PDA

View Full Version : favorite matchups

jp22102000
15-04-2007, 22:33
i was thinking about a great game i had awhile ago that was a great match (sisters vs tyranids). i was wondering what other people think what great army matchups make for an exciting game and wish them to post their feelings. However, when i say great matchups and exciting games i mean for both players and both players have a chance to win, not because the game goes so one sided.
for me i have always enjoyed marines vs orks for a game

15-04-2007, 23:21
my guard vs anyone...I get to play and they get a win hehe

actually my fav game was armoured company vs my all bike space marine army. mass carnage. I had no modles left he had a tank (badly damaged but he still had a tank)

Askari
15-04-2007, 23:27
I like the old style rivalry matchups... you know such as.

Heavy-terminator Ultramarine army vs. Tyranids
- a la Macragge, elite troops vs. horde

Blood Angels vs. World Eaters
- 2 MEq assault armies, both Feel No Pain wielders

Space Wolves vs. Thousand Sons
- 2 MEq armies, very different styles of play

Tau Farsight Enclave vs. Horde Orks
- 2 very different armies, and the Tau don't have many pieplate Hammerheads to save them

Eldar with Striking Scorpions vs. Dark Eldar with Incubi
- how can the same race have such differing armies? brilliant!

Basically, anything with some fluffy thought behind it just adds an edge to a game I reckon, how both sides can claim to be better in the background of their rivalries.

Comrade JC
15-04-2007, 23:37
DA against Tyranids in a spaceship boarding scenario. Not sure why we came up with this but my friends and I played this mission back in 3rd Edition. Two allied DA players (on one force org) had to defend their ship from a boarding tyranid swarm. For some reason 24 stealers sweeping through marines and into the bridge to be met with a bloody hand to hand battle against two Grand Masters, a command squad and six scouts under the command of Sergeant Naaman was the best game turning point I have ever seen. The DA won, but not by much.

Never seen it happen, but DA against anything fielding Cypher.

Dribble Joy
15-04-2007, 23:38
Not really got any favorite match-ups between armies, but I do like to get my WB into CC with almost any choas lord. They allways expect to win untill that str 10 PK splatts them.
Of course they also often end having have some daft item or something that means he's str 9 at int 7 ignoring armour and inv. saves....

Seth the Dark
15-04-2007, 23:41
Whenever I face my Eldar against my friend's Necrons. Since they were both our starting armies, they have a lot of history between them.

kaimarion
15-04-2007, 23:47
I like using my chaos against every thing except marines (hate whirlwinds)

Captain Micha
16-04-2007, 01:24
My Tau vs nids.

or my Bts vs my friends eldar.

I'd like to say my necrons get to fall into the favorite match up lists.. but the only army they seem to fight are my other friends marines.. needless to say it is almost always very bad for my crons...

maybe vs.. my friends nids with them as well..

overall I'd say my tau vs the nids. the games seem to go so great all the time.

Karloth Valois
16-04-2007, 01:30
Orks versus IG battles are nearly always epic fun. It's sometimes nice to fight a battle that is probably one of the most common found in the 40k universe. rather than battles between rare superhuman marines and the elusive Eldar.

Yeah orks versus IG is good, guard being massacred by greenskins in droves, lasguns actually killing things...

Feor
16-04-2007, 02:20
I haven't played much, but the best game I watched was Orks vs. Dark Eldar. Lelith Hesperax swarmed and beaten to death by Grots. :p

Kiro
16-04-2007, 02:36
Tau vs. Orks - very Zulu War stuff. I like.
:D

The_Dark_Raven
16-04-2007, 03:15
i like anything with a good back story,

i like the old school stuff but now a day i would settle for some
Dark Angels w/Azreal:skull: vs Chaos Dark Angels w/Cypher:chrome:

indeed a very fluff filled fight :D i once fought a army fielding cypher in a 12 on 12 or something like that good vs evil 40k game........i got one hit on him the whole time when i was shooting and he didnt mind cutting down men as he jogged along the field.

squigsnok
16-04-2007, 03:20
I too am a fan of the guard vs orks games, as both armies can put out and absorb a quite horrific amount of anti-troop firepower. The best games are always the ones where both sides lose more than 200 models :D

But the best games for me have to be ork vs ork battles. It's always fun to see how different people use the same army, with wildly different lists, and yet always ending up in a sprawling brawl in the middle of the battlefield.

