PDA

View Full Version : Metal or Plastic????

Macrus
19-04-2007, 16:08
Hey i dont know if anyone has done this already but what the hey.

What do you think is overall metal models or plastic ones.

My personal opinion is that plastic is better, ok they dont have as much detail but the paint job last long and you dont have to vanish them. Ypu could to make then look better but there is not need like metal ones. Where is is best to vanish them.
Whats evern better is that i collect daemonhunters.

Macrus

ChrisAsmadi
19-04-2007, 16:16
I prefer plastic, because it's easier to convert.

QuixotesGhost
19-04-2007, 16:16
Metal has the weight that lets me delude myself that I actually got my money's worth.

somebody
19-04-2007, 16:17
Plastic. Easier and more fun to convet and GW plastic kits come with a lot more options. Also less frustrating (how many people do you see complaining about how hard it is to glue plastic compared to metal)
And some metal figs actually have less detail than plastic ones. Too bad the moulds for plastic are so expensive.

Macrus
19-04-2007, 16:20
Plus with metal i find it harder to put some bits together.

Macrus

Arhalien
19-04-2007, 16:35
Ermm, this has been done before in other GW, just to let you know. :p

My opinions are changing a bit. I used to be all for plastic, because of it's ease of use, but now I'm not so sure. The detail and quality of the new Eldar scorpions and High Elf heroes and mages is superb, far better than I've seen on plastics, and my opinion is beginning to change.
I've voted for both, just because i feel both have their pros and cons.

Hulkster
19-04-2007, 16:38
Plastic for the win.

Metal models have a habit of *********** me off.

ZiggyQubert
19-04-2007, 16:58
Both, plastic and metal both have there strengths and weaknesses, metal has more detail and in some case is much easier to use for conversions (any time you have to bend things, or pin small fiddley bits), whereas plastics take paint better, and glue together better. I've found that half the time I would perfer to be using metal when converting things, as hollow plastic bits are a pain to convert.

Crube
19-04-2007, 17:01
Both for me... Plastics have the versatility and ease of assembly, but the metal ones (particularly old lead ones) have a certain feel.

Also, there are some tremendous metal models that jst would not be possible (yet) in plastic

Zedric
19-04-2007, 17:02
I like metal for weight, feel, and play -- plastic for converting. Simple.

BloodiedSword
19-04-2007, 17:45
I always prefer plastic for troops, metal for characters. I've never liked the idea of a HQ model in plastic - it just doesn't feel right.

ancient_conflict
19-04-2007, 17:55
both have their pros and cons

metals
Pros - nicer to work with doesnt snap as easy and models usually in 1 or 2 parts and can be striped easily, characters are generally lead (or have lead bits in them)

con - however they are more expensive bend and can be difficult to straighten out and on large multipart models an absolutle nightmare to stick together paint chips more easily

Plastic
Pros - Multipart, plus easier (by far) to glue, easier to convert or get more unique-ness in the models

Cons - tend to snap at structual week points rather than at the joints, little components can be difficult to work with in taking off mold lines and generally come en-mass (i.e. in squads) rather than each man on his own sprues so convertions can be more pricey if doing them on a small scale

Onisuzume
19-04-2007, 18:32
Plastic gets my vote; it's just much easier to worth with.
And with modern technologies the detail on them has increased as well. (carnifex anyone?)

And ancient_conflict, punctuation is your friend. (read the con @ metals again, please it, makes very little sense without punctuation)

paddyalexander
19-04-2007, 18:35
I'd be 50-50 on both, plastic is easier to convert but most of my best work has been using metal models or components. I've found the extra effort envolve very rewarding.

Ziljin
19-04-2007, 19:04
isn't lead dangerous? How is that a pro for metal models?

swordwind
19-04-2007, 19:10
Well seeing as miniatures haven't been made out of lead for at least 20 years...

Cirenivel
19-04-2007, 19:20
I belive that plastic is the way to go. The reason? because it's just much better to work with, it's cheaper and the "metal models has better details" isn't that good of an argument, since GW has started to develop new and better casting techniques, and they're still working on making it even better.

