PDA

View Full Version : Why do people love the Eldar?

jfrazell
19-04-2007, 15:49
In the spirit of anti-hate:

Why do people love the eldar? Is it:
*Their incredible fashion sense? My farseer must spend hours in front of the mirror color coordinating his robes with just the right shade of green for his spirit stones.

*Their humility? As the rulers of the galaxy they occasionally let other races fight for them, even giving the appearance of sometimes losing a battle.

*Their combined arms tactics? They spin, they dive, they shoot and combine attacks. Their psykers are not crude mental hammers but subtle weavers of destiny, supporting the greater effort.

*their beautiful minis? Compare an exarch to the most recent chaos possessed (sense of nausea..increasing..must not…heave)

Eldar:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q145/jfrazell/banshee.jpg
Chaos:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q145/jfrazell/possessed.jpg

Thoughts? Why the love?:angel:

Howling_Screamer
19-04-2007, 15:51
I love them, because they have awesome miniatures. I mean, who doesn't love the ranger models???

Dat Wildboy
19-04-2007, 15:56
because they are elfs in space. simple/cynical as that.

i love dark eldar more.

Stingray_tm
19-04-2007, 15:56
I don't love or hate them. I just find Harlequins overpowered, that's all.

Templar Ben
19-04-2007, 15:57
I love them because taking a Fantasy Race and just saying ooooo Space Elves was so clever.

rrchristensen
19-04-2007, 15:57
I love them because they're not cheesy Space Marines, whom I hate! :p

(Sorry. Someone had to say it. I'll go hide now.)

machine_recovered_meat
19-04-2007, 16:00
It's definitely a combination of the 'pointy eared effect' [a carry over for anyone who digs their fantasy based brethren, and be fantasy I mean classic fantasy], combined with what is one of the consistently most attractive model ranges going, and a very very tidy [since WD 127, a glorious edition - the background, the concept sketches, the manna from the heavens]
army list chock full of spiritstoney goodness.

They're great.
;)

Macrus
19-04-2007, 16:04
I think that the models are really kool, i dont love them but they are really cool. Grey knights are better than the eldar models by far.

Mcrus

Hellebore
19-04-2007, 16:10
I'm a little strange, because I'm not a big elf fan (Dwarfs are by far my favourite fantasy race) but really love the eldar.

They aren't elves in space any more, they have a great history, rich background and poignant story.

The sex with optional stick that is their miniatures doesn't hurt either...

Hellebore

Wolflord Havoc
19-04-2007, 16:17
I love them because my heavy bolters make mince meat out of them..what?..ohhhh all right then.

Wraithlord - Brilliant model - possibly one of the finest models ever made by GW.

The new Harlies are not too shabby either - with some nice pose's and some well balanced special rules.

I liked the latest codex as well - Good format - sensibly written unit entries and rules.

I cannot bring myself to say anything else nice about them.....

Champsguy
19-04-2007, 16:44
I love the way their tanks look. I'm half-tempted to start an Eldar army just so I can have some Falcons.

rrchristensen
19-04-2007, 16:49
It's definitely a combination of the 'pointy eared effect' [a carry over for anyone who digs their fantasy based brethren, and be fantasy I mean classic fantasy], combined with what is one of the consistently most attractive model ranges going, and a very very tidy [since WD 127, a glorious edition - the background, the concept sketches, the manna from the heavens]
army list chock full of spiritstoney goodness.

Yes. I am in complete agreement. I remember reading those old, old WDs as a kid, and thinking how cool the Eldar range was. They really WERE cool, and extremely colorful.

For some reason I never got around to do anything about my fascination, but perhaps if I had for a moment thought that I could do them justice, paint-wise, then I would have done so.

Old (1990+) WD Eldar armies = wow!

The Song of Spears
19-04-2007, 16:49
Why do people love the eldar? Is it:
*Their incredible fashion sense? My farseer must spend hours in front of the mirror color coordinating his robes with just the right shade of green for his spirit stones.

Indeed :D

They are so purdy. I bought the army just so i could stare at my Falcons and banshees and avengers and farseers all night :p but mostly the Falcons, they embody the opposite of everything i hate about the Imperial vehicles and dreads.

ZiggyQubert
19-04-2007, 16:52
Iyanden - Undead space elves, *sigh* what could be cooler then that :)

now Seariously, there one of the most tacticly flexible armies in the game, with quite posibly the widest range of viable options/units, the models rock, and the fluf is great. what more needs to be said?

Getifa Ubazza
19-04-2007, 17:03
I prefer the feel of Real Eldar, with there Raiders, Warriors and Incubi, although some of the models do need an update. Model and codex wise, the Craftworlders are the most amazing range GW have ever produced. I cant wait for the new, Codex Real Eldar to come out, although i am painting an army of them just now, as an alternative to painting my Orks. Orks are great, but they are murder to paint.

jfrazell
19-04-2007, 17:05
I love the way their tanks look. I'm half-tempted to start an Eldar army just so I can have some Falcons.

