PDA

View Full Version : Forest goblin infantry: how to convince GW?

fritsk
18-04-2007, 07:54
Yup, I know they aren't in the codex, but the forest goblins are the only part of the O&G range that lacks serious variety. And besides, they would only need to take the designs of the forest goblin spider riders and put different legs on them.
I looked at the spider riders, but their crouched position doesn't work as infantry.
So, what would help in convicing GW that this might be a good idea? A poll with a huge positive turnout?

I also saw the other thread with the picture of a GW article on how to convert normal goblins, but I like the style of the new smaller forest goblins a lot more.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-04-2007, 09:21
Not going to happen. You can do all the polls you like, but there are little reason to do Forest Goblin infantry.

They are not a unit type in the book, so why make models for them? I can't recall any other unit that would have 2(or 3 really)different plastic sets for the same unit. You already have Common and Night Goblins.
They would need to do something special to justify getting a unit entry and then models, not just be common goblins with feathers. And clearly the designers didn't thought there was a need for a 3rd Goblin type in the book. Or maybe there just wasn't enough production capacity to make them, and they got cut, who knows.

Chances of seeing them before the book gets redone is virtually zero.
If you want Forest Goblin infantry, you would have to convert them.

Jedi152
18-04-2007, 09:30
Sigh. I remember the days when you could choose between night goblin shamans and forest goblins shamans, who could use spider venom to stave off the effects of a miscast, or something.

snurl
18-04-2007, 09:43
Yes, They sound interesting, but what would set them apart from other gobbos, besides living in the forest?

As an alternative, convert a bunch of forest goblins and use them as a "counts as" wood elf army.

C-Coen
18-04-2007, 10:31
As an alternative, convert a bunch of forest goblins and use them as a "counts as" wood elf army.

Yeah, that would indeed set them apart from normal Gobbo's: BS 4!

On one side it would be nice if they should bring the Forest Goblins back, but on the other side GW already made enough Orcs&Goblins stuff. Other armies need more differnt units. O&G already have (one of) the most versatile army in the WH world. But when they brought the Spider Riders back, I exspected more Forest Greenskins. This is like giving a WE army a Treeman, but no Tree kin or Dryads. Just one kind of the beasts, but not all you could easily imagine..

fritsk
18-04-2007, 10:37
Well, what sets spider riders apart from wolf riders? I don't think there is much difference anyway, so they could easily have left them out and still have a good variety of unit types. Now the forest goblins stand out: we have bunches of orcs, normal gobbos and night gobbos, but just 1 unit type of forest gobbos, and I suspect that giving them some special rule without making things unbalanced wouldn't be that difficult.

So, they were probably left out because of production schedules/capacity problems. If GW thinks there is enough interest to sell a pile of them, then why wouldn't they introduce them during one of their yearly campaigns?

So it all comes back to: is there any chance at all that GW can be convinced they'll sell a pile of them?

Avian
18-04-2007, 10:48
Reasonably speaking, forest goblin infantry would just be the same as basic goblins, but starting with shields instead of light armour and not having any option for light armour. If there is enough interest in them when the book is redone (in about five and a half years), then they might get an entry...

Bingo the Fun Monkey
18-04-2007, 11:00
They could be scouts and skirmishers/missile screens. They could be beastmasters that goad gigantic spiders. They could do all kinds of things with them.

DeathlessDraich
18-04-2007, 11:21
So, they were probably left out because of production schedules/capacity problems. If GW thinks there is enough interest to sell a pile of them, then why wouldn't they introduce them during one of their yearly campaigns?

GW has its own agenda which extends for several years.
If you would like an alternative Goblin army, try this:

http://www.warseer.com/sylass/TheNextEra/Chaos%20Goblins.doc

Griefbringer
18-04-2007, 12:15
There was a range of metal forest goblin infantry released back in 1992-93, and I believe they are still available through the mail order.

Brother Siccarius
18-04-2007, 21:27
Yup, I know they aren't in the codex, but the forest goblins are the only part of the O&G range that lacks serious variety. And besides, they would only need to take the designs of the forest goblin spider riders and put different legs on them.
I looked at the spider riders, but their crouched position doesn't work as infantry.
So, what would help in convicing GW that this might be a good idea? A poll with a huge positive turnout?

