PDA

View Full Version : Thrud the Barbarian: Issue 5

Carlos
18-04-2007, 18:02
Carl Chritchlow has finally released issue 5 of the Thrud the Barbarian comic. Anyone else got it? Its bloody funny!

sir.spamalot
18-04-2007, 19:43
Why is this in GW general discussion?

OrlyggJafnakol
18-04-2007, 20:16
Thrudd used to appear in good old White Dwarf when it was a magazine that you could read instead of an advert for small boys. It also had book reviews!

They even made a few miniatures of him.

Quin 242
18-04-2007, 20:17
Back in the Good old days of crazyness and alternate content.

WD used to be an independant games magazine with articles for numerous games etc. There was even some Dungeons and dragons content at one point ;)

OrlyggJafnakol
18-04-2007, 20:20
GW made its name selling D&D... I remember when WD went 100% GW only... Oh the moaning and the complaints. A bit like now really, so nothing really changes...

RobC
18-04-2007, 22:34
Thrud #5 is nice. Well drawn, lacking in plot, but acceptable. Could do with a bit more to it, but when you only get one copy of Thrud every 12-18 months it's not quite as noticeable a lack as when it's a monthly comic with a somewhat... formulaic plot.

Bring on the bad puns!

EVIL INC
18-04-2007, 23:30
Are these available in the U.S.? I have the old one of him published by GW and remember him from the magazines. I loved him.
I have the new BB model of him and I have the old original model on him leaning on the axe and scratching his head.

james1225
18-04-2007, 23:31
Check out heresy miniatures new LTD 90mm thrud. Sculpted by Kev White.

sir.spamalot
19-04-2007, 01:03
Thrudd used to appear in good old White Dwarf when it was a magazine that you could read instead of an advert for small boys. It also had book reviews!

They even made a few miniatures of him.
Oh, I guess I jumped to conclusions, thanks for telling me.

cheers

Lord Malek The Red Knight
19-04-2007, 02:07
Carl Chritchlow has finally released issue 5 of the Thrud the Barbarian comic. Anyone else got it? Its bloody funny!
ive bought it, but im saving it for a rainy day (it comes out what, once every 2 years... so i thought i may as well hold off reading it for a bit :p).

glad to hear its good though. :D

~ Tim

RobC
19-04-2007, 08:15
Are these available in the U.S.?
They're as available as they are anywhere else in the world. Send an email to info@thrudthebarbarian.com for international orders.

Sai-Lauren
19-04-2007, 09:52
They're as available as they are anywhere else in the world. Send an email to info@thrudthebarbarian.com for international orders.

Direct from Carl Critchlow himself - it's a self-published comic.

As for time between issues, he does do a lot of contract work for his day job (a good percentage of his Magic The Gathering cards are nothing less than gorgeous pieces of art). I've a feeling the Thrud comics are merely something he does because he wants to, and to get a change in scenery so to speak.

Check out heresy miniatures new LTD 90mm thrud. Sculpted by Kev White.
It's Kev's? Kewl, might see if I can pick one up at Salute. :D

I'd love to know who it was at GW who told him he'd never be a sculptor... :eek:

Osbad
19-04-2007, 10:19
I'd love to know who it was at GW who told him he'd never be a sculptor... :eek:

Probably the same person that told Ebob he wasn't talented enough for them...

OrlyggJafnakol
19-04-2007, 10:32
Some suit I expect, probably couldn't actually sculpt themselves.

Does anyone remember the other cartoon that used to appear (I think with Thrudd at one point, but I cannot remember exactly) called Gobbledigook?

I loved the one when he met a nurgling!

JT-Y
19-04-2007, 11:13
I remember that !

Ahhh, Thrudd in WD, them were the days....

Halcion days no less.

If only someone like Jervis could arrange for Carl Critchlow to meet with the WD production team to discuss Thrudd reapearing in the mag....

And for some fat bloke to not say something incredibly stupid this time around !

Sai-Lauren
19-04-2007, 11:29
GW would probably want to own the image rights (and likely also creative control - yes, it's Black Templar Thrud :rolleyes: ), so I doubt Carl would be interested. And that's even assuming GW would want to take advertising - sorry, article space away from WD.

Orly..., I remember Thrud, 'Gook and The Travellers - happy days.:)

Then they alternated Gobbledigook with Derek The Troll, and it all started going downhill from there.:rolleyes:

JT-Y
19-04-2007, 11:47
Sorry, being sarcastic.
Now, if I recall correctly...

Carl was interested.
As were GW.
He had a meeting with GW about Thrudd's return, set up by Jerv after Carl revamped an old strip for the BB annual a few years back.

Some nameless person conected to WD said something unintellegent/rude though, so Carl decided to put Thrudd out off his own bat.

That snippet comes from Carl himself, as I was fortunate to have a good conversation with him at SFX the same year, when issue 1 of Thrudd was released, courteousy of a mutual freind.
Carl himself was there with the 2000AD team, and I felt like a kid in a sweet shop :D
He was pretty annoyed about the whole thing...

Carlos
19-04-2007, 14:20
Check Wikipedia under 'Thrud the Barbarian'

Apparently Carl (not me) uses Thrud as a Promotional tool for his Artwork.

I remember the old Cartoons too. In one strip he killed off Croneman by slicing him from head to crotch only for him to reappear stitched up siding with him and Lymara in later issues vs The Black Currant (Thrud's Nemesis)

Strips that stick in my head are:

"Thrud walks into Pitch black Bar. Senses people ready to jump out at him. Swings axe around and kills them all. Turns on light. Written on Banner: Happy Birthday Thrud and all Party guests are dead in a pile in the middle of the room!"

"Thrud battles through deadly labyrinth to get to the evil Wizard To-Me Ku-Pa (Who once used Imperial Stormtroopers and Daleks to battle Thrud) and Thrud utters 'Right Necromancer, prepare to die.
To-Me turns around and turns thrud into a frog"

Sai-Lauren
19-04-2007, 14:44
I remember the old Cartoons too. In one strip he killed off Croneman by slicing him from head to crotch only for him to reappear stitched up siding with him and Lymara in later issues vs The Black Currant (Thrud's Nemesis)
And I quote, "If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a smart****".:p

With Croneman having the pulp-fantasy-requisite adoring woman hanging off his leg :D

Or Thrud having his passport picture done, going shopping for a new axe, deciding to become a privateer (with possibly the most words he's ever spoken in one strip), or - "Thrud gets cultured".

Jellicoe
19-04-2007, 16:23
Thrud the barbarian never worried about plot and that was his beauty

the phrase 'caution: one drop per herd' is still regilar parlance in my gaming group

eg 'damn that chillie sauce is hot'

'yup - its in the one drop per herd range'

brilliant stuff

RobC
19-04-2007, 19:20
Lack of plot over a one-page strip is fine; over a full-length comic it can get a bit tiresome.

Still, they're wonderfully illustrated, and puns are liberally applied.