, 02:47
The ugly faces ruin them for me. The handgunners have very chunky weapons.

Their poses are a little awkward, too.

Warlord_Grotsnik
16-04-2007, 07:11
Giving us 100% and 0% isn't really a good poll......at all.

I won't answer the poll because neither response comes close to how i feel about them.

They're a definite improvement over hte last ones, but there are some bad things about it.

I apologise then.

The boyz
16-04-2007, 09:37
The new Empire state troops don't look to bad. I must admit, they do look a lot better I find when you see them for real.

I'm not to keen on the barefooted soldier, and the Handguns tend to look a bit chunky. Other then that, they look ok.

Sanjuro
16-04-2007, 13:22
"Boo hoo, my enormous puffy sleeves have been relegated to pistoliers and the general now"?

That would be it.

Lt. Co Steel
16-04-2007, 20:42
i generaly like them, although i found that the handgun champions head makes the perfect head for a bionic eye in a 40K gaurd army

kaimarion
16-04-2007, 20:47
I dont like normal humans

exsulis
16-04-2007, 20:47
I like the new models.

Killshot
16-04-2007, 20:58
I voted Love 'em, because I like them. Love them might be a little too much, but I definitely don't hate them.

Marcel
16-04-2007, 21:00
i won a box of 6th edition empire troops during the Pub Quiz at a tournament, and i have to say, the models are pretty nice. the command sprue in particular is great, with bits to make a mounted character minus the horse. the new ones look like a variation on the free company, which makes them look rag tag and out of uniform. thats fine for stirland, but i think there should be a contrast between the enlisted men and what could very well be mercenaries or pirates.
the models themselves are well sculpted, but always there has to be goofy details like the ridiculously over sized feathers. i understand that there should be a push to create a signature style, but this is just silly. two foot feathers on a tough veteran soldier? no way!

general trooper
28-04-2007, 20:42
i like em, but they have way to many feathers for my liking

Caligula
28-04-2007, 20:53
I just recently put together my first regiment of Swordsmen, and honestly I'm very, very happy with the new State Troops. They go together fiarly well, and make a very striking regiment. Oh, and I actually like the feathers:)

Overt_Spy
28-04-2007, 21:03
At first I really disliked em. I really liked the puffy sleeves, though it was a bit historical, it made them look distinguished. But after painting them, they really grew on me.

My main gripe is their pose, not a fan of the orc lean and I think a full unit of 20 of these state troops look off, I now use them as first ranks and then old models for the back.

Caligula
28-04-2007, 21:13
Hmmm...that's strange, because in my case they started to look better when they formed a block of 20 for me. Oh well, different strokes, what?;)

I can't wait to hit mine with some paint, as they're going to be reiklanders...so with a mostly white uniform accented with some vibrant blues and reds, I think they'll look amazing. Well, hopefully.

Hadhfang
28-04-2007, 21:51
I quite like them and they nearly influenced me to play empire but I stuck to Bretonnians.

What I do hate is marmite. And this poll is very much like mamite-love or hate. No in the middle or scale for opinions. And the question "do you ike them?" then demanding we either love them or hate them is a bit wierd. so in future polls I would offer a range of opinions to choose from. ;)

squiggoth
28-04-2007, 23:10
I love the new models, but if I'll ever pick up my MariŽnburg project again I'll probably be using the older plastics - MariŽnburger soldiers should not wear torn rags and frayed feathers, such vagabondish clothing may be fine foor the weedy Empire state troops, but not for us upper-class MariŽnburger private armies. :p

Perhaps I'll get some boxes of the new ones and mix the parts with the old ones ..... those powder monkies kick hiney. :D

Bingo the Fun Monkey
29-04-2007, 10:52
Better than last edition, hope the next batch in 8 years are better.

Cycorax
29-04-2007, 13:01
The models actually put me off starting off an empire army. Bought my first regiment of state troops and oh crap they're bringing out new ones :mad: .

Well, i guess i should of checked rumors! But to the point, i really dislike the new models, they are all strange and out of proportion, the legs seem way too thin, lanky and gangly for me.

The poses are alright i guess. Preferred the older ones, but i haven't even seen the new ones up close and personal.

twj
29-04-2007, 16:24
I hate them, bought a box of 10 crossbowmen the day they were released and only finished painting them today! The old state troops I could paint all day, every day. The new ones I've spent 3 monthd trying to avoid painting them...

