PDA

View Full Version : I hate people getting rid of stuff on ebay!

the_reaper
16-04-2007, 23:25
Now now, before you go postal on me, let me explain

some people show pictures of really s*** painted models, i mean really the dogs dinner (not even that)
and they claim they are well/pro painted, ofcourse these could be parents trying to empty attics etc, for them i'll make an acception:rolleyes:

I am always over reacting, but if people feel the same way, post on this tread! NOW!

-reaper :p

scratchbuilt
16-04-2007, 23:35
That sucks.
But ebay is a good way of getting lots of models (if just for bits), and old models. You can strip the paint, or if its thin just paint over. But its a big gamble. Sometimes takes ages to arrive. Sometimes you get old defunct books when you thought you were getting the new one etc.

The game is afoot
17-04-2007, 00:41
It doesn't really matter because if the models are poorly painted, they simply won't sell for decent money, they may not even sell at all.
We might be geeks, but we're discerning geeks.;)

RavenMorpheus
17-04-2007, 05:37
I love it - gives you a chance to laugh at other peoples ideas of painting and how they try to "big up" an item, the "pro-painted" listings spring to mind.

Occasionally though you get some good stuff - I saw 5 unpainted CSM terminators going cheap the other day but then when I looked a few hours later they'd either been removed or bought before the end of the auction.

Zink
17-04-2007, 06:01
I'm all for crappy e-bay auctions. If the price stays nice and low I'll buy them up and get paint stripping! It's the stuff that's actually well painted that breaks my heart. I can't afford what they deserve for it.

escobar
17-04-2007, 06:13
I'm with Zink on this - bought some extremely crappy painted devestators on ebay for next to nothing - cleaned up the metal bits and combined with some plastics I had lying around - 2 new 5 man squads for under a fiver...

That said I am really specific on my ebay sales and price accordingly - try and strip the models myself before i sell...

generulpoleaxe
17-04-2007, 07:07
ebay is the culprit.
it advises people to put stuff like that in the description and title.

Wadders
17-04-2007, 08:14
It angers me when i see PRO painted, who gave them a degree in miniature painting? when was the last time they were in White Dwarf or had an expo?

Most over used word on ebay....

I saw an army of Tau on there today, that have been painted with what looks like a tank brush all over and most of the details are lost when look close...

and it says painted by a TEAM of pro's..... $800 start or $1000 buyout....

the annoying thing is - - someone WILL buy it (and the buyer will be American I am afraid to say)

Bombot
17-04-2007, 10:24
Someone will pop up any minute to say that these sellers are entitled to say ‘pro’ painted as they are selling something they painted.

Anyone with any sense knows that ‘pro painted’ is just a running joke on eBay. Try not to burst a blood vessel over it and laugh at the efforts instead.

Angelwing
17-04-2007, 13:46
It doesn't really matter because if the models are poorly painted, they simply won't sell for decent money, they may not even sell at all.

which suits me. get them dirt cheap, then strip them. You will be amazed at what can be rescued from paint hell.:D

Bookwrak
17-04-2007, 14:02
the annoying thing is - - someone WILL buy it (and the buyer will be American I am afraid to say)
:wtf:
Is there some sort of American conspiracy to buy crappy models that I need to be made aware of, because I've got some old sad 'nids that I need to get rid of.

Avian
17-04-2007, 14:15
Someone will pop up any minute to say that these sellers are entitled to say ‘pro’ painted as they are selling something they painted.
Surely not if they have any grasp of English? It is only pro-painted if painting is your profession (i.e. your job).

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 14:30
I'm a fan of selling ANY ol crud on E-bay.

If you can get a buyer then bully for you.

As a buyer myself I will bid extremely low on painted minis cause I will have to strip them and that's always a pain.
I don't like other folks painting my models and they won't match the rest of my minis anyways so...

squiggoth
17-04-2007, 15:43
I saw an army of Tau on there today, that have been painted with what looks like a tank brush all over and most of the details are lost when look close...

and it says painted by a TEAM of pro's..... $800 start or $1000 buyout....

If you think this: http://cgi.ebay.nl/Warhammer-40K-Tau-Army-1850-pts-PAINTED_W0QQitemZ260106080176QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44 123QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem army is painted with a tank brush, then you should put your Magical Tank Brush on eBay. It should be worth quite a lot.
Or maybe you're excaggerating a bit. :angel:

Anyway, I love "pro-painted" auctions as they often attract very few bidders and final prices are low. 90% discount? Yes please! :D

Bombot
17-04-2007, 16:09
Surely not if they have any grasp of English? It is only pro-painted if painting is your profession (i.e. your job).

well, you could argue not even that works. If you want to get pedantic then there are only a few true professions (doctor, lawyer, accountant, engineer - that kind of thing).

So the everyday definition of 'professional' is not the original definition. As such, there's some wiggle room and I've seen the comment I made posted many a time before. It's not something I really agree with.

