PDA

View Full Version : Give me the pros and cons of a

TEMPLARDAWG
16-04-2007, 18:02
Guard army. I'm thinking of starting a guard army and my second army and was just want to know what every one thinks about the Imperial Guard.

Corrupt
16-04-2007, 18:30
Infinite variety, from elite Grenadiers, to conscript hordes
Same with the models available
Models are humans, with a rifle, just like you, you feel for them
More Tanks than anyone else
Armour 14 and Battle Cannons
Masses of modelling oppertunities.
Redcoats in disciplined firing lines :D
Grizzled Veteran Types
Flamethrower Tanks

Cons
Can be expensive if you choose metal models
Kinda flimsy infantry

mjc1000
16-04-2007, 18:34
Kinda flimsy infantry

suck it in they might not be the best but you can get them a 4+save with a doctrine and you will hae a mass of them charge em orward make sue you have commisars with them or they will un for sure (guard ae anoying for there low ld so make sure you have a vox) hae tanks at the back and storm troopers to deep strike ino enemy lines to flank or counter attack

Guardsmen rule:D

mike for govner!!!!:wtf:

eldaran
16-04-2007, 18:36
3 pie plates for cheap.

Corrupt
16-04-2007, 18:37
suck it in they might not be the best but you can get them a 4+save with a doctrine and you will hae a mass of them charge em orward make sue you have commisars with them or they will un for sure (guard ae anoying for there low ld so make sure you have a vox) hae tanks at the back and storm troopers to deep strike ino enemy lines to flank or counter attack

Guardsmen rule:D

mike for govner!!!!:wtf:

Guardsmen do rule.
Im hardcore and play with with the 5+ (read as no) save
Just he wanted the cons and I gave him the only one I could think of. Its not really, they totally expendable...just some people dislike it

Lord Solar Plexus
16-04-2007, 18:40
A Guard army is very flexible, the Codex holds a wealth of possible options. You can configure anything from a static gunline (SIGAFH), light infiltrating infantry, elite drop troops, to an armoured company if you're a treadhead, and anything hybrid in between. It packs a mean punch with loads of special and heavy weapons, pistols and rifles, guns and ordnance. You'll likely dominate the shooting phase against all but the most drastic hardcore tourny lists.

Aside from codex creep (which the Guard has weathered astonishingly well), it is not an army easily led to victory. Close combat armies are often stronger, fast armies have a distinct advantage, and others are more survivable.

The biggest lure of His Majesty's Most Glorious Imperial Guard however lies in the simple fact that you're commanding a couple of platoons of simple human soldiers with a lasgun, their Imperial Primer and some guts. Well, Ld 7-8 guts, but you get the gist. That's fraking astonishing in a galaxy were everyone else is stronger, faster, better, meaner, has nightvision, an extra arm or better guns.

rintinglen
16-04-2007, 19:10
The big down side to the IG is the large number of models you end up having to paint. :)
Seriously, for me the drawback to the guard is that the Lasgun, their basic infantry weapon is so useless as to be utterly ineffectual. Combine that with their inferior BS, and it takes your whole army to kill anything in power armor.
Necrons just dote on IG armies. (You shoot, half miss, 2/3rds fail to wound, one third of those fail their armor save and half of those stand back up--1/2 x 1/3 x 1/3 x1/2 = 1/36. You have to fire 36 shots to kill one necron, unless you borrow my dice, which seem to have ones on at least three sides). I like the IG armoured companies, but so do Tau and eldar players. Yes, the variety of armys available is fantastic, only the SM have more options, and if you want a horde army, nobody does it better than the guard. I have a conscript platoon that fields 50 models in 250 points. Even the nids have a hard time matching those sorts of numbers. Though, I must say, they don't have much trouble in killing them.

Lord Solar Plexus
16-04-2007, 19:20
Same difference - I have no problem killing Gaunts.

Do you?

AllSystemsGo
16-04-2007, 21:55
One word: Tanks.

I can think of no greater joy than killing heretical scum with my Leman Russ Battle Tank in the name of the God-Emperor.

Regimental
16-04-2007, 22:21
Though I must concer that there is nothing better than the roll of a tank, the big thing going for guard, and it has been stated here a few times, is flexibility. They have some of the best (and worst) troops in the game. Plus they have tweaks to make them shine even brighter.

So it all comes down to what you want from the Guard and what you are willing to paint build and spend money on. if you want cheap, go with Grenadiers and tansk, if you want vast numbers, conscripts and heavy weapon squads, if you want rumble, armoured company.

So I guess the next question is, what do YOU want from your guard?

Reg!

RavenMorpheus
17-04-2007, 00:24
Pros - lots of tanks, lots of models
Cons - lots of models, unwieldy organisation, weak weapons and T, low Ld.

Gandhi
17-04-2007, 00:38
w00t! Welcome to the Guard! Leave your friends, family and emotional baggage here; take up a power pack and wait for a meat bag to die so you can jack his gun. Oh... And here's some tin foil so the bugs can't bite you =P

I love guard.... Not because I relate to them as humans with human emotions and human mortality; not because they have tanks that can pound the living fecal matter out of any army out there.... No no.... I love them because I love to watch 25 of my best die in a fire fight and smile, knowing that wasn't even half my battleforce; I love them because I like rolling over 100 dice even after I've lost so many men my opponents are shaking their heads, wondering why they are out of ammo and still have targets to kill.... Ahh, the joys of battle =)

Right, so enough of my rants about watching things die ^__- Lets get down to it, shall we?