Cirenivel

kaimarion
19-04-2007, 19:28
Plastic all the way.
But a major con is that you need oil to make plastic.

Aundae
19-04-2007, 19:32
This is just a copy and paste of the post I made in

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68192

I go with metal all the way.

1. Just the feel of it. I pick up a metal Sister of battle and it has some weight behind it. When I pick up a Space Marine I just frown.

2. Details. The detail you get with plastic just doesn’t compare with the metal models that I have seen coming out of companies like GW, Privateer Press, Rackham, and Urban Mammoth.

3. The price argument between plastic and metal doesn’t work on me because there are cheap metal manufacturers out there (Black Tree comes to mind) and it is metal that is cheaper than GW plastic.

4. You can convert metal models. It can be a pain, but if you are spending all the time, money, and effort to convert and paint the miniature in the first place, do it with a good quality miniature.

5. Durability. I’ll use my SOB Exorcist that fell off the table a few weeks ago as an example. The pipes are fine, the rest of it is in little pieces. (For those who can’t guess the Organ pipes are made of metal that are set on a plastic Rhino hull.)

6. Second hand buying. I have never heard a horror story about how one’s metal model melted as they tried to strip the old paint off of it. If you are buying models second hand be careful with how you handle those plastic models.

7. I mentioned it before, but I just like the heft you get with metal models. It reminds me of a Trash bag commercial from years ago, “HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY, whimpy whimpy whimpy.”

Angry fish
19-04-2007, 19:35
I hate metal models!
none of the surfaces in multi-part models fit together - i have a plasma cannon guy with a hole in his arm because the surfaces are so uneven. my daemon prince has no leg, and if i breath softly his head falls off. the parts of my vindicator are balanced on, and my tech marine is lying in ruins at the bottom of my carry case.:mad:

if i ever meet the person who makes the metal models...

Quin 242
19-04-2007, 19:36
To get over the lack of heft on plastics it's an easy trick to glue either a nickel or a penny under the bases :)

Angry Fish: Ever heard of pins or GS to hold model together and fill gaps?

Angry fish
19-04-2007, 19:40
While we're on the subject, what's the difference between resin and plastic in terms of ease of assembly, durability, and ease to paint?

Angry fish
19-04-2007, 19:41
Quin 242: yes but i've never found any in stores

Quin 242
19-04-2007, 19:44
Resin is a little less friendly. It doesn't bend well and has a tendency to warp while shipping.
It glues just fine.

Painting is another story.
Unless you use a car primer spray expect some chipping/peeling.

Finding GS is as easy as a google search for Kneadatite.
Milliput is also a good filling putty.
As for pinning just use paperclips. A decent Pin Vice is available from GW but you can get an equivalent product at a model store or railroad hobby store.

eyeolas
19-04-2007, 21:31
Plastic for my army's body 'cus it's cheaper and can be converted easyer (I like to minorly convert most of my basic modles, not just the big and important ones) and metal for the HQs and important things, just as it doesn't feal rite with a plastic leader.

Bunnahabhain
20-04-2007, 01:58
Plastic almost all the way

Cheaper. Important with a horde of Guardsmen.
Easier to work with. Several minor conversions in most squads.
Ease of swapping bits from assorted kits.
Tanks are made out of plastic.....

Occulto
20-04-2007, 02:21
Metal.

I like my minature case to go "clunk" when I put it on the table.

Plastic just feels cheap.

dblaz3r
20-04-2007, 02:30
I like metal for special/characters and plastic for the troops. A wholly metal horde would be abit of weight to be lugging around.

Codsticker
20-04-2007, 02:50
I like plastic for two reasons:
- ease of conversion
- when I drop a metal model paint flies and, if it's multi-piece, so do the pieces. Plastic doesn't damage as easy when dropped from 3.5 feet.

hush88
20-04-2007, 03:30
I like metal 'cause they give you a feel as if you are playing with expensive chess pieces.

