PDA

View Full Version : How should a general gather its troops?

Countblah
16-04-2007, 22:43
After reading warseer for awhile which I really enjoy, and playing WFB for some time now. I see alot of different ways of creating and starting an army.

Now what im interested in is; how do you build your army? Where do you start? and the most important why?
I see alot of people who start with an armylist, buy the models and in between games they paint them. (If they paint them at all ofcourse)

For me it works best when I buy one box/blister at a time, paint it and then go on to the next box/blister.

I'm always reading enough sources on the internet untill I get interested in an army. What models do I like in the army range and for me the most important what models do I like to paint. Then I buy the armybook for any army specific rules on maximum number of units or units I am obliged to use. Starting with some core choices and 2 character blisters after that I will start buying the specials, rares and additional core. Also one at a time.
I like the gaming aspect of Warhammer but putting down unpainted models on the table top is a big no no in my book. When I play games I never use the same army list. Im always creating different armies with the models I have at the moment.

Why I do it like this?
If I would buy a unit I dont like, it will be a pain to paint and my painting standard goes down, because I want to finish it fast.:( The next problem is that my wallet doesn't allow a full army purchase.
So armydeals dont do it for me, because when I have to paint so much models I will not finish it.

Maybe Games Workshop can learn from this thread. ;)

BLAH

reefclaw
16-04-2007, 22:50
i just want to feel the army in me before i start it.
then i take the book.
get a few models i like
build a 500pt army
get it to 2000 pt.
then buy more models i like or need when changing my army.

Wintersdark
16-04-2007, 23:08
Whenever I decide to play a new army, I head out and buy a full army (at least 2000 points worth). I then commence painting while occasionally picking up new troops.

I do it this way because I want to play with it RIGHT away, and while I'll play with unpainted troops (in friendly games, not tourney ones of course) I really hate proxying models. It's confusing, for me and my opponent.

It's expensive, but if I just buy a couple models and paint, but not play with them, I'll never actually build a whole army.

Zink
17-04-2007, 00:32
I'm similar to Wintersdark. I'll pick up individual models for old armies from time to time. But when starting a new one I go big. I drop enough money to get a good playable core and then add on slower afterwards. I'm more of a collector anymore than a player so detailed army lists usually come later. I go with some basic stuff and whatever specials that catch my eye at the time.

Marcel
17-04-2007, 01:02
buy the book and read it first, along with the core rulebook. then, if your still ready to play, start by buying core choices and a character or two. play small games. have fun.
later

Wintersdark
17-04-2007, 01:06
buy the book and read it first, along with the core rulebook. then, if your still ready to play, start by buying core choices and a character or two. play small games. have fun.
laterI should have mentioned this, too. I always buy the book, make sample army lists, that sort of stuff BEFORE buying an army. I want to make sure I like what I'm getting into =)

Once I set out to buy an army, though, I'll save up whatever is necessary to buy a full sized (2k) list up front. Mostly basic stuff, though, that can be used as a foundation for alternate lists as I buy other stuff later.

Crazy Harborc
17-04-2007, 01:08
I started a new army last fall.....Because I picked up approx. 1500 points of Lizzies at a local indie run auction.

The other way is buying a army box or starter box set. I did that with the Brets when it's box came out. I expanded my 6th Edition Orcs and Empire.....bought a total of 3 of 6th's starter box (sold the extra rulebooks):D

Grand Warlord
17-04-2007, 04:29
I make a list then build it with paper blocks (lamenated) and play test til i find a list I like and then build it 500 Pts at a time it doesnt get too relentless and you have what you want in the army without buying models you won't use.

Wintersdark
17-04-2007, 06:49
heh my 6th ed Dark Elves were made up of 3 of the army deals when they were first released. I was a jerk and managed to snag almost every single one of the boxes sold in my local store... They didn't want to sell more than one per person (as they didn't have many) so I just bought them from different people working there. Muahaha! I am teh evil!!!eleventyone!

My orcs were kinda like that: I bought massive mounds of Orcs and Gobbos from the 6th starter set off ebay and local buddies; empire too (though I never fully painted that army.. ugh... those were terrible plastics!)

My Wood Elf army now (which I forgot I had!) I bought nearly all at once too. Just need to pick up a couple boxes of Dryads on payday and I'm good to go for serious 2000 pt games.

The paper/card thing does work, but I find I really don't enjoy playing that way. Either being the player with the paper units or not, I find it hard to recognize units for what they are when they're paper. Makes me make really bad decisions in the middle of the game :( I'll always play against people doing that, but I can't stand doing it myself.