Thats what got me back. Plus I became tired of my tanks always blowing up and never being able to take down skimmers. can't beat 'em join em :evilgrin:

The sad thing is I pulled out my 2nd edition minis, including some old painted eldar (back when they could be allies). Argh I think my paining then is better then now :cries:

Blutrache
19-04-2007, 17:06
Aaarh! I just love me Eldar pirates! They are the coolest! That and the new wraithlord model is cool! Harlies are strange and cool too.

Good idea for a thread!

Quin 242
19-04-2007, 17:07
Eldar Aspect warrior models got me into the game.
Way back when they first came out... I saw a friends figs and was like "hey what's this then?"

and it's been down hill from there :(

Dynamo
19-04-2007, 17:23
I guess what started my love affair with the Eldar back when I was a kid was their mystical and sublime culture. A romantic view admittedly. But aren't they just perfect in that niche.

Otherwise I just love the cool aspects and specialization. The mini's are in my opinion the best range of all by a long shot.

GT Templar
19-04-2007, 19:51
Oh Eldar, my first army. I bought the army pack when I was thirteen or fourteen. I don't know what it was about the Eldar that drew me to them because I'm like Hellbore, I don't like fantasy elves. The Eldar though, are unique. The backstory for them is among the best, and IMHO the most orginal GW has done for the ported races from fantasy.

RampagingRavener
19-04-2007, 19:53
i love dark eldar more.

Ditto that here. Is this a general Eldar-love thread, or restricted only to you Craftworldy types? ;)

Gutlord Grom
19-04-2007, 19:56
Because , people generally enjoy saying Eldar are better than everybody else, and see themselves as the best of the best and generalllyy lets them say Marine players are noobs because "Eldar use tactics".

But that's just my opinion :rolleyes: ......

jfrazell
19-04-2007, 19:58
Ditto that here. Is this a general Eldar-love thread, or restricted only to you Craftworldy types? ;)

Hey we're open minded here, just keep your wyches away from our Dire Avengers, our craftworld can't handle the baby boom:eek:

RampagingRavener
19-04-2007, 20:27
Hey, not all Wyches are female. Dark Eldar are a true equal-oppertunities enviroment!

Lessee. Why do I love Dark Eldar, despite the minimal fluff, old models, nigh-vertical learning curve, and utter lack of support from GW?

Probably because I think the fluff we do have is some of the best. The way the Dark Eldar stick to their previous, pre-fall lifestyle instead of locking themselves away in the restrictive 'paths', and how they have to harvest the souls of others to save themselves from Slaanesh as a result rather appeals to me. They literally live on a knife-edge, where tipping either way will see you murdered by your 'comrades' or cut down in battle, and either way sends their soul to be consumed by Slaanesh. They're even quite tragic in that regard, how they've stubbornly stuck to their guns and even managed to thrive despite it, and done so without falling to Chaos Worship.

Or the models, which while they really don't look all that good up close, from a distance away I think look fantastic on the tabletop. All these fleets of Raiders and Ravagers, with mobs of black-clad Shadows tearing their way through enemy squads. With a few conversions here and there and a nice paint-job, they don't look too bad.

The playstyle, when you get the hang of it, is great fun as well. Nothing says "I love you" like moving your transports over to one flank to force him to redeploy, throwing yourself 24" to the other side of the board, then next turn moving another 12", disembarking, and assaulting him when he can't fight back well. Or just plain getting a massed turn-1 assault with a Wyche Cult. Or using a Webway portal to pop a Talos right into the middle of his lines. Or turning every enemy tank on the board into a smouldering wreck after your first shooting phase.

So, yea. Dark Eldar are awsome.

And you Craftworlders are pretty cool as well. If a little uptight. :D

Bretagne
19-04-2007, 20:33
besides the fact that they are my favorite army, i think that they are a staple, like IG and space Orks.

e033x
19-04-2007, 20:35
eldar ROCK:D
i love the tactics (which is a bit more complicated than the "lesser" races), i love the models, i love the fluff.... generally: i love *insert whatever word that has something with eldar to do*

Galley
19-04-2007, 20:37
They have some of the best fluff in the game.

jfrazell
19-04-2007, 20:54
Nothing says "I love you" like moving your transports over to one flank to force him to redeploy, throwing yourself 24" to the other side of the board, then next turn moving another 12", disembarking, and assaulting him when he can't fight back well.

I am not worthy!

CryoMax
20-04-2007, 00:42
I like the brains-over-brawn element to the Eldar design. Originally, they were mysterious, only encountered during "pirate raids" (back in the Rogue Trader days, when you could actually field a 'rogue trader army' that included Marines, Guard, Squats and Eldar in one force!). The idea of a culture advanced beyond Man (or at least, advanced beyond how much Man had declined :) ) kinda keeping their distance, showing up at mysterious times...

