PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Like Best About 40K?

holymarine
17-04-2007, 13:58
I was speaking to a few of my friends the other day (both 40k enthusiasts) and asked the same question as the thread title. So my question to you is which one do you like out of the above and if you want tell us why. And sorry if there is already one of these

Eniac
17-04-2007, 14:05
I find the artwork these days seriously lacking. If I want to look at cool 40k art I go to Deviantart.

I personally like the fast and easy gameplay. If I am too knackered to have to think about a wargame but still want to play one, I choose 40k because it is simple and fun. You do not have an option for that though.

The models are easy enough to get and they are simple to paint.

Joewrightgm
17-04-2007, 14:10
I got drawn into (Read: addicted) to 40k because of its truly unique story, the miniatures, the artwork and armies.

Captain Micha
17-04-2007, 14:13
I got suckered in by the story and artwork at first then the novels... then I saw my first Tau ships in bfg and I knew I was hooked...

shortly after my first thing was purchased... a devilfish!

the only thing I do not like is the non sensicle things that they have at some point... like why on earth is some 21st century tech waaay ahead of 41st milinium tech?

but overall I love how things fit together. (Personally I -like- the necrontyr fluff thank you very much.... )

Mr_Smiley
17-04-2007, 14:26
The only thing I don't like about 40K is the price and the idiots you occasionally end up playing against.

Bunnahabhain
17-04-2007, 14:39
The look on peoples faces when a rampaging wall of armour appears. You and your opponent both know that these are the key units that will win or lose the battle, and all your tactics and luck will be concentrated about these few units, it really crystallines the whole game.

Plus, they're a nice size of model to work on, I find the infantry too fiddly to convert that much, but with tanks you are only limited by you imagination, and the size of your bitz box...

Democratus
17-04-2007, 14:51
You left out "playing the tactical game". You could at least have included an "other" category.

I like the game because I like solving tactical puzzles and matching wits against other players. I like this game in particular because it's the only tactical tabletop game that is popular enough to find so many opponents.

The_Dragon_Rising
17-04-2007, 15:06
Not on there but- playing actual games of 40K.

Da Reddaneks
17-04-2007, 15:14
getting out of the house, spending time with friends, friendly competition.

moose
17-04-2007, 15:16
Not on there but- playing actual games of 40K.

Definatley! So much fun in a few dice rolls!

Macrus
17-04-2007, 15:19
I think that every thing is good. Thought some of the models are not that good but there are ones there are really good. Like the GK termiators.

Macrus

holymarine
17-04-2007, 15:45
Yeah sorry forgot to add playing the actual game. If anyone knows how to add it then I will

Eniac
17-04-2007, 15:51
You also need an "Other" option as well

ashc
17-04-2007, 16:36
The reason I keep coming back to this game is for the background; the models are nice but overpriced.

If the IP GW has wasn't so compelling I would have been out a decade ago.

Ash

kaimarion
17-04-2007, 16:45
I voted all of the above
and the only thing i dislike about the game is defeatist players who give up when there land rasider or daemon prince gets killed!

ancient_conflict
17-04-2007, 17:45
lol the fluff is the best bit but its allllllll goooood

aside from one thing:-

the way their prices make my credit card run from my grasp when i wanna use it

Eniac
17-04-2007, 17:47
lol the fluff is the best bit but its allllllll goooood

aside from one thing:-

the way their prices make my credit card run from my grasp when i wanna use it

Simple solutions:

1: get a debit card with no overdraft and cut up your credit card. CC's suck.

2: Buy from eBay or online indies. Much cheaper.

Getz
17-04-2007, 18:19
You left out "playing the tactical game". You could at least have included an "other" category.

I like the game because I like solving tactical puzzles and matching wits against other players. I like this game in particular because it's the only tactical tabletop game that is popular enough to find so many opponents.

Quoted for truth...

40K has merits as a wargame - it is fast playing and can handle quite large games easily, but the main reason I play it is because it's the game veryone else plays.

