PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnought and his arms.

Macrus
18-04-2007, 18:05
I was just wondering what people think about changing a dreadnoughts arms around.

For example one day you feel like using lasscannon and missile launcher, and another day you want too use assualt cannon and cc arm. What are your thoughts on this.

When i say change the arms of your dreanought i dont mean between games, so you can use its weapsons to their full potenital on a different oppoent
Please comment, thanks:)

Macrus

Dribble Joy
18-04-2007, 18:11
So long as your list says so, and the points are paid, I don't see a problem really...

salty
18-04-2007, 18:19
Its perfectly ok. A lot of people paint all the arms of their dreadnoughts and even vehicles, and use magnets so that they can utilise different weapons configurations against different opponents.

Salty :)

ZiggyQubert
18-04-2007, 18:20
Indeed thats what magnets were invented for, as long as the correct equipment is payed for then there is no problem.

Lord Balian
18-04-2007, 18:36
Yea, I have all the arms for my dreadnaught and have the arms and the body magnatized. Same for my chaos terminators, their arms are all magnatized to I can swap out from the standard powerweapon and combibolter when I ever I need to for a list.

Do some 'net searches for rare earth magnets, and find the right sizes. It's a bit tricky at first to get them in so the model looks OK, but you get the hang of it.
Using magnets for weapons also means you can remove them during a battle when someone rolls "armament destroyed" on you.

Quin 242
18-04-2007, 18:47
I'm not entirely sure about the meaning of the post?

Is it as simple as it seems or... do we need to read deeper?

It seems as tho you are asking if you HAVE to glue your dreads arms on?
If that is it then obviously no.
Plastic dreads don't even need magnets to hold the arms on...
feel free to swap them as you like between games as long as your list shows it.

Krog Ironclaw
18-04-2007, 18:49
Thankfully the Dreadnought doesnt need magnets. The arms fit rather snugly on their own. At least my freind's does, he just swaps out arms between games. Though sometimes I doubt he adjusts his list to compensate for it. He's one of those guys who never has his codex, or an army list, knows exactly what he can feild in 2000 points, all the stats, and points cost of everything.

Sometimes I wonder if his list is even legal.

Onisuzume
18-04-2007, 19:12
Thankfully the Dreadnought doesnt need magnets. The arms fit rather snugly on their own. At least my freind's does, he just swaps out arms between games. Though sometimes I doubt he adjusts his list to compensate for it. He's one of those guys who never has his codex, or an army list, knows exactly what he can feild in 2000 points, all the stats, and points cost of everything.
Sometimes I wonder if his list is even legal.
Heck, I could do almost the same with vanilla marines; writing up a list without having my codex in the same town. Though with the new 'dex I got some problems adjusting. (gotta love the new DA)
And if you don't trust it; you can always ask for him to write it down.

As for not glueing the arms on; I'm all for it.
Why else would they supply 4 arms with 1 dread? (besides the choice of what you can field)
I'm even going as far as to ordering loose arms from FW. (got 2 autocannon arms ordered so I can make a Mortis)

Btw, do the FW dreadnought arms fit as well as the plastic GW ones?

Stella Cadente
18-04-2007, 20:47
Btw, do the FW dreadnought arms fit as well as the plastic GW ones?

My Mortis Lascannon arms seem to fit fine, as good as the plastic ones

CryoMax
18-04-2007, 21:20
Indeed thats what magnets were invented for, as long as the correct equipment is payed for then there is no problem.

Somehow I don't think magnets were invented by someone thinking, "Hmm, how can I conveniently and temporarily attach my 40k dreadnought's arms?" :D

I haven't played with doing this yet, but I'm coming up on the time where I should finally put my Leman Russ Demolisher together, and this might be a good time to play with the sponsons & magnets...

How big are the magnets people use? 1/4"? 1/8"? Anyone run into a problem where they weren't powerful enough?

...Paul

Macrus
18-04-2007, 21:50
thats ok then, it wasnt that i get stick form doing it, i was reading another post and the thought came too me and i justed wanted to know what everyone thought.

Macrus

Winimperial
18-04-2007, 23:30
I do it all the time. Don't even need magnets. The arms fit nicely on the stubs.

fenrisbrit
18-04-2007, 23:35
God bless magnets (or other methods). Not just dreads this works for. I have Rhinos that can become Predators. Sponsons that change. Eldar weapons platforms that change guns. Wraithlords who change weapons and Wave Serpents with different turret mounts. Makes compiling a list musch more interesting as all the options are available and the cost is kept down as well as the burden of painitng.

Krog Ironclaw
18-04-2007, 23:58
Heck, I could do almost the same with vanilla marines; writing up a list without having my codex in the same town. Though with the new 'dex I got some problems adjusting. (gotta love the new DA)
And if you don't trust it; you can always ask for him to write it down.

He can't be bothered. Trust me I have pleaded with him to do it several times.

Not that it matters really, if he wanted to fudge on the rules a bit I wouldn't care. Been many a times that we have used 7 Troops or 4 HS just to fill out points.