Bookwrak
17-04-2007, 16:18
If you think this: http://cgi.ebay.nl/Warhammer-40K-Tau-Army-1850-pts-PAINTED_W0QQitemZ260106080176QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44 123QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem army is painted with a tank brush, then you should put your Magical Tank Brush on eBay. It should be worth quite a lot.
Or maybe you're excaggerating a bit. :angel:

Anyway, I love "pro-painted" auctions as they often attract very few bidders and final prices are low. 90% discount? Yes please! :D

While certainly not worth $800 to me, that is definitely a nicely painted army, I must learn their great secrets, if they have a magical tank brush that can do that. :skull:

the1stpip
17-04-2007, 17:04
It is a nicely painted army, but there is nothing special about it.

It is funny, cos I consider myself to be a good painter, but compared to some 'pro' stuff on ebay, I'm frickin Mike McVey...

Damien 1427
17-04-2007, 17:16

Indeed. If you make money from painting miniatures, you count it as your profession, the models are painted by a professional, and as such they're "pro-painted".

So, technically, one could argue any painted models on eBay are "pro-painted". But to get to the point, "pro-painted" has never meant "well painted". If that was the case, it'd have "Golden Daemon standard" or even "'Eavy Metal standard".

Bombot
17-04-2007, 17:27
Think about it this way - once upon a time Victoria Beckham was a professional singer.

Fred_Scuttle
17-04-2007, 18:50
Some of you - please commence to un-bunching underware.

As long as the pictures are accurate - and the items delivered as advertised - the armies are worth EXACTLY what the buyer payed for them **TO THAT BUYER**.

And if no one feels they are worth what the seller is asking - they will not sell.

Can we please stop the hand wringing OMGWTF!!11:confused: over what people sell and what people buy?

I know all of you come from some form of consumer driven society, I don't think we get many Communist Chinese or Cuban players on here.

What people buy with their money is no comment on you.

Beacuse someone did does not mean you will or would.

Because someone can does not mean if you can't they are better than you.

I have more than $1000 between savings accounts. I could spend that on a pre painted army and my Mortgage, Heat, Electric, Credit Cards, Insurance, Phone, Cable TV, Interwebz, Water and Food expenses would all still be able to be paid.

I am at an age where I have a little more money than free time. I would love to snap my fingers, suck my Paypal account dry and have a great looking 2000pt army at my beck and call. But it's not WORTH it to me.

To me, it's not WORTH taking that money and removing the possibility of spending it on something else ( Macross toys - I'm looking at YOU! )

To me, it's not WORTH missing out on the hard fought time and effort of building and painting my own force which will most assurredly turn out at a lower quality than an army that would reasonably sell for $1000.00

Worth = desire/cost. I do not desire it enough in relation to the large cost.

But someone else may. Because I do not does not mean they wont.

Because they do does not mean I will.

Live and let live - sell and let buy.

Fred Out.

BTW - Anyone else blocked from spell check? If someone knows how to fix it please PM me.

grg3d
17-04-2007, 19:39
I sell stuff all the time on ebay its a great way to turn your unwanted nightmares....erm I mean your pro painted models into cash so you can go and buy more little army men so you can mess them up too :p

Look for me this weekend on ebay as I get rid of models that I no longer want or need or have had so long they are older than my children...
dam adiction....

Hi my name is grg3d and I'm a lead junkie please buy my stuff so I can beacome a plastic junkie :D

Gaius_Baltar
17-04-2007, 22:08
Well on Ebay, i always see some uber rare GW minis going for sale, most go for their proper current value "like 50$ for the uber rare commanders and stuff"
but there's always those auctions of the random mom who's "getting ridd of clutter" and "accidentally" sells all the poor guys minis for dirt cheep.

Damien 1427
17-04-2007, 22:56
Think about it this way - once upon a time Victoria Beckham was a professional singer.

Yup. Just not a good one. World o' difference.

Snapchuck
18-04-2007, 00:46
Poor people like me I'm sure are quite willing to put up with the debatable crust of descriptions to get to the real meat of an ebay auction if it means sourcing armies for cheap. And i'm quite willing to part random moms of their clutter anyday.

Codsticker
18-04-2007, 03:56
I don't know about "pro-painted" but I recently bought 2000 pts. of Tyranids that was advertised as "nicely" painted, which they weren't. Most of the models were half red and half metallic blue and those that weren't were all metallic blue. I can't complain though: the whole batch cost me only $212 CN after shipping.

Osbad
18-04-2007, 08:59
You've got to realise that many unfamiliar with the hobby consider what are really basic, naff paintjobs to be OK. What they are comparing them to are the kind of "Toy Soldier" mass-produced painting that you see on, well, Toy Soldiers in toy shops.

Many don't understand that a much higher quality is relatively easily achieved with basic techniques such as highlighting etc., they just haven't come across it before - maybe they never saw white dwarf, or possibly (I know many kids like this) they never even owned the rulebook: they just bought a box of models and some paints and "did it their way", and then promptly quit the hobby as even that level of commitment was beyond them.

Of course there are also others who oversell their inadequate painting skills, but you should never buy something on eBay you aren't entirely happy about paying for.

Personally I often buy batches of poorly painted stuff as it is cheaper than new stuff as fewer bid on them. A few minutes in a bath of Acetone works wonders!