Also, I really dislike playing games under 1500 pts, and even then I'm kinda sketchy. Armies are balanced around 2000 pts moreso than anything else, and it's really clear in smaller games. It's not too bad if both people are playing really "light" lists, but it can get really ugly fast.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-04-2007, 09:32
As Wintersdark, I buy the whole army in one go. Didn't started that way, but then, I didn't had the money for a full army purchase when I was a kid. These days I don't buy much, but if I really want an army, I'll go out and buy it. If I buy it a unit at a time, it's a waste of effort, as if I can't go out and play with it, I won't bother. Painting is something thats done for taking the army to tournaments, so will happen over time.

Wadders
17-04-2007, 09:43
I think we all do it to some degree.... buy large chunks of models with the plan of painting them at some point..... its only when we enter a tournament, get a stern warning from a club/GW/store to paint them - do any brushes touch the mini's

For picking the Army, well I think it is like women.... everyone has there taste, fat ogres, sexy witch elves, super model skeletons or bearded dwarfs.... but you never know what you will be drawn towards.

I started off with Undead many moons ago, cos i got a few skeletons from a friend. I always wanted the Skeleton Army boxset (9.99) with the Chariot, Warriors and horsemen.... when i got that, its down hill from there.... Nothing but undead for years

Bliss

Now i am obsessed over the Empire.

lilljonas
17-04-2007, 10:46
I used to just get a bunch of models and barely get past basecoating before my attention drifted when I was younger. That makes for a very diverse collection of half painted 300-500 pts armies. This time around, I found a concept that I really liked, I carefully scouted for miniatures that would fit, and then I got a strict scheme of painting one unit at a time, and get them all done before moving on to the next. Also, I got the "don't have more than one unpainted unit around", so I can't buy any new guys before I paint a whole unit. That's the best encouragement you could get IMO.

The results? I'm past 1000 pts painted after 3 months, and I'm aiming to get 2000pts within 3 more months. You can't argue with results. :)

EDIT: for the actual process, I first got three infantry units, and then started with detachments. Now I'm moving on to cavalry, and then I'll do characters. After that, I'll flesh out some units, add an infantry block or two, and then add small touches until I'm happy with the army. Having done a couple of the large blocks in the beginning is good for painting morale!

Wintersdark
17-04-2007, 16:58
I think we all do it to some degree.... buy large chunks of models with the plan of painting them at some point..... its only when we enter a tournament, get a stern warning from a club/GW/store to paint them - do any brushes touch the mini's~laughs~ That's me. While at my local club it's not a big deal at all, it's always an impending tourney that makes me buckle down and actually paint them. I love collecting, playing, and particularly modelling - Modelling is actually my favourite part - but I'm really not particularly fond of painting beyond a showpeice model or two. Gets old very fast for me.

For picking the Army, well I think it is like women.... everyone has there taste, fat ogres, sexy witch elves, super model skeletons or bearded dwarfs.... but you never know what you will be drawn towards.Oh my god. That's awesome. Sigged :)

Arhalien
17-04-2007, 17:38
My army building method is to choose an army I want to do (generally several months in advance while I'm still working on one), find out some of the basic points values and rules before working out an army very simply on a calculator to see if i can fit in all that I'd like to. I then get the army book and a core choice or two, which I then assemble and paint. Unlike many people I only buy new stuff when i've finished the stuff I have already. It could be because I realise how sensible it is and because I'm not interested in playing with them straight away, but it's probably because it takes me a while to have the money to buy more stuff ;)

Countblah
17-04-2007, 17:43
Wadders

I think we all do it to some degree.... buy large chunks of models with the plan of painting them at some point..... its only when we enter a tournament, get a stern warning from a club/GW/store to paint them - do any brushes touch the mini's

Yeah at some point.... with me thats like never. So you say you only paint armies for tournaments? I think a full painted army makes the hobby complete.... I know everyone thinks of it different or likes gaming more than painting. But I think, when you have a full painted army (at any painting skill level) you can be more proud when you game.

lilljonas
That was my problem too, I buy too much... interest in the stuff I bought goes down and I never finish it properly. I still have like 12 lizardmen coldone riders in my bitz box from like 5 years ago, never finished them.... a stone troll from BFSP (dont like the model)..... 4 bases of snotties and snotling crew for 2 pumpwagons left too paint(got one too many and my interests dropped). This is what I can think of at the moment I still have unpainted...

Is there no one who starts with an army list.... buys the complete army and sticks with the list for a long time. Because that was my assumption ( is it the right word?:eyebrows: ) people make and army, after reading warseer for 2 years now.

