PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Genestealers

Aundae
17-04-2007, 01:07
I was thinking about making a vanguard army consisting of nothing but genestealers, lectors, and a broodlord. However I am not a big fan of plastic miniatures, so GW genestealers are out. Thus I was wondering if anyone has seen a good replacement. I was thinking about the Koralon brood but thought I should get a second opinion.

http://www.urbanmammoth.co.uk/acatalog/Koralon_Blister_Packs.html

Also as a side I have never seen this type of army used before, is it any good?

Thanks

salty
17-04-2007, 01:18
Well, firstly, if you didnt already know, by using non-GW miniatures your army will not be allowed in GW Stores or tournaments. So if you play most of your games in GW, this probably isnt a great idea.

Personally, I dont like those models. With a bit of Greenstuff work, the Genestealers can look very nice, and can be made to look as though they have evolved along different strains (see NAVARRO's work).

Salty :)

Krog Ironclaw
17-04-2007, 01:21
Those would make nice Genestealer stand-ins. The army should perform fairly well, nothing requires synapse which is nice, give them extended carapace for a decent save, good leadership, RENDING. All in all I say it'd make for a fun challenging army. Only problem you would have is Stealers are expensive in terms of points. But since this is intended to be a vangaurd army, that should not be a problem.

Leftenant Gashrog
17-04-2007, 02:04
hmm, i do rather like those miniatures.. i definately plan on getting some of the hybrids for something in a chaos force, and the regular koralons would definately do nicely for some minor alien race.. but i dont really see them as tyranid proxies (i tend to associate the smaller tyranids with speed, which i dont really see with those)

ps: totally useless trivia: the concept art for all those miniatures was done by Adrian Smith ~ the same artist who did the cover to the 3e Tyranid Codex

Krog Ironclaw
17-04-2007, 02:48
ps: totally useless trivia: the concept art for all those miniatures was done by Adrian Smith ~ the same artist who did the cover to the 3e Tyranid Codex

I can kinda see that. Cool.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-04-2007, 09:39
Looks more like Raveners to me, but if you don't use any of those, then fair enough I suppose.

lars4life
17-04-2007, 09:46

Thanks

Since you are going to be using non GW minis so probably not running against tourney lists, then you do well with it, if you play smart.

Mojaco
17-04-2007, 10:13
If you're using ravener look-a-likes, you might as well use gw raveners...

But why hate on plastic? With some models I understand, but the nids are just fine. The box gives a nice variety of equipment and heads too.

Zedric
17-04-2007, 13:28
If it's just a pewter fetish, there's always the option of buying droves of old metal genestealers. They look virtually the same, so I can't imagine anyone charging premiums for old lots on eBay or Bartertown.

For the record, I like the brood minis.

the1stpip
17-04-2007, 13:41
Having considered an all Stealer army (using the old plastics) its a nice idea, but if you come up agaionst a mainly skimmer army, you're screwed...

Stella Cadente
17-04-2007, 13:46

Trust me its not a new idea, I've fought it many many many times, and each time it slaughters me, so it is a VERY effective type of army, almost too effective, people who have done such lists have quickly ran out of opponents due to nobody wanting to play it.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just warning of the dangers it may do socially

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 14:28
You could use Genestealer Hybrid conversions along with Cultists to get a decent Genestealer army as well.

Overlord Krycis
17-04-2007, 15:09
Woo! Scottish games company!
Sorry about that...*regains composure*

I agree with quite a few of the posters here...if you want "different" Genestealers, then, just use the older models or GS them...all of the Urban Mammoth miniatures will stop you being able to play in ANY GW store or GW ran event.

Aundae
17-04-2007, 19:15
Thank you all very much for your input. Iíll take a look and see if I can get a hold of some the metal genestealers on the cheap, otherwise I think I will give this a try.

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 19:21
Well for completeness and honesty.. Those models just suck. They are lacking detail and honestly, they would lack the abililty to locomote. The little tiny legs are increadibly small and too close together to get the amount of bulk involved moving at any speed.

Just poorly designed really :(

xenotaph
18-04-2007, 00:04
From playing a vanguard army there is nothing much you can do vs an assault cannon heavy army. Since that is what you will mostly see just be prepared for lots of losses.

Raddman
18-04-2007, 05:29
I just played my 2000pts of my 13th Co. vs. a Nid army with 46 Genestealers in it. He also had 2 Gunfexes, 3 ravaners, 2 lictors, 3 of the floaty psycher guys, and one BroodLord.

His genestealers had 5 WS, 5 Str, Rending and 4+ save.... Hittting on 3's, wounding on 3's AND Rending!!

That was a tough game. I lost, horribly. It is hard to win in HtH when they go 1st, and rending is insane.

It is not a real fun army to play against. I would play it again, but with lots o Heavy bolters!!

[dice0][dice1]

Bregalad
18-04-2007, 08:58
I have bought some old miniatures of the "Aliens" movies, as they were the inspirantion for the Genestealers. Hard to find nowadays though and a bit on the small side.

Aundae
18-04-2007, 18:35
I would like to thank everyone for their input. I have been looking around to see if there are other alternatives for even the Urban Mammoth miniatures. So far I have not had very much luck. I am concerned however about this army list being cheesy or overpowered if someone is not prepared for it specifically. As such I think I will put it on the back burner for right now, and again, my thanks to all of you for your input.

Quin 242
18-04-2007, 21:50
It's only cheesy if you tailor it to beat a specific force that you know what is in it and the other guy doesn't know what's coming.

Having a good list is part of winning.

HsojVvad
19-04-2007, 00:07
whats wrong with plastics? I usually read that people didn't like metal. This is a change for once lol.

Just curious, here is a trick I read. Give your Genies Extended Carapace but don't give your Broodie it. You can use the rules for from your Broodie and have an extra move on turn one, and the first time you take hits, give them to your Broodie, let him die, and now your Genies can fleet. A bit expensive in points to get an extra move on turn one, but it could be worth it to get that extra first turn hit.