PDA

View Full Version : Harlequins units?

knight of ne
17-04-2007, 20:45
Hi, just got a question but fluff wise, what are all the different classes of soldiers harlequins and the black library have?

thanks
knight of ne

Rabid Bunny 666
17-04-2007, 20:49
As far as i'm aware, there are;

Great Harlequins: Leaders of the Harelquins on the battlefield
Shadowseers: Psykers
Solitares: Souless butchers (they really do make stuff red)
Death Jesters: Mobile firepower
Harlequin Tropuers: Bog standard Harlies
Venoms: Stripped down Vyper, troop transport
Harlequin Jetbike Troupers: Exactly what it says on the tin.

ash_wednesday
17-04-2007, 20:52
Are they just another unit choice for the Eldar or are they a complete army in itself like the dark eldar?

knight of ne
17-04-2007, 20:54
i know that fluff wise they had more than what you can get in the codex but sadly there no longer a seperate army list.

would it be fluffy to have a harlequin version of rangers and pathfinders?

sorta rangers who have managed to find the black library and been granted a chance to travel with harlie troupes and fight along side them.

knight of ne

intellectawe
17-04-2007, 20:58
He forgot about Mimes. They are also a Troop Choice among the Harllequin Black Library army. The Mimies are the pathfinders/rangers table top wise, but I don't know fluff wise.

sigur
17-04-2007, 20:59
they also have Land Raiders, but nobody must know ;)

knight of ne
17-04-2007, 21:03
Thanks for the help.

knight of ne

Quin 242
17-04-2007, 21:08
And you forget that they at one point had Harlequin Dreadnaughts as well.

loveless
17-04-2007, 21:30
I just got a wonderful image of someone being too loud in the Black Library and a Solitaire "politely" quieting them.

Just decided to share *shrugs*

Karhedron
17-04-2007, 22:11
I just got a wonderful image of someone being too loud in the Black Library and a Solitaire "politely" quieting them.
:eek:

I would hate to see what happened to anyone who returned a book late. If the Solitaire stats in the old BL list was anything to go by then they would need to steam-clean the carpets an awful lot!

Crassus
17-04-2007, 22:13
i would quite like to see a converted harly wraithlord

sigur
17-04-2007, 22:18
If you would like that, do something about it. Like entering it in the search field on coolminiornot.com. It will give you five results. There's also a Harlequins Project Log in the Sci-Fi Project Log section which features a nice Harlequin Wraithlord.

Bregalad
17-04-2007, 22:50
That reminds me that GW UK took the Harlequin list with description of all units offline, not even found in the archive.
GW USA still has it:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/eldar/gaming/assets/harlequins.pdf
Here is some fan made paper on Harlequin background:
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/safezone/doty/dotyhome/40k/HC/FLUFF.pdf

Icarus
17-04-2007, 23:34
i would quite like to see a converted harly wraithlord

I saw a scratch-built one once. It looked like a colourful cross between a Wraithlord and those squid-robots from the Matrix, to justify a wraithlord being able to get through the tiny tunnels of the webway. Looked pretty cool.

carl
17-04-2007, 23:44
Everybody has forgotten one last unit type.

The dreaded unknown, unspeakable Sentinels of the Black Library itself.

They don't do anything but Guard the Library, and you'd never see them on the battlefield. Their sole purpose is to guard the Webway entrances to the Black Library.

This is about all we know about them:

As to the Sentinels of the Black Library, their true nature remains and unspoken secret, yet they are described as the most terrible of perils in the Webway and the most dreaded individuals amongst the Eldar kindreds.

And considering parts of the Webway lead straight to the eye of terror and thus presumably in some cases straight into one of the chaos gods themselves, saying they are the most terrible peril in the Webway makes them VERY scary indeed.

Norminator
17-04-2007, 23:47
I saw a scratch-built one once. It looked like a colourful cross between a Wraithlord and those squid-robots from the Matrix, to justify a wraithlord being able to get through the tiny tunnels of the webway. Looked pretty cool.

How are the webway tunnels small? They can fit entire craftworld through them :confused:

intellectawe
17-04-2007, 23:55
Some tunnels are small, some tunnels are vast.

Bregalad
18-04-2007, 01:29
The usual Harlequin Wraithlord is just the standard one with the Harlequin Jetbike hull replacing the head (pic 1).
But of course you can do conversions (pic 2 and 3) ;)

Krog Ironclaw
18-04-2007, 06:12
Harlies had Land Raiders? Where did this Heresy come from?