BLAH

grg3d
17-04-2007, 19:11
Well for me to collect a ďNew ArmyĒ itís kind of a weird process for me as I get an Idea on the composition of the army I want to build then go and buy all of it in one go.(well sorta of as I shop around looking for a better price good example was the terminatorís $65.00 shipped from England to me (USA) Ebay was like Ĺ off retail and was new in box to boot so look around you can find deals!

Then I make up 500pt to 2000pt lists ( using AB) and paint them in groups of 500pt or units really depends on what I want to paint to what I need in the ďcurrent ď Army.

Example, I just started to collect a Space Marine army (Yes itís the first time for me collecting them) so I know how I want it to look so I went out and bought are you ready for thisÖ.
1. commander box
2. command squad box
3. 1 dreadnaught (with 2 Forge World optional weapons/ multi melta & plasma cannon)
4. 2 boxes of plastic terminators
5. 2 boxes of assault marines( total 10 man squad)
6. 2 boxes of scouts one of each kind (sniper/bolter)
7. 4 sets of 10 man tactical SM from Macregge box sets
8. 1 whirlwind
9. 1 razorback
10. 2 rhinoís
11. 1 predator
12. 2 drop pods made by some guy in Australia, 1 for a dreadnaught/ 1 for troops
13. 2 boxes of the new devastators (all plastic)
14. Space Marine Codex

So now Iím making a 500pt list using the above and Iím going to paint it before I can use anything else from my list of models (or so the theory goís) itís the very first time Iím trying it as I usually put everything together first and get overwhelmed by how many I have to paint this time around Iím going to try it differently hope my will power is strong

pcgamer72
17-04-2007, 19:14
I play enough games that I pretty much know what type of list I would use if I ever played that army. So, when I start a new army, I go out and buy a whole bunch of stuff all at once. I'm not a painter, so I usually end up paying someone to paint it for me (or if I'm lucky friends just do it.)

Wintersdark
17-04-2007, 22:01
Yeah at some point.... with me thats like never. So you say you only paint armies for tournaments? I think a full painted army makes the hobby complete.... I know everyone thinks of it different or likes gaming more than painting. But I think, when you have a full painted army (at any painting skill level) you can be more proud when you game.

I agree with this completely. For me, the tournaments are what provide the motivation to do it though. I'm a solid painter, do good work, but I really don't particularly like painting. Actually, I hate it, aside from one-off models. Monsters, characters, stuff like that are great, but rank and file troops? It's the same thing, over and over (and over and over.) Consider I've had 2 10k+ armies, one of them a horde army (greenskins). I've painted thousands of models... and I didn't like doing it to start with :)

Still, having painted armies adds a lot to the game. I much prefer playing with them, seeing them on the table, all that stuff.

But... Like I said, I hate painting and need motivation to actually get it done. Between work and other RL commitments, it's tough to spend the time painting when you don't like doing it :)

Crazy Harborc
18-04-2007, 02:27
My painting is just basic. I go for the "it looks good on the table top" painting level. For me it's the gaming that matters, I repeat for me. Over the last 40 plus years of gaming, I have painted approx 10 thousand (plus) minies. For the last 20 years, I have normally had approx 3500 painted minies in my gaming collection. They do get rotated out/sold in local indie auctions.

WLBjork
18-04-2007, 05:33
Depends.

My first Space Marine army consisted of new and second hand models gathered over the years. Then I got rid of them when 3rd ed. came out - hated it.

After a bit, I got back into it (still don't like 40K though), and bought the Space Wolves Army Deal on the day of release (GW Lenton thankfully, but they still had to put it together for me!), and I've added to that over the years, mostly new models but also some second hand stuff.

The Dwarfs I started collecting during my first 40K period, the Army Book, the Bugmans Command Blister, 3 Champion Blisters, a Stonethrower, an Organ Gun and half a dozen of the old boxes of plastic Warriors (8 single pose models for £6). Later I added 2-3 boxes of the multipose models, but nothing much happened until four or more years ago when 40K was dropped at the games club in favour of WHFB. Even when we weren't playing WHFB, I kept the Dwarfs through thick and thin. Since then they've been expanded dramatically, what with the Skull Pass units, the Dwarf Army Deal units from the last release and other models as well.

Overt_Spy
18-04-2007, 05:58
Once I think of an army I usually check out the army book, and usually buy it (evident by me owning 7 army books, 8 if you count the old Empire book, only I have 2 armies that are complete enough to play with.)

