PDA

View Full Version : Cityfight terrain layouts

gitburna
17-04-2007, 13:54
Hey doods, ive just started creating some buildings and after the first few games, im wondering wether there is enough terrain on the table. Despite what the rulebook says, dictating the number of stratagems and ruins, my tables seem too empty. Im wondering wether the actual city ruins im using are too small, foot print size, and wanted to see what size your buildings are, mine are roughly 6 x 8", sometimes triangular or sometimes squared. I'm wondering wether i just tried to spread the sprues out too much. I got the 50 box with the rulebook and barricades and 2 buildings in it, and have used the old gothic ruins for the rest.

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 14:11
Yeah that's not near enough.

For a city fight you should have at 25% of the table surface covered with ruins/rubble/ terrain.

Definately need at least 2-3 buildings in each quarter.

Democratus
17-04-2007, 14:55
The number of buildings in a City Fight is determined by the encounter level. Omega missions tell you to stuff as many buildings as you can, while Alpha missions typically only have 3 buildings.

I wish they hadn't done it this way. It would be nice to play an Alpha or Gamma game on a board filled with debris and ruins.

Reaver83
17-04-2007, 14:58
i think city fight is great with lots of terrain, shooting is damn hard and you need the strategems to even it out (and i'm a khorne player) close combat is where it's at and even thats strange due to so many grenades being used.

But frequently me and a mate have used two of the 50 box sets for a 4*4 board - at 1500 points thats pretty perfect imho

gitburna
17-04-2007, 16:09
What about building sizes though? Mine are roughly 4 tiles by 3 tiles, They dont seem to take up enough space though.

Perhaps i should just get to creating some corrugated cardboard buildings, and rubble piles! I will watch some Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan for inspiration :)

Maarten
17-04-2007, 16:21
Just try to cram all the terrain into one corner of the table. If it completely covers one quarter you'll have enough for the average game.

Having lots of terrain can look great, but don't overdo it. Moving around will be a nightmare. It could also mean non-skimmer vehicles won't fit anymore on the "streets" between the terrain pieces. :)

Rosethorn
17-04-2007, 16:23
The number of buildings in a City Fight is determined by the encounter level. Omega missions tell you to stuff as many buildings as you can, while Alpha missions typically only have 3 buildings.

I wish they hadn't done it this way. It would be nice to play an Alpha or Gamma game on a board filled with debris and ruins.

I played my first CoD game this weekend and I agree. There were 3 big buildings from the Imperial Sector set for an alpha mission, and it seemed empty to me too. I'm probably going to do what gitburna's doing and make a bunch of rubble piles to fill the empty areas for now. I'd like to get another Sector set sometime. Throne, I wish it didn't cost $90.

answer_is_42
17-04-2007, 16:25
If you want some cheap buildings, try: http://www.amera.co.uk/
I havent bought any meself, but it looks pretty good.

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 16:36
If you want some cheap buildings, try: http://www.amera.co.uk/
I havent bought any meself, but it looks pretty good.

Those are mighty nifty.. and the ruins look like they should be pretty sturdy...
Do you know if Plastic glue is the best choice or would super glue be a beter option on those?
And do they hold paint well?

Vacuum formed plastic generally needs a bit of roughing to hold paint...

answer_is_42
17-04-2007, 16:45
Those are mighty nifty.. and the ruins look like they should be pretty sturdy...
Do you know if Plastic glue is the best choice or would super glue be a beter option on those?
And do they hold paint well?

Vacuum formed plastic generally needs a bit of roughing to hold paint...

Most of the answers to your questions are under "painting tips" on the website. I don't think they need gluing together, but I'd use super glue (not that I really know).
I'm planning on buying some of the stuff for Necromunda, so i'll find out.

Malempo
17-04-2007, 16:49
Me and my friends play using the GW city fight table cover 6 x 4. We play with the following rules : streets are streets, non-building rubble is aera terrain 2 covers save 4+. We put generally between 8 and 11 buildings on the map. The buildings size are wysiwyg, between 2 and 5 floors.