Scanno
29-04-2007, 17:05
I like em. Don't love them, but like nonetheless. They're very fitting at the moment for the Empire, post Storm of Choas; they look like they've been fighting desperately for a long time, and just want to go home. The fact that the faces are ugly, with missing teeth and all appeals to me, since people aren't all pretty, and dentistry generally sucks in the Warhammer world.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
29-04-2007, 17:37
The new ones looked better in my hand than in photographs I found. I said before I saw the new models that I'd like them to look like they'd been in the wars and it comes across with their ragged appearance. That said I would have liked some more uniformity to the models, some decent and consistent-looking torso armour and helmets for instance.

skavenguy13
30-04-2007, 01:05
Well I didn't see them up close, but I certainly don't like the fact that their new hats have feathers so big, they can fly.

swordwind
30-04-2007, 01:25
I know its to big up the doomed dark dank emo death filled wrist cutting grim Warhammer World, but who decided to sculpt one without shoes? Its basic economics that if you cant afford atleast sacks to go over your feet, you cant afford armour.

The Old Scholar
30-04-2007, 01:28
I love these models.
The options and the spare bitz make for a great buy.
I like the Barefooted model. It lends to the poverty that soldiers at war are often faced with. They march and march and fight and fight, and eventually they are wearing piecemeal gear, some losing their boots to the ravages of the road.
Feathers are cool.
And I don't see the similarity to the Bretonnian Peasants. They wore long coats with broad-brimmed helms and the Empire stuck to puff and slash with hose pants. No, I understand you don't like them, but I'm missing your call that they are copies of the Bretonnians.

Caligula
30-04-2007, 01:33
I'm entirely with the Old Scholar...they look a little ragtag, they look a little worn, but somehow they still have that almost noble look of the Empire about them.

A poster above also said something about avoiding painting these minis...WHY?:) I'm absolutely loving painting my State Troops up and they're actually turning out rather well if I do say so. The feathers are large and exaggerated, yes indeed...as it should be. Skulls, swords, and poncy feathers...what could be more Empire?

Auzu
30-04-2007, 02:28
The poses are great and so are the extras but without the "puffy" clothes they are extremely boring and just feel un empireish.

Caligula
30-04-2007, 02:47
Hmm...maybe I'm biased simply because I didn't play Empire before this edition, so I've not been accustomed to the puffed out old soldiers. I suppose you're right though, Auzu...they could use a little more puffiness to bulk them out a bit.

Bretagne
30-04-2007, 04:01
does anyone see the state troops and think: "Dr. Seuss!"
those feathers are ridiculous. i mean, i know GW has trouble with scale, but come on! those feathers!

Zink
30-04-2007, 04:28
I'm glad my empire army is almost complete with older figures. I wasn't crazy about the old soldiers of the empire box but I don't like the style of the new ones. I saw them in person in my nearest GW store. The size of the feathers and guns were huge turn offs. Just something about the overall look I can't tolerate either. Too many wierd details. I wish they could make nice, clean models without a pile of unneccessary bling. It's too bad because I really like the empire army list.

Captain Cortez
30-04-2007, 07:19
I voted Hates them! I play Ostland Empire, as if they would have such huge feathers. The Beastman in the Forest of Shadows would die of laughter:rolleyes: .

I don't like how the men have such huge calfs, already mentioned feathers, heads need more hair, the guns are just to frikken blocky looking.

I do like the shield front and sword back look though.

What I did was mix the militia and old state troops, it looks fare better.

Jedi152
30-04-2007, 08:27
Love 'em!

Nuff said.

nanktank
30-04-2007, 09:04
Im not a fan, I think they look far too flamboyant.

DarthSte
01-05-2007, 11:16
I seriously think they are great. Very characterful.

C-Coen
01-05-2007, 12:27
None of the choises. Some things could be done better, like some faces (now some have the same heads as the powder monkey..), but overal they're not that bad. Much better than the previous ones, that's for sure.. :)

Auzu
01-05-2007, 13:32
After reading this thread and thinking about it I have decided to sell of all my plastic state troops and order metal Landsknechts from foundry instead.

Dr Death
02-05-2007, 15:38
There are good and bad points to the new models no doubt and so i cant say i honestly 'love' them but i do like them and have used a combination of old and new pieces to form my own state regiments.

The big dissapointment for me was the lack of slash and puff which regardless of the 'this is warhammer not history' crowd is a big part of the look of the empire troops (stops them looking like they're going into battle wearing pyjamas). Slash and Puff far from being slightly poncy i find helps make the limbs particularly look better muscled.

On the plus side though the new models are far more detailed- you have all kinds of trophies and equipment about their person, bandages around their wounds and such like. The feathers are an issue though but are quite easy to trimm down so they dont appear quite so offensive and they certainly mirror the look of properly flamboyant ostritch feathers rather than the old 'pigeon feathers' you had. They're also far chunkier than the old models which now look a little skinny by comparison.

So yes, the best i've found is to balance things- using the arms from older models is a good way to do it, replacing equipment to fit in with the new styling of stuff and generally being creative with pieces from both generations of models. Some of the combo's i've come up with look far better than the sum of their parts which is ultimately the best result in the world.

Dr Death