Luckily I live about 10 minutes away from the GW Seattle Battle Bunker and if I can arange it (hard as heck to find Fantasy Players here in Seattle/ Bellevue) I play a small 500 - 750 Pt game using the Store army + some of my own units that I bought.

If I decide to run with an army (or believe I can stick to that army) i'll usually buy all HQ units first. I always enjoy painting them most, and I like my army more if the general and company are painted, even if the army itself isnt.

Then I tend to buy in 500 Pt intervuls. Usually it takes a month or so to paint and assemble each 500 points (of course that'll depend on units, as 500 pts of Ogres will paint a helluva lot quicker than 500 pts of Skaven.)

Once it reaches a lofty pt value (1,000 than 2,000) i'll play it and modify it as I see fit. Thats how I built my Dwarf Army and how i'm planning on buying muh Orcs.

As for the whole painting discussion, the thing that motivates me to paint is my own guilt I feel if I don't paint them. When I look at my assembled, but unpainted troops and I realize it cost me $50 to buy these guys, and if they sit too long, I start feeling like I wasted money on them, so i'll sometimes just drag out old models and paint them. (Example: I recently finished one of my old Bretonnian knights that I bought earlier)

My money, or lack there of keeps me motivated to keep painting. I just dont feel fulfiled unless my troops are all painted.

Killshot
18-04-2007, 06:05
Wadders

Is there no one who starts with an army list.... buys the complete army and sticks with the list for a long time. Because that was my assumption ( is it the right word?:eyebrows: ) people make and army, after reading warseer for 2 years now.

BLAH

I normally build an army using models I like. So I pretty much buy models and make them fit into the army. :) I would never finish an army if there were models in it I didn't like.

Everyone is different in how they go about building an army. I pick a general I like, some core models that I want and go from there.

19-04-2007, 06:05
I look at what models I like then I buythem. then I make a list and buy anything that I still need then I paint them all.

I guess for me if you like the modles youll paint them.

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-04-2007, 12:41

BLAH

Thats what I do. Work out a 2k list for Warhammer and then buy the models I'll need for it. After that it will generally change very little.

I've had my vampire count army for 4 years(I think), and it's 90% the same army as I started with. The heroes got changed around, and Black Knights was replaced by Grave Guards, but thats about it.

WLBjork
19-04-2007, 20:12
2K?! Good grief, I've passed the 8K level for Dwarfs and I still have half the army deal and half the models from BfSP lying around waiting to be stuck up!!

I'm probably at a similar level with my Space Wolves, but they're away for painting (I can't paint to save my life, but one guy at our club loves painting and does some nice quality models), so I can't total them up.

Mind you, we do occasionally play 10K+ megabattles, or sometimes a mini-campaign where only 2 forces are present.

Wintersdark
19-04-2007, 22:10
2K?! Good grief, I've passed the 8K level for Dwarfs and I still have half the army deal and half the models from BfSP lying around waiting to be stuck up!!

I'm probably at a similar level with my Space Wolves, but they're away for painting (I can't paint to save my life, but one guy at our club loves painting and does some nice quality models), so I can't total them up.

Mind you, we do occasionally play 10K+ megabattles, or sometimes a mini-campaign where only 2 forces are present.

~laughs~ I'm talking about when you first pick up a new force :) I wish I had the money to lay down for a huge army immediately, but 8000 points is a bit extreme.

My armies always grow - and grow very large =) My greenskins were my pride and joy, being able to field a 10k list of well painted models... without tooled up characters and other such points sinks at all. When I was making that army, I was doing security work at this place where my job was to be inside a small, well lit building, alone, for 12 hour shifts, and to stay awake. So... I got paid $20/hr to paint models. Not bad! Around 10k in dark elves too, but it's less impressive with them as they're so expensive point wise.

WLBjork
20-04-2007, 05:35
As I said before, I just bought stuff, then left it lying around for ages and added to it so when I actually came to make the army, I had a ton of points - with the Dwarfs anyhow.

Watcher666
20-04-2007, 10:06
i bought my WEs (now around 2500 pts) in little bits couple of units at a time.

but for my BoC im planning on buying 500pt blocks

spikedog
20-04-2007, 13:06
I bought the first core units (1000 points) of my VC in one go and painted them all before buying anything new then I have been adding a unit at a time both in buying and painting. It gives me a chance to try out new stuff in the list an see what I like as well as building up a nice army that I haven't (yet) got sick of painting.

This is in stark contrast to my Skaven which I bought pretty much all in one go up to 2k and got sick of looking at unpainted models.

I say buy 1k covering most of the basic core units types and adding one at a time, this gives you time to paint them and keeps the army fresh.