The Tau have kinda taken over the brains-over-brawn element these days; between Scorpions, Banshees, and Harlequins, the Eldar have gotten a lot more hand-to-handy.

But the miniatures remain cool (and have actually improved, in most cases, significantly). When the aspect warrior miniatures came out, they were *awesome* compared to the miniatures Citadel'd been producing at that point. With the release of the Harlequins, I think Citadel is
still pushing the envelope in quality sculpts with Eldar.

Y'know one overlooked element may be the color, too. Eldar have always been colorful; aspects with different colors, craftworlds with different, bright colors. With the exception of maybe Tyranids, no other armies have really been so "bright"; IG have always been camo'd, marines have been close, but definitely have been getting darker and darker over time. Orks used to be comically bright in 2nd edition, but with 3rd edition they became dull and grimy colors. Tau tend to be muted colors, earthtones and the like... Chaos has always been dark. Only Eldar have been "bright yellow and blue" or "white and green" or "bright red and white" and yet still been cool. :)

So, in short, good fluff (even in all its different incarnations), great models, good colors.

...Paul

Brother_Falco
20-04-2007, 02:59
Bladestorm. And wraithlords. 'nuff said.

Zealot
20-04-2007, 04:59
I love them because they are a doomed race that refuses to submit to their foreseen demise, and because they are so damned arrogant! You just gotta love haughty space elves...

Dragonlv8
20-04-2007, 05:05
I love everything about them there isnt 1 thing I don't like other than guardians have crappy armor and short range but other than that they are the ownage (except open battle fields)

One_Second_of_Insanity
20-04-2007, 05:07
definately love them for their sculpts - they are undoubtabley one of the best ranges that have been produced and i cant say that i dislike any of the figs. also love the whole idea of aspects of war

Ianos
20-04-2007, 08:13
I love them because i can absolutely identify with them, people say that to me all the time "you play Eldar eh? it figures...". They are fast, arrogant, they hate to get caught unless they want to. They got high tech and use it right to blend with it like eldar and technology are one organic being. They have the best firepower and my favorite style of play, dropping right into the enemy's jaws and not giving him a chance to strike back!
Someone asked me once, "why did you select eldar?" and i said "cause i want things to get done, period." no other race is so specialized, i see a predator and thats for my dragons to kill, end of story, my banshees will go to the heavy infantry that and kill it etc.
And finally but most importantly, whats not to love about ancient Greek warriors in space?, i mean its like these guys made the race just for my tastes!

Devil-Tears
20-04-2007, 08:36
You mean aside from the fact that our guardians get mowed down by bolters like there's no tomrrow?? xD
HOWEVER, Eldar have awesome models, and well, moving half way across the board before your opponent can even blink is just too good to pass. The insane firepower is just a added bonus.
And the thing about the brightly colored models? They add the fact that your opponent just gets blinded by the sheer intensity of your army!GO 6x 20 MAN GUARDIANS!!

Shrike30
20-04-2007, 08:53
My brother's played IG for a while now, and just got into Eldar. He likes that his units are *good* at what they do.

Griffin
20-04-2007, 09:56
Squads of silent wraithguard wreathed in mist conjured by the accompanying spirit seers stalking across the battlefield the only sound, reality getting ripped apart by their Wraith Cannons, all the while in the shadows cast by towering wraithlords striding along silently.

Now THAT is whats cool about the eldar for me.

CaptainRichard
20-04-2007, 10:36
even as a loyal subject of the emperor i have to admit i like the eldar. such a graceful and powerful race. once their might and arrogance wer justified but now they tend to live in the past too much. people love the whole elven mystical warriors effect which i have to admit is alluring

SpinO
20-04-2007, 10:43
I love them because they are so very different from my other armies. Whereas my Chaos marines and tyranids have problems redeploying, my wave serpents can cross the entire table in only two turns.

Smokedog
20-04-2007, 10:46
Ok,

I started 40k second ed in 1994 I think.. well my friend said hey you have space crusade, you know that you can play bigger battles with tanks and stuff??

So I took a look:

Marines:everyone has marines, how boring
Orks: I dont really have the money or time to paint 100 minatures
Imperial Guard - Ditto
Tyrandids - my friend already has a nid army..
Chaos... what more space marines?? no thanks..
Eldar - what this?? ...like marines, except have better pychic powers but weaker t and s and also faster...

Also I have to say the avatar swung it for me...

Never looked back.

cox61171
20-04-2007, 11:58
I love the Eldar cause I have just started playing with them, they are totally different to my other armies (Chaos and Tyranids), and how can you not love the Banshees, Scorpions and now the new Harlequins?. The grace and style of the models, well it all just fits doesn't it, that and the fact you can DOOM things, what's not to love?.:D

Wraithbored
20-04-2007, 12:33
They are my first army and my most played i have 2 other armies but they rarely see battle.