One of my favourite games I've ever played was an orks vs orks vs orks fight we did a fair few years ago now. There'd been an BatRep in WD with Adrian Wood, Alex Boyd and Andy Chambers all duking it out with their ork armies (Grand Warlord Wood won it in the end) and we had a bash at something similar. It was a riot I can tell you, although trying to figure out the 3 way combat that errupted in the middle of the table involving nearly 160 orks was the highlight for me :D

The_Dark_Raven
16-04-2007, 03:34
thats sound sweet,

i used to like seeing the Ork vs Ork battles ... of corse after you have a guy using orks and has a record of 28 - 0 - 1 you get put off.....just a little.
Of corse since then he has ended that by losing in a epic battle were it took a termie armoured master with a power sword to put a cut in the armour of his warboss and the scout snipers to cause some tactic confusion :p

My current Dark Angels army is 0 - 0 - 0.....till i get some more units, though my Empire are yet to pick up a win, they have gotten a draw....but i do prefer the 40k duels.

Lord_Robot
16-04-2007, 03:36
Imperial Guard and Tyranids always make for awsome battles. Battles between my friend's Hormugaunt and Gargoyle heavy army and my infantry heavy IG always result in massive casualties, valiant last stands, and plenty of pyrrhic victories.

Voltaire01
16-04-2007, 04:30
Orks versus Tyranids is always awesome! We get outshot and out fought, but there is always more of us than them!

QuixotesGhost
16-04-2007, 08:25
My favorite opponent for my Sisters is Lost and The Damned because, fluffwise, it's pretty much their iconic enemy.

Lancaster
16-04-2007, 08:43
A Necron vs Ork battle I had with a friend of mine a while ago... The orks ended up winning in the second half after getting ripped in the first half

McGonigle
16-04-2007, 09:01
Infantry Guard against Gaunt heavy Nid's

There is just something in knowing that all the weapons in the army have some chance of doing something. Rather than just being something you throw to annoy the marine player, or in the hope of stupidly bad luck.

That and there is just something to removing hundreds of casualties from both sides a turn.

Sauron90
16-04-2007, 09:24
Space Marines vs Chaos Space marines

Since warhammer isent balanced but those two races are balanced against each other. It always tends to be exiting games.

Great Harlequin
16-04-2007, 09:31
Drop Pods vs Nids

Really edgy game, where the drop pods have to play aggressively and take the fight to the enemy, and hope they don't get swamped in an assault. Absolutely great games you can have with this setup, particularly in missions like Take and Hold and Cleanse. :D

Tyra_Nid
16-04-2007, 09:32
GUARD vs GUARD

Some of the most enjoyable and tactical games, especially on a terrain heavy table with players who arent afraid to move their models, or with semi-mobile/mobile armies.

Tends to be a bloodbath :D

jobi
16-04-2007, 09:35
I love pitting my IW against any AC. Armored Companies usually get decimated by my IW. I love crushing an enemy under my boot.

BA vs. Orks is cool also.

Ronin_eX
16-04-2007, 10:00
I always enjoyed DA vs. SW battles against my friend. They were alway fought to the bitter end and they always had at least a few interesting occurences. I still remember his Wolfguard veteran getting mowed down by a dread, getting back up (had a nice bionic leg) then charging it and defeating it in hand to hand. It was always a fun way to play and always brings back good memories.

Bunnahabhain
16-04-2007, 10:32
My Guard vs either Orks, or other Guard. The hordes of casualties, full mortar platoons annihilating stuff, and the sheer massed firepower....

Ork's drift battles are fun as well, especially if you do have some pith-helmeted re-coats in the middle