The pros are fairly obvious I think. Lots of infantry for cheap, awesome tanks for supporting your infantry annnnndddd so many possibilities when it comes to conversion/fluff writing and personality. You can also kit them out for your favoured style of combat with the doctrines in the codex, be it Airborne suicide divers, Hard-assed CC fighters or sniper-quality shooters in heavy armour; It's all do able.

The cons... Arree... Well. The infantry WILL die, don't kid yourself on that front. I say if you have at least 20 guys left on the board by the end of the battle you've done extremely well in preserving mens lives for the day. Some people don't like this style of play... But I do =P

Another drawback is that we do lack a good CC unit. I like Ogryns, but they tend to be overpriced for a horde army =( There are also Rough Riders, but those are only good on the first charge, and then they are a waste.

Regimental
17-04-2007, 01:43
Or there are Command Squads, over priced but doable (try a Heroic Officer, Commissar, 2 Medics, 2 Veterans, Priest and Psyker with Hounirifica, all that can carry Power Weps do, psyker has a force weapon, everyone else has CC weapons, oh and everybody has a Storm Bolter :) ).

But yeah, the CC isn't the best.

Gandhi
17-04-2007, 02:28
Or there are Command Squads, over priced but doable (try a Heroic Officer, Commissar, 2 Medics, 2 Veterans, Priest and Psyker with Hounirifica, all that can carry Power Weps do, psyker has a force weapon, everyone else has CC weapons, oh and everybody has a Storm Bolter :) ).

But yeah, the CC isn't the best.

There are some problems with this combo...

Firstly, you can't have 2 medics... And why would you want to if it's a CC squad? Medics can't do jack in CC with their medi pack. Giving everyone stormbolters and power weapons is rediculously expensive for guard O__o I think it would actually be cheaper to buy 50 conscripts and an indy commisar rather than use this command squad =P

mostholycerebus
17-04-2007, 03:31
A ton of models to paint, deploy, and move means it's a sloooow army. Just to field, and then to play.

The upside is that, unlike marines and other elite armies, you don't care if you lose a few dozen men.

Light of the Emperor
17-04-2007, 04:27
You also have a really good range of models to choose from. Of course, most of the regiments are metal...but that didn't stop me! If you want parade ground soldiers then take the Mordians...you want rambo take catachans...you want high tech military look, go with the cadians. Conversion opportunities are endless.

You also have various ways to play the guard thanks to the doctrines and armored company list. No two guard armies are really the same.

If you enjoy converting and painting then the guard are for you. If not, well, there's the biggest drawback of all.

Shrike30
17-04-2007, 05:30
Guard have three things going for them, in my mind:
-Sheer number of infantry on the ground, and the spec/heavy weapons to go with them.
-A wide variety of not-expensive tanks that can dish out the hurt and take a decent amount coming back.
-Rock solid, flexible leadership (you can build a list where you can decide that a squad is going to try and pass it's leadership test with a re-rolled 10 LD, or deliberately fail it with a rerolled 7 LD).

Obviously, you can make lists that don't take advantage of these strengths.

Where they lack is in:
-Mobility
-Close combat ability

The mobility can be compensated somewhat by using Mechanised guard (which lowers your model count significantly, but provides you with an awesome fire platform, the Chimera), Drop Infantry (which puts you at risk for splattering your army across the landscape and/or not being able to concentrate enough fire), Light Infantry (which get a little boned in Alpha missions), or loading up on indirect-fire weapons (reducing some of the need for mobility).

The close combat ability mostly comes from Ogryn, Rough Riders, and Command Squads... all of which can be used effectively, but have some deficiencies in this field overall. The Allies options for the IG can help out with this, however... a number of units that can be attached from the Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters lists can seriously bolster an IG line. A pair of squads of Grey Knight Terminators is apparently popular.

eldaran
17-04-2007, 07:48
now thats just sadistic... that would hurt. Although i really do dig light infantry-infiltrate and move through cover for 1 point per model. That just hurts, especially combined with the cameleoline cloak...

Infiltrating on a piece of cover with a 4+ invulnerable... only time it's worse is when it's a squad of Alpha legion Chosen with a bundle of power fists...

Vaktathi
17-04-2007, 07:54
Pro's:
huge variety of army builds (you can go for elite mechanized stormtroopers or hordes of untrained conscripts and everything in between)
lots of tanks
great heavy support choices
lots of infantry
very customizable
lots of very long range weapons
lots of dakka
FW loves Guard.

cons:
many overpriced doctrines
overpriced transports (80pt Chimera vs 80pt devilfish?)
more expensive to field than other armies in many cases
poor CC abilities and "bleh" BS3 on the vast majority of units.
poor infantry survivability (T3, 5+ or 4+ save)

mjc1000
17-04-2007, 10:08
i love guard especially infantry platoon hq's because they can be upgraded to vetrens and give the whole squad plamsa pistols and power fists took down 2 dreds down in 1 assault turn with only losing a vetren in return

Pious Hearts
17-04-2007, 10:24
Am currently painting an infantry led Death Korps of Krieg army - 30 quid for ten models... 70 models done - NOT a cheap financial investment!!! But looks wonderful on the table!

Bunnahabhain
17-04-2007, 14:16
Flexibility, tanks and huge scope for conversions are all great.

The downsides are mainly the relative lack of CC ability. You can have counter assault units, but they're not really up to a head on assult. If you're not going elite, pick a simple paint scheme that you can do fairly quickly. Your basic infantry don't need to be perfectly done, they need to look good in squads from 24" back.

The numbers problem is made worse by the fact that the Guard become more competitive as you have more points, especially if you stay on 1 FOC. You opponents run out of elite slots, but you can just load up on more basic infantry, which are terrifying en masse. One guardsman is little use, a platoon of 55, with 6 special and 6 heavy weapons is a firestorm which very little survives.