The games are really fun and CoD gave a whole new life to my SoB army.

CryoMax
17-04-2007, 23:02
For a city fight you should have at 25% of the table surface covered with ruins/rubble/ terrain.

Actually, the 40k rulebook says that for even regular games, 25% of the table should be covered with terrain. So on a 6x4 table, you should have 6 12"x12" terrain features (p79 of the mini rulebook).

I would suggest building out a few 'corners' to help define your triangular terrain; a triangle is half the size of a rectangle, by definition.

I've used the two ruined corners from the 3rd edition boxed set as "resizable"; on separate bases, use them to make an adjustable terrain piece; just set the corners opposite each other as far away as you want; draw some imaginary lines between them, with the walls, and call that entire area "a building".

I built a building out of foam core and a few bits from Home Depot, and I think I measured it to be about 12" square. It was cheap, fairly easy, and gets me 17% of the way towards the amount of scenery I need for a 6x4 table. :)

Scenery's a tough transition, I find, from miniatures; where on a miniature you're "thinking small", because you want details and such to be in scale with the size of the miniature, for scenery, you want to "think big". Check out the terrain modelling forum here for some great ideas and pictures. One guy took the Cities of Death sets, and just inserted the wall sections between pieces of masonite; it allowed the one set to add nice detail to a much larger building piece, built primarily out of masonite (IIRC), which is much cheaper. :)

...Paul

Mr Hat
18-04-2007, 02:03
I go for 8-9 buildings on a 6x4 table. I leave 8" spaces inbetween to represent streets.

Decius
18-04-2007, 02:12
At my club, we use loads of buildings (partly because we actually have loads of buildings). On a 6 x 4 table, we cram as many buildings as we can while maintaining 5" to 6" wide streets and maybe a few larger gaps. I don't know what that works out to as a percentage but it might be more than 25% or even 35%. Even if we play Alpha level missions, we use that much terrain. The games are so much fun and look so cool.

Stella Cadente
18-04-2007, 03:03
well once I get my board started and finished, its gonna be maybe 70%+ of city, so its gonna be pretty close quarters fighting

Khornies & milk
18-04-2007, 05:07
The way our group worked it out was this...
180cm x 120cm (6' x 4' for you archaic lot - hehe) is 24 30cm x 30cm tiles.
So 18 tiles is 75% area terrain.
We are still in the process of building and figure we need a total of 3 Imperial Sector boxes, and 1 single Manufactorum box which will give us...
1 x 4 tile, 2 x 2 tile, and 4 x 1 tile - total of 7 buildings.

Our board is either going to be a Desert or Jungle theme, so will include 4 tiles of either overgrown parkland, or sandy rock formations/outcrops. We also made our own barricades and rubble piles, umm 12 altogether.
Total terrain should be 18 tiles so 75% on the button.
One building in particular is very big, basically the 8 Administratum sprues.

A question for you - how high have you gone on your buildings, and is there an optimum level of actual in-game levels? Of the CoD games i've played players generally don't position their squads any higher than the 2nd Storey.

cheers.

cailus
18-04-2007, 05:24
Having lots of terrain can look great, but don't overdo it. Moving around will be a nightmare. It could also mean non-skimmer vehicles won't fit anymore on the "streets" between the terrain pieces. :)

IMO this is the sort of stuff that makes the game more realistic. Sometimes tanks and other heavy vehicles will struggle to get through rubble choked or narrow streets so you need to rely on footsloggers.

As to how much terrain you need, it helps to have a narrative. It also helps if your buildings have purpose e.g. a hab block, a factory.

Last Cities of Death game I played actually had an area where there was no terrain. This represented a parade ground for a military barracks. Surrounding the ground were bunkers, an old cardboard Imperial Command tower and snadbagged positions. Across from the Command Tower was a giant church and around it hab units other than in one corner where there was a bombed out fuel depot with oil tanks and a bombed out storage building.