I love their versatility, the elegant deadly grace I mean what good is the biggest gun or sword and the biggest muscle if you can't hit me?

I always loved the models. The diversity, you could paint an army and never have to paint a squad the same way.

The vehicles I mean come on they rock! Can't you just see falcons and wave serpents flanked by vypers speeding along a canyon and taking their opponents completely by surprise.

the Wraith constructs, silent deadly warriors against whom the enemy tide breaks like a pathetic tiny wave against a cliff face.

The awesome presence that is the avatar.

The precise and subtle psychics.

These and many other reasons is why I love this army.

Ravenheart
20-04-2007, 12:39
What I like about eldar:

- They generaly appearance and style

- Specialized aspects instead of allrounders

- The miniatures range

- All the varied choices they can take, from deamon over guardian to wrathguard

Bunnahabhain
20-04-2007, 13:22
The models. The skimmers are beautiful. Elegant tanks just feel right, rather than the slab sided brutality of my armoured company.

The aspect warriors are lovely as well, despite being probably the oldest major set of figures in 40K. They've not changed in at least 15 years, but you stand the brand new, rather nice, Harlequins next to them, and they don't look dated. Same goes for the jet bikes.

The back story is rather good as well, and the fact they are good at what they do. They hit what they shoot at, which is almost enough to tempt me away from the Guard.

Is that the sound of the Inquisition I hear?

Captain Micha
20-04-2007, 15:14
I like the edar tanks almost as much as I love the Tau's.... nothing says luvin like str10 in your face!

however eldar vehicles... mmmmmmmm

now if the falcon's mini were just abit larger...

everyone in my opinion has better vehicles look wise than the leman russ. child's toy of a wannabe tank in my eyes!

I like the aspect warriors alot for the eldar.. now if the dark dar would get their update already.....

Giltharin
20-04-2007, 16:17
I love them because they've got pointy ears,
I love them because they're supposed to be doomed, but still they fight on;
I love them because thy're supposed to be doomed, but still retain their arrogance;
I love that they're not good, that without the path they'd be consumed by their own desires;
I love the Exarchs being lost souls to their own people;
I love the mins, I love playing an Eldar army .....
.... long story short, love is all around, I even have some for the Dark kin (not the mins, that'd be asking too much)

Cheers
Giltharin

Arhalien
20-04-2007, 16:20
Why do i love Eldar? I suppose it's the superb models, and the fact that they are the only army apart from Guard that have really caught my imagination in any way.

Voodoo Boyz
20-04-2007, 16:25
Why do people love Eldar?

Because they're a cheesy, super-powerful & abusive army in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ed that wasn't a Space Marine variant of some sort.

People like super abusive and powerful armies, but people also hate Space Marines. Hence the love for Eldar.

Arhalien
20-04-2007, 16:28
Why do people love Eldar?

Because they're a cheesy, super-powerful & abusive army in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ed that wasn't a Space Marine variant of some sort.

People like super abusive and powerful armies, but people also hate Space Marines. Hence the love for Eldar.

Oh no here come the negative waves...
Look, we were having a beautiful thread discussing how lovely and then you have to come along with all your negative feelings spoiling everyone's day! Will you just try and lighten up! It's a beautiful world, enjoy it!

:eyebrows:

jfrazell
20-04-2007, 16:37
Its ok Arhalien, its a valid viewpoint. I know of several players (mostly past) who played eldar because of their on the board gaming ferocity, especially vs. marines. They are an excellent list if you like to hammer the MEQ crowd, even in their currently nerfed state.

Dervos
20-04-2007, 16:39
Waaaay back in 2000 when the Tyranids and Necrons were just coming out I think, the eldar and the space marines were the only two armies that really tugged at my interest, but I opted out for the eldar because I just liked that mysteriousness about them. I like the space marines but soooo many people play the SM so I was like woot the Eldar!

Especially after seeing wraithlords omg.. they look so awesome.

Voodoo Boyz
20-04-2007, 16:51
Its ok Arhalien, its a valid viewpoint. I know of several players (mostly past) who played eldar because of their on the board gaming ferocity, especially vs. marines. They are an excellent list if you like to hammer the MEQ crowd, even in their currently nerfed state.

I'd like to think it's Valid. The Eldar were the TOP army in 40k for like forever, and even now in their "nerfed state" (HAH!) they're very near the top or even at it.

Look, I'll give you the fact that they have decent background, and really, really nice models.

What gets me is not so much the rules (because honestly, most everything is broken except a few poor armies), but the fact that they have the near best broken stuff in the game AND people complain about how bad they have it or how good SPACE MARINES are in comparison. Oh and they're not just "good vs Space Marines" they're good vs. just about EVERYTHING, and yet people still complain about them.

THAT is why I loathe Eldar.