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-04-2007, 07:19
In RT. Just as the Imperium had Shuriken Catapults and Jetbikes.

Anyway, a few things. A harlequin Wraithlord is an impossibility. Wraithlords are powered by a Spirit Stone, and Harlequins don't have one. There is no way they could actually create a Wraithlord, and I can't see where it would fit into there plays either.

As for harlequin rangers. Again, can't see it happen. There wouldn't be any point to it, harlequins are dancers, historians and actors. And super elite soldiers that fight chaos. Rangers are entirely different and doesn't really fit into the harlequin mould. Besides, harlequins is already better inflitrators than rangers. Anyone remember the story about an imperial commander assasinated inside his own fortress, with a playing card with a harlequin mask on left as a calling card?

vuren
18-04-2007, 08:45
actually gorbad, you could take a wraithlord for the harles in 3rd edition(it was in the same update so to speak, that the mimes came into the game)

carl
18-04-2007, 11:48
actually gorbad, you could take a wraithlord for the harles in 3rd edition(it was in the same update so to speak, that the mimes came into the game)

They included it, but it wasn't very fluffy as their was never any justification.

elvinltl
18-04-2007, 12:25
The Converted Wraithlords are hideous. Honestly! The painting is excellent and the conversion is technically flawless but the theme is quite off i feel. I picture Harlequins as elegant, colourful, sophisticated and still somewhat retain a serious tone. On contrary to belief, Harlequins arn't Gay Performers. Think of them as a High Class Masque goers.

There are also Mannequins. No idea what they are, most probably low grade Harlequin Troupes.

Quin 242
18-04-2007, 14:02
Harlequins have have Dreads since they first came on the scene in Rogue Trader. The Article in White dwarf that introduced AHrlies as an "Army" also had them able to get Wraithlords.

The later fluff turned the soulstones into the only way to pilot a Wraithlord and that conflicted with the army list.

I'd like to see the Assassin robots back and in the harlie list.
Dunno if any of you remember them? They were the precursors to the Wraithguard.

Krog Ironclaw
18-04-2007, 19:05
I'd like to see the Assassin robots back and in the harlie list.
Dunno if any of you remember them? They were the precursors to the Wraithguard.

Yeah they are shown in the Classic Eldar section of the big fikkin catalog. Those little guys are cool. Whats the deal with them though? Are they just small Wraithguard?

Quin 242
18-04-2007, 19:11
They were a seperate unit type that you'd buy individually. Not like Wraithguard by much other than they were constructs.

They were fast and had a substance called stealthene on them that let them sneaky sneak sneak... They carried a horrendous arsenal (chainsword (Back when that meant S4), powerfist and flamer OR double powerfist and Shurikat if I recall rightly?) and would be sent individually out to kill stuff :)

And they were tough too if I recall... I'll post some more factual matter this eve... I'm at work just now.
You can see them here: http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2101eldardreadnoughts.htm

sliganian
18-04-2007, 19:16
The 3rd edition or CJ Harlie WraithLords were obscene. In addition to the horrid cheese that was Wraithlords in 3rd edition (when you COULD target the guy with the Powerfist in Assault), the Harlie WL's had a 4+ Invulnerable save IN ADDITION TO T8, 3+ save.
ugh.

Quin 242
18-04-2007, 20:14
The 3rd edition or CJ Harlie WraithLords were obscene. In addition to the horrid cheese that was Wraithlords in 3rd edition (when you COULD target the guy with the Powerfist in Assault), the Harlie WL's had a 4+ Invulnerable save IN ADDITION TO T8, 3+ save.
ugh.

At one point there were also Spirit Lords or some such with the power of a wraithlord COMBINED with a farseer :)

Krog Ironclaw
19-04-2007, 00:01
You can see them here: http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2101eldardreadnoughts.htm

Ah the good ol days when everyone had Lascannons and Plasma Guns.

The Wraithlord and War Walker look kinda weird, but then Im used to the new ones.

I still want a couple of the little guys.

Wraithbored
19-04-2007, 00:11
First and foremost I am a big fan of all thing Eldar. And of course the guardians of the black library interest me greatly. I'd like to some a little artwork and fluff but no stats. I don't want a "harlequin c'tan" liek thing striding accross the battlefield.

elvinltl
19-04-2007, 09:07
The furthest we can go is a Harlequin army with converted models using the stats of the vanilla Eldar. :(

Quin 242
19-04-2007, 11:44
OR you can use the Dark eldar Wytch rules :)