PDA

View Full Version : How much wood?

BrotherErekose
16-04-2007, 01:21
Most GW woods pieces I have seen at the LA Battle Bunker and the local GW are on masonite or foamcore, at most 8 inches long, and rarely more than 6 inches deep. Always a soft oval in shape.

There are some felt pieces at the other local game store that have a flat edge to be placed presumably at the field's edge, and it tapers to a point very much an isosceles triangle. It is a foot across the flat edge and nearly 14 inches to the point from the edge (that perpendicular line...the geometry-smart kids can supply the correct term).

There are many others much smaller, in various shaped of golf putting greens and such having little bays of clear, surrounded by trees on 3 sides.

The point for discussion:
Is there larger 'woods' pieces being used? Something approaching 2 square feet? Or more?

For those of us with kroot, that's great. How does it usually affect your army?

A challenge or a pain?

Kymar
16-04-2007, 05:16
Usually I see terrain as in a 12"x12" squares and such try to keep forests to around that size. I see no problem with larger forests, as long as the total terrain amount is acceptable for both players (usually 1/4-1/3 the table for me). It can be fun to play a forest game even if my opponent specialized in it (ie Kroot) for most the time games are played outside of that environment. Especially with all the CoD tables everyone makes now.

RavenMorpheus
16-04-2007, 05:49
What you have to remember with forestry is you need to be able to get at your models in the trees, getting bits of tree stuffed up your nose when you bend over to check LOS of your models doesn't help. And getting them in and out of the trees is a problem if you have too many trees.

Tyra_Nid
16-04-2007, 05:58
At our games club we use green felt pieces in various sizes to represent the area terrain, then a few model trees that can be moved around as detail.

The good thing about this system is that you can use the individual pieces as small clumps, or combine them to make big areas. And moveable trees means you can access minis easily.

Stormhammers
16-04-2007, 06:05
I've played a number of heavily forested games, we have had some large forested areas. For me it was GREAT! I had deathworld vet catachans (when the codex came out) I'm sure if I had used a normal IG army, the results would have been different, but my catachan took well to the jungles, the game was overall fun, more so than many other battles I have had.

For the terrain, we used a number of fet pieces with a few scattared trees, another option is to use some trees and rocks to form an outline of the "heavily forested" areas, it makes movement much easier

Bunnahabhain
16-04-2007, 10:36
Well, wood is cover, so lots of it is good. Just don't moan when the hell hound burns your cover down...

It is also cover I can drive the tanks through if necessary. You though you were safe from the demolisher?

BrotherErekose
17-04-2007, 03:42
What you have to remember with forestry is you need to be able to get at your models in the trees

Thanks, but I think most of us already understand this.

getting bits of tree stuffed up your nose when you bend over to check LOS of your models doesn't help. And getting them in and out of the trees is a problem if you have too many trees.

As for getting debris up your schnoz, I suggest a laser pointer.

And again, two actual tree models or even one, is enough for a piece of felt.

BrotherErekose
17-04-2007, 03:44
At our games club we use green felt pieces in various sizes to represent the area terrain, then a few model trees that can be moved around as detail.

Right. That is the way most places operate, but I wasn't asking about the mechanics of representing forrests.

The subject of discussion is *how* big do you go with some of those areas? Anything larger than a square foot? Do opponents balk at large amounts of woods?

cailus
17-04-2007, 03:50
I love woods even though my Orks always get bogged in it. I love big massive forests in which my guys can get lost but which occassionally save them from evil vile bolters.

A word of warning when modelling though - don't pack too many trees or you can't fit the models in. I think a solution is to glue trees around the edge of the forest and have removable ones placed inside. That way when you want to place models in the wood you can simply remove the trees.

On a related note the same applies to rubble. Yes it does look good to have ruined buildings choked with rubble. But it's a pain when you can't place any models in it without them falling over.

And yes I did learn these things the hard way.

RavenMorpheus
17-04-2007, 04:35
A word of warning when modelling though - don't pack too many trees or you can't fit the models in.

Yeah I said that but apparently everyone knows that already?!

I think that it doesn't really matter how large you go with the tree cover as long as it works for your games, if it doesn't then try something else CoD type of terrain etc.

Maleficum
17-04-2007, 16:49
I am of the opinion that lot's of terrain is nice, and I'm also of the opinion that forests are great! It's nice for hordes, it's cool to imagine and the coversave isn't quite so good as the 4+ of buildings/ruins. We use about A4 sheets, sometimes lot's and sometimes just a little patch.

We also have both "pines/evergreens" and "jungle".

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6982/dsc00445jk8.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00445jk8.jpg)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3489/dscn9107sg1.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn9107sg1.jpg)

The good thing about this system is that you can use the individual pieces as small clumps, or combine them to make big areas. And moveable trees means you can access minis easily.

Yes, simple and easy.

And again, two actual tree models or even one, is enough for a piece of felt

That's really not gonna look any good, is it?

BrotherErekose
18-04-2007, 06:40
That's really not gonna look any good, is it?

I agree. Not so much...but I haven't had the opportunity to use the nice set up like your posted pictures.

Lotsa trees! Nice.
:)

Maarten
18-04-2007, 13:29
Personally I feel that the forest-base should fill the better part of a square foot. Too large and there isn't any open space to get shot in ;) Plus any open spaces can make for interesting firelanes :)

Edit: Maleficum, the board in the last picture looks ace!