But OK, it's a happy love thread. Fine, you've got some really nice models, and great fluff, and even some kick ass rules. You're also quite reliable, which is kind of sad for me, because if I didn't hate Eldar so much, they'd be my perfect army.

jfrazell
20-04-2007, 17:07
Join the love Voodoo. Thats what I did. After playing an LATD list for two years (jeez I feel old) and watching unstoppable Tau/eldar skimmers I decided to join the wine and cheese crowd (plus it went with my EPIC and BFG fleets).

The sex with optional stick that is their miniatures doesn't hurt either...

Hellebore

Works for me !!!:cool:

Arhalien
21-04-2007, 10:56

Sorry, I just couldn't resist an oppurtunity to get into the character of Oddball ;) .

Coasty
21-04-2007, 11:21
Hurrah for Oddball! :D

I'll bet you have a Russ with an MP3 player inside that plays All For The Love of Sunshine during games, go on, tell me you do.... :D

smileyface
21-04-2007, 11:54
IG advancing with a chimera:
-woosh-
-freem-
*chimera explodes*

"Holy @@@@, they hit the APC!"
"Yeah, but did you see that guy's hair? It was amazing!"

Bunnahabhain
21-04-2007, 13:47
Smileyface, you owe me a keyboard without coffee all over it.

That is so true on so many levels....

Bathfinder
21-04-2007, 14:02
The short answer: the coats. Yeah. That was way cool. And it is of course the rangers I talk about. Anyone else that has played alaitoc mainly because the models are cool? And we also got the old gunnery-crew, elf-punkrockers in coats.

Sildani
21-04-2007, 14:45
Smileyface: mind enlightening a cousin from across the Pond as to just what the inside joke is in your post?

Why do I love Eldar? The Falcon. It captured my nerd-heart ten years ago. Everything else was just gravy after that. Plastic Wave Serpent aside (though I own two).

Son of Makuta
21-04-2007, 21:12
I love Eldar because they are the only race in 40K that could justifiably be described as 'sexy'. :D
Oh, and ever tried converting Wraithlords? I don't think there's a model ever made that has such potential... and that's the old metal ones... :D

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 03:11
Because number one, eldar are the Warhammer 40k equivalant of elfs and alot of people are in love with elfs, and they also have some SEKSY minis.

DeadEye
22-04-2007, 03:41
Because they've got such fine, delicate bone structure. So when you hack their legs off, you can just snap the bone over your knee and then suck that scrumptious marrow from them while the little buggers scream their dainty little heads off.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE THRONE OF KHORNE!

Laughingmonk
22-04-2007, 11:48
I love the Eldar becuase:

1.) Their model range is beyond reason.

2.) They're Str. and T 3 across the list (the living ones, anyway)

3.) Their background is the best. The whole Idea of aspect warriors is what got me into them in the first place, along with Harlies.

4.) Their rules are pretty cool too.

smileyface
22-04-2007, 12:20
Smileyface: mind enlightening a cousin from across the Pond as to just what the inside joke is in your post?

*surprised*
There is no inside joke - Eldar/Elves just have the best hair, in any setting they are in.
The joke is in the surreal/absurd juxtaposition of reality and priorities - the IG trooper in the warzone whose APC has just been blown up clearly has better things to worry about than hair styles, particularly the hair styles of the enemy.

"freem" is of course the noise made by lascannons:
http://tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2004-02-12
..and as such, it would never be made by any passing Eldar. Still, what's a little inaccuracy when you're dealing with a fictional universe (and it isn't a rules question)?

So presumably surreal humour is not common in the states?

Arhalien
22-04-2007, 12:28
*surprised*
"freem" is of course the noise made by lascannons:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that las weapons made cracking noises when firing, or is that just lasguns and pistols?

Glabro
23-04-2007, 01:38
The Eldar offer a truly stunning-looking, characterful force with its many strong colours and sleek looks (There´s a thing to be said about uniform forces, but...) combined with a truly nice army list offering tons of army composition options. You´ll find it hard to create a dull Eldar army, there are just so many good units that work well in combination.

I think eventually it´ll be just Eldar and Orks for me, the obvious opposites (might have to get out of Chaos, depending on how the next Codex will look).
Although, I know deep inside me there´s a wolf howling for the return of the Sons of Russ - my first ever force in 2ed.

smileyface
23-04-2007, 23:58
I could have sworn I read somewhere that las weapons made cracking noises when firing, or is that just lasguns and pistols?

Well logically - yes probably. A crackling and hissing would probably be consistant with high-energy coherent light in a slightly damp atmosphere. Hissing from the evaporation, crackling from the very fast evaporation.

nanktank
24-04-2007, 01:33
People love Eldar because not just because they are elves in space but the background has been done in such a way that its not a ridiculous proposition. I think if they had been a little more careful with the squats then they would be enjoying the same success.

Lord Humungus
24-04-2007, 03:14
I would have to agree with a lot of the things that people have mentioned already. They're space Elves without just being lame imitations transposed to a different setting.