However, painting and conversion, plastic is easier to managed.

Is it me or are the new DA plastic models actually heavier?

Coasty
20-04-2007, 12:49
Plastic all the way!

Metal models never really look right. Boyz with sharp creases on their clothes??? Er...no, thankyou. That and the bits drop off. :(

Wraithbored
20-04-2007, 13:15
Plastic, easier to convert, paitn doesn't chip, easier to transport, and you get more models per box. And the detail on recent plastics is awesome. But for the weight I love metal.

Spook101
20-04-2007, 15:39
Kinda like both, but plastic is cheeper(good for a guy with not so good pay):cries:

Wise Guy Sam
20-04-2007, 15:58
I got super glue in my eye once. this dosent happen with plastic.
If you must know i was gluing an old predators side sponsons together and i must of squeezed to much. SPLAT. Never fear im ok...

Arhalien
20-04-2007, 16:00
I got super glue in my eye once. this dosent happen with plastic.
If you must know i was gluing an old predators side sponsons together and i must of squeezed to much. SPLAT. Never fear im ok...

Ouch, that sounds painful. Superglue on the fingers is irritating enough, but on the eye... :eek:

Wise Guy Sam
20-04-2007, 16:24
Ouch, that sounds painful. Superglue on the fingers is irritating enough, but on the eye... :eek:

It was a bad day but a bit of water and maybe a tear or two(MAYBE) and i pulled up ok... the predator killed a land raider the next weekend if i remember correctly. So worth it!!!

Now i wear goggles....

RavenMorpheus
20-04-2007, 20:09
Hey i dont know if anyone has done this already but what the hey.

What do you think is overall metal models or plastic ones.

My personal opinion is that plastic is better, ok they dont have as much detail but the paint job last long and you dont have to vanish them. Ypu could to make then look better but there is not need like metal ones. Where is is best to vanish them.
Whats evern better is that i collect daemonhunters.

Macrus

Plastic - easier to convert, the paint doesn't scratch as your painting it and the detail is becoming as good as the metal.

ServanoTomasin
20-04-2007, 21:27
Got to be plastic. If it breaks its (usually) quick to repair compared to metal, and you can convert them easily. I really want techmarines and techpriest to come in multipart plastics (like SM tactical squads) - so I can pose them how I want and so I can convert them easily. Plastic Iron Hands would be good too. I don't like resin as it breaks very easily even on big units like tanks, and my titan techpriest has had his axe and arms re-inforced numerous times.

Plastic standard army options AND speacial units. My techmarines look very stupid/weird/demonic/like an ork is trying to hide in his armour as i have to pin, glue and green stuff the arms and harness arms on - so every joint is bulging with green stuff and glue. My dad (unfortunaltly for him) colects 4 metal armies - greyknights, sisters, steel legion and a fantasy army, all of which weigh a ton(literaly). For me plastic is the best (we just need more things to be plastic).

cinera
20-04-2007, 22:04
plastic, because you can drop them from really high places, and they dont brake...

Slaaneshi Slave
20-04-2007, 22:10
I hate metal models!
none of the surfaces in multi-part models fit together - i have a plasma cannon guy with a hole in his arm because the surfaces are so uneven. my daemon prince has no leg, and if i breath softly his head falls off. the parts of my vindicator are balanced on, and my tech marine is lying in ruins at the bottom of my carry case.:mad:

if i ever meet the person who makes the metal models...

Filing and pinning are your friends.

mjc1000
20-04-2007, 22:17
i actually find plastic easier to paint

Dervos
20-04-2007, 22:29
I like the plastic models much better, I have a hard time glueing together the metal pieces. Its getting to the point where I'm gonna solder the parts together :wtf:

My Farseer's arm staff keeps falling off and I have given up hope trying to re glue it again. I think its because I painted him completely before glueing him.

Slaaneshi Slave
20-04-2007, 22:33
Pin it on then. I've pinned tentacles onto the back of my FW Keeper of Secrets head, so I'm sure an arm is no problem. :p