I also saw the other thread with the picture of a GW article on how to convert normal goblins, but I like the style of the new smaller forest goblins a lot more.

So you want goblins wearing little to no armor using spears and hand weapons and shields...you mean common goblins?

Felworth
18-04-2007, 22:25
So you want goblins wearing little to no armor using spears and hand weapons and shields...you mean common goblins?

Nah, common goblins come with light armor.

Scouting gobbos would be rather nice, something to at least give the appearance of threatening enemy war machines.

Brother Siccarius
18-04-2007, 22:25
Nah, common goblins come with light armor.

Scouting gobbos would be rather nice, something to at least give the appearance of threatening enemy war machines.

Squig hoppers then?

Felworth
18-04-2007, 22:35
Squig hoppers then?

I love those hoppy nutters. Or maybe I just love having skirmishers in the army book, even if they move 2D6... thus often times leaving them well within enemy charge range/magic missile attack.

Marcel
18-04-2007, 22:40
why do you need rules for them? why not convert and play them with savage orcs?

EvC
18-04-2007, 22:48
I doubt you could convince GW, but a good first step would be to not use the term "codex" in any request or petition you might make.

Forest Goblins would be a good avenue for Forge World to explore making... if, you know, they ever madea thing for Fantasy.

lilljonas
18-04-2007, 23:21
Why not get the old metal forest gobbo miniatures? Their sculpts were pretty ok, and in the end you'll get them faster than by trying to petition GW or Forgeworld. Sure, units of metal gobbos are quite expensive, but that's how all of us rolled back in the days. :)

Voss
19-04-2007, 06:39
Here's a way to get them to do more forest goblins- buy *all* of the archived forest gobbo minis. And scarf up any ebay auctions. Squirrel them away and make them rarest thing ever done in lead/pewter.
Create the demand!

Griefbringer
19-04-2007, 08:55
Squig hoppers then?

Squig-spiders? Remove the legs from a squig and replace them with spider legs!

As for the leg infantry, I would still recommend getting the old metal forest goblins - being archived they might be a bit costy (but Forge World versions would be a lot pricier), but they are readily available. And if people buy lots of them there is a (very) slight chance that GW might end up making new models after having noticed the demand.

Enterpricing folks might even manage to make something by combining the plastic common goblins with sufficient amounts of green stuff, sculpted in the shape of feathers and bones and other strangeness, combined with an exotic paint job.

fritsk
19-04-2007, 09:06
Well, I might be picky, but I like the new forest goblins. Converting normal gobbos would lead to much larger models which is not what I want, and the older metal ones are a completely different style.
An alternative would be to kitbash the spider riders, but for that I would need a cunning plan to give them new legs (the riders, not the spiders).

And I am not after something new rules wise, just after new models. I mean, the current spider riders don't add much different compared to wolf riders, so I suspect they were just added because somebody thought they looked cool.

Ross
19-04-2007, 14:31
Enterpricing folks might even manage to make something by combining the plastic common goblins with sufficient amounts of green stuff, sculpted in the shape of feathers and bones and other strangeness, combined with an exotic paint job.

Converting normal gobbos would lead to much larger models which is not what I want, and the older metal ones are a completely different style.

Not wanting to start a fight, but I had the same idea as griefbringer, feathers arn't that hard to sculpt, same for little string pouches/bones.

Fluff wise, would it be concievable that the riders be smaller and more agile to avoid their mounts when apropriate, where-as the grunt/scouts be a bit more robust (for a goblin)?

fritsk
20-04-2007, 08:02
Yup, I agree that by kitbashing the normal goblins you could get nice forest goblins. It is just that (IMHO), it would be a lot nicer to have ones in a similar scale to the spider riders(they look meaner as well). I'll see whether I can't kitbash some of these riders, but the way the legs are attached things are pretty fiddly.

Revlid
20-04-2007, 08:37
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/Revlid/ForestGoblin1.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/Revlid/ForestGoblins2.jpg

fritsk
20-04-2007, 11:57
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/Revlid/ForestGoblins2.jpg

I had not seen that second picture yet. Thanks!