It's the Wraithlords, the aspect warriors, the awesome psychic powers, the speed, the prowess. The models are great (lets ignore the majority of the 3rd edition sculpts), and the list is flexible.

It's the aesthetics, really. The Eldar appeal the the art crowd of the hobby.

AngryAngel
24-04-2007, 04:05
People love the Eldar becasue everyone loves someone who thinks their own s**t don't stink.

People love eldar because they are about as close to a fairy as you can come in this particular war game.

I'm sure I could think up more..but I'll save them for later.

vuren
24-04-2007, 06:07
People love the Eldar becasue everyone loves someone who thinks their own s**t don't stink.

People love eldar because they are about as close to a fairy as you can come in this particular war game.

I'm sure I could think up more..but I'll save them for later.

because they have the attitude of, we will take as many of you pieces of garbage with us as we can, and you don't matter to us.

malicant
24-04-2007, 12:36
Well I have always admired the eldar and have long wanted to put together an army of them. I am now finally doing just that :D. I think that the appeal of them is that they are the type of army that a tatician would love. All thouse super specialised units and physic powers make for alot of possibilities. My own attraction to them are their amazing models. I have just about finished my first squad of dire avengers and I must say that they were a pleasure to paint. Looking forward to more :).

Quin 242
24-04-2007, 15:02

It has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that "freem" is indeed the sound of a lascannon.

Please google Turn sugnals on a land raider.
Or go here as indicated previously : http://tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2004-02-12

Glabro
24-04-2007, 19:18
Lucky me, I don´t count as one of the "people", since "elves" is a totally irrelevant term to me when it comes to Eldar (of the 40k, so no LOTR-quips here.)

Luthien
24-04-2007, 19:24
'cos we're awesome goddamnit :D :D

Lamhirh
24-04-2007, 19:37
I love Eldar because they are the only race in 40K that could justifiably be described as 'sexy'.

Damn straight :p ! Though their background is what kept me interested...

Rikka Rakka
25-04-2007, 19:02
After 15 years in the game ive started to look at Eldar a little closer. The mini's are nice but the Guardians are a swine to build.

I wanted to do em a few years back but too many of the models (*cough* Fatseer) were horrible. Right now though, I struggle to find a flaw with anything in the range. Im fast turning to Biel Tan.

Oh, by the way, can I be the first to mention the BEAUTIFUL FW Eldar Titans? surely thats more than reason enough!

Ghal Maraz
25-04-2007, 20:26
I love them because they are by far the best defined alien race in Wh40K. And it's such a beautiful background it leaves you astounded.
Rick easily left behind the "elves in space" concept.
You have mistery, grace, fall, redemption, sense of doom, grandeur, epic, myth, horror, mysticism all mixed up in a masterwork manner. It's really a labour of love, that helped setting the 40K feel for years to come.
And then you have the most elegant army of all, made of finesse, power, speed and ability.
Then, there are the miniatures themselves, which once more set a standard not surpassed for years and now, updated, are regaining their right role.
And the whole look of them, throughout the various works. Simple class.

Mantan
25-04-2007, 23:34
The reason that Eldar are loved is:
A. They're cheesey IMO
B. Nice minis
C. Space elves with a nice story.

KITS AND BITS
25-04-2007, 23:57
I love them simply because they raise the bar higher everytime they produce something for the range , the aspect warriors were ground breaking ,the vyper was a marvel , the falcon set the tone for all future plastics in all ranges and the new wraithlord and walkers are mind blowing ,top that with the jes goodwin harlequins which are inspired and considering the last lot lasted almost 20 years the new model seriously had to perform and lets face it they rock .
add to this the fluff from the stories and codex's and the fabulous art work and stunning paint jobs from the heavy metal team and you have dare i say it
the perfect xeno army

Duhgame
26-04-2007, 00:54
"To each his own" is what I think causes this. Either that or the "new and shiny" syndrome (yes, I have had it, :)) I think the prior rather than the latter one is more likely otherwise no one would bother collecting them (especially with rare updates, orks anyone?) after the intial release (although GW has finally learned to stagger their release schedule). Just my 2 cents.

Captain Micha
26-04-2007, 00:56
I like the specialisation that they have... so ridiculous *L*

storm guardians are not useless... just overly specialised *L*

Rider-Of-Kurnous
16-06-2007, 12:12
I love the Eldar because:
1) Awesome models
2) Loads of differnet models to choose from
3) They are like elves and i love elves (more than eldar)
4) (corsairs only) They have pirate like people and i like that

Endemion
16-06-2007, 14:19
My first ever army, from way back when they were made of lead. A combination of beautiful, very diverse models, and great detailed fluff

RevenantX
16-06-2007, 17:23
Yeah, I got hooked early; Eldar and Space Marines. Now it's next to impossible to break away. (Fallen Dark Angels and Iyanden fo'life)

Sons of Russ
16-06-2007, 17:38
Number one reason I LIKE them?