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 18:23
I would like to add another option please???

Playing the game.

MADJAP77
17-04-2007, 18:39
its a place where you have a skeleton outline that you can build off of into your own cup of tea. plus chicks love gaming nerds

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 18:46
Chicks DO love game geeks.. I think it's the Pheremones?? ;)

mjc1000
17-04-2007, 19:04
the background story as it really clawed me in:D

mjc1000
17-04-2007, 19:11
make a other option because you are missing alot of reasons why people play 40k

holymarine
17-04-2007, 20:13
I would but dont know how

insectum7
17-04-2007, 20:47
Quoted for truth...
40K has merits as a wargame - it is fast playing and can handle quite large games easily, but the main reason I play it is because it's the game veryone else plays.

Word. The game itself is really great. And the popularity of it usually means that there are new opponents all the time.

Oh right, "Space Marines are teh awesome" ought to be on that poll too... I would choose it.:)

sigur
17-04-2007, 21:02
For me, it's a mix of the background and the miniatures. One couldn't really work without the other. The artwork also plays a big role in that, I think.

Gamingwise, I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't that fast and big if we got a more solid ruleset instead. :eyebrows:

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-04-2007, 01:12
I voted "all of the above" because at one point of another, all of the mentioned things have gotten me hooked/kept me interested in 40K.

At some point in that 20-year span, every one of the "above" has likely also been the thing I HATED the most.

But I kept interest.

40K, since 1987, was the only "Science Fiction" game that presented in its background and spirit a complete 180-degree turn from the usual fare of SFRPG/"futuristic" wargaming.

SFRPGs told us that space was big and endlessly inviting, that along with the danger there was endless excitement and discovery.

WH40K told what Lovecraft already knew: Space is Hell itself. Cold, and apparently empty. And that its physical cold and emptiness was also the best thing about it. That physical and psychic menace swarmed through it.

SFRPGs told us that technology was wonderful and that, despite the worst it could do (nukes, mutation, environmental disaster), all that we needed was to have the right heroic Men to harness technology appropriately, and we could do wonders.

40K let us know that the Age of Wonder had been reached already, and its very existence had led to...

...well, to the 41st Millenium, where ignorant fearful peasants are praying to tractors, and exalting weaponry above people. That's where love of technology got Humanity.

SFRPGs told us that Buck Rogers was cool. That Star Frontiers was cool. That the seaminess and ugliness of the future, the "hives of scum and villainy", were the exception,to be reviled and overcome.

40K let us know that those Hives were the f@kking NORM. That the seamy and grotty, ugly Future was the only one in which Humanity had a chance of surviving. That the other options were...well, there were no other options. Not for Humanity.

40K was, and is, unique in that sense, and has continued to carry a spark of that originality for a long time. No other GAME really accomplished what it did.

mistformsquirrel
18-04-2007, 01:15
For me, the biggest thing isn't listed. So I chose "All of the above"

What gets me though really is the flavor of things. You have high fantasy blended seemlessly with science fiction. Machine-Priests, knights with plasma guns riding steel horses (bikes), tanks dedicated to the God-Emperor...

You get the idea. It just brings together two of my favorite things really. The fact that there's actually a use for melee combat is nice too.

dblaz3r
18-04-2007, 07:18
All of the above for me, the models and backstory are great, the armies have something for everyone and playing the game is the shizz.

Griffin
18-04-2007, 08:08
Everything, but fluff is the best thing of all.

mongoosedog300
18-04-2007, 09:06
all of the above and more :D I like all the models and fluff, and artwork, but most of all I love acctually playing the game and hangin with my friends, always good for a laugh:D

Cadian 21st
18-04-2007, 09:19
40K was, and is, unique in that sense, and has continued to carry a spark of that originality for a long time. No other GAME really accomplished what it did.

- QFT. I can relate to everything you've said...except that I haven't been playing for nearly as long.