And as a post script: Mom's clearing the clutter are my friends. My biggest bargain yet was actually advertised in the local newspaper's classified ads. It was some spoiled brat's unwanted Christmas present: A Land Raider, an Ork Dreadnought, a GW figure case and several random blisters of Orks and Space Marines. All mint in shrink-wrap/blister and advertised for £35! Anyhow, I beat the Mom down in hard bargaining to £30 (she really didn't have the first clue how much the stuff was worth!), kept the case (what had originally attracted my attention as I was in need of one) and flogged the rest on eBay for nearly full price! I made a fortune that day. *sighs* Wish they always were so easy! :D

The game is afoot
18-04-2007, 19:19
That reminds me of when my former manager threw 9 assembled and painted Land Raiders into the public bin outside the store in a box. (Sheer madness) I was doing the late Vets night shift and when I closed up I put some rubbish in the bin and spotted a Landraider peeking out of an open flap in the box, opened it to find a treasure trove and then spent half an hour repacking my bag to carry them all on my bike.
They fetched a small fortune on eBay. They almost completely paid for two armies I bought from Vendel Games, Woohoo !
If only GW stuff still fetched those prices these days.

sigur
18-04-2007, 19:23
I actually like people selling GW stuff on ebay. Especially OOP things.:) Get a bottle of break fluid/aceton every six months and all your "pro-painted" problems are solved (literally, hurhur). Speaking of all this "pro-painted!!!111" stuff....it's good for a smile here and then, but I'm not mad at people lying that way. Sure, it's wrong but most people know/see if a thing is badly painted or not.

dblaz3r
20-04-2007, 05:05
exactly, just take a look at the picture and if you want it buy it, or don`t. I love ebay so many deals not enough money.

Bretagne
20-04-2007, 05:41
why are you complaining? thanks to eBay, i dont have to give another dime to those bourgoise fascists at GW.

Quin 242
20-04-2007, 16:50
Yeah.. you mean the guys that are making the game that you seem to like?
Horrible fascists...

They definately ARE capitalists... but get a clue.

Rob0362
20-04-2007, 17:03
Pro Painted just means I have NO IDEA HOW to Paint

OR

MY Friends Really SUCK

Bookwrak
20-04-2007, 18:08
why are you complaining? thanks to eBay, i dont have to give another dime to those bourgoise fascists at GW.

:eyebrows: People really talk like this?

Coasty
20-04-2007, 18:13
Can you be both of those at once?

Quin 242
20-04-2007, 18:40
bour∑geois

adjective

Definition:

1. conventional: associated with affluent middle-class people, who are often characterized as conventional, conservative, or materialistic in outlook

2. capitalist: according to Marxist theory, relating to the social class that owns the means of producing wealth and is regarded as exploiting the working class

fas∑cism
Pronunciation: 'fa-"shi-z&m also 'fa-"si-
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian fascismo, from fascio bundle, fasces, group, from Latin fascis bundle & fasces fasces
1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army fascism and brutality -- J. W. Aldridge>
- fas∑cist /-shist also -sist/ noun or adjective, often capitalized
- fas∑cis∑tic /fa-'shis-tik also -'sis-/ adjective, often capitalized
- fas∑cis∑ti∑cal∑ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb, often capitalized

fascist Show phonetics
adjective (ALSO fascistic)
fascist groups
a fascist dictator/regime

fascist Show phonetics
noun [C]
1 someone who supports fascism

2 a person of the far right in politics

3 DISAPPROVING someone who does not allow any opposition:
He reckons all policemen are fascists and bullies.

cap∑i∑tal∑ist [ kŠppit'list ]

noun (plural cap∑i∑tal∑ists)

Definition:

1. investor: an investor of money in business for profit

2. believer in capitalism: a supporter of capitalism, or a participant in a capitalist economy

3. somebody rich: somebody who is wealthy, especially somebody made rich by capitalism and considered to be greedy ( informal )

So as long as you are a capitalist lover of your own country.. (and support a central authority) it appears so...

Archaon
20-04-2007, 18:46
The only thing that's bothering me is how crappy some pictures are.

Seriously.. haven't people noticed that good pictures automatically mean more incentive to buy something especially on the internet where pictures are the only way to judge something?

I don't mean that everybody should buy pro-level digital cameras and an expensive lighting rig but even 4 year old cameras would be decent enough if you pay attention to have enough light and to use either a tripod or a steady hand.

I almost get mad at dark and blurry shots where you can't make out a single detail but only see an unfocused shot of something that may be a decently painted mini.

Quin 242
20-04-2007, 19:03
I'd say that the more unfoccussed a pic is the less likely that you will like whatever comes in the mail :)

Brushmonkey
20-04-2007, 19:58
Perhaps the pic is actually IN FOCUS, and the mini is so badly painted it just looks unfoccused...

Spacemunkie
20-04-2007, 20:49
Who cares?

The seller paid for the auction. If you don't like it, you don't buy it!

Good source of cheap models if you ask me....

FLUEVOG
20-04-2007, 20:51
I've installed working holo-fields in all my Eldar tanks - so, they're supposed to be blurry.

Bookwrak
21-04-2007, 07:49
Could you give me one for my car? Might keep people from dinging it in the parking lot.