Their tanks are the only effective heavy vehicles in the game. It is easier to kill two landraiders than one tooled up falcon.

Eldar has an specialist elite unit for ever facet of play. The aspect warriors fill every niche. Their speed and mobility allow you outmaneuvre almost everyone, their firepower is great, and their specialists can annihilate parts of a line unit when combined....

the downside is not really a downside at all to veteran gamers like myself. You can make many dumb mistakes with your units. This makes winning with them even better.

Jampire
16-06-2007, 18:09
For me it's the fact that they were once the master of the universe and due to thier own decadence have fallen to the status of a dying race. They want to claim once more what is rightfully theirs and they struggle to do so (at least in story-terms). I've always loved stories of someone/something/a civilisation falling from grace and then struggling to overcome their past failings.
In game terms I love that each squad or aspect is highly specialized and you need to work with every unit cohesivley to perform well. Oh yea, the models are the best I've seen in any game IMO so that helps as well. I favor fast, mobile armies and the Eldar fit the bill perfectly.

Brother Alecium
16-06-2007, 18:16
I hate all that is Eldar and wish they would hurry up and go extinct! :evilgrin:

carlisimo
16-06-2007, 20:00
I fell in love with the Falcon when it first came out. No money so I bought a jetbike and man... I love those too. Besides how awesome they look, I like speed. And the Vyper, what a model. I like colors too. Mine are yellow.

I thought the coneheads were silly though (I have some of the original plastic guardians with really really tall helmets) but they've improved.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
16-06-2007, 20:03
Just when it seemed the infuriating "who loves/hates [army]" threads seemed to have died out, someone threadromancies a 2 month old thread back into unlife.

KITS AND BITS
16-06-2007, 21:51
Just when it seemed the infuriating "who loves/hates [army]" threads seemed to have died out, someone threadromancies a 2 month old thread back into unlife.
thats the power of the eldar , you can keep killing them but they keep comming back .

seriously though love the eldar , im painting 2 of the new wraithlords , a falcon and a fire prism and a vyper all at the same time ,so they match perfectly , spent almost 14 hours so far today ! nothing like when the missus goes shopping with her girlfriends to get some serious eldar painting done !

just about to draw the first of the vines on to the hulls !think i should have an earl grey before i start !

badnewsblair
16-06-2007, 22:03
I played them years ago and I will play them this time when I come back to the hobby. There is something about them.

The models are indeed amazing.

The Space Elf phenom. is cool too.

But I think for me it is their back story and fighting style. They are considered the masters of the universe (minus He-Man) but they are slowly dying off. If only they hadn't given into temptation and "fallen", they'd be the only race in the universe. But they did. And it cost them dearly. Which is the cool double bladed sword in their story.

kikkoman
16-06-2007, 22:54
Eldar were born in the 80's, and got a great background going for them.

Got a lot of personality. They're basically made for fighting, love battle, though the current situation forces most to suppress their true nature.

And the ones that don't, they fly off roaming the galaxy for fun and fighting.

It's basically a galactic army of Lu Bu's, Captain Jacks, with Jareths for psychic support.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/557986394_258d9272bb.jpg
Eldar Corsairs, Eldar Seer, Eldar Exarch
the 2nd ed codex also had an awesome three part story that showed the Eldar views on warfare. It basically concludes that they love it as much as an ork loves battle, but have to make excuses for it. They're total mental discipline and limitless excess all in one. Even when walking paths, they can take it too far and get trapped. Not walk the path and become lost. It's an energetic insanity that makes them inhuman.

It's that variety that makes 40k great. Every faction has a pretty different psychological profile, some similar.
And the inhuman ones really are INHUMAN! Those inquisitors are right. Eldar may sorta look human, but they're just as alien as savage orks or buggy tyranids. The Imperium really is against gigantically vast odds against a galaxy of fearsome aliens that were born to fight. All a poor guardsmen has is his trusty lasgun and faith in the Emperor.

Laughingmonk
16-06-2007, 22:59
Top 10 reasons I love eldar:

10.) Holofields. Seriously, best vehicle upgrade in the game.

9.) Eldar shooting. Tau and guard may have the quantity, but they most certaintly don't have the "Holy crap" factor that eldar pull off. The (broken) vibro cannon, deathspinner, shuriken cannon, EML, scatter laser, Avenger catapult, prism cannon, scatter laser, sunrifle, scatter laser, lasblaster, fusion gun, tempest launcher, and the scatter laser, all excel at spreading hate and discontent to those who fight against them.

8.) Vypers. Far more annoying than what you see on paper.

7.) Tau are known as the "Jump shoot Jump" army, yet eldar can take these in their troops slots with the ridiculous shuriken cannon, and are faster....

6.) The nerfing of the Starcannon. I still talk to players who think eldar suck because of this. Fine with me.

