PDA

View Full Version : Conversions

huitzilopochtli
16-04-2007, 15:34
ok... here's my problem. all the good units are really expensive to buy!!!

particularily the VCs which my friend plays. When he was getting black nights, he converted a box of empire knights and used them, and thereby saved enough to buy an entire unit of grave guard afterwards!

so now my TK army need to be beefed up a bit. i havent got any tomb guard in it and i'd love to add a large unit of them (around 20) to increase my killing potential. (with WS3, S+T4 and killing blow, they're easily the best killy unit they have!). however, rather than buying an expensive box set or loads of blister packs, i want to have a go at converting like my friend did, but what could i use? has anyone tried converting guys into tomb guard? and has anyone succeeded?
Thanks for your replies.

EvC
16-04-2007, 16:31
Well, for a start, save up all the Tomb King-styled equipment, heavier armour, helmets and accessories; then you can add them to your regular Skeletons. I would at least buy the Tomb King command blister and maybe one blister of proper Tomb Guard for the front rank. The unit won't look as good or as genuine as the proper article, but it'll save you a hell of a lot of money...

Tomb Guard command blister 8
Tomb Guard regulars 7
Two boxes of Tomb King Skeletons 36

Total cost 51, giving you one unit of 24 Tomb Guard and 14 Skeletons, as opposed to 57 for 24 metal Tomb Guard. So even then it's not a huge saving, but you do get a load more extra skeletons as well for your army...

xiau
16-04-2007, 17:11
Well, for a start, save up all the Tomb King-styled equipment, heavier armour, helmets and accessories; then you can add them to your regular Skeletons. I would at least buy the Tomb King command blister and maybe one blister of proper Tomb Guard for the front rank. The unit won't look as good or as genuine as the proper article, but it'll save you a hell of a lot of money...

Tomb Guard command blister 8
Tomb Guard regulars 7
Two boxes of Tomb King Skeletons 36

Total cost 51, giving you one unit of 24 Tomb Guard and 14 Skeletons, as opposed to 57 for 24 metal Tomb Guard. So even then it's not a huge saving, but you do get a load more extra skeletons as well for your army...

basicly what he said =) some skellie bodies have the light armour plate on them, save those, save the skulls with helmets, also on some of the sprues, the champs have the curved swords? save those to, that should give you some lookalike tomb guard, with money saved =)

Stouty
16-04-2007, 18:17
Charioteers also have extra bling if you've got any spare parts from them. Also you can order TK collars from the GW website. Quite cheap IIRC and really differentiate between tomb guard and skellies.

Countblah
16-04-2007, 18:27
Save up all the tombking stuff like EvC said, but instead of buying a two boxes of TK skeleton warriors buy a box of VC skeletons... With a bit off puzzling you will get 20 TG and get 16 extra warriors which you can glue into archers.

Good luck with it

check http://www.freewebs.com/imcountblah for some of my Tombgaurd convertions

huitzilopochtli
16-04-2007, 19:00
Thats not a bad idea... will consider it. Thanks!
but the tomb guard are really heavily armoured. little metal plates and helmets wont represent this well. are there any empire or brettonian foot troops with the right look for a tomb king army? ones that were well armoured that i could just stick on skelly heads and arms in places?

TheWarSmith
16-04-2007, 19:07
Try something like this(MUCH MUCH cheaper).

First off, are Tomb Guard in heavy armour? If they are, this works wonders.

Buy chaos warriors. I'll take pictures of some I have at home that would work pretty well as tomb guard or grave guard.

It's fairly simple. You'll have tons of spare skeleton heads, so just place those where the chaos helm would be(fits w/out any work), and if you want, replace the hands w/ skeleton hands, and replace the shields with TK shields, or even keep the chaos warrior shields, but shave off the chaos symbols.

That'll get ya 24 tomb guard for only $70(35-40 lb.?). The only problem with it is the base size.

Stouty
16-04-2007, 19:07
'Fraid not really, but it ain't so bad. In game terms they only have light armour, and you should see some of the crap that passes for light armour so I don't see any reason for the conversions not working.

They won't look anywhere near as good, I shan't lie but if you paint the conversions more fancy (bright gold where normally a dull brass would have been used) then they will pass muster just fine. The money you save could be spent on more army or a night out :D

huitzilopochtli
16-04-2007, 20:39
ya... think i'll just use a few skellys until i can afford real tomb guard. i have three anyway, (lol! a good start), and if needs be i'll convert a few skellys as suggested. tho i wouldnt mind having a go at the chaos guys thing.... hmmm.... well thanks everyone!

Marcel
16-04-2007, 21:05
i did the plastic tomb gaurd thing and it works just fine. i bought the command blister because i love the models. there is rarely a squabble over what they are during the game.

Chiron
16-04-2007, 22:57
Take a look at my project log in my sig, might get some ideas :)

for chariots I'm using 1 regular unarmoured skeleton and 1 standard khemri skeleton, the spares can be used to convert characters or SSC crew, or just about any elite unit whose models should look substantially different (carrion riders? ;))

Goldenwolf
17-04-2007, 01:43
Converting models is one of my favorite parts.

For this I would say some bits from battlewagon may help your cause if you don't have enough.

However, the High Elves have some decent looking torsos and shields, with skeleton bits from the VC box you should be able to combine these into a very reasonable conversion kit. Using the bits you already have to add flair and maybe even make a command squad so they blend in uniform wise.

Good luck, and let us see some of your pictures when you get going. [dice0]

huitzilopochtli
17-04-2007, 10:37
actualy the high elves idea is a great one! i'll try that when i get the parts. thanks! and if it doesnt work out too well i'll have a load of high elves anyways! thanks!

Jedi152
17-04-2007, 10:41
Do you want to know the secret in constructing plastic tomb guard? Check out the Khemri Blood Bowl team - they have metal collars and helmets sold separately - very cheap when compared to metal tomb guard.

huitzilopochtli
17-04-2007, 14:08
i hadnt thought of that... might use the bits along with a box of high elf archers. i love the clothes, and could make them fit in easily with the right paints. but the khemri bits from blood bowl will add the armour that the archers dont have. one more thing though, how necessary would it be to get the green stuff? is it needed for plastic models?

ice5nake
17-04-2007, 21:39
Look at some of the Blood Bowl sprues on the GW site.

$2.25 for 3 Khemri heads. That would be $14.50 for 21 heads. Not terribly cheap, but if you managed to pick up a cheap lot of the right plastics it wouldn't be too bad.

Just go the the store section and search for head. Also, try "head AND sprue". You'll get lots of ideas I'm sure.