5.) The fact that eldar can anything you do, and better too. (I call this the cartman factor. Yknow, from the Episode of south park where they get the ninja weapons, and they were deciding what powers they have, and Cartman was like "I can see into the future too, but better than kyle"..... ahem)

4.) Harlequins. They're back, and they're nasty. It was so.... eldarish.... for them to come back with such a flamboyant entrance as joy and utter hatred.

3.) Autarchs. Eldar finally got their standard (non-monstrous creature or special character) combat leader, and he fills the role exceptionally. Probably one of the most intelligent unit additions ever made to a re-write. He fits with the army, and fils a slot many of us didn't know the eldar army even had.

2.) Dire avengers. Going from near extinction to being a staple part of most eldar lists was the biggest 180 I have ever seen in terms of model usage. Not to mention the sweet kit that came out recently.

1.) Models. With warlocks, Falcons, Jetbikes, all of the pheonix lords, warp spiders, vypers all from second edition, they look good enough to compete with the modern kits! And the modern kits, well, they pretty much push the envolope in terms of quality of sculpts. Also, their old sculpts are widely used (even the RT era pirates are still very popular)

Jayden63
16-06-2007, 23:49
I love Eldar because they are an easy date. Get them a few things off of the dollar menu at McEmporers and your half way to home plate.

Seriously, their vehicles rock. The falcon and jet bikes just look really damn cool.

Vandur Last
17-06-2007, 01:03
I'm a little strange, because I'm not a big elf fan (Dwarfs are by far my favourite fantasy race) but really love the eldar.

They aren't elves in space any more, they have a great history, rich background and poignant story.
Hellebore

I agree 100% with this. Truth be told i generally cant stand Elves in any fantasy setting.

Eldar are different though. I like the image a vastly superior race that has either past its prime or suffered a great catastrophe and now struggles to maintain its dominance/independance over lesser races that used to be beneath thier notice.

Has anyone read the David Gemmel book "Echoes of the Great Song" ? i really reccomend it for those who love what i described above.

KITS AND BITS
17-06-2007, 01:32
i forgot to mention that the back story about the creation of slannesh,and the old codex had a great description of a battle between an avatar and a keeper of seacrets ,that made my hairs on my neck stand on end ! not many written stories do that to me !

Kargush
17-06-2007, 02:03
Fluff! Fluff I tell you!

And I love Aspects. That's why my army is heavily Biel-Tan based.

Lindworm
17-06-2007, 13:10
Some say the Eldar are decadent. If that is true, then the Imperial Army could do with some of that decadence.
-Executed Traitor

Says enough, really.

chris.seraphim
17-06-2007, 13:38
Why not?
The fluff is deep and intense. They have valid justifications for all their actions, and have a psychology that is completely different to all the other races.
The models are GORGEOUS.
The army is effective, but ONLY if you use it right. There seems to be a lot of Eldar-hatred as a 'easy army to win with' or 'Space Marines for people who don't want to play Space Marines.' Which IMO is rubbish, 'cause if you play yout Eldar wrong, you will die, horribly and lose a LOT of VP in the process. One Ork for One Aspect warrior is NOT an acceptable trade off for the Eldar for example. Also the Eldar lack the stickiness of Marines, but beat them in mobility, while having comparable shootiness. - So they are a distinctive list, that takes skill to play.

So interesting background, pretty models, and engaging gameplay - is there anything else in the hobby?
What not to like?

EVIL INC
17-06-2007, 13:48
I love the eldar for several reasons.
1. Really cool models.
2. I like thier fluff.
3. (Most important) is that they help to bridge or connect fantasy and 40k even if only in an imagery fashion (much like with the chaos, squats and orks).

Blandman
17-06-2007, 14:18
Wait, wait, wait...there are people who actually like Eldar?

Oh, I see. Ahaha. It's a joke right? Right? Oh, you guys got me good! Ahahaha. People liking Eldar. Classic.

What? You aren't joking? Oh...

...So...are they like...wrong in the head or something?

(I'm kidding. But that doesn't mean I won't shake my fist at you for being xenos lovers! *shakes fist*)

Swiftsword Bonaparte
17-06-2007, 14:50
I must say that my favorite parts of the eldar are the Farseers and Aspect warriors. It's always great to attack the enemy with a squad of howling banshees led by a farseer who dooms the enemy and fortunes my own squad!

notsoevil
17-06-2007, 15:05
Lots of the same reasons as others for me.

Great models, great fluff, great rules.

alextheterror
17-06-2007, 17:23
i love eldar they are the best... for one reason cuase my autocannons and bolters tear them appart from the first sight like paper. but a reason people who collect them is, is becuase their tanks are sleek and cool looking, their units are many and cool looking. and cuase they have a damn load of elites.

mwahahhaha
kill, maim, burn!
kill, maim, burn!!
kill, maim, burn!!!

i don't care what you say those possessed are kick a** and they look all mutated to!